Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 15:56   #91
BHPian

Re: November 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Looks like Suzuki domination is total and complete in India. Where I was hoping when the Nano or Eon were getting launched that finally there maybe some hope when Suzuki would not remain number 1. But all those dreams are busted.

I do not think in my entire lifetime ever and hopefully a long one left still, will any other carmaker ever be able to overtake Suzuki in India.

And the worse part is this Marutization of the industry will continue with bad design, low power, bad ride quality and tin plating pretty much getting standard.

I still hope the top 5 car makers of the world and with all of them present in India, show some creativity and gumption to put some sort of a fight sooner than later. Better for us consumers too.

Cheers
Old 10th December 2012, 22:03   #92
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahakar View Post
Looks like Suzuki domination is total and complete in India. Where I was hoping when the Nano or Eon were getting launched that finally there maybe some hope when Suzuki would not remain number 1. But all those dreams are busted.

I do not think in my entire lifetime ever and hopefully a long one left still, will any other carmaker ever be able to overtake Suzuki in India.

And the worse part is this Marutization of the industry will continue with bad design, low power, bad ride quality and tin plating pretty much getting standard.
Considering the low power, tin plating, niggles of Nano, I fail to see how it's success would raised standards in the rest of the industry. If anything, everyone would have taken their cheapest car - done a lot of feature, cost, power and quality cutting and produced a Nano Price range car.
Old 11th December 2012, 07:23   #93
Senior - BHPian

Very worrying numbers for Fiat India. I find it so hard to digest that the Punto managed just 200 units. It is unfortunate that folk don't even think of this car when they are in the market for a new car. I have seen this right at my work spot. A couple of colleagues who were buying their first car had approached me for advice and when I asked them what they had in mind as their choice, it is the either a Suzuki Swift or the Ford Figo. Both very strong cars in their own right. When I ask, "Have you looked at the Punto?", their faces appear blank and its as if they have never even heard of a Punto. A brilliant car that is completely ignored. Fiat India are in deep trouble if this trend continues and it looks like it will.
Old 11th December 2012, 09:00   #94
Senior - BHPian

Even with the Diwali season, only 186 units of the Jazz sold in November? That's even lesser than the Ambassador! I can understand Linea & Punto selling in low numbers due to Fiat's reputation in India, but how come a very capable car from the Honda stable is faring so poorly? Surely, it can't be only due to the fact that it's a Petrol vehicle. Long waiting periods/step-motherly treatment by Honda/sunset in the offing?

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 11th December 2012, 09:10   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Very worrying numbers for Fiat India. I find it so hard to digest that the Punto managed just 200 units. It is unfortunate that folk don't even think of this car when they are in the market for a new car. I have seen this right at my work spot. A couple of colleagues who were buying their first car had approached me for advice and when I asked them what they had in mind as their choice, it is the either a Suzuki Swift or the Ford Figo. Both very strong cars in their own right. When I ask, "Have you looked at the Punto?", their faces appear blank and its as if they have never even heard of a Punto. A brilliant car that is completely ignored. Fiat India are in deep trouble if this trend continues and it looks like it will.
You are so right, even I have observed this trend on numerous occasions, the Fiat brand is slowly being finished in India. They really have to work hard and make people realise that a Fiat association is not a bad thing.

No amount of Jeep or any other thing will help the Fiat brand until they really launch a new product and make it win or market the hell of the existing models.
Old 11th December 2012, 15:19   #96
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carboy View Post
Considering the low power, tin plating, niggles of Nano, I fail to see how it's success would raised standards in the rest of the industry. If anything, everyone would have taken their cheapest car - done a lot of feature, cost, power and quality cutting and produced a Nano Price range car.
Nano was pretty much at half the price of the Alto and what they offered was way awesome compared to what the Alto at double the price did. It was unfortunate that Tatas could not put a niggle free product in the market and screwed up on the marketing.

Also, that or maybe the Eon may have been the only chance of ever reaching number 1 sales and give some jolt to Maruti. But that didn't happen.

Now if Maruti is going to dominate (which is a given) and there is going to be no competition near it, we the end consumers will be the losers finally. Right now its small cars, just wait till they come up with a new sedan offering replacing SX4 and a possible diesel SUV, then it would be total annihilation of the competition.

How long do you think the Nissans and the Fiats are gonna keep on taking losses and continuing to be here.

Cheers
Old 11th December 2012, 18:43   #97
BHPian

GTO - Could not see the storme numbers till date. Was curious to see how it fares.Any idea on those ?
Old 11th December 2012, 20:21   #98
BHPian

[quote=GTO;2980282]
Movers & Shakers

Business as usual for the XUV500 & Scorpio which sell nearly the same number of copies last month.

GTO first of all what a fantastic report. May we see many many more such in future. Having said that, I'm somewhat confused by your segmentation charts. For instance XUV is clubbed along with Civic etc. It seems this segmentation is purely based on value and not end-use. I'm not an auto freak or an industry guy but it seems to me that segmentation based on end-use and then sub categorised by value would be more sensible. Is that kind of data readily available? Appreciate your thoughts. Cheers!
Old 12th December 2012, 02:11   #99
BHPian

The car makers selling less than the Amby should be really worried. I guess Honda will most probably survive with the upcoming Diesels but I don't think Fiat has any hopes left. The CBU Jeeps are not going to help them for sure..
Old 12th December 2012, 10:19   #100
BHPian

Great work as always GTO. Just a quick question, I thought the Maruti 800 had stopped production quite some time back, but have been seeing it on the sales charts regularly. Is that just inventory pileup being cleared or is it still in manufacture?
Old 12th December 2012, 11:45   #101
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by apurva512 View Post
Great work as always GTO. Just a quick question, I thought the Maruti 800 had stopped production quite some time back, but have been seeing it on the sales charts regularly. Is that just inventory pileup being cleared or is it still in manufacture?
I was given to understand that it is still being manufactured for non domestic markets.
Old 12th December 2012, 13:07   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sri2012 View Post
I was given to understand that it is still being manufactured for non domestic markets.
I thought that 800 is still available in smaller where BS IV norms have not been introduced.
Old 14th December 2012, 15:33   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
Honda should actually IMO bring in the Brio Diesel as well as Amaze Diesel side by side, which would for sure spell doom for City till the time it comes up with a diesel mill in City too, which is too far away i believe.
Why do you think Brio needs a diesel while i10 can sell near 5 digit numbers with just petrol engine? Honda is becoming another brand ignored by mass. Soon, people will stop reading specs of their cars if they don't take actions to undo the damage by Jazz initial pricing. Currently, Honda in B,C segment = too expensive in buyers mind.
Old 14th December 2012, 16:03   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
Why do you think Brio needs a diesel while i10 can sell near 5 digit numbers with just petrol engine? Honda is becoming another brand ignored by mass. Soon, people will stop reading specs of their cars if they don't take actions to undo the damage by Jazz initial pricing. Currently, Honda in B,C segment = too expensive in buyers mind.
Brio is actually very well priced and should be selling in very decent numbers which it somehow is not managing. The primary reason i see for this is the headstrong attitude of the dealers. Also, i10 is definitely coming up with a diesel engine and i am pretty sure that Maruti won't be left far behind on this diesel engine front in its entry level hatchbacks.

With a couple of diesel entry level hatchbacks coming up, this might well spell doom for Honda too. As you rightly said, the masses have started to ignore Honda as a brand, and current discounts running on Civic & Accord and to a smaller extent on the City are not helping Honda in any which way.

Nonetheless, its easier for us to sit over here & talk about Honda & its strategy, one thing's for sure that someone up there in Honda would definitely be feeling jittery with its performance in this past year.
Old 14th December 2012, 16:08   #105
BHPian

Why I said "Honda = too expensive in buyers mind" is that I have suggested jazz and brio to a few friends who are looking for a petrol car in that segment. While most people agree that their cars are good, they don't seem to know that Jazz and Brio prices are on par with others as well. Most people still think that Honda is expensive. They hardly try to even find the price or maintenance cost. This has to be changed if Honda wishes to regain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
Brio is actually very well priced and should be selling in very decent numbers which it somehow is not managing. The primary reason i see for this is the headstrong attitude of the dealers. Also, i10 is definitely coming up with a diesel engine and i am pretty sure that Maruti won't be left far behind on this diesel engine front in its entry level hatchbacks.

With a couple of diesel entry level hatchbacks coming up, this might well spell doom for Honda too. As you rightly said, the masses have started to ignore Honda as a brand, and current discounts running on Civic & Accord and to a smaller extent on the City are not helping Honda in any which way.

Nonetheless, its easier for us to sit over here & talk about Honda & its strategy, one thing's for sure that someone up there in Honda would definitely be feeling jittery with its performance in this past year.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks