Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 4th July 2014, 20:04   #1561
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Love the all black interior. May the tribe increase!

Is the slot for front number plate now pushed inside the grille? Will look a little weird I guess.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 20:06   #1562
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by devansn View Post
Because the plastic panel itself is not there right now - I would say good decision, because that is the one that looses colour the earliest. I know why you are a gold customer of 3M.

Personally, I feel this bonnet washer system looks a bit uglier due to the insect-like antennae sticking out on the bonnet - ruins the plain surface unnecessarily. That aside, another downside to this system is that there will almost always be a (dried up) water mark left behind, around that nozzle area on the bonnet metal. Noticed this a lot on old Palios and some other cars with this setup. Of course, one might argue that this could be due to the owner filling hard water into the washer fluid tank, but sooner or later, any water will get old and stain the area on the bonnet everytime the nozzle is used on a clean car. Also, isn't this setup a little more vulnerable to bonnet metal corrosion if the paint in that area chips off, etc?? Correct me if I'm wrong though.

Quote:
Engine options, being a 75 HP MJD Punto owner myself, I will not say that the 1.3 MJD is insufficient for this car, compared to the other diesels in the same class. With its great handling, this one can keep up pretty well with the others - its a bit of learning curve as to how you can extract the horses though. However, since the T-Jet is already here in India, they could have given this option, with or without an automatic transmission. Too much to ask, eh?
The engines are capable no doubt, I agree with you. It has always been the short gearing on 1st and 2nd gears on the MultiJets which is ruining the way the vehicles accelerate. After 5 years of criticism on that, they ought to have fixed that complaint now. Surely they can take a leaf out of Maruti's book and see how a 75HP Swift feels quicker than the 90HP Punto simply with a better sorted out gearbox.

Last edited by KarthikK : 4th July 2014 at 20:10.
KarthikK is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th July 2014, 21:35   #1563
BHPian

Now this is called a face-lift. Good job Fiat, hope it sells in good nos too.

Is it officially confirmed that current engine options will be carried over?

I am asking as there were some news/rumours of Fiat working on 1.5L Multijet for India. I wish they get that with this face-lift or with Avventura atleast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetjohn View Post
Is the slot for front number plate now pushed inside the grille? Will look a little weird I guess.
Exactly I was thinking, there seems to be no space for front number plate to rest on.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 06:44   #1564
BHPian

Some more pictures from Team Fiat

Rear AC vent, a good & useful addition and 16 inch alloys for the 90HP.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo-2014-rear-ac-vent.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo-2014-tail-lights.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo-2014-rear-fog-lights.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo-2014-alloys.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo-2014-ambient-lighting.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo-2014-orvm-turn-indicators.jpg  

S.MJet is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 07:36   #1565
Distinguished - BHPian

Overall a good effort in getting the facelift. With this much effort put into make the exteriors and interiors look better, one can only wonder why the gearbox/gear ratios is untouched which is where the most of grumbling is around.

They lost an opportunity to get the Euro spec gearbox with the Linea and Punto facelifts.

Aggressive pricing and marketing should see this Punto Evo selling at 1000-1200 units a month.

PS: Fiat if you are reading this, plonk the Tjet engine in the new punto to cater to the niche customers.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 07:38   #1566
BHPian

Is it just me or this face-lift is getting better with every pic. I must congratulate Fiat for actually giving it a 'facelift'. Seems like the look they are going for is more flashy than classy, still it looks very good. I am still drooling over 16 inch's and those beautiful lights everywhere (typical Indian I guess ). I must say that even if they don't work on the gear ratios of 90hp, this product still looks like a really good upgrade
Zigor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 09:44   #1567
Senior - BHPian

One word, WOW! It is difficult to come up with a sequel to a design which was already drool worthy but kudos to FIAT!! They have come up with this beauty. I personally liked the front design seems to give the car a more sporty design to the earlier cute one. Only thing I didnt like was the alloys. They should have come up with different design.

+1 to all black interiors. Makes it so much better looking. Alas if they had reduced the chrome on the outside. Think most of them will mask it with black vinyl. Same to the jetspray nozzle.

I hope that Fiat atleast provides sporty pedals along with different gear knob atleast for the 90HP ones. It makes the car look so much better.

All in all looks like Fiat have got themselves a good package. All they have to do is come up with a competitive pricing and also tighten up their service centers.
TorqueyTechie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 11:57   #1568
BHPian

Interior is ok according to my taste; better than exterior modification. Round Air-con vents, is not to my liking.

Let's hope it has the Ride &Handling of pre-2012 Puntos.

Does the new one got Cruise control?

Last edited by Twiny : 5th July 2014 at 11:59.
Old 5th July 2014, 12:14   #1569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
...downside to this system is that there will almost always be a (dried up) water mark left behind, around that nozzle area on the bonnet metal...
I have had this problem in my Swift too! Some detailers say that the stains just can NOT be removed now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
Now this is called a face-lift...
+1. Hope others sit and notice the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post
...Rear AC vent, a good & useful addition and 16 inch alloys for the 90HP.
The vehicle is getting a lot more delicious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
...one can only wonder why the gearbox/gear ratios is untouched which is where the most of grumbling is around...
Spot on. Add to it, some of the ergonomics issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zigor View Post
Is it just me or this face-lift is getting better with every pic...
Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueyTechie View Post
One word, WOW!...
Unlike the most, I am on of those few who could NOT really love the way the current Punto looks. But this facelift makes my heart beat faster. I think I am one of those who prefer a bit more style than a pure clean European design.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 14:20   #1570
BHPian

Looks very premium and upmarket, without spoiling the classic design of the old gen. The Linea-spec design looks more stunning in an all black interior.

The rear AC vents are a nice addition, although electrically retractable mirrors and the options available in the"Linea-spec" would have added to the gizmo-frenzy Indian expectations.

The engine could have had some improvements as VW POLO has increased its engine to a considerably higher level. European-Specs like the DualDrive steering and the gear box could have made its Indian debut.

All together , Fiat monumentally fails to market its strengths. The presence of a car named Punto is still a mystery for a lot of people. With a healthy and heavy marketing, it can make a good turnaround in its business end.
Old 5th July 2014, 14:44   #1571
Senior - BHPian

WOW! This is smashing. Kudos for FIAT.

Hope the mirrors are electric folding too. I am so happy for all black interiors.

Wish they had tweaked the gear ratios too.

Now what? After test driving 2014 Fiesta I was almost sold on that. Now my heart got corrupted. Now upcoming Avventura will create more confusion and I need some counselling soon.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 5th July 2014, 15:08   #1572
BHPian

Agreed current Punto looks better from front but believe me when in Rome do what the Romans do and to cater to a larger audience in India, we Indians would love the looks of this new Punto.

In my opinion, Fiat has rightly made the car with an aggressive stance and to look at from both front and rear. With the Chrome encapsulations in the rear and front bumpers, makes it certainly more manly and aggressive as compared to the sedate and beautifull design of the old Punto.

If you could re-tune your engines like the Maruti then you have a sure shot winner to establish the brand in India.

And the best part, with the new colour offerings like the Yellow and Orange in the pictures, these cars would get noticed more and get more people in the showrooms. Remember Fiat was the pioneer in India with huge variety of bright colour offerings in the Palio.

Fiat !! great Job and wish you all the best.

Last edited by namit : 5th July 2014 at 15:13. Reason: added more content
Old 5th July 2014, 15:16   #1573
BHPian

Looks very upmarket and premium without spoiling the timeless design of the outgoing car.The Linea-spec dashboard looks classy in all black.

The REAR AC VENTS increases the desirability of the product although electric folding ORVM's and Linea-spec features would have enthralled the gizmo-frenzy Indians.

The engine could have been improved as VW has improved its performance end of POLO considerably to a greater extent. With other manufacturers like Hyundai on the verge of releasing its next-gen cars, the "improved engine" tagline would have created a wave.

Above all the aforementioned things, marketing of Fiat India has always been a monumental failure. Coming to know that Fiat is the market leader in countries like Brazil, the current situation is a far cry from that. It has always failed to market its strengths, and the presence is almost a void in the minds of the Indians.
Old 5th July 2014, 15:16   #1574
BHPian

Absolutely smashing! I am floored. This should undoubtedly be the best looking compact hatch under 10L price tag. Wonder why the Linea facelift is not on the same design theme?!, would have resembled Aston Martin DB series.
Old 5th July 2014, 16:37   #1575
Senior - BHPian

I don't know, I feel there that X factor seems to be missing from this update. The first Punto made me go "wow I want that" but this one doesn't evoke those feelings. Maybe because I already owned the Punto so the desire to own one is less or maybe I need to see a better, more clear picture or see it in metal to be clear if I like it.

Having said that, with no upgrade's to the engine or gearbox, Fiat has lost the chance to redeem to their model's specially since this is a major face lift and should carry on for at least another 2 years. The new Polo will come with a 1.5L diesel in probably 2 states of tune and the Punto will be found wanting with the kind of performance the engine/gearbox combo offer's. What about the suspension? Does it still have that ridiculously high SUV type clearance?
amit is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed