Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2012, 12:20   #31
BHPian

Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

I would like to add to the statistics with figures for segment-wise market share over a period of last month, 3 months and 6 months. These numbers give a fair picture of each vehicles market share within its own segment and whether they are gaining or losing.

Segmentation might not be perfect but I have done it to the best of my knowledge. I have left out vehicles (such as Prius, 370Z) as they have negligible impact in overall market share. Have also highlighted (in yellow) top 10 sellers for each month over the past six months. Hope this is helpful.

November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-1.jpg

November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-2.jpg

November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-3.jpg

November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-4.jpg

Last edited by jessie007 : 4th December 2012 at 12:22.
jessie007 is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 12:28   #32
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
I think it is the awesome 1.8 TSI that single-handedly continues to propel the Superb's demand. Not sure if they still have the 6-pot 3.6 FSI anymore under the hood of the Superb. IIRC, it is discontinued.
Not entirely! If you want more proof - the same engine in a lighter Laura should do wonders for its sales - but the reality is far from it.

Then why does the Superb 1.8 TSi sell this way? Its the package. Take Delhi OTR prices. Ambition 1.8 TSi was 20.58L and Ambition 2.0TDi was 26.27L, back in August. At that mouth-watering price, the petrol version makes a lot of sense against the competition and against its own diesel sibling. Not to mention it is a fantastic engine in its own right - with a good balance of economy and performance.

While the engine manages to strike a chord with the enthusiast, the awesome rear seats plus a 6L difference with the diesel version will appeal to those seeking a chauffer driven car. We have ofcourse seen many customers looking at Laura/Jetta segment ending up with a petrol Superb too, for these reasons.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 12:51   #33
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the figures GTO and Parry. The splitage of petrol and diesel was indeed surprising. I always thought it might in the ratio of 1:3 or 1:4, but this is really shocking. No wonder there are rumours of subsidy removal floating in the market.

Honda trend is also surprising. I thought CNG introduction will help boost the city sales.

December is going to be a hard month for all manufacturers.
Old 4th December 2012, 13:08   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Movers & Shakers

Maruti’s first diesel UV - the Ertiga - appears unshakable at the 7K mark, bringing fat profits as it is based on an existing platform using existing mechanicals. I can’t think of any other UV that recorded such volumes in less than a year of launch.
Awesome report GTO and absolutely spot on with your analysis of the Ertiga! I'm extremely glad that MSIL's Ertiga has finally managed to shake up the reigning segment leader for MPVs! And Ertiga's numbers have been consistent all through this year! With Duster and XUV filling up the other end of the spectrum, companies should realise that mere "badge marketing" won't do to move products off the shelf!
Old 4th December 2012, 13:11   #35
Senior - BHPian

Great thread, fantastic analysis as usual from GTO and Parrys. The Diesel/petrol split analysis is simpley awesome. I guess few months going down the line most of the newspapers/analysts would be referring to team BHP for their reports. Keep up the good work guys.

November month was kind of make or break for most car manufacturers, while some stayed afloat, some nosedived hard.

Shocked to see the City to go below the usual figure mark. Honda does not figure in the top 20 nor in the top 10 by sales charts. Have they erred hugely by not bringing the Amaze sooner than reqd?

Mahindra seems to be in the habit of tasting success with every launch, Quanto figures speak for themselves. the good Ol Bolero still going great guns is something which even Mahindra's had not envisaged when they launched it. I guess Mahindra then can do justice if they acquire Aston Martin.

What to say about Ford, I guess they will have to rely upon their midnight sales to boost some figures. If they dont position Ecosport then they have yet another sales dud in their kitty.
Old 4th December 2012, 13:20   #36
BHPian

Overall a disappointing month, I'd say. It is surprising too, considering that it was the Diwali month and offers were there for most brands.

From GTO's table, not taking a few cars like the VW Beetle into account, there are 89 models from all car brands. Out of these, 58 models (65%) show a down-trend in sales (MoM) in the Diwali month. Eleven out of these were not available last year. Excluding those, out of 78 car models, 51 models (again 65%) show a YoY sales down-trend.

Very very surprising for the festive month. Surprised too, especially with the numbers for Honda. Their showroom was buzzing with customers last month, based on two visits I made in the last month.
Old 4th December 2012, 13:27   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Not entirely! If you want more proof - the same engine in a lighter Laura should do wonders for its sales - but the reality is far from it.

Then why does the Superb 1.8 TSi sell this way? Its the package. Take Delhi OTR prices. Ambition 1.8 TSi was 20.58L and Ambition 2.0TDi was 26.27L, back in August. At that mouth-watering price, the petrol version makes a lot of sense against the competition and against its own diesel sibling. Not to mention it is a fantastic engine in its own right - with a good balance of economy and performance.

While the engine manages to strike a chord with the enthusiast, the awesome rear seats plus a 6L difference with the diesel version will appeal to those seeking a chauffer driven car. We have ofcourse seen many customers looking at Laura/Jetta segment ending up with a petrol Superb too, for these reasons.
Very well said indeed!
It is pretty much the 6L difference between the TSi and the TDi, plus the introduction of the MT in the 1.8 TSi that has helped in Petrol selling more than the Diesel variant.
The 7 speed DSG in the 1.8TSi AT still proves to be a problem ridden engine. They seem to have gotten rid of that (of sorts) by getting the MT.
Looking at the price of an L&K Laura, the Superb MT makes more sense to most buyers.
Swanand Inamdar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 13:39   #38
BHPian

Great analysis GTO and Parry.This is best post at the start of every month and i eagerly wait for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
the Duster is the best selling SUV in India
I thought that honor went to Bolero.(Personally i too never considered it to be a SUV but apparently many people do).

Its surprising to see nano figures in-spite of all the goodies tata is offering.

Very sad to see FIAT's state.One is my darling companies.sob sob :(
Old 4th December 2012, 13:48   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

Thanks Crazy Driver. Essentially the point you make above is also what I meant to convey too i.e. the half a million delta in OTR pricing of the diesel and the petrol is enough to detract potential diesel buyers into switching to the TSI. It is the package, of course. Didn't mean to suggest for a moment that people are only flocking to get the engine. Besides in the Superb, that the TSI is available in a DSG guise makes it somewhat attractive to a small segment of buyers too.

Perhaps it all came out a little hazy in my post - thanks for putting it succinctly for everyone's benefit btw

Last edited by Omtoatom : 4th December 2012 at 13:50.
Old 4th December 2012, 14:11   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thanks GTO for the monthly dose of number crunching. Like Crazydriver pointed out, where are those Ambassadors going.?! Strange..!

The Duster is having a ball, although I think with the price increases it is a little overpriced now.

The Elantra has become the leader in that segment (among the sedans). It is a nice car and is a much better handler than the other Hyundai's.

Chevy should be worried that their new Sail has not got off to a great start. They should have been a little more aggressive with the styling.

Another >10K month for the Bolero ! WOW ! This has to be all rural area sales and actually shows how much of an untapped market exists outside the cities.

The Alto 800 supposedly had an order board of 50k cars, so expect the next few months to also be good.

And of course Fiat. The company has announced that there would be nothing happening till the new dealer network is in place (March '13) and acknowledged that there would be short term effects with sales dropping. They are committed to the market and the press conference day after tomorrow will reveal their plans for India. The low sales are expected and not surprising. What remains to be seen is their performance in 2013.

Great insight into the Petrol - Diesel split. With this data, its hard to believe SIAM's claim that diesel passenger cars consume a fractional % of the total diesel consumption in India.
Old 4th December 2012, 14:13   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayan View Post
2) There is a 25% dip in Fortuner sales MOM - is this the Rexton effect ?
No, I think it's the effect of the plant shutdown at Toyota for about 2 weeks. It was reported that Toyota is upgrading its plant to increase capacity. Even Innova numbers are down probably for the same reason.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 14:27   #42
BHPian

Great Analysis by GTO as usual. The Petrol-Diesel split is great and the numbers are on expected lines. If its possible can we collect the statistics for Automatic vs Manual Transmission cars too ?? This should be an interesting one.

Kudos to Renault for bringing out a wonderful product. I don't understand why they are spending on TV ads for Duster, when there is already so much demand. They should be using all the cash to increase their manufacturing capacity.
Old 4th December 2012, 14:29   #43
BHPian

Ford have an excellent opportunity to jump into top 5 with the Ecosport. If its priced well its definitely capable of 5k+ bookings. If they repeat fiesta they will remain at the bottom for another year at-least.
Can't imagine alto numbers with a diesel option
Old 4th December 2012, 14:30   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

The plant 1 (where Innova and Fortuner is maufactured) was shut down for maintenance where as the plant 2 was closed for 2 weeks for expantion.

Hence the drop in sales for the Fortuner and Innova. They should be back to normal numbers next month.

FIAT is worried about setting up the distribution network, so they had already announced about not being too bothered with it atleast till March 2013. Keenly waiting for the announcements on Dec 6th.

Quote:
FIAT must be showing some future roadpath to these dealers who are inesting money in new dealerships.

Yes this must be the reason people are willing to invest. Bangalore already 3 dealers appointed.

Can the Indica/Vista and Indigo/Manza split be obtained. The indicas are the ones being delivered more in number atleast in Bangalore. Hardly seen the Manza and Vista being delivered.

A big thumbs up for providing the petrol vs diesel split
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th December 2012, 14:31   #45
Distinguished - BHPian

Wow GTO.

Hearty congrats on getting the Diesel/Petrol split! Bravo!!!

And I am pleasantly surprized to see the number of petrol lauras and superbs sold by Skoda. Amazing.

Cheers!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks