Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2006, 15:28   #16
Senior - BHPian

Personally I feel it is not worth filling up Speed.. I always use normal Unleaded petrol and then use System G. I have seen improvement in performance at lower rpm and then mileage by 1-2 KM in city..

Cheers
NeoOnWheels
Palio 1.2 Sport / 13 KMPL / AND IT ROCKS !!!

Last edited by neoonwheels : 4th October 2006 at 15:30.
Old 4th October 2006, 17:59   #17
Jay
BHPian

Filled fuel from many places but found Shell to be the best... better than Reliance which is more costlier... adultration is done by the dealers hence fuel at some places is better than others.
Old 27th December 2006, 17:10   #18
BHPian

Not the quality but the quantity

The cheating by petrol bunks is mainly in quantity and not in quality. When in doubt get a 5 ltr can filled up. Skip the bunks who refuse to fill in the can. You'll find to your surprise, that many bunks do not fill in cans, for obvious reasons. Avoid those bunks.

Encourage Bangaloreans.... to post the name of the pumps who refuse to fill the cans.

You'll find that the money invested in the can to be one of the best you have done, ever!
Old 28th December 2006, 11:53   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You'll find to your surprise, that many bunks do not fill in cans, for obvious reasons. Avoid those bunks.
Among other reasons, there is a legal prohibition against petrol pumps filling up any which container.
Old 28th December 2006, 12:48   #20
Senior - BHPian

I have never understood this legal prohibition. What do I do if I need diesel for my generator. I cannot drain it from a vehicle now. Can I?
Old 28th December 2006, 14:56   #21
Senior - BHPian

If it is for commercial use, you can purchase it directly from the oil companies or their depots. the fuel pumps are only for motorists.
Old 28th December 2006, 19:16   #22
Senior - BHPian

My problem is that I use about 80lts of diesel for my generators per week. And no oil company will supply me such a low quantity.
Old 28th December 2006, 20:03   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxx View Post
Prefer company owned pumps. They have good quality unadultrated fuel. or go for shell or reliance.
How does one know which is company owned and which is a franchise. All the Shells in Bangalore are company owned I think .

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Among other reasons, there is a legal prohibition against petrol pumps filling up any which container.
In the states, you are not supposed to fill or store petrol in any container unless its red in colour. If the container is red and a certain shape, then its universally (USA) understood that its for gasoline. All this for safety sake.

Last edited by Mpower : 28th December 2006 at 20:04.
Old 28th December 2006, 20:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
I got petrol in a container for my stranded car from a pump near by,it was like 5 ltrs or so, not aware of any legalities here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
How does one know which is company owned and which is a franchise. All the Shells in Bangalore are company owned I think .
Most of the oil company websites can tell you the mode of operation, Company Owned-Dealer Operated or CoCo meaning company owned and company operated, etc.. The pumps generally display the same status at their location.
Old 29th December 2006, 00:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

I've a Birla-Yamaha 500W petrol genset for the last 17 yrs. I've always got petrol for the genset in a 5 ltr can from various pumps in and around Delhi. None have refused till date...

Quote:
Old 29th December 2006, 02:04   #26
elf
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
... I've always got petrol for the genset in a 5 ltr can from various pumps in and around Delhi. None have refused till date...
That may be true, but GTO's right. There is a law against filling gas in portable containers by the general public. One of the reasons was dowry deaths, a few years ago. Also general arson. Not that there aren't other ways to get flammable substances, but the government tries to control it as much as it can.
Old 29th December 2006, 05:28   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by elf View Post
One of the reasons was dowry deaths, a few years ago. Also general arson. Not that there aren't other ways to get flammable substances, but the government tries to control it as much as it can.
I'd be surprised if the chap at the local bunk knew about this particular law.
Old 29th December 2006, 11:03   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsinz View Post
Premium fuels like Indian Oil Extra premium also is adulterated. I happened to refuel in one of the IOC bunks! Too much vibration at lower rpm and engine noise.

Later I switched to Speed from the BP bunk near Leela palace and the last tank from Shell on Old Madras road. Both these look good. The car runs smooth, less vibration and better mileage.

17 KM with AC compared to 15 KM with AC earlier with IOC.
Try Shell super petrol...you will get even better results.
Old 29th December 2006, 11:30   #29
BHPian

Shell is supplied by Bharat petroleum as they do not have a refinery in india, so effectively it is BP fuel you fill at Shell. The reason why we feel we get better average at Shell is bcos all their pumps are relatively new with new dispensers compared to the other pumps. For a change fill at anewly opened HP or BP pump you will understand what I am trying to say. I have done it myself and I am convinced
Old 7th August 2008, 06:58   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.prashanth View Post
Shell is supplied by Bharat petroleum as they do not have a refinery in india, so effectively it is BP fuel you fill at Shell. The reason why we feel we get better average at Shell is bcos all their pumps are relatively new with new dispensers compared to the other pumps. For a change fill at anewly opened HP or BP pump you will understand what I am trying to say. I have done it myself and I am convinced
You are right - Shell does not have their own refinery and they source from others. Only guess that they manage better and better control ensures better fuel. And of course higher price and margins.

Reliance is practically out of retail business now – but I know that they had in fact set their dispensers to deliver slightly more volume than the reading (wrong calibration, but favoring the buyer!!) – This was intentional so that people filling these will get higher pseudo-mileage – and wow! There will be lot of good talk about their fuel quality!

Last edited by Rehaan : 7th August 2008 at 09:35. Reason: Formatting tags removed.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks