Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 27th June 2014, 11:19   #1501
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

In a Nut-Shell, they should go back to their DNA. Which, are the cars with Brilliant Dynamics and Performance to blow everything out from the Sight.

Likewise, they have given us cars like Palio 1.6 GTX. What a car it was, agree that it sold in miniscule numbers. But, it had the DNA for which FIAT is known for.

They should learn from YAMAHA, how they turned the tide in their favour, by launching the bikes, which were Performance oriented and complimented the Brand for which it was known worldwide.

Tune your cars better, and they will start selling in decent numbers to the least.
sharma_sanjeevi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 11:25   #1502
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Fiat-Chrysler Automobiles' head of international operations - Mr. Mike Manley has confirmed that Jeep will make it to India before the end of 2015, as reported earlier in this article. Jeep will bring its flagship SUV - the Grand Cherokee and the rugged, go-anywhere SUV - Wrangler.

Link to news article

Last edited by S2!!! : 27th June 2014 at 11:27.
S2!!! is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th June 2014, 16:47   #1503
BHPian

With a lot of discussion on the 1.6 MJD for the linea, I think there could be another reason which I have stated below that would be discouraging fiat from launching the 1.6MJD.

According to our government's recent classification system, wouldn't the linea with its 185mm+ GC and the 1.6 MJD get classified as an SUV thereby attracting more excise duty?

This would push the price up further, making it one of the costliest in its class leading to even fewer sales numbers!
Old 27th June 2014, 19:21   #1504
BHPian

Can't wait to see the Jeep on Indian roads. A lifestyle vehicle like Thar is selling well, I am sure the Wrangler will sell well too provided they get the pricing right.
Old 28th June 2014, 08:31   #1505
BHPian

That's awesome news. And Jeep coming as a completely knocked down unit is definitely welcoming news and these cars are going to decorate the indian roads. I am sure this will be critiqued. But hey, Fiat India is bringing stuff from back home ! A little appreciation would be worthwhile. But we never know when the plan will be deferred. ! Until then its good !
Old 28th June 2014, 09:55   #1506
BHPian

Spotted a White Punto (had TC plates ) with moon Roof (Smoked out black Roof) which looked stunning. Checked with the driver if it's a new car under testing, but he replied otherwise. So, looks to be a custom job made within the factory. Car definitely looked stunning and thought would've attracted buyers if launched.

It didn't have any camo on it. Can't recall if the Interiors were new or Old. Will see if I can spot the car again. Did any one else see this car? The ORVM's had Red paint/Sticker on them.
Old 28th June 2014, 10:36   #1507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
In a Nut-Shell, they should go back to their DNA. Which, are the cars with Brilliant Dynamics and Performance to blow everything out from the Sight.

Likewise, they have given us cars like Palio 1.6 GTX. What a car it was, agree that it sold in miniscule numbers. But, it had the DNA for which FIAT is known for.

They should learn from YAMAHA, how they turned the tide in their favour, by launching the bikes, which were Performance oriented and complimented the Brand for which it was known worldwide.

Tune your cars better, and they will start selling in decent numbers to the least.
I don't think Fiat's DNA is brilliant dynamics & performance. In Europe, the mundane 1.3MJD sells along with Abarth Punto so they could have repeated this strategy in India too & they tried that with the Palio where the 1.2 was sold alongside the GTX & S10 so why they backed off from launching the Punto T-Jet along with the mundane variants is beyond me.

But you do have a point about Fiat's cars not being positioned anywhere. They tried to position the Linea & Punto as everyman's car but the competition was too fierce & Fiat failed in after sales service badly (with Tata). Of course, the engine tuning & gearing also played it's role. Instead, they could have gone the Palio 1.6 way, maybe owner's would have forgiven shoddy after sales service for the performance the car's delivered. They should have accepted that's it's not in them to understand the average Indian buyer's psyche & tried to work with the passionate car nuts instead. Ultimately, I think Fiat got it's timing all wrong. They brought the GTX / S10 when the market was just not ready for such cars & when the market was warming up to performance hatchback's they went in the opposite direction!

Last edited by amit : 28th June 2014 at 10:41.
amit is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th June 2014, 10:52   #1508
BHPian

Some things about Fiat are always hard to fathom. The same 1.3 MJD engine was configured / tuned better on Swift, Vista & Manza than the Punto & Linea.

I drove both a Swift & Vista MJD and found them better than Punto even though the latter looks far better.

Maybe the lower weight of Swift helps but even Vista was more drivable in the city than Punto Sport 90 HP. But yes, on the highway & hills Punto is better.
Old 28th June 2014, 12:02   #1509
Senior - BHPian

maruti gearbox ratios are slightly different resulting in better "feel" and driveability.
Old 28th June 2014, 12:05   #1510
BHPian

>>>

Any (latest) update on the Abarth?
Model(s)? Launch timelines? Approximate price(s)?

Regards
Old 28th June 2014, 15:12   #1511
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone wondered what Fiat will do when Maruti and Tata start using their own diesel engines that both companies have under development? Would I be wrong in thinking that Fiat will find it difficult to sustain itself, with just selling <1500 cars per month (when they have a good month)?

I'm in the market for a sedan and being used to the Fabia, I find it hard to drive any car that won't give me the same driving pleasure. Linea is beautiful and the upgrades done recently (interior & exterior) suit my preferences. It's also an excellent drivers car and a perfect companion to the Fabia.

Consider this. For revenue, Fiat sells the 1.6 MJD to Maruti, Tata and everyone else in the market before they use it themselves and when time comes, all other manufacturers will switch to their own diesels. Where then, will it leave Fiat? I hope for their sake that they won't be too late in launching the 1.6 mjd in the Linea and 1.4 T-Jet in the Punto. They will also need an AT considering the market shift and priority towards the same.

Fiat is one company survived by driving enthusiasts and I hope to extensively TD the Linea MJD before considering it in Dec this year. But they should quickly adapt to manage their business & financial interests AND their loyal enthusiast bank, before customers and potential customers abandon ship. For other manufacturers, when they have their own needs fulfilled, surely will.
Old 30th June 2014, 20:36   #1512
Senior - BHPian

OMG! Rushlane posted some high-quality Punto FL spy pics here http://www.rushlane.com/photos/fiat-...picture-3.html

The wheels are 16 inches 195/55/R16. Finally that ugly wheel well is almost filled.

Cheers!

Vinu

Last edited by myavu : 30th June 2014 at 20:37.
myavu is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st July 2014, 00:03   #1513
Senior - BHPian

What's the plan issigonis? I thought you would be more keen on the mini and it's various avatars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>

Any (latest) update on the Abarth?
Model(s)? Launch timelines? Approximate price(s)?

Regards
Old 1st July 2014, 08:53   #1514
BHPian

>>>
Just curious. Have been hearing of the Abarth to be introduced here for some time.
The modern Mini is the complete antithesis of the original.This one is a not so small, in your face, overpriced but technically good second car.
The 500 is not so large and not in your face at all - ditto the new Beetle.
Old 1st July 2014, 09:19   #1515
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by issigonis View Post
>>>
Just curious. Have been hearing of the Abarth to be introduced here for some time.
The modern Mini is the complete antithesis of the original.This one is a not so small, in your face, overpriced but technically good second car.
The 500 is not so large and not in your face at all - ditto the new Beetle.
Abarth 500 will be launched in November - December time frame sgyer yhe Avventura is priced. The initial survey of guaging what the market is willing to pay is done. Now need to wait for the actual launch to see the positioning.

I personally feel any pricing over 20-21 lakhs on road is on the higher side. Under 20 lakhs it may actually get a few cars off the showroom floor.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed