Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2012, 10:49   #16
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220
A well deserved 5 star thread again !
Thank you for posting the detailed analysis just as you used to do before.
It is very considerate on the part of manufacturers to share the split sales of petrol and diesel.
The Diesel : Petrol ratio of Duster is 5142 : 109 . One petrol for every 50 diesel cars

That shows the diesel thirst of our market.
By the way, Superb is the only car where Diesel sales < Petrol's. Is it due to the enthusiasts buying the V6 engine ?
Superb V6 is discontinued for the last year or so. It is the 1.8 TSI that is doing brisk business
agambhandari is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 10:54   #17
BHPian

Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

So the STORME never really created much of a Storm!

I am amazed to see soo many Swifts. A reason why I am beginning to dislike the car even more apart from the fact that it is very flimsy and I find it too overpriced for what they serve. Just my opinion.
Old 4th December 2012, 10:54   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

good to see the usual great treat from GTO.
Diesel:Petrol numbers are indeed an eye opener to see the ratios of diesels being sold relaive to the petrol.

Fiat's startegy is alarming, it only shows how serious they are about this market.

Cheers!
Old 4th December 2012, 11:09   #19
BHPian

Thanks for the comprehensive report. The Diesel:Petrol breakup is the best thing in this month's report and looking at it, I can definitely see why the govt is worried about the subsidy bill.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:10   #20
BHPian

Superb analysis as usual! Great to see the Diesel v/s Petrol sales! Although the numbers look really funny, it has to be noted that the Car that has been and is sweeping sales is still a petrol one!

Sad and ironic to see Fiat's state of affairs though.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:11   #21
BHPian

How come scorpio is still able to get good numbers, even after duster's presence?

Why mahindra is not concentrating on Thar, quite a waiting period is there?
Old 4th December 2012, 11:11   #22
Team-BHP Support

I am kind of surprised by the Mahindra Rexton strategy. Mahindra is not marketing the product much, and even the facebook page of the rexton looks more like XUV marketing.
That vehicle is actually capable of 500 units a month sales, but due to some reason, Mahindra is not interested in selling it.

As for Tata Safari the sales are 1000 odd. This includes the storme and the old safari. It would be interesting to get the split here. How many buyers are still going for the old safari.

That said, as more competition arrives, I expect Tata to take a bigger hit than Mahindra. Scorpio still does its 4000+ numbers and so does the XUV.
So duster has not affected these two much.
tsk1979 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 11:19   #23
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Please do NOT post one-liners that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the overall quality of this forum.

Please read our rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 4th December 2012 at 22:09.
Navsangeet is offline   Received Infraction
Old 4th December 2012, 11:23   #24
Distinguished - BHPian

Especially after last month's report came on November 01, I've been looking for this thread from December 1st
The Diesel:Petrol ratio made it worthy of the wait.

I feel that this split will be closely watched and hence I have a suggestion here.
Can that be also included in a graph form, something like this
November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-sales_nov.jpg

As we get more and more numbers going forward, we can limit this to the top 20 cars.
restricting to the top20 will also enable in having a good scale for the graph.

Thanks for the figures. Its been a dampener festive season for the auto industry in general.
hemanth.anand is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 11:29   #25
BHPian

Boy oh boy !! Month after month after month, there are two things that are always constant in this monthly report:

1. Maruti Suzuki topping the charts overwhelmingly
2. A Wonderfully compiled and an amazing report !!!

It totally seems as though Maruti can do absolutely no wrong in the Indian market. Occupying the top 4 spots and that too by quite a margin is some statement by Maruti, and with Ertiga, it looks good to occupy the top spot in Utility segment too, sooner than later. That would make it 5 on 5 for MSIL. What makes me wonder though is that Ertiga with the same engine is raking in the numbers while Sx4 which also has the same engine fails to attract the numbers and is dying a slow death.

And the biggest surprise of the month for me for sure is the City, which for the first time in this year has been surpassed by Brio, a dismal month nonetheless for Honda, and with the iDtec still some time away, i guess Honda is going only downhill till the time Amaze comes up. Honda should actually IMO bring in the Brio Diesel as well as Amaze Diesel side by side, which would for sure spell doom for City till the time it comes up with a diesel mill in City too, which is too far away i believe.

Fiat well, Fiat is only surviving on the engine it sells to Tata & Maruti, with a scheduled visit of top officials on 6th of December, i hope something be given to cheer up the Fiat fans !!!

Duster has clearly made the C2 segment its own, and i believe it would stay that way for quite some time to come. Next few months would be very interesting to watch i believe for all automobile enthusiasts !!
Prodigyy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 11:35   #26
Senior - BHPian

Thanks once again

Wondering if the Safari numbers include Storme or we are yet to see any storme sales ?

Some observations

1. I expected festive rally to continue in November as well, but NO !!!

2. Etios twins sales going down every month, and that too when we are seeing more and more Etios cabs on road, Do only fleet owners buy it now ?
A very capable car ruined by bland tasteless interiors. T badge matters for sure, but i guess to the cabbies who vouch by their Qualis and innovas
Give us better looking interiors Toyota, i am sure you can squeeze that much in your margins. with acceptable interiors, i am sure Etios is going to do much better than this.

3. Figo face lift does not seem to be showing any traction !! No wonder we have the mid night sale

4. I am looking forward to see numbers of SAIL U-VA in the coming months.

5. Close to 20K Dusters on road !! this is the initial booking we had for duster shooting the waiting period. I want to see the numbers in the coming months

Last edited by rajshenoy : 4th December 2012 at 11:36.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:40   #27
Team-BHP Support

The biggest surprise/ shock for me after reading this month sales figures - the number of petrol HM Ambassador cars sold! It makes us wonder who would buy 260 Ambassador cars in a month - in this modern market, but yes - that could be attributed to government offices and taxi sales. But 77 petrol Ambassadors? Where do they go?

Another pleasant surprise has been the sales for petrol Superb. But - not really a surprise considering the VFM that the package offers, along with a mouth-watering starting pricetag. One of the very rare cases where the petrol model outsold the diesel variant in the Indian market.

The sudden rise in the sales figures for Kizashi shows what a mess Maruti made of the one oppurtunity they had to crack the higher end segment. This car, built in India with a price tag that could compete with a Civic would have been well received by the market. Instead - they choose the CBU route (Not even CKD) and chose to minimize the risk. IMO - Maruti expected the car to fail and played the game accordingly, with minimal investments and risk.

Totally wasted oppurtunity! However - they have shown us previously how good they are at repackaging the same car to a best-seller. Hope Maruti takes these sales as a good sign and work on assembling the car in India.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Hyundai just can’t shake off the Sonata jinx.
Sorry, but what Sonata Jinx? A big sedan is bought by 3 kinds of people IMO- the chaffeur driven, people with minimal running but wanting a prestige car and the enthusiasts. Without a diesel option, and with a backseat that is strictly optimised for two people- it doesn't make sense to the first category, the hyundai badge doesn't appeal to the second list of people. The lacklustre performance for such a high-spec engine along with poor dynamics wont make it appealing to the third lot. Infact - I feel they made the same mistake with the Sonata that Maruti did with the Kizashi. They expected the model to be a failure and tried to play with minimal risk! No gain without pain?

Really surprised with the numbers Scopio has been managing for the past few months. I expected XUV 5OO to eat into Scorpio sales too, but both these cars seem to be climbing higher grounds each month. Afterall - there is not much of a difference between VLX and W6 variants of these cars, but the XUV5OO is a step ahead in every direction! I really wonder how Mahindra has managed to pull this one off!

Quote:
while the talented Manza just isn’t able to capture the customer’s mind or heart.
Another point i would like to bring to your attention here. I guess anyone would agree that Manza has been enjoying the reputation of being the most niggle-free car from the TATA stable. It remains to be seen if it can retain the same build/ quality as now as the production has been shifted from FIATs Ranjangoan plant to TATAs own plant (I guess Pimpri?).

@GTO: Although its too early to comment on the SAIL, i would also say that 1500 in the second month of launch can predict a lot about the future of this model! Product teams have done their job well? Please! The car easily feels the most dated choice in the market now, that too in the second month of its launch. Dont believe me? Just google images for small cars in the indian market, and view the sail at the last. The saving grace for the product is space & the diesel option - but i really doubt if it would be enough.

Quote:
VW’s overall volumes fall much short of the group’s expectations. Must be quite a pressure cooker situation at the BKC office. Competition is making things tough and there isn’t a “blockbuster” launch from VW for a long time now.
Pressure cooker situation at VW? They dont even seem to care much about the market!
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ll-2015-a.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Fiat's startegy is alarming, it only shows how serious they are about this market.
Quite an easy dig at FIAT. And with good reason too, i agree.

I feel really sorry for FIAT, and being a new FIAT car owner, I wonder what will be the future of the brand + my ownership! I hope they can somehow survive till 2014 when they plan the full assault of models with their new dealership arrangement in place.

But again - what intrigues me - FIAT must be showing some future roadpath to these dealers who are inesting money in new dealerships. Afterall - would you spent crores setting up dealership for a company selling only 270 small cars a month? I'm sure FIAT is sharing some info with them - something that makes them feel the investment is going to be worth it, in the near future. Hope we also get to know what they dealers have been told regarding this! I guess Panda and Viaggio - along with the JEEP portfolio will be part of FIATs future roadmap.

There is a press conference scheduled on December 6th to announce the entry of JEEP in India, along with future products for FIAT and Chrysler in India.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 4th December 2012 at 11:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 11:50   #28
MHG
BHPian

I believe Tata is losing out MOSTLY because its vehicles never manage to look inspiring. If the butch looking Army-spec Sumo 4x4 was sold to civilians in rough colors (non-shiny versions of blue/grey/brown) complete with grills in front of windows, floodlights and a mean bull bar, it may *just* about manage to edge out the bone-stock Bolero in terms of looks. If the designing team at Tata is reading this, please shed the current family looks completely. Maybe its too late to think in terms of looks, but hopefully the next generation (2015-2016 vehicles) should be designed ground up without giving the looks department step-motherly treatment. Learn a thing or two from the Fiat design team. BTW why isn't Tata separating Sumo and Grande Sales, Indica and Vista sales and the sales of Indigo CS, XL and Manza ?

PS: On a completely unrelated note, I realized for the first time that the total sales chart is sorted in alphabetical order of companies and further in alphabetical order of cars. Sheesh....
Old 4th December 2012, 11:53   #29
BHPian

A refreshing change to see some of the manufacturers being forthcoming and sharing the diesel to petrol split. A very welcome step indeed. Going forward, I hope this becomes the norm across all players. It should help us understand this data even better and put things into a fresh perspectives.

Btw just look at those MUVs flexing their muscles in that pie-chart. They've got some real elbow room now and they're here to stay!

Thanks GTO and Parry for the lovely analysis.

GTO, what do I say? You continue to be in fine form and your comments never cease to amaze me buddy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
The Diesel : Petrol ratio of Duster is 5142 : 109 . One petrol for every 50 diesel cars

That shows the diesel thirst of our market.
Not a very encouraging stat, I'm afraid. Some auto-makers have openly stated that diesels are not a sustainable technology for the future particularly from the standpoint of cleaner emissions and ultimately, their effect on global warming. Also the heavy skew in favor of the oil-burners should send the alarm bells ringing for our government with their continuing policy of having heavy subsidies on diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koenigsegg220 View Post
By the way, Superb is the only car where Diesel sales < Petrol's. Is it due to the enthusiasts buying the V6 engine ?
I think it is the awesome 1.8 TSI that single-handedly continues to propel the Superb's demand. Not sure if they still have the 6-pot 3.6 FSI anymore under the hood of the Superb. IIRC, it is discontinued.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 4th December 2012 at 12:04.
Old 4th December 2012, 11:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

I was surprised to see bad numbers from Honda especially after i had read this report in a leading news daily.

http://www.gaadi.com/blog/honda-cars...-november-2012

Thought of PM'ing that there is something amiss until i realized that these folks are comparing Nov 2011 with Nov 2012 sales figures. Nevertheless a news worth sharing, not sure if many read it.

Fortuner numbers are down 25%, (to me they do not look significantly down yet, still hovering above the 1K mark). They need to go down more if Toyota has to realize that they need to make changes to make it a value proposition again.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed