Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:37   #1
BHPian

Corporate Edition is back; BMW set to launch an entry level 320i petrol variant

Corporate Edition is back; BMW set to launch an entry level 320i petrol variant-1603591_1.jpg
Quote:
BMW India is all set to launch a cheaper variant of its popular saloon, the 3-series, in the coming months. The new entry-level variant will be known as the 32Oi and will retail at Rs. 28.5 lakh (ex-showroom, Mumbai). BMW is not new to the concept of a cost-down variant as even the previous-gen 3-series had a corporate edition on offer.

Like the corporate edition itself, the 320i skimps on some equipment in order to manage a Rs. 8 lakh price cut off the range-topping 328i turbo-petrol saloon. You now get a simplified version of the i-Drive, which instead of an 8.8-inch infotainment screen uses a smaller 6.5 inch display. A single-CD audio unit finds its way inside over the more-expensive 6-CD unit. Furthermore, the new unit is not capable of handling in-car data storage. The reverse camera present on the top-end variants will also be omitted, and the seat leather on the 328i will be replaced by faux leather.

Corporate Edition is back; BMW set to launch an entry level 320i petrol variant-tcbmw_2012_bmw_320i_004.jpg

On the outside, you’ll now find 16-inch alloy-wheels over the funkier, 18-inchers. The Xenon headlamps too get replaced by regular Halogen ones and you no more get a sunroof. This base-spec, 3-series is also available in a few international markets, which allows us to speculate all the omissions.

As the name suggests, the 320i is powered by a 1994cc, 4-cylinder, 181 BHP petrol motor that also does duty on the entry-level 5-series saloon. This unit is mated to the 328i’s, 8-speed auto transmission, with tweaked ratio’s to suit the lower power output. Most of you will remember that the same motor also powered the previous-gen 320i, although with a different gearbox.

The new entry level 3-series will compete with the likes of the Mercedes C 200 BlueEfficiency and the Audi A4 1.8 TSFI. With a price advantage of a few lakhs, the BMW definitely makes as a great buy over the competition. What we can look forward to now is a similar variant for the diesel spec as well.
SOURCE: http://goaonwheels.com/new-models/li...petrol-variant
Abhinav667 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2012, 23:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Corporate Edition is back; BMW set to launch an entry level 320i petrol variant

IMO this may not be called the Corporate Edition as this article clearly suggests it will be launched to counter the competitions entry-level petrol offerings.

The Corporate edition (Diesel) will eventually be launched by 2013 end (just around before new C-Class launches)

But still a great find

PS - I Like the rim design, makes it look > than 16" ers

Last edited by karan561 : 23rd November 2012 at 00:05.
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:17   #3
BHPian

Great news indeed. This is a handy option for enthusiasts looking for an affordable yet a truly involving petrol from the Bavarian powerhouse. I'm pretty sure the 320i wouldn't disappoint in that area. Now eagerly awaiting its diesel counterpart. That would make the Ultimat3 a truly well-rounded and balanced portfolio.
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:30   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Corporate Edition is back; BMW set to launch an entry level 320i petrol variant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
Great news indeed. This is a handy option for enthusiasts looking for an affordable yet a truly involving petrol from the Bavarian powerhouse. I'm pretty sure the 320i wouldn't disappoint in that area.
Truly should be a great deal considering it will be a RWD turbo petrol, 0 - 100 aprox 7.5x sec

Even the pricing of 28.5 L * is sweet as against;

Mercedes C 200 BlueEfficiency Rs 32.13 L *

Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Rs 29.26 L *

* All prices ex-showroom Mumbai

A review of the 320i;

http://performancedrive.com.au/2012-...ne-f30-review/

Another performance video review of the 320i;

Last edited by karan561 : 23rd November 2012 at 00:33.
Old 23rd November 2012, 00:47   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561

Even the pricing of 28.5 L * is sweet as against;

Mercedes C 200 BlueEfficiency Rs 32.13 L *

Audi A4 1.8 TFSI Rs 29.26 L *
True. However while the Bavarians may have managed to hit the sweet spot in pricing the 320i, the stripped down F30's feature list is surely going to be a bit of a downer for many a buyer, especially when juxtaposed with the spec sheet of that of the 1.8 TFSI or even more so, the C200 BE.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 23rd November 2012 at 00:48.
Old 23rd November 2012, 11:48   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
IMO this may not be called the Corporate Edition as this article clearly suggests it will be launched to counter the competitions entry-level petrol offerings.

The Corporate edition (Diesel) will eventually be launched by 2013 end (just around before new C-Class launches)

But still a great find

PS - I Like the rim design, makes it look > than 16" ers
Don't they already offer a base 320d at 29-odd lakhs? Below the sport-line and luxury-line trims? I thought that is the entry-level diesel (but they don't call it the corporate edition.) The feature set seems similar to the 320i CE as well.
Old 23rd November 2012, 14:15   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarScream View Post
Don't they already offer a base 320d at 29-odd lakhs? Below the sport-line and luxury-line trims? I thought that is the entry-level diesel (but they don't call it the corporate edition.) The feature set seems similar to the 320i CE as well.
Yes they do offer a 320d called "baseline" model priced @ 28.9 L ( ex-showroom )

Also the 320i may not be named CE, similar report on ACI website ;

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/323...l-variant.aspx

Last edited by karan561 : 23rd November 2012 at 14:18.
Old 25th November 2012, 01:50   #8

Come on now, BMW! Add a darn sunroof and complete the baseline 320i/d.

I wonder how much that will cost. A lakh? I can still understand the deletion of parking camera or sat-nav or even iPod-integration(which, apparently, is just a piece of software in the bigger iDrive, that enables the same USB port to read iPods too, along with regular pen drives). The absence of a sunroof is a big omission - (almost) all prospective buyers would sit inside and TD all cars in the 30-35L range before zeroing in on a particular vehicle. And the 320i/d would be the only cars without sunroofs.

Yes, one could spell that as B-A-D N-E-W-S for BMW. Quoting point number 3 from this thread here, we Indians need to feel good and fuzzy inside, especially while buying cars

Most Viewed