Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Your Car of the Year 2012?
Maruti Alto 800 36 1.70%
Renault Pulse 9 0.42%
Chevrolet Sail U-VA 30 1.41%
Maruti Dzire 42 1.98%
Mahindra Quanto 22 1.04%
Maruti Ertiga 420 19.79%
Renault Scala 8 0.38%
Renault Duster 1135 53.49%
Nissan Evalia 5 0.24%
Tata Safari Storme 67 3.16%
Hyundai Elantra 97 4.57%
Ssangyong Rexton 12 0.57%
Hyundai Sonata 8 0.38%
Toyota Camry 7 0.33%
Mercedes B-Class 13 0.61%
Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 23 1.08%
Mini Cooper 28 1.32%
Audi Q3 34 1.60%
BMW 3 Series 126 5.94%
Voters: 2122. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2012, 15:21   #16
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: The Team-BHP Car of the Year 2012. EDIT : Renault Duster it is!

Not an easy choice this year as it was earlier (with the Nano, Figo & XUV500).

My shortlist:

Alto 800 : Much improved for an entry-level car, and that's no easy task with the tight budget that engineers have for a 2.5 lakh product. Great ride quality, improved driveability, contemporary looks, better interiors and higher fuel efficiency.

Dzire : The previous Dzire was just so flawed; the new Dzire is one heck of an entry-level sedan. Better interiors, superb refinement, soft ride, light / easy to drive and the right equipment levels. At 15,000+ units a month, it outsells all of its competitors combined. Sometimes, twice over.

Ertiga : You gotta hand it to Maruti for making its first diesel UV a success by giving the market exactly what it wants. And all of this from an existing parts bin! Decent space, nice engine range, car-like to drive, ABS on nearly all variants & acceptable looks.

Elantra : For emerging as the leader of the D1 segment with much of the same attributes that got the Verna to the top of the C2 category. Key difference in positioning is : The Elantra is cheaper than all of its competitors. This is Hyundai's first successful 10+ lakh car & deservedly so. The Elantra is effortless to drive in the city, has a wide range of engines & automatic transmissions, loaded with features and the typical Hyundai reliability / after-sales.

Evalia : The Evalia has the potential to be the Innova's first real competitor. Smart strategy in targeting the Xylo / Tavera owner as well as the Innova customer by parking the Evalia bang in the middle. The base & mid variants are 1.5 lakhs cheaper ex-showroom than the Innova. Considering that the Evalia will in all probability work as reliably as the Innova, has more space, is more fuel efficient and can carry more cargo, it's going to be tough for any commercial owner to overlook this advantage.

That said, my final vote goes to the Renault Duster. The first sub-10 lakh SUV that's got superb road manners & dynamics. That the Duster rides better than most <40 lakh rupee cars is common knowledge now. The 85 has excellent driveability while the 110 can burn the highway. Being based on the Logan, we can count on its durability & abuse-friendly nature. Most of all, where the Scorpio & Safari are like commercial buses to drive, the Duster is just so car-like. Sure, it's got its flaws, but the pros clearly outweigh the cons here.

The Duster is my choice for the Team-BHP Car of the Year!

Last edited by GTO : 7th December 2012 at 10:32.
GTO is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 15:27   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Very though choice but for me it's the duster that is the "key" launch this year and creates a new segment -- that of affordable SUV styled vehicles with a right combination of looks + power + space + economy.

One of the several things they got right was 2 versions in diesel + just about right pricing to start with.
It also showed that Indian consumers are willing to give a relatively unknown brand a chance if a product suits their needs. (Their fluence, pulse, Koleos don't exactly set sales charts on fire)

The second close choice would have been the Ertiga -- also a smart launch by Maruti but Duster wins this round for me.

Last edited by khan_sultan : 6th December 2012 at 15:38.
khan_sultan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 15:33   #18
BHPian

A very tough choice indeed. But i will go with the Duster. This is a car, that is changing the face of Renault in India. It is probably doing what Santro did to Hyundai a decade ago.
As for consumers, it has also opened up a new segment.
Old 6th December 2012, 15:33   #19
BHPian

This year is going to be a fight only between 2 cars IMHO, Ertiga and Duster. For me, Ertiga has found itself a sweet spot by getting the right combination of engines, Verstality of space, good quality interiors, nice external design, great handling and ride (for an MPV) and above all good pricing. My Vote is to Ertiga.
nurni76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 15:34   #20
BHPian

For me its the Duster. It has created a low cost SUV segment. Hope this will bring on more options in the near future!
Old 6th December 2012, 15:35   #21
Senior - BHPian

The Duster easily manages to sweep the floor off competitors' feet IMO. There are few quirks, missing things, but, if wishes were horses I would have been a horse trainer (not an accountant).

Ertiga, Alto 800 & Elantra are the better ones (I feel) which have been made to bite the dust by this SUV.
Old 6th December 2012, 15:38   #22
Senior - BHPian

I think it's between Ertiga and Duster this year. Those are two real super-stars this year, although there have been other successful launches. Whereas Ertiga is perceived to be real VFM, there are atleast a few people who believe that the Duster is slightly overpriced in India. Kudos to Maruti for providing ABS in all Ertiga versions (except base petrol).

At this point, I'm a bit biased towards the Ertiga, but won't vote till I fully make up my mind between these two.

Honourable mention: Elantra!

Last edited by StarrySky : 6th December 2012 at 15:42.
Old 6th December 2012, 15:47   #23
BHPian

I had a tough time deciding between Alto and Ertiga, finally voted for Ertiga.

Is Elantra really a super hit? I see almost all types of cars during my drive from home to office and back. I don't remember ever seeing Elantra on roads. If it is not seen in Mumbai, then which other city will have it? I know it is the best seller in its segment. But,..
sa_kiran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 15:49   #24
Senior - BHPian

A very close call between the Ertiga and Duster this year. Both cars have made a huge impact on the market. In the end, I voted for the Ertiga.

The 5+2 mini-MPV segment was totally unexplored in this country. While cars like the Renault Modus/Scenic, Ford B-Max/C-Max, etc are a family staple in Europe, we really had nothing in India between the Omni/Eeco and Innova/Xylo. The Ertiga was a fairly brave move from Maruti. And without the Ertiga, I don't think the market would have accepted another manufacturer's 5+2 mini-MPV. This car truly opened up a new segment.
KiloAlpha is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 15:51   #25
Senior - BHPian

I have voted for the Duster as it created a new segment as others have commented. My second choice is the Ertiga.
Old 6th December 2012, 15:52   #26
Team-BHP Support

So I'm not the only one who is debating between the Ertiga and Duster. As a product the Ertiga looks to be superior than the Duster with very few negatives. The Duster seems to strike the heart more and is a car you aspire to own. The Ertiga on the other hand is a practical choice that strikes to ones head.

The Ertiga is also very well priced, something which I think the Duster missed out on.

Tough choice and I'll have to spend some more time on it thinking between the 2.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 15:54   #27
BHPian

Having driven the key contenders here, namely the Duster and Ertiga, I've to go with the Renault. The ride is simply out of this world amazing. It's not as refined as the Ertiga, but IMO it's had a bigger impact on the market and consumers looking for small SUVs and sedan alternatives.
Old 6th December 2012, 15:54   #28
BHPian

For me it was a tie between 2 Super hit cars which was a new segment for its makers. One (Renault Duster)entered a totally new segment ruled only by desi UV makers and another (Hyundai Elantra) entered the segment buoyed by the success of its launch one segment below and has made every effort to load it with features not seen before by even car segments above it. Finally Duster triumphs only because it has made every other car maker take notice and try to focus towards launching a competitor.

Honorable mention: Maruti Ertiga. I always felt Maruti could have offered more on this than what is being offered currently.
Old 6th December 2012, 15:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Voted for the Ertiga. Duster might have opened up a new segment but its too overpriced IMO whereas Ertiga is a true VFM and has given Buyers new option too. I would have voted for the Elantra had Hyundai plonked a 2.0 L Diesel under its hood.

I think next year the Poll will be lot hotter with likes of Ecosport , Honda Amaze to name a few.
karanraheja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 16:04   #30
BHPian

For me it's the Duster. It has breathed a new lease of life to the struggling Renault brand. It also managed to pull few potential sedan customers towards itself.
A close second is Ertiga as but I feel Duster did a bit more to Renault than what Ertiga did to MSIL
champ27 is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks