Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th May 2006, 09:57   #1
BANNED

Premium Fuels Adulteration !!!

In India, the popularity of Premium Fuels seems to be increasing day-by-day. And fuel pumps selling Premium Fuels are sprouting here and there.

Consumers mainly prefers Premium Fuels because of it's high octane content, presence of additives and some sort of quality guarantee.

But in the reality, are we getting quality fuels without any adulterants in Premium Fuels ?

Can the normal fuels can be passed off as Premium Fuels ?

I've heard rumours that Premium Fuels contains anti-adulterants which changes the colour of fuel if it is adulterated. I don't know whether it's true or a mere hoax ?

Is there any authority in India which has tested all these Premium Fuels for all their tall claims ?
Old 4th May 2006, 10:21   #2
BHPian

I would surely love to see a list of black listed fuel stations in bangalore. So that it will help save the enviroment and many lives as well
Old 4th May 2006, 10:48   #3
BHPian

Bangalore fuel is sh**. Try the Shell in ITPL. That is good.
Old 4th May 2006, 10:59   #4
BHPian

LandCrusier, I agree.. Shell and couple of Bharat Petroleum Station have good fuel.
Old 4th May 2006, 11:00   #5
Team-BHP Support

The first problem is that how can you be sure when you buy speed you are getting speed and not normal 91 octane fuel.
In diesel its easy to tell as High speed diesel does not froth like normal diesel(Dunno why this is so, but its a sure shot way to tell).
Old 4th May 2006, 11:04   #6
BHPian

The problem doesnt really is with the kind of fuel that is supplied to the dealer. Its the delaers that does the adulteration. I think the reliance pumps do have some sort of monitoring mechanism for preventing this. But as normal customers we dont have any way by which to know whether what we bought is what we got.

And beleive me, Shell has to be good. I personally know the kind of effort they put to make their fuel good. Cant wait to see Shell pumps popping up in Kerala.

Last edited by basilmabraham : 4th May 2006 at 11:05.
Old 4th May 2006, 12:44   #7
mxx
BHPian

Prefer company owned pumps. They have good quality unadultrated fuel. or go for shell or reliance.
Old 4th October 2006, 05:12   #8
BANNED

I've heard that Premium fuels are transported in tamper proof tankers. Is that true ?
Old 4th October 2006, 07:30   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
In diesel its easy to tell as High speed diesel does not froth like normal diesel
Tanveer, some confusion here? The diesel we get is HSD. Speed, is a branded diesel, with additives ..
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/292402-post2.html
Old 4th October 2006, 08:15   #10
BHPian

Are the car manufacturers recommending the use of premium fuels?
Old 4th October 2006, 08:35   #11
BHPian

Premium fuels like Indian Oil Extra premium also is adulterated. I happened to refuel in one of the IOC bunks! Too much vibration at lower rpm and engine noise.

Later I switched to Speed from the BP bunk near Leela palace and the last tank from Shell on Old Madras road. Both these look good. The car runs smooth, less vibration and better mileage.

17 KM with AC compared to 15 KM with AC earlier with IOC.
Old 4th October 2006, 08:38   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by four_tire
I would surely love to see a list of black listed fuel stations in bangalore. So that it will help save the enviroment and many lives as well
The IOC one near NGEF bus stand is bad. That is where I put the extra premium. Only good thing they do is clean your windshield
Old 4th October 2006, 10:00   #13
BHPian

Do we have any T-BHPian with knowledge of the petroleum industry and appearance of different fuel types? If we can have guidance from them so that something can be checked visually by customers like us at the petrol pumps, then it would be really great.
Old 4th October 2006, 13:04   #14
vRS
BHPian

I read that today the Petro Ministry is launching some color coding in Kerosene - so that with the help of a kit - one will know if kerosene has been added to the petrol. Does any know where such a kit is available ?
Old 4th October 2006, 14:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

I think such kit is not available in the free market this is more for testing by Petroleum companies & the Govt.

Also this just in went to buy Speed 97 on Sunday/Monday & found that it's not available in the whole of Delhi. Apparently, there was a complaint about the fuel & the whole batch was pulled out of the market by BP. The new batch is expected some time this week.

Most Viewed