Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th November 2012, 11:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Tata Nano Special Edition for Diwali : More goodies, same price

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp1 View Post
This is a super deal, I just missed it by a month or so. Now I am driving one for last 3 months and love the car. I was never a Tata fan, but this car made me change my perception about Tata.
Very true. I am not a fan of Tata was never one; but this car has got some kind of a charm that gets you to look at it and smile. No!! the drive and other things are not really great and thats not what make you smile. When you look at it standing still there is no awe just a plain but pleasant smile that comes to you automatically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
Congratulations on the purchase.
BTW, where are the speakers located? How many of them? Are they on the doors like in any other car?
Could you please post a few pics if possible?
The speakers are located on the front door pads. There are 2 of them.
Music system is from blaupunkt and infact very fast interface. It has a faster response than the linea or figo HU. Music is good and ample for the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
Am i the only one who spotted drilled pedals in that picture ?
I really cant believe those drilled pedals in the Nano
Yeah I spotted them too on the pic that GTO had put. But they are not present in the car. Drilled pedal would have been nice actually

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinmaybaikar View Post
Which speakers and Head unit are they providing?
Blaupunkt music system. Not sure about the speakers though.
figo_mba is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 12:26   #17
BHPian

I just called a local Tata dealer and their SA confirmed this news but then they don't give any other discount which is being given on current pre-diwali models.
Cash discount is 10k,corporate discount 3k-5k,2gm gold coin or 6k cash, and exchange bonus of 5k for 2-wheelers and 10k for 4-wheelers.
rsjaurr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th November 2012, 13:09   #18
BHPian

Good move by Tata Motors! The festive season is just round the corner and with these added goodies at same sticker price seems to be a VFM proposition. The music system and gloveboxes are most appreciated. I am in the dilemma to whether buy this one or a new Alto for my mom, what d'ya guys suggest? Does it come with powersteering? Waiting for suggestions to my post.

Thank you all,

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 11th November 2012, 09:55   #19
BHPian

Googled and found another site has some more pictures. Just sharing it for others who are interested to have a view.

TATA NANO 2012 SPECIAL EDITION

Body Graphics
Tata Nano Special Edition for Diwali : More goodies, same price-nano_special_edition_body_graphics2.jpg

Alloy wheel - Looks cool
Tata Nano Special Edition for Diwali : More goodies, same price-tata_nano_special_edition_alloys1.jpg

Dashboard - with glove box (Driver side - lockable, passenger side - normal)
Tata Nano Special Edition for Diwali : More goodies, same price-tatananospecialeditiondashboard.jpg

Pics: Courtesy Motorbash.

Mods, Please feel free to remove if against sharing a watermarked image.
ganesc is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 21:13   #20
Senior - BHPian

The steering wheel centre cover seems to be painted in the picture posted by GTO.

I wish to get those good looking stickers on my Nano soon, hope they are readily available.

I have become a die-hard TATA fan thanks to my Nano.

Last edited by silverado : 11th November 2012 at 21:15.
silverado is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2012, 22:29   #21
Senior - BHPian

Tata Nano Special Edition for Diwali : More goodies, same price-pedals.jpg
Are the aluminium pedals a new addition in this special edition or was it available in the earlier model too?

Last edited by rajeev k : 11th November 2012 at 22:33.
Old 12th November 2012, 10:31   #22
BHPian

Thanks for the various pics guys. Nano looks more VFM now.

Sorry to go below

Quote:
Originally Posted by figo_mba View Post
Guys bought one yesterday.. It is a papaya orange LX.

Cost 2.32L OTR in Kochi, Kerala.
Congrats Prashobh. A very impulsive buy huh? For the wife and baby? Let me know when you bring it to office. I am looking at the Brio AT and the Ritz AT for wifey by late Q1 2013. Nano was ruled out right at the beginning. May be seeing your car can swing my views about Nano. How about tuning it for performance (à la RaceChip for Figo)?
Old 12th November 2012, 12:03   #23
BHPian

In view if Tata really wants to sell this car, it should forget about these little changes. It has to look beyond (these small additions). And from ground zero.

1. First Nano has to shed the image that it is a replacement of a motorcycle. Every person who buys a car, wants to be seen driving a car. Some how Mr. Rattan Tata had projected that this car is basically for those who cannot afford a regular car. And now, every body sitting in Nano is classified as a 'wannabe'. So a buyer would happily ride the bike or spend a little more on a proper car.

So, the marketing and communication strategy has to establish that this can be a second car too! For those who have bigger touring cars or SUV's. No body wants to be seen driving a 'poor man's car or a 'cheap' car.

Why should I buy a 'one lac / Lukh-takiya' car. Let it be a cute and fun car. A young car in which you get your first girlfriend. A college car. There are so many options.

2. Nano is not even 'cheap' as it claims in its basic preposition. It runs on petrol. It is more expensive to run than a normal diesel hatch. It is just cheap to buy. That too not by a very big margin from its nearest competitor.

So what that it has 25 kmph ARAI figures, its basically expensive to run.

So it must have a diesel variant.

3. It sounds like an auto. Those who feel sound does not matter, well, all I can say, please try to imagine an F1 car or a sports car without the exhaust noise. From my own rallying experience, I can vouch for the fact that sound / acoustics is the most important factor.

I have been marshaling in Desert Storm, Raid-de-himalaya and F1 GP. And it is my belief that its just the sound. In 2011 edition of Mughal rally, Sunny Sidhu was leading the rally (till the time he dropped out due to engine failure). He was the fastest but did not look like he is going fast, at all. Because he was driving with stock exhaust in his Vitara. He seemed slow and not his usual self. As if, he was just driving on normal roads and not in a rally. There was no 'feel' at all in watching him go past. But I could calculate from my time sheets that he is actually gaining time and was the fastest!

And same happened in my first experience with F1 cars. There were these Formula 3000 (MRF) cars running, before F1 cars. And it seemed they are not racing at all. Because of no sound. For me F1 is pure acoustic experience.

So if Tata thinks that they can actually sell Nano in large numbers, they have to think about engine exhaust note. A car has to sound like a 'car'. Not like an auto rickshaw. Your eyes tell you that Nano is car. But ears disagree. And the sales figures tend to show, who wins. Something in the heart tells 'no, I am not going to be found driving this car. I don't want my friends to think that I am an 'auto-rickshaw' driver.

4. Nano needs a high end variant. Something like pixel. All souped up with advanced features. Really advanced. And in diesel. It should spell luxury. All feature like abs, balloons, nice music, power steering, leather seats, better interior, etc. Automatic transmission also. A real 'city version' of a high end touring car. Really loaded from the factory. And diesel version has to be noiseless and refined. NVH is the key.

It may sell less. So what, now also Nano does not sell. But this variant will help other variants to sell. Tata has to sell 20k Nano's every month to break even. If you sell 3k-7k. It is a disaster. Drastic problems need drastic measures.

Selling 1k extra on Diwali will not help much.

Last edited by wanderhermit : 12th November 2012 at 12:30.
wanderhermit is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 12:14   #24
BHPian

Last weekend The Wife and I went car shopping for her. I was pleasantly surprised when the sales rep at the Tata dealership offered us this variant. At the price this Special Edition is being sold, it's quiet a sweet deal.

Had the Nano have a power steering, I'd have put my money down that very minute. I am still confused...
Old 12th November 2012, 14:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceman7 View Post
Last weekend The Wife and I went car shopping for her. I was pleasantly surprised when the sales rep at the Tata dealership offered us this variant. At the price this Special Edition is being sold, it's quiet a sweet deal.

Had the Nano have a power steering, I'd have put my money down that very minute. I am still confused...
I guess you'll end up buying the Nano Europa. Le le bhai, it is the right time. I am pretty sure, tata might provide the option of retrofitting the Nano with Power steering at a later stage.
Old 12th November 2012, 15:10   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Congrats on the buy !

Is your car the special edition one, like shown in the picture ?
Yes mine is a special edition as specified in the pictures. It is a head turner in my 'galli' and people have a look when I park at any place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Attachment 1013214
Are the aluminium pedals a new addition in this special edition or was it available in the earlier model too?
No, the aluminium drilled pedals are not available. Would've loved to have it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by basilmabraham View Post
Thanks for the various pics guys. Nano looks more VFM now.

Sorry to go below

A very impulsive buy huh? For the wife and baby? Let me know when you bring it to office. I am looking at the Brio AT and the Ritz AT for wifey by late Q1 2013. Nano was ruled out right at the beginning. May be seeing your car can swing my views about Nano. How about tuning it for performance (à la RaceChip for Figo)?
yeah I planned 2weeks for this.

I think the Nano will not be a match for either the Brio or Ritz.
Refinement, Big Car feel will not there.

Having said that The Nano does not require that many gear shifts so essentially it is easy to trot around the city.
The power is adequate for the city.
the maintenance cost is Rs3200 including consumables.

And the AT version of Brio or Ritz would cost atleast 3L OTR more than Nano. Considering this I would say Nano is VFM.

Pics on FB and will bring the car to office. PM me your number.
Old 12th November 2012, 16:24   #27
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Am i the only one who spotted drilled pedals in that picture ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajeev k View Post
Guys, sorry for creating this misunderstanding. The second picture was taken from Parry's ACI Show Thread which had a souped up Nano on display. Used that picture only to show the twin gloveboxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
I am pretty sure, tata might provide the option of retrofitting the Nano with Power steering at a later stage.
The probability of Tata offering this option is next to 0%.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th November 2012, 19:08   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderhermit View Post
In view if Tata really wants to sell this car, it should forget about these little changes. It has to look beyond (these small additions). And from ground zero.

1. First Nano has to shed the image that it is a replacement of a motorcycle. Every person who buys a car, wants to be seen driving a car. Some how Mr. Rattan Tata had projected that this car is basically for those who cannot afford a regular car. And now, every body sitting in Nano is classified as a 'wannabe'. So a buyer would happily ride the bike or spend a little more on a proper car.

2. Nano is not even 'cheap' as it claims in its basic preposition. It runs on petrol. It is more expensive to run than a normal diesel hatch. It is just cheap to buy. That too not by a very big margin from its nearest competitor.

So it must have a diesel variant.

3. It sounds like an auto. Those who feel sound does not matter, well, all I can say, please try to imagine an F1 car or a sports car without the exhaust noise. From my own rallying experience, I can vouch for the fact that sound / acoustics is the most important factor.

4. Nano needs a high end variant. Something like pixel. All souped up with advanced features. Really advanced. And in diesel. It should spell luxury. All feature like abs, balloons, nice music, power steering, leather seats, better interior, etc. Automatic transmission also. A real 'city version' of a high end touring car. Really loaded from the factory. And diesel version has to be noiseless and refined. NVH is the key.
Although I would love to see the aforementioned changes in the Nano, the problem is that most of them are not possible. The main reason being the cost factor involved.

According to me, the major reason for the relatively low sales figure has been the over ambitious advertising of it being the cheapest car ever. And as you correctly pointed out, no one wants to be seen in the cheapest car on the roads. Hence the dismal sales figures.

However coming to the the other point you stated, about it not being a cheap car to run. Well it is! The whole point of nano was to be a car that was cheap to buy and it is. The nano starts at an ex-showroom price of 1.42L and its main competitor the alto starts from 2.40L. Which ever way one sees it, that is nearly a difference of a lakh rupees. The ARAI figures of 25kmpl is the best in all the segments. It simply cannot do better than that without some significant engine upgrades which would again cost more money.

Regarding the sound, it does sound like an auto however i have heard that the new V2 Nano has some better insulation. And also the sound intrusion inside the cabin(specially on the front seats) is way less than what you hear on the outside.

Then there are talks going on of the Nano having a Diesel heart, however note that a diesel engine would drive the price up even more. Although i'm confident even that would be priced way below its competitors.

Regarding a true top end variant, well again although it sounds fun to have a top end nano with airbads,abs and leather and all i really dont think it would get many buyers. Although I agree it could do with better interiors, but no matter how much you improve it from the inside, it would still remain a Nano and the buyers who are not buying it now, well they wont buy it then as well .
I drove the nano some months after its launch. A friend of mine was getting an Audi A4. One day he showed up at my place unannounced, called me and said to come out and see something special. I , barely half awake, walked out expecting to see the A4 and instead what I saw was a silver colored Nano. All the excitement shattered, i refused to drive the nano under the influence of all the reviews which went on in great lengths about how sad an experience driving the nano was.I still gave it a try and boy was I in for a shock. I would be lying if i said it was the best thing ever, but for the cheapest car on the road, it was worth every penny! It handled the turns beautifully, there was significant power from the engine to go upto 80kmph and the suspension was doing a great job over potholes and bumps. I returned mighty impressed.

I for once feel the Nano is a great product. The only reason for its lack lustrous sales is the negative image that it has got for being the cheapest car money can buy.

But indeed Mr. Ratan Tata did show to the world that you need not spend a fortune to own a car.

Last edited by Enigmatic : 12th November 2012 at 19:09.
Enigmatic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th November 2012, 00:22   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigmatic View Post
According to me, the major reason for the relatively low sales figure has been the over ambitious advertising of it being the cheapest car ever. And as you correctly pointed out, no one wants to be seen in the cheapest car on the roads. Hence the dismal sales figures.
I believe that was the original strategy, project it as a "cheap car". But as we all know, it back fired. The latest promotions of Nano, project it as a "Fun Car". So TM also acknowledges this fact. All they need to do is more promotions to go with the next upgrade/update(2013).
Old 14th November 2012, 21:38   #30
BHPian

Found below on a website.

Quote:
Additionally Tata claims to have improved the suspension setup, including an anti-roll bar at the front, and a steering mechanism made even easier. While the cabin is quiet, a racier sounding exhaust note gives the Tata Nano a more assertive road presence.
Have they really done some changes? I was in particular interested in knowing the changes to steering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks