Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th May 2013, 14:00   #91
BHPian

re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Lack of performance is not the only problem with current 3 cylinder TDI engine, it also fares bad in NVH part. 1.6 TDI is much much better in smoothness and power delivery characteristics, but it still is louder than competition.

I really doubt if they will offer a tdi dsg in Polo, even if they plan it, the prices will be higher than Vento TDI.
What about using their standard torque converter auto tranny?
The one in the Vento and Rapid?
Old 25th May 2013, 19:07   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mango_pal View Post

What about using their standard torque converter auto tranny?
The one in the Vento and Rapid?
As far as I know that gearbox cannot handle 250nm torque which the 1.6 TDI makes, if it could handle this much torque VW would have offered Diesel AT from day one.
Old 26th May 2013, 00:26   #93
BHPian

Its speculations all around with respect to the engine spec in this car. I am kind of sure that it wont be a 1.5 TDi - as many have rightly pointed out that they do not have that engine anywhere in the world.
It can very well be 1.6 TDi as its just a direct implant from a Vento. But then its going to cost VW a lot due as it will not get the excise duty concession. A hatch back with 10+ Lakh on road would not make it a hot seller.

IMHO , VW can very well use the current 1.2L TDi engine , but with a remapped ecu ? If we compare the specs of 1.2 TDi and 1.6 TDi , it looks like this
1.6 TDi

Performance
Max. Power (PS (kW) @ rpm) 105 (77) @ 4400
Max. torque (Nm @ rpm) 250 @ 1500- 2500

1.2 TDi

Performance
Max. Power (PS (kW) @ rpm) 75 (55) @ 4200
Max. torque (Nm @ rpm) 180 @ 2000

Thats 40% more Bhp and Torque.

If they use a remapped ECU and try churning out around 25-30% more BHp and Toque, they would be able to position the car above the current TDi highline and price it aggressively with a manual gearbox.

So there you go one more speculation .
Old 26th May 2013, 00:50   #94
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
A hatch back with 10+ Lakh on road would not make it a hot seller
If they use a remapped ECU and try churning out around 25-30% more BHp and Toque, they would be able to position the car above the current TDi highline and price it aggressively with a manual gearbox.

I agree that a 10 lakh diesel hatch won't sell but I don't think VW is looking for volumes with the GT models.
They can't push the engine to the max because most manufacturers leave a margin to factor in customers who don't service their cars regularly,longevity of components, fuel quality etc.
Adding a performance ECU may not be a safe bet. Even at the risk of pricing it high VW is better off using a tried and tested engine like the 1.6tdi in the same spec as its being sold for the last 2 or 3 years

Last edited by shashank.nk : 26th May 2013 at 01:12.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:33   #95
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejoycjohn View Post
Its speculations all around with respect to the engine spec in this car. I am kind of sure that it wont be a 1.5 TDi - as many have rightly pointed out that they do not have that engine anywhere in the world.
It can very well be 1.6 TDi as its just a direct implant from a Vento. But then its going to cost VW a lot due as it will not get the excise duty concession. A hatch back with 10+ Lakh on road would not make it a hot seller.

IMHO , VW can very well use the current 1.2L TDi engine , but with a remapped ecu ? If we compare the specs of 1.2 TDi and 1.6 TDi , it looks like this
1.6 TDi

Performance
Max. Power (PS (kW) @ rpm) 105 (77) @ 4400
Max. torque (Nm @ rpm) 250 @ 1500- 2500

1.2 TDi

Performance
Max. Power (PS (kW) @ rpm) 75 (55) @ 4200
Max. torque (Nm @ rpm) 180 @ 2000

Thats 40% more Bhp and Torque.

There is an engine tuning box for the 1.2 TDI available in UK for £400 that increases power to 90 PS and torque to 210 NM.
Old 28th May 2013, 14:53   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
I agree that a 10 lakh diesel hatch won't sell but I don't think VW is looking for volumes with the GT models.
They can't push the engine to the max because most manufacturers leave a margin to factor in customers who don't service their cars regularly,longevity of components, fuel quality etc.
Adding a performance ECU may not be a safe bet. Even at the risk of pricing it high VW is better off using a tried and tested engine like the 1.6tdi in the same spec as its being sold for the last 2 or 3 years
I do agree that the added Power & Torque can make the parts wear faster. But then I understand that normally the factor of safety is high on automotive engine components - normally at 6-8.
So well adding 30% more torque will not be disastrous.

Moreover, currently 1.2 TDi engine is at the excise slab of 12% and making it a 1.6 TDi would get that car into 27%. Thats a whopping 15% increase in the
cost of the car.

We got to watch out and see how VW will price the car in either case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
There is an engine tuning box for the 1.2 TDI available in UK for £400 that increases power to 90 PS and torque to 210 NM.
Is the one that you mentioned here is a kit officially from the VW showroom? Or is it just another after market one ?
If its factory fitted, then its the best case.
Old 28th May 2013, 15:10   #97
BHPian

Great news!. A desirable car indeed!..Well, everything depends on the pricing. A strong rival for the i20 crdi.
Old 29th May 2013, 16:07   #98
Senior - BHPian

Motorbeam seems to have spotted 1.6 TDI with DSG:

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/volksw...speed-dsg-box/

Quote:
Volkswagen’s next launch in India is the Polo GT TDI, which we recently spotted in Mumbai. The vehicle was parked and we could only get a quick picture of the rear. However a quick glimpse of the interiors revealed the 7-speed DSG box.
Old 29th May 2013, 16:49   #99
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ No DSG snaps though they claim to have seen the inside of the vehicle?

Wonder what it would be priced? Close to the new Octavia base spec? and more than the Vento and Rapid. It would have made for better logic from a sales point of view to place this in the Vento. Maybe they will indeed do that as well.

Of course it would me more exciting to drive in the Polo 1.6D.
Old 29th May 2013, 17:38   #100
Senior - BHPian

Was reading through the article and was shocked when they reported this:

Quote:
The 1.6-litre diesel engine comes from the Vento but it won’t produce the same output of 105 BHP and 250 Nm. Instead Volkswagen will offer a detuned version of the same engine for better fuel economy. The Polo GT TDI will produce 93 BHP of power at 4200 RPM and 230 Nm of torque between 1750-2500 RPM. The vehicle will get all the features present in the GT TSI.
If they're speculations are true, this may not be as fast as we'd have expected a Polo 1.6D to be, not to forget with ALL the features of the TSI pricing can be more than what the Vento Highline Diesel costs today.

Will be interesting to see how many VW will manage to sell then!
Old 29th May 2013, 19:01   #101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Was reading through the article and was shocked when they reported this:

If they're speculations are true, this may not be as fast as we'd have expected a Polo 1.6D to be, not to forget with ALL the features of the TSI pricing can be more than what the Vento Highline Diesel costs today.

Will be interesting to see how many VW will manage to sell then!
Will not be a lot of effort to raise the output back to 100+ bhp levels. Pete's and other tuning companies would definitely be able to get something out in the market for that. That said, I wonder how VW will manage warranty on chipped cars.

Anyway, I don't agree on calling this GTD. It is GT TDI.
Old 29th May 2013, 19:07   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
That said, I wonder how VW will manage warranty on chipped cars.

Anyway, I don't agree on calling this GTD. It is GT TDI.
As far as I know if you remap/add tuning box to your car and the manufacturer discovers it you're warranty is void.
So any engine troubles post modification will be a huge problem and remap or tuning box will add a lot more stress to that DSG box if motorbeam is to be believed.
Too much to lose for a 5-10 bhp gain IMO

Last edited by shashank.nk : 29th May 2013 at 19:11.
Old 29th May 2013, 19:18   #103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As far as I know if you remap/add tuning box to your car and the manufacturer discovers it you're warranty is void.
So any engine troubles post modification will be a huge problem and remap or tuning box will add a lot more stress to that DSG box if motorbeam is to be believed.
Too much to lose for a 5-10 bhp gain IMO
Not sure about that - APR tuned cars - that a lot of VW owners use all over the world - I know at least a few people whose cars are remapped and still covered by manufacturer warranty . The tuning boxes don't give you just a raise in the peak power, usually the torque and power curves become much broader and makes the car easier to cruise around also.

Also, the DSG box can easily take upto 250 nm of torque and 140 bhp of power, AFAIK. Anyway, we are wandering off topic - VW wanted the car to be more efficient yet more powerful, I suppose.
Old 29th May 2013, 19:32   #104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vineethvazhayil View Post
Not sure about that - APR tuned cars - that a lot of VW owners use all over the world - I know at least a few people whose cars are remapped and still covered by manufacturer warranty . The tuning boxes don't give you just a raise in the peak power, usually the torque and power curves become much broader and makes the car easier to cruise around also.
OT. Henceforth will continue on PM if need be

Yes warranty will still be there but if some big ticket item fails and you try to claim warranty, its not very difficult for the manf to find it out, and then they will surely void you're warranty. Despite the drivability and performance gains, warranty headaches will always be at the back of your mind. All in all not worth it IMO, Id much rather have VW give me the exact specs as in the Vento

Quote:
Also, the DSG box can easily take upto 250 nm of torque and 140 bhp of power, AFAIK. Anyway, we are wandering off topic - VW wanted the car to be more efficient yet more powerful, I suppose.
No it cannot 'easily' handle such power The DQ 200 (presuming that goes into the Polo) can handle a max 250nm torque and we've seen failures in many Petrol Superb's as the gearbox was pushed to its max.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd June 2013, 20:04   #105

Spotted a POLO GTI TDI near the VW chakan factory.
Attached Thumbnails
VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched-picture1.jpg  

arzoro is offline   (5) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks