Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2015, 12:44   #2281
//M
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed

Saw this Jeep Grand Cherokee an hour back in Aundh, Pune.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-dscn7234.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-dscn7235.jpg  

//M is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 01:03   #2282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Not sure if this belongs to this thread. Mods please move to relevant thread.

Found 4 Renegades being imported into India. Wondering if this if by FIAT. Surprised to see it being imported from US, while it's built in Italy. I'm assuming it to be imported by a competitor for benchmarking.

Attachment 1444363
If 4 are not too many for benchmarking, 7 definitely are (3 more units imported). Looks like Fiat is the importer here and they are bullish on local production of Renegade. Maybe launching even before 2017 ?

Fiat's India strategy revealed-untitled.png
Senna4Ever is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th December 2015, 06:16   #2283
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
If 4 are not too many for benchmarking, 7 definitely are (3 more units imported). Looks like Fiat is the importer here and they are bullish on local production of Renegade. Maybe launching even before 2017 ?
Wondering if its going to be tested as a Renegade or going to be a Mule for the upcoming CSUV that'll be based on this Jeep.
Let's hope to get a spyshot soon, hopefully from in and around Pune.
Old 19th December 2015, 09:59   #2284
BHPian

I'm wondering why FIAT India is registered as a company with activities in "Manufacture of other fabricated metal products; metal working service" ?

Almost all other auto companies have registered activities as "Manufacture of Motor Vehicles".
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:11   #2285
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat 1.5-litre diesel on hold.

With key partners developing 1.5-litre diesel engines in-house, Fiat's own sales volume cannot justify production.

Maruti and Tata's plans on their own diesel engine development would not justify the project cost for Fiat on the 1.5 engine.

Quote:
With Maruti and Tata headed in this direction and Fiat’s dwindling sales of 694 units per month (six month average) as against the required 4,500 units per month in the Indian market, the company cannot find a reason to invest heavily in the manufacturing process.
http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ld-399256.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 23rd December 2015 at 12:13.
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 12:30   #2286
BHPian

Move your bums and Just put the 1.6 in Linea and Punto.. Fiat should have done it in 2014 It's 16 now!
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:03   #2287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by freedom View Post
Move your bums and Just put the 1.6 in Linea and Punto.. Fiat should have done it in 2014 It's 16 now!
What's the point of that? Its already a 10 year old platform. Wouldn't sell now at all.
Fiat desperately needs to get the Jeep brand here. This country is in love with SUV's now. A Regenade would've been perfect IMO. I don't think that they are interested though.
Old 23rd December 2015, 20:06   #2288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
'Enthusiasts' clamoured for an Abarth badge and a fast turbo petrol engine in a Punto, with good handling, and a cheap price tag and what-all and what-nots.
What was the sales figure again?

The 1.6 didn't sell in a Maruti. What makes you think it'll change Fiat's fortunes?

Last edited by schakravarthy : 23rd December 2015 at 20:12.
schakravarthy is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th December 2015, 08:34   #2289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
'Enthusiasts' clamoured for an Abarth badge and a fast turbo petrol engine in a Punto, with good handling, and a cheap price tag and what-all and what-nots.
What was the sales figure again?

The 1.6 didn't sell in a Maruti. What makes you think it'll change Fiat's fortunes?
I am not a Fiat fanboy.
Linea desperately needs a 1.6 diesel. The 1.3 doesn't do justice to its chassis. And I feel they should have launched the Linea with a 1.6 diesel way back in 2009 itself (or as so as the engine was ready for production).

Punto Abarth - I would have considered it if it had a 2 clutch slick AT but nope, Fiat won't do it. Didn't bother waiting for it and bought GT TSI.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 26th December 2015 at 19:12. Reason: Typos + punctuation errors.
Old 26th December 2015, 10:58   #2290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senna4Ever View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21Archer84 View Post
Wondering if its going to be tested as a Renegade or going to be a Mule for the upcoming CSUV that'll be based on this Jeep.
Let's hope to get a spyshot soon, hopefully from in and around Pune.
These could be for Auto Expo, read somewhere, (I think Autocar) that Fiat is going to showcase Renegade along with Cherokee & Wrangler at Auto Expo, probably to gauge market response.
Old 26th December 2015, 19:00   #2291
BHPian

Quote:
I would have considered it if it had a 2clutch slick AT but nope, fiat won't do it. Didn't bother waiting for it and bought. GT TSI.
I reckon most of the enthusiasts would prefer a manual over AT. Fiat has nailed it on the right spot. The only fly in the ointment is long throws and lack of slick-shifts in Abarth Punto. A well sorted MT would have made it an exceptional package.
Old 26th December 2015, 19:23   #2292
BHPian

[QUOTEI reckon most of the enthusiasts would prefer a manual over AT. Fiat has nailed it on the right spot. The only fly in the ointment is long throws and lack of slick-shifts in Abarth Punto. A well sorted MT would have made it an exceptional package.][/quote]

It is still an Exceptional Package and had it been offered under any other badge I can say it would have been lapped up by enthusiast with eyes closed.

Nothing and I say Nothing Come even a Fraction closer to Abrath Punto under 10 lakh
Old 26th December 2015, 19:39   #2293
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pferdestarke View Post
I reckon most of the enthusiasts would prefer a manual over AT. Fiat has nailed it on the right spot. The only fly in the ointment is long throws and lack of slick-shifts in Abarth Punto. A well sorted MT would have made it an exceptional package.

I was replying back in the context of the post that quoted my earlier comment
Enthusiast- prefer manual
But for someone like me who can have only 1 car it's tough not to pick a AT
Old 27th December 2015, 06:18   #2294
BANNED

I was chatting with a Ramkay Fiat guy in Chennai the other day. He said they sold one (!) Abarth Punto so far, but sell about 30-35 cars a month totally. That's a respectable number. Fiat has 100+ dealers, and if the average per dealer were half that figure, they'd be selling close to 2000 cars per month. Clearly sales figures are very skewed, with some cities doing OK and some (most?) doing miserably. How do they plan to fix that?
Old 27th December 2015, 08:44   #2295
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I was chatting with a Ramkay Fiat guy in Chennai the other day. He said they sold one (!) Abarth Punto so far, but sell about 30-35 cars a month totally. That's a respectable number. Fiat has 100+ dealers, and if the average per dealer were half that figure, they'd be selling close to 2000 cars per month. Clearly sales figures are very skewed, with some cities doing OK and some (most?) doing miserably. How do they plan to fix that?
Ramkay Fiat is one of the better dealers in Chennai for both Sales and Service. RDC is no where as good as Ramkay in the service department.Hence it is very likely that repeat customers and word of mouth customers would buy from Ramkay rather than from RDC. But one good dealer is not enough to turn fortunes for an Automaker.

My biggest fear with the Fiat was that what would I do with the Linea, if Hypothetically Ramkay were to shut shop ( They do brisk business and hence it is very unlikely). One would never have these kinds of thoughts with the Maruthi's of the world.

My Fiat has been declared as Total Loss (Category A damage) and i doubt if I would buy another Fiat 'New' owing chiefly due to the horrendous resale value of Fiat's (especially Linea). This is the problem where 90% of the people who wants to buy a Fiat but would shy away due to Resale value. So launching Jeep/Abarth/1.6 MJD/Space Shuttle ...etc would not make much of a difference.

Then again, in-spite of the limited leg room, the Linea's rear seat was very comfortable for sitting 3 people in relative comfort (Compared to Ecosport, Rapid, Verna and Sunny) for long distances and it did the Full Leh circuit(except Wari la which was closed) without even a rattle. It was the epitome of reliability and sturdiness in a single package.

Going forward, I either need to save for a XUV500 or settle for one of the many Tin cans .

Last edited by Aceman82 : 27th December 2015 at 08:46.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks