Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th May 2013, 16:18   #16
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen CrossPolo. EDIT : Now with Spy Pics!

Some more spy pics from Autocar India:
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/343...-in-india.aspx

Looks rather good! I would like to see the TSI engine in this one, with a manual to keep prices in check.
Old 15th May 2013, 17:12   #17
BHPian

VW CrossPolo spotted undergoing testing in India

Pictures of Volkswagen's CrossPolo undergoing testing on the Mumbai-Gujarat highway have appeared on autocarindia.com. The CrossPolo is essentially a higher riding version of the Polo with some styling tweaks. The CrossPolo comes with its ground clearance increased by 15 mm, redesigned front and rear bumpers, roof rails that can take a load of up to 75 Kgs, and folding rear seats. Interior appointments could be similar to that being offered on the Polo 1.2 GT TSI. The alloys design spotted on the test CrossPolo looked the same, though the CrossPolo comes with 17" alloy wheels.

Volkswagen CrossPolo. EDIT : Now with Spy Pics!-crosspolo.jpg

Volkswagen CrossPolo. EDIT : Now with Spy Pics!-crosspolo1.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th May 2013 at 17:54.
Redline6800 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 19:20   #18
BHPian

With a tsi motor this might be the perfect upgrade to my fiat adventure
Old 15th May 2013, 19:39   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline6800 View Post
Pictures of Volkswagen's CrossPolo undergoing testing on the Mumbai-Gujarat highway have appeared on autocarindia.com. The CrossPolo is essentially a higher riding version of the Polo with some styling tweaks. The CrossPolo comes with its ground clearance increased by 15 mm, redesigned front and rear bumpers, roof rails that can take a load of up to 75 Kgs, and folding rear seats. Interior appointments could be similar to that being offered on the Polo 1.2 GT TSI. The alloys design spotted on the test CrossPolo looked the same, though the CrossPolo comes with 17" alloy wheels.
Yummy yummy looker I must say. However I do believe it is going to be significantly smaller than the Yeti...
Old 15th May 2013, 19:44   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Yummy yummy looker I must say. However I do believe it is going to be significantly smaller than the Yeti...
I agree. It should be smaller than the Yeti! Hopefully VW will release this in time for some decent competition with the Duster and EcoSport.

But, if you think about it, a Team-BHP reader, who is in the market for a mini-SUV/Crossover, wont be a able to buy one for a good time to come. It seams almost ever car maker has a new release in that segment. How can one buy a car when there a different option every 2/3 months???
Old 17th May 2013, 01:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

SCOOP :: VW Cross Polo caught testing in India!

After the Fabia Scout, the next "rugged" lil' hatch from the VW family has been caught testing on Mumbai - Gujarat highway.

While the powertrain is expected to be identical, the changes include the 15mm bump in height, matte black bits to give a rugged outdoor-ish look and anodized roof-rails which would take up to 75kg.

Hope they don't mess up the pricing like the GT TSI. Ohh heck, who're we fooling, they will

Source

Volkswagen CrossPolo. EDIT : Now with Spy Pics!-f508ba03f2e24f9389b27b23e69155b9hires.jpg

Volkswagen CrossPolo. EDIT : Now with Spy Pics!-239d4d3fa0fd440fa983f8b9bbd4e0cbhires.jpg

Last edited by Scorcher : 17th May 2013 at 01:25.
Old 17th May 2013, 02:52   #22
BHPian

Re: SCOOP :: VW Cross Polo caught testing in India!

Another sales disaster in the making for VW. Why do they bother? If they want to make money, launch something like Duster or Ecosport. Sometimes these guys never learn!!
chennai-indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 09:45   #23
Senior - BHPian

This is obviously a very dumb, half hearted effort on the part of VW to cash in on the Baby SUV demand. VW wont have a baby SUV ready before next year and they cant seem to wait. This is a silly concept IMHO and i dont see it doing well.
nik_kapur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 10:22   #24
BHPian

All depends on how they price it. Lets not forget, the mule sports TDI badging. But seeing how they priced the TSI. I feel, this will be priced even higher than that so that they could try to cash in on the SUV craze.
Old 17th May 2013, 10:45   #25
BHPian

They have been testing these for the past 2-3 months atleast. You can see them almost on a daily basis on the Palm Beach road and near the Seawoods railway station on a regular basis. Its is normally a convoy of atleast 5-7 cars of different colours like white, red, black, silver and a shade of grey. Some have alloys, others have steel rims. I always thought these were the TSI models being tested for the long term, never noticed the cross polo sticker until now.

And honestly, they are not much bigger than the normal polo which got me even more confused.

Last edited by Shome : 17th May 2013 at 10:46.
Shome is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:09   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
Another sales disaster in the making for VW.
Though I am not convinced with this avatar of the Polo and wish it doesn't really come, but may I know which one is existing sales disaster for VW?
Old 17th May 2013, 11:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
may I know which one is existing sales disaster for VW?
The Polo 1.6 and the new ridiculously priced GT TSI?

I know, too early to say, but at 9.3lac OTR its a sureshot market dud.
Scorcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2013, 11:39   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post
IMHO Polo 1.6 wasn't a sales disaster. See the ownership reports of all the Polo variants and you will notice a decent share of Polo 1.6 here. If 1.6 was a disaster then VW wouldn't have dared to replace it with much more loaded and expensive 1.2 TSI. They discontinued 1.6 to make space for 1.2 TSI. Its obvious that these hatchbacks won't sale in numbers like the other cheaper variants, so the way 1.6 performed was decent IMO.

And about the GT, we haven't even seen first month sales figures, how can we declare it a disaster.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 17th May 2013 at 11:41.
Old 17th May 2013, 11:49   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorcher View Post

I know, too early to say, but at 9.3lac OTR its a sureshot market dud.
I dont think VW's intentions are to set the charts on fire with the GT TSI. Its a niche product which will sell mainly in the metros.

Saying that its ridiculously priced and a sureshot market dud is a bit harsh considering there isn't a hatchback with similar specifications to compare.

The turbocharger, DSG box and the ESP module alone will cost close to 2 lacs. Besides the build quality is quite better than the regular premium hatchbacks. I am sure if the localization percentage was increased the price may come down but the quality may go for a toss then.

Last edited by robimahanta : 17th May 2013 at 11:50.
Old 17th May 2013, 11:55   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post
IMHO Polo 1.6 wasn't a sales disaster. See the ownership reports of all the Polo variants and you will notice a decent share of Polo 1.6 here. If 1.6 was a disaster then VW wouldn't have dared to replace it with much more loaded and expensive 1.2 TSI. They discontinued 1.6 to make space for 1.2 TSI. Its obvious that these hatchbacks won't sale in numbers like the other cheaper variants, so the way 1.6 performed was decent IMO.

And about the GT, we haven't even seen first month sales figures, how can we declare it a disaster.

No, it wasn't a disaster as much as the Kizashi or Aria, still it just couldn't appeal the masses (it was never meant to be, still) as well and was limited to a the odd petrolhead here and there.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have one, in fact, I was to buy one circa the time they pulled it out of the market and all my hopes were on the much anticipated replacement which came with the mother of all things ridiculous pricetag!

My point is, in a price sensitive market like India, they're never gonna get a winner unless they price it right. It needs to look like a steal compared to its rivals (XUV, classic case in point).

Like the S10 and Baleno, the Polo and Fabia 1.6 are sureshot future classics, the Kizashi, GV, Aria are all excllent pre-used buys, but getting it out of showrooms in the first place isn't gonna be that easy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robimahanta View Post
I dont think VW's intentions are to set the charts on fire with the GT TSI. Its a niche product which will sell mainly in the metros.

Saying that its ridiculously priced and a sureshot market dud is a bit harsh considering there isn't a hatchback with similar specifications to compare.
Agreed, it’s a niche product.

So was the Fiat 500 with a hefty crib sheet, still the Beetle and Mini Cooper outsold/sell it despite costing twice as much and doesn’t even have a diesel on option.

Us Indians like to think we got a lot more than what we paid for and that’s what exactly lacks with the cars mentioned above. The XUV, as I mentioned was a runaway success because of the wise pricing alone. The materials, the fit and finish, the MID, everything is rubbish otherwise (completely my take, no offense to any owners). I drove a 2000km run brand new example for around 500kms, all I could hear were rattles, the handbrake lever button came off, the keyfob was vibrating, the DRL wont come on on the LHS, the projector wont light up on the RHS, it was crazy, but do the market care? No.

Last edited by Scorcher : 17th May 2013 at 12:11.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks