Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2012, 13:09   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neerajpv87
Earlier a 1.2 TSI with GTI badging was spotted testing, and now this 1.6 GTDI. Which one's gonna get launched? Or would both never see daylight?
Both will come, in due time. Add to it, the 1.5L diesel engine later. These are supposed to launch by 2014, one by one.

Also OD mag claims that DSG is not confirmed for TSi yet while ACI speculates it will come.
Old 18th November 2012, 14:29   #32
Distinguished - BHPian

re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

1.6 will complement the Polo really well. It will be a good deal for those not looking for slap on boot(Vento), personally i feel Polo looks a lot better than the sedan version- Vento. As of now there is no real Diesel Driver's car amongst the hatchbacks, i20 has the performance and engine but loses out on drive involvement while Punto has everything sorted but those 90 horses are just an illusion. I'd love to see this Polo variant with slightly sporty suspension.

They need to sort out the NVH for these smaller engines on priority basis. This engine sounds loud and crude in Vento/Rapid, sound insulation needs to be beefed up.

VW is smart enough, the DSG might never make it to Polo/Vento. The only DSG that can be used with these small engines is the problematic DQ200 7 speed dry type transmission (the one used in Superb 1.8 TSI).
.anshuman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 17:10   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dipen View Post
Can someone project how much more excise does the manufacturer actually have to shell out when it moves from 1.2L to 1.6L. How is this calculated.
Rules for excise duty are based on engine size and length of the car. They are as follows:

Petrol:
For engine size less than 1200cc AND length less than 4 metres, excise duty = 12%
For engine size less than 1500 cc and any length, excise duty = 24%
For engine size greater than 1500cc and any length, excise duty = 27%

Diesel:
For engine size less than 1500cc AND length less than 4 metres, excise duty = 12%
sarthakgupta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 20th November 2012, 18:01   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
wow. great news. A worthy replacement for my rocket hatch Getz Crdi.

Yes that was a Diesel rocket hatch, which could put many unsuspecting cars to shame on the road. It met all the criteria as below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Whenever anyone asks me why hot hatches don't sell in India, I always answer "Because they were all petrol!". Drive a 100 BHP petrol hard and it'll give you 7 kpl. That's enough for the car to be treated like a disease in the market. Diesels, on the other hand, can be acceptably fuel-efficient even with a heavy right foot.

The sore point with the Polo diesel was always its 3-cylinder motor. On the other hand, VW's 1.6L TDI is easily an all-rounder. Fast, efficient and good driveability. I'm only wondering why VW took so long.

Bring it on! I have a feeling this might just be the best hatchback in India.

Fun, related read here
I guess the reasons it did not sell (even for the i20 crdi) the way it should have are

1> Price
2> Not enough publicity/marketing
3> Not involving enough (steering/handling standpoint)

Would VW repeat the same? Well, thats anyones guess! But from what we have seen untill this point :-

1> They are not known for aggressive pricing
2> Did they market the Polo 1.6 enough?
3> Does Polo offer the most exciting drivers package?

To top that, they have the after sales horror stories with them.

Lets hope VW takes care of all these factors and give us the first successful hot diesel sub-10 lakh hatch in India.
Old 20th November 2012, 18:19   #35
BHPian

I doubt the success of this model. Given that the 1.6 TDI will only be available in highline & the significant rise in excise duty, the ex-showroom will come dangerously close to mid variants of vento & rapid. The snub value of a sedan will seduce much more than that of a hot hatch, IMO.
Old 20th November 2012, 18:31   #36
BHPian

The present gen Polo gets the 1.6 Diesel and 1.2 Tsi Petrol right??What about the next generation Polo??When is that expected.The 1.5D is expected for that or the present generation Polo??
Old 20th November 2012, 21:05   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

IMO this news is speculative. The 1.6 TDI will not be a vehicle that VW looks launch inorder to draw the masses cost being prohibitive and in this case nearing the Vento /Rapid pricing.

In India the masses would prefer a sedan to a hatch when pricing differential is not
much.

2014 looks to be more realistic when India could see the new launches from VW.

Cheers!
Old 20th November 2012, 23:02   #38
Senior - BHPian

So has the 1.5D launch been pushed to later than 2014 ? I don't understand VW's strategy, offering a 1.6 TDI at 9+ lakhs and then bringing in the 1.5D much later with a revised (downwards hopefully) pricing

But if this model ever sees the light of the day, it'll probably be the most powerful diesel hatchback with the dynamics to make full use of all those 105 horses! In that case, the life of my 1.2D will be severely shortened
Old 21st November 2012, 00:10   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Rules for excise duty are based on engine size and length of the car. They are as follows:

Petrol:
For engine size less than 1200cc AND length less than 4 metres, excise duty = 12%

Diesel:
For engine size less than 1500cc AND length less than 4 metres, excise duty = 12%
Can you also project the actual amount of duties in case of a 1.2L and 1.6L engine in the Polo assuming some fixed parameters.
Old 21st November 2012, 02:23   #40
Senior - BHPian

Polo with 1.6 TDI? It is good news. Can we also expect Fabia 1.6 TDI as well? I like Fabia than the cramped Polo.

The current OTR of Polo 1.2 TDI Highline in Chennai is 8.13L. So, I guess the Polo 1.6 TDI won't be available for nothing less than 9L in Chennai.

VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-polo.jpg

Last edited by rameshnanda : 21st November 2012 at 02:28.
Old 21st November 2012, 07:49   #41
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
IMO this news is speculative. The 1.6 TDI will not be a vehicle that VW looks launch inorder to draw the masses cost being prohibitive and in this case nearing the Vento /Rapid pricing.

In India the masses would prefer a sedan to a hatch when pricing differential is not
much.

2014 looks to be more realistic when India could see the new launches from VW.
Speculative or not, if VW is planning to launch the Polo with 1.6 TDI, that too with a GTD moniker, it definitely will not be aimed at masses or to generate volume. GTI/GTD are not volume-sellers, and I won’t be surprised if its priced in the small sedan (Vento) category.

I believe it’s good for the customers to have more options to choose from.

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st November 2012 at 07:58.
Old 21st November 2012, 18:01   #42
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
IMO this news is speculative. In India the masses would prefer a sedan to a hatch when pricing differential is not
much.
This news aint just speculative IMO. Bringing a 1.6D is always good considering the fact that enthusiasts will choose it over a Vento. Since its a diesel, it wont be creating much of a hole in the pocket as well. THe only downer to 1.6 petrol was the ever-increasing petrol prices and the low mileage. Still, many enthusiasts bought the 1.6 right. Much more than those will buy the 1.6D, if it comes out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
So has the 1.5D launch been pushed to later than 2014
i doubt if the 1.5D will make it after this. Even the 1.2TSI has less chance of making it to our markets, i think.

Quote:
But if this model ever sees the light of the day, it'll probably be the most powerful diesel hatchback with the dynamics to make full use of all those 105 horses!
. The powerful diesel amongst the hatches currently is i20 and it just cant utilize the entire output of its motor. Hopefully, this does.
Old 28th December 2012, 22:27   #43
BHPian

Guys any updates on when the car is going to be released??My Vento purchase has been pushed to early February.Any chances of this car launching by then??

Last edited by KINI : 28th December 2012 at 22:28.
Old 29th December 2012, 11:28   #44
BHPian

Saw the Polo SEDAN with a TDI batch being tested om Ahmednagar highway yesterday. It was a left hand drive.
Old 29th December 2012, 12:52   #45
BHPian

A 1.6 Diesel... sounds fun.

But till its available in the shop next door, the true hot hatch for me will always be the PALIO S10 (not the GTX).
She was somehting, also when it came to paying the fuel stations. :-)
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks