Ford Figo 28 6.28%
Toyota Etios Liva 12 2.69%
VW Polo 17 3.81%
Honda Jazz 4 0.90%
Voters: 446. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2012, 19:07   #76
BHPian

Re: Hatchback with the best ride quality on bad roads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevermax View Post
If it was the case of owners trying to protect their buy, surely Punto wouldn't have received this many votes and a very popular car would have came on top.

This indeed reflects punto's superiority on this department. Fiat users are micro minority and on a forum like this, the ratio of Punto users will be much much less than say swift.
@clevermax - that Punto has received such a high percentage w.r.t. others could strongly indicate that Punto is the "Hatchback with the best ride quality on bad roads", as we all understand these terms in general. Of course this forum has far more Punto users as compared to the market (I recall another poll that seemed to confirm that but could not get in quick time) so I do not know the effect of bias.

But what if Punto (or any other car for that matter) had received closely competing responses? My point was that polls such as this one is not the right way to get the answer. We surely cannot say that based on how we get the answers.

Cheers,
Old 21st November 2012, 20:35   #77
Senior - BHPian

Any reason why the Honda Jazz has not been considered?
Old 21st November 2012, 21:02   #78
BHPian

I have driven 8 of the cars in the list above and can safely say that the Punto beats others in ride quality. Only pain point with Punto was its ground clearance - but its fixed in the 2012 model.

Punto has great ride in all kind of roads, great handling and over and above sturdy build (coupled with the underbelly protection plate) that offers peace of mind. Lot of other cars gives you a heartache when driven on bad potholes, from the fear of breaking something on the car...
Old 21st November 2012, 23:09   #79
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilful View Post
Any reason why the Honda Jazz has not been considered?
I'm not sure why the Jazz is not considered. Will add that. that said, here are my thoughts on the Jazz's ride-quality:

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The Ritz, Polo and Palio are decent on bad surfaces, but the Jazz? I don't think so. It's quite stiff and thuds often do creep into the cabin. It is also unsettled when the road is uneven especially if you're going at the rate of *legal* knots. I can vouch for this as we recently covered 2000 km in our Jazz after a long break. The Bangalore - Goa round trip is a more comfortable affair these days, especially if you take the right route.
Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
vb_san and crazydriver are quite right.

Like I'd mentioned before, we'd just done a 2000 km B'lore - Goa round trip in our Jazz and I found the ride to be quite bumpy. Off-camber corners will throw it off, on smooth-tarmac-yet-uneven highways it feels choppy, AND over rough surfaces you do feel much of it and if it's deep it will be felt and heard in the cabin. Road noise crept into the cabin often, but that's probably due to the MRFs.

** 95% of the roads were pretty good.
================================================== ==================================================

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post

But what if Punto (or any other car for that matter) had received closely competing responses? My point was that polls such as this one is not the right way to get the answer. We surely cannot say that based on how we get the answers.
The Punto's ride is fantastic, I've got to agree with the rest.

But you're right. A poll like this may not calk it out precisely. It's a bit skewed.

The reason for this could be the fact that not all might have driven every car and especially under testing conditions. And that's perfectly alright.

I believe the Sail is a top-contender when it comes to ride-quality / composure. At least the low speed ride. Maybe it wasn't as composed as its European competition, but it rides like a dream. On the highway, the twitchy steering gives the car a slightly nervous feel. But the suspension absorbs a great deal without making a noise about it. Very few thuds crept into the Sail's cabin, and only when I'd intentionally gone into pretty deep pot-holes and at speed mind you. I reckon it's one of the car's USPs. Like I'd mentioned earlier, the Liva's ride is great too and it compliments the acres of space rather well. The only downside is the poor NVH, especially in the diesel thanks to the clatter.

The Micra has a compliant ride, low speed ride is good but thuds did creep into the cabin from time to time.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 21st November 2012 at 23:13.
Old 21st November 2012, 23:41   #80
BANNED

Been with the Ritz for almost 2 years now and 74000 kms of all bad roads and highways. Not biased as I own the car but these are my opinions.

I don't find the car to be harsh on bad roads but ya it ain't good either. It feels a little bumpy on undulations and on rough patches the sounds creeps in a bit more than desired. Sometimes when the speed is a little more than needed it bounces but if correctly done then the suspension takes in all well.

Anurag.
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:08   #81
BHPian

Punto has great ride on bad roads. I do not own one but this is based on the test drive on really bad service roads at moderate speed.

Our little A Star AT also surprised us with its ride quality. We recently drove over about 500 kms completely broken ghat roads and highway in rural maharasthra and the car performed extremely well, including a few nose dives into craters at high speed. The ground clearance is adequate, and ride is stable over craters and broken roads. However, some of it do filter into the cabin, but there is no noise. We could cover the distance in about 10 hours or so.

Last edited by sumannandy : 22nd November 2012 at 09:09.
Old 22nd November 2012, 09:54   #82
BANNED

Anna, Barring the Etios, Nissan Micra, Sail and the Pulse. I have most of my relatives and friends with other brands, and yes, i have Driven 80% of the cars in that list over long stretches.

Punto comes First Hands down , followed by the Polo.

2 of my friends Punto that i have driven Extensively. Sujith1100 and SidIndica

And i dont see a reason for people to vote for a car brand blindly in such a poll. And that too a FIAT There must be a reason na...!
Attached Thumbnails
Hatchback with the best ride quality on bad roads?-269031_241531985857707_5451626_n.jpg  

Hatchback with the best ride quality on bad roads?-318898_500014203366203_627019855_n.jpg  

Last edited by GTO : 23rd November 2012 at 19:29. Reason: Quoted post deleted
PAVAN KADAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:40   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Having owned one for more than 70k kms, i speak from experience & my VOTE goes to Punto, it absolutely flattens the bad patches without leaving its line & the suspension has held up pretty well.

Also i feel the new Chevy Sail is a worthy contender

PS - Did own a Swift Ldi ( Did aprox 60k kms ) before the Punto , but wasnt as sturdy/bad road friendly as the Punto

Last edited by karan561 : 22nd November 2012 at 10:57.
karan561 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 10:50   #84
Senior - BHPian

Note from Support - Keep it clean guys. Avoid personal attacks and sort out any differences offline via PM if necessary.
n_aditya is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:09   #85
BHPian

at slow speeds i would say Figo bumps the passenger off the seat some times but at an average speed or say more than 30 - 40, u would love to have a purchased a FIGO.
my votes is for Figo or a punto but i dont agree on palio as i never felt it close to figo too.
Old 22nd November 2012, 21:34   #86
Senior - BHPian

T A T A - I N D I C A - V I S T A

Take a ride in it once and feel it.

Last edited by silverado : 22nd November 2012 at 21:35.
Old 22nd November 2012, 22:28   #87
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Punto without doubt and its no surprise that it has got most number of votes. What is surprising to me is that it is followed by Vista. To be honest, I did not expect this. In my opinion, I would say that Skoda Fabia should be the next best.
Old 23rd November 2012, 08:21   #88
BHPian

In my opinion, the ride quality experienced by a front- and back-seat passengers will be different. The i20 is a driver's car and mainly meant for city driving. The driver might not experience bumpy roads and craters as much as the back passengers.
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:27   #89
Senior - BHPian

Vooted for the Ritz coz it is really made for bad roads in India. I almost feel sorry to take my figo over the same roads that I do with gay abondon with my Ritz.
Old 23rd November 2012, 09:33   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sumannandy
Punto has great ride on bad roads. I do not own one but this is based on the test drive on really bad service roads at moderate speed.

Our little A Star AT also surprised us with its ride quality. We recently drove over about 500 kms completely broken ghat roads and highway in rural maharasthra and the car performed extremely well, including a few nose dives into craters at high speed. The ground clearance is adequate, and ride is stable over craters and broken roads. However, some of it do filter into the cabin, but there is no noise. We could cover the distance in about 10 hours or so.
I was looking for a mention of the bug.(no offense.pure endearment. )
I was once marooned in amargarh and a couple decided to give us a ride back to delhi in their astar.
Very bumpy,broken roads,and I could see the condition.
I kept bracing myself for the first 50 kms everytime we went over a patch,but nothing came through.
Thumbs up!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks