Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2018, 19:15   #2461
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat-Chrysler looking for a merger - Who is the best fit?

Basically FCA will stay in India, but will switch tracks to Jeep.

Quote:
Last year, Fiat sold just 2,698 units, and that isn’t even a percent but just a fraction of a percentage of the market size. So winding up is a distinct possibility for Fiat.
FIAT CRONOS nor TIPO seem viable for India.

Quote:
The Cronos is a low-cost car based on FCA’s MP1 platform that isn’t in use in India, thus ruling it out. The Tipo is a possibility, being based on the Small Wide LWB platform (the same as the Compass), but there’s a fly in the ointment. The Tipo’s engines would have to be reverse engineered for our BS-IV standard or come in the BS-VI guise, both of which would make it pricer than its competition
Link
Old 30th May 2018, 20:16   #2462
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed

FIAT axes its Punto hatchback in Europe, no replacement planned- India plans unkown yet.

Quote:
It is time for the Punto to pass away. After the end of production of the Fiat Palio in South America, the company has officially stopped the production of another glorious nameplate. The Fiat Punto has been in the market for 25 years and after 4 years of agony, the brand decided to kill the model without a direct successor.
Looking back over its glorious years,

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto1.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto2.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto4.jpg

Quote:
The car was available for 25 years and now says goodbye after a brilliant carreer with an abrupt end which was the consequence of bad planning and the lack of interest from the management. There won’t be a direct successor, at least for now. But the 9 million units sold will always remind us that there was a Fiat that once led the European market.
Source:

Last edited by volkman10 : 30th May 2018 at 20:18.
volkman10 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th May 2018, 21:55   #2463
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
FIAT axes its Punto hatchback in Europe, no replacement planned- India plans unkown yet.
With this, Fiat no longer make cars in Italy. The only Fiat made in Italy is the 500X SUV. Existing plants have been scaled down and used for Alfa's and Jeep Renegades. Tipos come from Turkey, 500 and Panda comes from Poland. The 500L comes from Serbia

Last edited by ajmat : 31st May 2018 at 10:43.
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 07:42   #2464
Distinguished - BHPian

Coming Friday the confirmation of the below is likely to be seen:

- Fiat cars are likely to exit China and North America - where does India stand here, guess will exit too.

- FCA's future will rely on Jeeps and Maserati luxury cars while downsizing its namesake brands

-Expansion will be underpinned by rolling out brawny Jeep and Ram vehicles globally

-Combining Alfa Romeo and Maserati into a single division in FCA's financial reports which could mark the first step to an eventual spin-off

Source:
volkman10 is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 09:25   #2465
BHPian

Sad to see Fiat Punto go off the assembly line! It was my most desirable car at some point in the past. When it was launched, it had some of the most enticing features like the Bluetooth connectivity, those killer looks etc.

It's sad that I could never get around to buy one myself, though helped a couple of my friends to buy one!

Linea might also see a similar fate in coming days is what I feel.
Old 31st May 2018, 10:30   #2466
Senior - BHPian

The resale value of Punto suddenly nosedived after this news I guess.

Its sad to see a well engineered car totally let down by a least interested and least aggressive strategy management see the end of its run.

So as a Punto owner going forward what should I be worried about? Maintenance, Resale, no equivalent option in market....
Old 31st May 2018, 10:42   #2467
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
It was never great. In fact I got my previous car, a 5 year old Fiat Uno with 25000 km on it, for 1 lakh. Drove it for 6 years, then got a Punto in the knowledge that it would not have a good resale value either. (Fiat gave me 40k exchange for the Uno, which was not a bad deal given what I originally paid.)

Quote:
So as a Punto owner going forward what should I be worried about? Maintenance, Resale, no equivalent option in market....
My Punto is almost 8 years old, 66000+ km, never the slightest trouble on the road. I plan to keep it as long as it works, by which time its resale value would be near zero. I expect FCA will continue to service it for a while, at least in metros like Chennai where there are a large number on the road.
Old 31st May 2018, 10:44   #2468
Senior - BHPian

Linea which is based on Punto will see the same fate then. Looking at the sales since last couple of years at least, I would have stopped the marquee long back.

I hope they would continue to support current owners with spares and service. Even though the attention is now on JEEP brand, its surprising to see that Management is not keen on bringing other affordable cars under JEEP. We had seen Renegade doing rounds here but still no concrete news on it.
Old 31st May 2018, 12:02   #2469
mxh
BHPian

So now Punto is being killed off and just few days ago I read an enthusiastic post from someone who bought a new April 2018 manufactured Abarth Punto. I feel pity for buyers who will soon realize that they have bought an expensive brick with high depreciation. 'JEEP' brand will face the same fate as Fiat eventually due to mismanagement at the highest levels.
Old 31st May 2018, 12:41   #2470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

Resale was never great, as far as maintenance is concerned I don't think there should be any issue for another 3-4 years. Till couple of years back Punto was their main car sold here, though numbers were not great.
Another point to note is globally they have sold 9 million Puntos in last 25 years averaging 3.6L per year, not a small number.
Old 31st May 2018, 17:55   #2471
BHPian

Quote:
Basically FCA will stay in India, but will switch tracks to Jeep.

FIAT CRONOS nor TIPO seem viable for India

FCA India does not seem to care to fill the gap that Linea and Punto has left, they are happy selling engines and Jeep. I would be surprised if they do launch the Cronos or Tipo in India or as always showcase the same and then do nothing as they always do

Not sure that FCA India are thinking about but they have always been arrogant in terms of hearing out to the market or even existing customers and keeping the brand alive. Just us loyal fiatians with our machines keep the brand alive.

Quote:
Coming Friday the confirmation of the below is likely to be seen:

- Fiat cars are likely to exit China and North America - where does India stand here, guess will exit too.

I guess FCA pulled the plug on India long time back compared to America or China. It's been an open secret since Punto Pure was launched that FCA India don't intend to do business in India as a manufacture and upgraded their plant to suite more of the Jeep than Fiat.

Last edited by theMAG : 31st May 2018 at 18:06. Reason: Back-back posts merged. Please EDIT moving forward.
Old 1st June 2018, 18:35   #2472
BHPian

Some more reassuring news for Jeep and previous FCA product buyers - indication of an anchor that might take really good hold for the FCA ship in India:

https://www.autocarindia.com/car-new...r-india-408545

This is the segment that really made it for Ford here, IMO. A success for this model would go a long way to reducing FCA flight worries.

Last edited by Mu009 : 1st June 2018 at 18:37. Reason: Grammar
Old 1st June 2018, 19:53   #2473
Distinguished - BHPian

FCA reveals India Strategy through JEEP!

Fiat's India strategy revealed-j2.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-j1.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-j4.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-j5.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-j6.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-j7.jpg

Last edited by volkman10 : 1st June 2018 at 20:15.
volkman10 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 10:43   #2474
Distinguished - BHPian

Like it or not, here is what FCA CEO Sergio Marchionne will reduce the FIAT brand to.

Fiat's future in Europe is small, electric.

Quote:
The space for Fiat in Europe is going to be redefined in a more exclusive area, while confirming the addition of a 500 Giardiniera wagon, the axing of the Punto subcompact and the withdrawal of the Tipo compact from European markets.

Source:
Old 13th July 2018, 12:26   #2475
Distinguished - BHPian

Is this Jeep's Vitara Brezza rival as revealed in the strategy? Spied testing in India.

Will be heavily based on jeep Renegade.

Fiat's India strategy revealed-newjeepcompassrivalmarutiindia3.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-newjeepcompassrivalmarutiindia1.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-newjeepcompassrivalmarutiindia2750x430.jpg

Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 13th July 2018 at 12:27.
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks