Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th November 2012, 16:25   #1
BHPian

VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Mod Note : Team-BHP's review of the Polo GT TDI has been taken live at this link. Please continue the discussion over on the review thread. Thanks!

According to AutocarIndia, VW will launch the Polo GTD version with 1.6 TDI engine in India soon. This model will cost significantly higher than 1.2 TDI version due to the fact that it lies in the 27% tax bracket (as opposed to 12% tax on 1.2 TDi version).

Quote:
The carmaker plans to launch India’s first diesel hot hatch by plonking the Vento’s 1.6-litre diesel motor under the hood. Performance is likely to be better than the current Vento saloon as the Polo weighs 90kg less. The GTD is expected to have a lot more attitude with a body kit, low-profile tyres and other sporty bits as part of the package, spicing the hatch up.

VW plans to launch the Polo GTD early in 2013. The heavily accessorised GTD will cost significantly more than the existing 1.2 diesel Polo as the excise duty will be higher on the 1.6 engine.
Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/323...n-its-way.aspx

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2013 at 21:21. Reason: Link to review
sarthakgupta is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 16:33   #2
BHPian

re: VW Polo 1.6L GT TDI coming EDIT: Now launched

Ok, so that sounds official. If priced right, this "hot n soot"-hatch could be the econo-sport ride that many need.

I hope this doesn't eat into the Rapid or Vento's pie and bite VW's own tail because the price difference may lure many people to do away with the boot.
mempheS.D is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th November 2012, 16:45   #3
BHPian

This is a very good news for hot hatch lovers. Seems like VW is the only one addressing the needs of hatch lovers. Even though its gonna sell much lesser quantities, its still a very good option for those who dont want to lug a boot around and for enthusiasts as well. The only problem which the 1.6 petrol had was the higher running costs, as its a petrol.

Last edited by akhil_rpmlover : 15th November 2012 at 16:47.
Old 15th November 2012, 20:07   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
According to AutocarIndia, VW will launch the Polo GTD version with 1.6 TDI engine in India soon. This model will cost significantly higher than 1.2 TDI version due to the fact that it lies in the 27% tax bracket (as opposed to 12% tax on 1.2 TDi version).

Source: http://www.autocarindia.com/News/323...n-its-way.aspx
I am very tempted to be excited reading this news in various websites. However I saw the same post in Autocar UK . The only difference is that the news is more than 3 years old in that website .
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...-not-ruled-out

Now even if that is true what about some other news about 1.5TDI just for India ? What about the next generation polo which will be based on MQB platform ? It should be a mandate that even those websites who quote such information reveal atleast a clue about the source of the same.
Old 15th November 2012, 20:51   #5
BHPian

Wasn't there some talk of an impending 1.2 TSI release as well? I wonder when that will happen.
Old 15th November 2012, 20:51   #6
Senior - BHPian

A hot hatch diesel and a car that will be good to drive. The only catch will be the noise. This VW diesel is not the benchmark in any department but will reward you with good acceleration and pulling power. The only worry is the pricing. If Hyundai can price the i20 diesel at over 9lac in my city, the Polo will easily hit 10lacs. Hatches at 10lacs. When you look back, 10 years ago, a Fiat Palio Gtx set you back just 5 lacs and it was a rocket.
sandeepmohan is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 00:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

Wait! What?? Its coming for real?? My Ritz started feeling old all of a sudden and the Polo 1.6 TDi is a worthy replacement. The current 1.2 Tdi costs 8.8Lakhs on-road Mumbai, so it is safe to expect the 1.6 to be at 10 lakhs. But you get a handsome vehicle with a cracker of an engine and that makes this a mouth watering deal.

I wonder what are the guys at Ford waiting for?? The Fiesta hatch is nowhere on the cards. Sad

Last edited by S2!!! : 16th November 2012 at 00:39.
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 07:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

When Polo 1.6 MPI was available, I think the ex-showroom price difference was only about 30k Rs compared to the 1.2 petrol top end. That difference would just have gone into the additional tax!

Will VW price 1.6 TDI similarly, or will they get too optimistic with diesel-thirsty Indian car buyers?
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 08:11   #9
Senior - BHPian

Amazing news! This will be one very desirable car.

GTD is the GTI version, but in Diesel. I just hope the 1.6 TDI is in a higher state of tune in the hatch.
Old 16th November 2012, 09:11   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Hatches at 10lacs. When you look back, 10 years ago, a Fiat Palio Gtx set you back just 5 lacs and it was a rocket.
Why go back 10 years? I bought my Palio 1.6 Sport 5 years back and it cost 4.8 lakh OTR. With discounts, it was 4.5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
When Polo 1.6 MPI was available, I think the ex-showroom price difference was only about 30k Rs compared to the 1.2 petrol top end. That difference would just have gone into the additional tax!

Will VW price 1.6 TDI similarly, or will they get too optimistic with diesel-thirsty Indian car buyers?
I too hope that they keep a small (ish) price difference between the Highline Diesel and the GTD, otherwise it may be too costly and negate any savings in running costs over the anticipated 1.2 TSI.
Old 16th November 2012, 12:04   #11
BHPian

How VW decides to tag the Polo GTD will be the key to its success and I'm certainly not talking volumes here. The article states that the GTD is likely to cost "significantly more than" current Polo 1.2 TDI. Now that is tricky business. Psychologically speaking, anything upward of 9 Lacs OTR means you're on serious sedan territory; as a result of which buyers are forced to rethink and reconsider other options. You're more likely to be chided than applauded by friends/family on forking out a million bucks on a hatch - however potent it may be under the hood. Although VW may not expect large volumes on the GTD, to have a decent shot at success (whatever that barometer may be) it is vital that they keep this Indian psyche in mind.

Hot hatches are great, but in India the niche or performance market is a miniscule fraction of the total sample unlike in the US, Europe, Australia etc.. We are, and will remain, a price sensitive market.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 16th November 2012 at 12:08.
Omtoatom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 13:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Hot hatches are great, but in India the niche or performance market is a miniscule fraction of the total sample unlike in the US, Europe, Australia etc.. We are, and will remain, a price sensitive market.
True. Performance variants of popular cars have never clicked in our country. Even if people are ready to pay the higher one time price for the powerful variant, the thought of incurring higher fuel costs on running the car becomes a deal breaker for many.

THis is where technology can come to the rescue of these 'sport variants' . If the car maker is able to offer a more powerful engine with minimum sacrifice in fuel efficiency , I feel they can attract a lot of buyers. Take the example of the i10. The 1.2 outsells the 1.0 by a huge margin. I am sure if the 1.6 TDi Polo is nearly as fuel efficient as the 1.2 TDi with the help of newer technology, it will sell. Of course VW has to get its pricing right.
Santoshbhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th November 2012, 13:16   #13
Senior - BHPian

I think the GTD will be launched as a "Limited Edition" model and will sell side by side with the 1.2 TDi. The 1.6 GTD, however, will have a limited production and will only attract niche buyers looking for a hot hatch and are least concerned with the fuel efficiency figures! As for the price it could range anywhere between 7.5 to 9L! Ofcourse all this is speculation
Old 16th November 2012, 13:46   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
[/url]
Can someone project how much more excise does the manufacturer actually have to shell out when it moves from 1.2L to 1.6L. How is this calculated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
The current 1.2 Tdi costs 8.8Lakhs on-road Mumbai,
Is it so high. If yes, suddenly the Swift ZDI @ 7.8 OTR Mumbai sounds VFM. Even the Honda City Corporate with the full safety kit is 8.5ish OTR Mumbai. Add another 50 for alloys and ICE. Still worth it.

Last edited by dipen : 16th November 2012 at 13:50.
Old 16th November 2012, 13:51   #15
BHPian

The million dollar question is what sort of a premium would a customer be willing to pay for the improved performance?

A tuning box costs around 30k with suspect long term reliability. If VW manages to sell it at a premium of say 60k, I would say a lot of people might consider it.

The 1.2 is too sluggish, so those going for 1.6 need not necessarily be performance freaks. They could be the normal variety who like their cars to have decent pick up and mileage and not have to wrestle with the gearbox every time an overtaking is required.

The mileage loss should not bother anyone much, only thing would be the premium over the 1.2.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks