Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2012, 15:51   #76
BHPian

Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

For me the biggest surprise has been the Duster. Comes out of nowhere and in the last couple of months selling 5k plus units. On one hand its establishing Renault firmly in India, while on the other its paving way for a new segment.
Just goes to show how a well priced good product irrespective of brand, can do wonders.
Old 6th December 2012, 17:10   #77
Senior - BHPian

Fantastic Analysis as usual; many thanks for your review. Appears that SUV market has matured quite a bit considering that XUV, Scorpio & Duster are selling close to 5000 units apiece. Would be interesting to watch if increasing the XUV or Duster manufacturing capacity might actually swing the balance in favor of either one of them?
Does XUV still command a good 2-4 month waiting as earlier?
Old 6th December 2012, 17:12   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by karty_83 View Post
For me the biggest surprise has been the Duster. Comes out of nowhere and in the last couple of months selling 5k plus units. On one hand its establishing Renault firmly in India, while on the other its paving way for a new segment.
Just goes to show how a well priced good product irrespective of brand, can do wonders.
It seems well-priced only because it's being thought of as a proper SUV which it is not. It's a mini SUV and for that and the features it offers, it's certainly over-priced. It's just that there is not much competition in this category at the moment.
bansal98 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 22:19   #79
BHPian

Thanks GTO for this useful and graphical analysis. This takes lots of patience and hard work for such an output. This will help lot of people in knowing the current market trend.
Old 6th December 2012, 23:55   #80
BHPian

Great job guys. feel some more thought has to go into the classification of the UV segment. I dont think its fair that the scorpio and duster get to be in the c2 segment while the innova and ertiga sit out of it.
Old 7th December 2012, 02:28   #81
BHPian

Looking at them Diesel/Petrol breakups, its amazing Honda still manages to sell those many units.
Old 7th December 2012, 03:12   #82
Senior - BHPian

The slowdown will be more evident in December and may slowly pickup in the new year with launch of fresh models. The diesel to petrol split shows that shows a hug skew towards the oil burner.
The government has more compelling reason to impose a diesel cess ,let’s see when they have spine to take politically tough call.
Old 7th December 2012, 09:31   #83
BHPian

And now it looks like all companies and dealers are pulling out all stops to clear year end inventory.
Major discounts are being offered, and GM has now joined Maruti and Toyota in announcing a price hike come January. Lets see if the ploy works.
Old 7th December 2012, 16:21   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogeshnagpal View Post
Whats wrong with the City after the initial Spike in October ? I thought that CNG model would inject some life and improve sales. Any thought whats happening with the city ?
Very interesting indeed.

I suspect this is due to:
1. Reviews of the Amaze were out in November resulting in customers of the City choosing to wait for the launch of the Amaze
2. Confirmed news of an all new City was out in November resulting in customers choosing to wait until then
Old 7th December 2012, 19:29   #85
BHPian

Excellent Analysis.
The MUV excluding SUV is ahead of Sedan though marginally. May be this is because of VFM factor compared to Sedan. For example Ertiga, Duster.

Why not manufacturer wise (European, Japanese etc) be further divided into C and above segment and below it, so that it shall give further clear picture what is the strength of European, American. Am i greedy here after such excellent food for analysis.

VW, Skoda needs to bring 1.2 TSI and FIAT 1.2 Tjets in hatchbacks to increase power to weight ratio and to take advantage of low excise duty and pass on the benefit to customers.

Last edited by HydroFuel : 7th December 2012 at 19:58. Reason: to avoid back to back 2 posts.
Old 8th December 2012, 18:49   #86
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driving_Nomad View Post
Superb analysis as usual! Great to see the Diesel v/s Petrol sales!
We need another information, if available. Sales /bookings of Petrol and Diesel vehicles in Goa before and after the VAT cut (on Petrol). This may be very educative, as to the distortions due to the artificially low diesel prices.
Old 9th December 2012, 14:16   #87
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (7)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post
Tata Nano which was launched with so much hype & hoopla, is selling so low numbers. Isn't it time they stopped it ? Is it even viable option for them in long term?
This is my opinion about Nano sales.

Tata was very confident about Nano when it launched it. They assumed Nano would sell 20,000 pieces a month very easily and without much much advertising or marketing.

With Nano flopping, Tata had to throw a lot of money at advertising and marketing which was probably not budgeted for originally. So I don't think Nano makes much money for Tata. I don't think it would make much money even if it were selling 10,000 pieces a month.

However, Tata will not stop Nano - stopping Nano will be not a good PR move for Ratan Tata. He has a lot invested in the Nano (emotionally). I expect Nano to dodder along till he is there.
carboy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th December 2012, 15:34   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Tata was very confident about Nano when it launched it. They assumed Nano would sell 20,000 pieces a month very easily and without much much advertising or marketing.

With Nano flopping, Tata had to throw a lot of money at advertising and marketing which was probably not budgeted for originally. So I don't think Nano makes much money for Tata. I don't think it would make much money even if it were selling 10,000 pieces a month.

However, Tata will not stop Nano - stopping Nano will be not a good PR move for Ratan Tata. He has a lot invested in the Nano (emotionally). I expect Nano to dodder along till he is there.

Completely agree. Cause someone has an emotional attachment, does it make sense to continue to invest in loss making product? Board members of TataMotors would not dare to ask question on such a touchy topic & take it up on behalf of shareholders.
Old 9th December 2012, 16:18   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by anand_hc View Post

Completely agree. Cause someone has an emotional attachment, does it make sense to continue to invest in loss making product? Board members of TataMotors would not dare to ask question on such a touchy topic & take it up on behalf of shareholders.
Please don't forget that TATA is working on the diesel version, and it could bring in big sales numbers provided the NVH and refinement are within acceptable limits.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 15:26   #90
Senior - BHPian

To add to the above, Nano is slowly getting launched internationally too. Indonesia, Nepal, Sri Lanka, may be South East Asia and some Bric nations.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed