Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2006, 03:22   #1
Senior - BHPian

Revival of the legend called Lancer.

Hindustan Motors commands respect as one of the oldest car manufacturer in India. Their oldest car Ambassador still teaches the latest gizmo loaded sedans a thing or two about ride quality and comfort. Even today its built tank like.

but HM-Mitsubishi marraige in India brought in a step child called the lancer. HM was always either

1. partial
2. Cash strapped or
3. Plain stupid

dunno which

Alongwith the knowhow of luxury segment with ambassador and contessa before the late 90's HM entered the 10lac car market and astra was toppled. while Lancer defined Everything else from looks to Ride and handling to Engine refinement and smoothness the performance crown was taken by OHC.

Today more than 8 years down the line lancer is still selling with minor cosmetic updates though in minor numbers.

Once a car that has been successful in beating OHC in saless many times sits idle in the showroom doing hardly 250-300 units a month.

Case apart we also have the baleno here. An old and discontinued model now in rest of the world Baleno was the biggest disaster in the Indian car market when it was launched. Many stalwars suggested that maruti should concentrate on the market below 5 lacs but determined to take the icing on the cake Maruti went on to make maruti baleno a sales success today with cosmetic updates and price revision. Though not the market leader its doing respectable numbers.

A thought came to my mind. IF India's biggest car manufacturer can make Baleno a success 10 years down the line then what is HM that has 50years of experience in Indian car industry lacking?

what do you think should HM be doing to the old lancer to make it a sales success? Please also think beyond performance.
Old 4th May 2006, 03:48   #2
Senior - BHPian

Dev I think the simplest answer would be, HM should slash the price and start the base model under 7L and push the bhp figures to 125bhp minimum. These two...well... debatable changes and we will see lancer rocking the roads again...

p.s: Lancer is not in demand today primarily coz it aint powerful enough for an enthusiast to choose nor too fuel efficient(My friends lancer gives an average of 8kmph, city driving with rare AC usage) for the ecomomy minded. Yes it is luxurious...well, none pays for luxury alone in India, might work in Dubai
Old 4th May 2006, 04:04   #3
Senior - BHPian

The base model should compete with Accent and Baleno, dollar for dollar.

As far as engine specs, it almost mirrors that of the accent. 1.5 liter, 3 valve engine, so it should'nt really cost any higher.

On the high end, give a 5 speed manual option for the 1.8 engine. may be do a design refresh.
Old 4th May 2006, 04:24   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wolf
Dev I think the simplest answer would be, HM should slash the price and start the base model under 7L and push the bhp figures to 125bhp minimum. These two...well... debatable changes and we will see lancer rocking the roads again...

p.s: Lancer is not in demand today primarily coz it aint powerful enough for an enthusiast to choose nor too fuel efficient(My friends lancer gives an average of 8kmph, city driving with rare AC usage) for the ecomomy minded. Yes it is luxurious...well, none pays for luxury alone in India, might work in Dubai
about the price possible. About the bhp figs not possible. No car under 10lacs today claims morethan 106hp. so maybe a 100bhp+ engine can be installed.

I dunno where the term bad FE has been associated with the lancer. But good to know. BTW mines giving 13 with a/c in city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
The base model should compete with Accent and Baleno, dollar for dollar.

As far as engine specs, it almost mirrors that of the accent. 1.5 liter, 3 valve engine, so it should'nt really cost any higher.

On the high end, give a 5 speed manual option for the 1.8 engine. may be do a design refresh.
agreed. but the second part of giving a 1.8 a 5 speed gearbox is not possible. Dats wat I read in overdrive/autocar.
Old 4th May 2006, 11:00   #5
BANNED

Lancer base model already costs less than 7 lakhs with discounts, ex Thane. Around 6.59 lakhs at Metro Motors.

HM needs to launch a 1.6 litre with around 100+ horses and a facelift (not the crappy half-assed, Maruti-like facelift that's been slapped on the curren lot). That should get everybody excited again.
Old 4th May 2006, 11:13   #6
Senior - BHPian

I agree. The Lancer needs a MIVEC ASAP. The current price tag is okay with the upgrades. It could also do with a decent diesel. Infact, IMHO, the inclusion of a CRDi engine in its lineup will do wonders for the Lancer. The powerful petrol will only please enthusiasts. The diesel will bring in the numbers.
Old 4th May 2006, 12:53   #7
mxx
BHPian

Unless HM's ideology (earn quick buck by selling cheap outdated stuff) is changed, dont expect lancer to revive.
The lancer sold worlwide is generations ahead of what is available here.
Old 4th May 2006, 13:11   #8
BHPian

I dont think the hm-mitsubishi combo was ever good, hm seems to be a very sluggish company in a very quick changing market, Mitsubishi needs a new partner quick , Also, the cedia doesn't seem to have been marketed well either, it seems to have bombed in my part of the country..
Old 4th May 2006, 13:58   #9
BHPian

Why can't they just launch the Evolution series in India? It's available in countries like Sri Lanka, Thailand etc.
Old 4th May 2006, 14:16   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
Why can't they just launch the Evolution series in India? It's available in countries like Sri Lanka, Thailand etc.
But thats not really going to lead to a huge in sales figures. Like someone mentioned, the Lancer was priced slightly higher than the competition and the bad FE. Then they bropught in new facelifted models which to me didn't look half as good as the SFXi from the late 90s.
Old 4th May 2006, 14:41   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
what do you think should HM be doing to the old lancer to make it a sales success? Please also think beyond performance.
I have my special feelings to Mitsubishi and especially Lancer. So let me help Dev and HM

Stop Lancer production. Bring the "New" Lancer.

Now, here is the catch- The new Lancer doesn't need to be entirely new. First it should have a look closer to the EVO family (La cedia sprots tail lamps+ front with twin headlights, to start with). What is indeed needed is performance (every one knows it!). In my opinion, the current 1.5L can be reconfigured to blow competition-Less cost.

The "NEW" Lancer will have new price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sujaylahiri
Precisely. This boosts the overall brand image. Where else in the world is Lancer a family car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman
Mitsubishi needs a new partner quick , Also, the cedia doesn't seem to have been marketed well either, it seems to have bombed in my part of the country..
Well said, if that happends, everything would fall in place automatically. But who has such financial muzzle? Bajaj, for a change?
Old 4th May 2006, 16:42   #12
BHPian

just dreaming out a loud ..they should offer a engine upgrade for the old lancers ...which would be a great way to gain attention and then launch a brand new car ...H.M are you listening you want ot make money call me LOL
Old 4th May 2006, 18:12   #13
BHPian

Lancer

Dear All,

As far as lancer is concerned it gives you a good average if you maintain it in a proper way since begining.
My Lancer gives me a average of 13 with ac on.
Regarding HM,they are very very slow in regards to updation or modification of model is concerned.

Thanks & Regards
Anupam

Last edited by Aditya : 7th May 2006 at 08:54.
Old 4th May 2006, 20:50   #14

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

80% of the customers who can afford a car for 7-8lacs are generally above 35yrs of age.at that age performance hardly matters,comfort,efficiency rule over the rest.this is the reason y nhc is selling like hotcakes.while we r talkin about increasing the performance and stuff like that,lets talk reality.with petrol prices touchin rs.50/ltr everybody wants a more fuel efficient car.nobody wants to spend more money on gas just to reach somewhere a second earlier.(im not talkin bout car crazy ppl like us...we r just the 20%...remember)
hm should launch their cars with better engines which give better efficiency and better interiors.in all these years hm never upgraded the interiors of the car.look at honda,they have taken feedback from the customers and have responded to all their desires.
when the ohc was launched ppl cribbed about the interiors.comes nhc,amazing interiors good fuel efficiency.ppl cribbed about its exterior looks....honda responded by launching nhc zx.ppl cribbed about lack of power...honda brought back the vtec.if a manufacturer stays dormant,its products sales will; decline(HM,fiat) but if the manufacturer remains active,customers take notice(honda,hyundai).
Old 4th May 2006, 21:21   #15
BHPian

mann..!! any body knows that when lancer evo is launching in INDIA...??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks