Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2013, 07:01   #166
MHG
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

I know Jeep Wrangler will be an ideal halo car for Fiat, but who wouldn't want to see Dodge Challenger instead ? Perhaps with a high end diesel engine instead of the petrol...
Old 8th January 2013, 08:23   #167
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
I know Jeep Wrangler will be an ideal halo car for Fiat, but who wouldn't want to see Dodge Challenger instead ? Perhaps with a high end diesel engine instead of the petrol...
Nothing better than a SRT Viper for a halo car if Fiat really needs a halo car for its India operations. But am pretty sure they are not planning a right hand drive model. 8.4 V10 producing 640 bhp of naturally aspirated horses! Woah!
At current prices with duty and stuff, it would be around about 1 crore and 20 lakhs.
Old 9th January 2013, 12:54   #168
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
The HOT news just got HOTTER. ACI speculates on Punto Abarth.

Mobile version of the link : http://m.autocarindia.com/Article.as...7991&type=News
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marauder View Post
Fiat to launch Punto Abarth in 2013
http://www.autocarindia.com/News/327...this-year.aspx
ACI says it will localised and priced around 8-9 lakhs with 1.4 T-Jet delivering 165bhp!!
Finally a real hot hatch!
What is a prospective customer supposed to do in this scenario?. Last year they launched Punto Sport. Now they are planning the Abarth and maybe even a Punto Evo in 2013 and an all new Punto in 2014.

I guess prospective customers will just wait and watch or go for other brands in this segment. I was looking at the Punto sport and seeing all these news, I will just wait and watch what happens rather than going and plonking my money on the Punto Sport.
Old 9th January 2013, 13:59   #169
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post

What is a prospective customer supposed to do in this scenario?. Last year they launched Punto Sport. Now they are planning the Abarth and maybe even a Punto Evo in 2013 and an all new Punto in 2014.

I guess prospective customers will just wait and watch or go for other brands in this segment. I was looking at the Punto sport and seeing all these news, I will just wait and watch what happens rather than going and plonking my money on the Punto Sport.
See it all depends on what you want. If you need an Abarth, you have to wait. If you are ok with a Punto Sport, you could buy it now & probably upgrade after 3 years. I for one, am not happpy with the current Punto / Linea. So I will wait & check whether the new versions are good. If so will take a plunge.

Agree with you that the strategy is confusing from a customers perspective for the next 3 years, but Fiat needs to start somewhere. :-)
Old 9th January 2013, 14:15   #170
BHPian

Since Fiat is already opening new showrooms and service center, it will be better they launch mass product first. Since no word so far on sub Punto car launch, it will be better they launch Punto Evo first and then the Abarth version of the same.

Punto Evo with new exteriors and intriors can be pitched as all new car and will attract new buyers. Just refreshing existing punto to abarth might not work since as per layman it will be just an engine upgrade.

Also i seriously doubt how many people really know about Abarth, so they might not feel any premiumness about it. (example- fiat 500 vs Beetle)

Last edited by autoweirdo : 9th January 2013 at 14:18. Reason: additional information added
Old 9th January 2013, 14:29   #171
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Punto Sport was just a cosmetic makeover of the Emotion 90HP, so it wasn't a true blue upgrade in that sense.

The Punto Evo will be the 'all new' Punto in 2014, whenever they plan to bring it out. You have to decide on whether to wait 1 year for the new version, or if your need is urgent you can just plonk your money on the current Sport. As far as I know, they don't have any launches planned in the Fiat stable for 2013.

Abarth Punto will be a 2-door 180+bhp version, so practicality in city traffic abuse, and its role for family use will be severely compromised. This would be a fantastic, in fact unparalleled 'burn the rubber' option for weekends, track days and long drives though. Prices of Abarth Punto will definitely shoot through the roof and hit figures of 12-13L, I'm sure. It will be interesting to see how the Indian market reacts to a 'sports' hatchback with a 12L+ price tag *lol*.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th January 2013 at 14:40.
Old 9th January 2013, 15:21   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

In addition to what others have said, the Abarth is going to be a petrol car.

My suggestion would be to hang on till March when Fiat is to launch a refresh of the Linea & Punto. The news is that the refresh for the Punto will be the Evo facelift and most importantly the Evo interiors

That alone should be worth the wait. If you are in a hurry and already like the current Punto, go ahead and take the plunge. I'm sure you will not regret it.
Old 9th January 2013, 15:49   #173
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Abarth Punto will be a 2-door 180+bhp version, so practicality in city traffic abuse, and its role for family use will be severely compromised. This would be a fantastic, in fact unparalleled 'burn the rubber' option for weekends, track days and long drives though. Prices of Abarth Punto will definitely shoot through the roof and hit figures of 12-13L, I'm sure. It will be interesting to see how the Indian market reacts to a 'sports' hatchback with a 12L+ price tag *lol*.
Car magazines are saying that we will get a local version of the Abarth Punto, i.e. regular 4 door Punto with the Linea's 1.4 T jet tuned for a higher output. This may keep prices a bit realistic. Also, a 4-door will be much more practical. But its all speculation at this point.
Old 9th January 2013, 15:51   #174
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
...Abarth Punto will be a 2-door 180+bhp version, so practicality in city traffic abuse, and its role for family use will be severely compromised. This would be a fantastic, in fact unparalleled 'burn the rubber' option for weekends, track days and long drives though. Prices of Abarth Punto will definitely shoot through the roof and hit figures of 12-13L, I'm sure. It will be interesting to see how the Indian market reacts to a 'sports' hatchback with a 12L+ price tag *lol*.
If you go buy the report from ACI, Abarth will be locally assembled & will be made as a 4/5 door hatchback. And they say it will be a 165 bhp version. Price expected is 8-9L ex showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
..In addition to what others have said, the Abarth is going to be a petrol car...
I read somewhere that Indian Abarth may get a 1.6L MJD too knowing that this is a diesel obsessed country. Will have to wait & see. :-)

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th January 2013 at 15:53.
Old 9th January 2013, 16:39   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun

In addition to what others have said, the Abarth is going to be a petrol car.

My suggestion would be to hang on till March when Fiat is to launch a refresh of the Linea & Punto. The news is that the refresh for the Punto will be the Evo facelift and most importantly the Evo interiors

That alone should be worth the wait. If you are in a hurry and already like the current Punto, go ahead and take the plunge. I'm sure you will not regret it.
Yea I hope they launch the evo version sooner than later and that is what I have been reading on various forums. I can wait for 6 months max.
Old 9th January 2013, 16:54   #176
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
Car magazines are saying that we will get a local version of the Abarth Punto, i.e. regular 4 door Punto with the Linea's 1.4 T jet tuned for a higher output. This may keep prices a bit realistic. Also, a 4-door will be much more practical. But its all speculation at this point.
I would take their reports with a pinch of salt. The Linea T-Jet actually costed 1 lac rupees more than even the diesel emotion variant. The reason for this was because the T-Jet engine block and internals were completely imported from Italy. Anyway, point is : using the T-Jet engine doesn't provide any cost advantage for them, since it was imported from day 1.

Completely agree on the speculation part. We can only do that at this stage . I agree on the 4-door version being more practical, but think of it - the Abarth version is supposed to be a tuned roadster version of the Punto. Making it family-ish with 4 doors defeats the whole purpose of building the Abarth brand image. It is a tradeoff which only Fiat/Abarth can decide on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If you go buy the report from ACI, Abarth will be locally assembled & will be made as a 4/5 door hatchback. And they say it will be a 165 bhp version. Price expected is 8-9L ex showroom.
Magazines love to deflate price tags and create hype. That price, though I would like it that way, is simply impossible to achieve . Even if the speculation about the 5 door version coming in is true, I can safely guarantee that the T-Jet engine will make the price skyrocket further. I paid 8.7L (7.5L ex-showroom) for a 1.3L multijet version of Punto. 8L for Abarth!!??

Even if they use the Linea's 120bhp T-Jet engine, which by the way was wholly imported here, expect an increase of 1-1.5L for the engine costs. They are speculated to bring in the 165bhp T-Jet engine and take the CKD route, plus Abarth Puntos have refurbished interiors, spruced up suspension and brakes, racing seats, panorama sunroof, etc etc. If they manage to achieve all this and price Abarth versions at 8-9L, they better start selling multijet Puntos like hotcakes at 4-5L *lol*. Jokes apart, my take is the price will be at least 3-4L more than the current Punto 'sport'.

Quote:
I read somewhere that Indian Abarth may get a 1.6L MJD too knowing that this is a diesel obsessed country. Will have to wait & see. :-)
Now this is interesting. I just hope they manage to wring a few extra horses out of that 1.6L, otherwise it will be just another 'Abarth' stickered fake like my present car. I agree with you - This 1.6L MultiJet version sounds like the most practical Abarth hot hatch yet in India.

Last edited by KarthikK : 9th January 2013 at 17:04.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 09:27   #177
BHPian

Official list of FIAT cars till 2016:

Here is the list of FIAT cars to be launched or refreshed till 2016 starting this year.

2013:
New Punto Refresh: Initial 2013
New Linea Refresh: Initial 2013
Linea Classic: End of 2013

2014:
Punto New Model: First half of 2014
B-Segment CUV: Second half of 2014
New Linea: Starting 2014

2015:
Special Edition of Punto: Middle of 2015
Special Edition of Linea: Middle of 2015

2016:
Refresh of 2015 Punto
Refresh of Linea Classic
Refresh of New Linea

Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiatupcomingcarsindia.jpg

Official list of all 8 JEEP SUVs till 2016:

This is the list of JEEP SUVs to be launched or refreshed till 2017 starting this year.

2013:
Wrangler: Second Half of 2013
Grand Cherokee: Second Half of 2013

2014:
Jeep has kept this year as blank in the slide without any products lined up.

2015:
B-Segment SUV: Mid 2015

2016:
Wrangler Refresh: Beginning of 2016
Grand Cherokee Refresh: Mid 2016
C-Segment SUV: Mid 2016

2017:
B-Segment SUV Refresh: Mid 2017
C-Segment SUV Refresh: Mid 2017

Fiat's India strategy revealed-jeepindiaproducts.jpg

JEEP will use 1.4 Petrol and 1.6 Diesel in their B and C SUVs:

Quote:
Now comes the revelation. This small SUV will come with an engine option each in both petrol and diesel. As you can see from the following slide, Jeep’s B-SUV will sport:

1.4L Turbocharged Petrol Engine
1.6L Turbocharged Diesel Engine
The 1.6L Turbo diesel mill is expected to be the 1.6L Multi-jet which Fiat will also use in other upcoming cars. The 1.4L petrol that Fiat is talking about here looks like an improvised version of the same mill that does duty on the Linea and Grand Punto 1.4.
Fiat's India strategy revealed-jeepbsegmentsuvindia.jpg

Source:
1. http://motorbash.com/list-of-all-11-...2016-official/

2. http://motorbash.com/official-list-o...dels-in-india/

3. http://motorbash.com/jeeps-indian-co...arged-engines/
sarthakgupta is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 11th January 2013, 09:51   #178
Senior - BHPian

I'm simply going to ignore the slide around cars cause it doesnt really excite me much if those are the launches.

But the Jeep slide looks exciting. Wrangler is a suitable product (though niche) , highly custom friendly and i can't wait to see what plans Fiat has for it. GC will be a great alternative to the pseudo-SUV softroaders!

Do we know how old these slides are? I just hope these are not from a slide pack from 2010 outlining Fiat's vision for Inda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
Official list of FIAT cars till 2016:

Official list of all 8 JEEP SUVs till 2016:

This is the list of JEEP SUVs to be launched or refreshed till 2017 starting this year.

2013:
Wrangler: Second Half of 2013
Grand Cherokee: Second Half of 2013

2014:
Jeep has kept this year as blank in the slide without any products lined up.

2015:
B-Segment SUV: Mid 2015

2016:
Wrangler Refresh: Beginning of 2016
Grand Cherokee Refresh: Mid 2016
C-Segment SUV: Mid 2016

2017:
B-Segment SUV Refresh: Mid 2017
C-Segment SUV Refresh: Mid 2017

JEEP will use 1.4 Petrol and 1.6 Diesel in their B and C SUVs:

[/url]
Old 11th January 2013, 10:06   #179
Distinguished - BHPian

The hottest news doing rounds in the Indian automotive circuit is the introduction of the Punto Abarth in Q3 of 2013

http://indianautosblog.com/2013/01/f...#ixzz2Hddzklcu
Old 11th January 2013, 11:44   #180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Do we know how old these slides are?
AFAIK, these slides are from the Fiat press conference held in early December 2012.
StarrySky is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks