Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 22nd November 2018, 10:37   #2491
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed

After a strong start with sales of 2,500+ copies per month, the Compass seems to have dropped to 1100+ copies per month. Once the Harrier is launched we can expect the numbers to enter the 3 digit range. With that kind of volume - its hard to see the brand survive in India.

They need to launch the Automatic Variants across the range for the Compass sales to improve and bring in the Renegade soon to show some type of upward trend.
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:10   #2492
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
After a strong start with sales of 2,500+ copies per month, the Compass seems to have dropped to 1100+ copies per month. Once the Harrier is launched we can expect the numbers to enter the 3 digit range. With that kind of volume - its hard to see the brand survive in India.
Not really! This is not a low margin product like the Punto or Linea.

I think below post from GTO summarises it nicely -

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
There are about 60 unique dealership owners of the Jeep (not counting dealers who have 2 or more outlets). That's an average of 20 / month which is awesome for a 20-lakh product. Of course, those in the larger cities like Landmark will be doing more, while those in smaller cities & towns would be moving 5 - 10 Compass / month (enough to cover costs + make a tidy profit).

Jeep has also promised them more models. Plus, a Diesel AT Compass will easily add another 500 units to the monthly tally (God knows when slow & lethargic FCA India will launch it).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 11:27   #2493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Well if reports are to be believed, Fiat has stopped production of Punto, Linea & other products in their lineup.

SNIP

Source: Rushlane
This is just another rumour floating about, atleast as of now.

Here is a screenshot from an informal conversation between a dealer (AV Motors) and VP Sales of FCA India. (source: WhatsApp)

Fiat's India strategy revealed-b4cc9848be0e41818212af500716f1db.jpeg
DRIV3R is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 13:55   #2494
BHPian

Somehow FCA roadmaps doesn't give you confidence, Likewise (erstwhile FIAPL) FCA had chalked down tall plans to launch cars in quick succession under FIAT badge. Which never kicked off, considering that how we can rely on JEEP's road map. In reference to below image;

I've been ardent devotee of FIAT since Palio days but I don't see much scope here for both FIAT and JEEP, management laden with lackluster and poor strategies to be blamed. Back in 2009 when Linea and Punto were launched, FIAT twins did fairly well in terms of monthly sales figure until 2011. Post that FIAT had nothing great to offer other than rehashing Punto and Linea, by just giving new names Avventura, Urban Cross and Linea Classic do not work in one of the most competitive economy.

Coming to JEEP, they want to capitalize on growing demand of SUV’s in India. What does it mean?? all small cars, premium hatchbacks and sedans are not selling in India?? C’mon FIAT what are you talking about, you already had a platter with delicacies like Punto and Linea, you could have considered ARGO, TIPO, Panda etc. to pace up with the competition.

Any new car launched under a good brand will outsell in initial 1-2 years, the moment brand gets complacent and rely only on one product, which means something is seriously wrong. JEEP needs to come up with “new models” not with new variants, else future is bleak and that day is not far when you doom the way FIAT did.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiatchryslerupcomingproductsindiaapac.jpg  

Last edited by varoon9999 : 22nd November 2018 at 14:04.
varoon9999 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:35   #2495
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoon9999 View Post
Somehow FCA roadmaps doesn't give you confidence, Likewise (erstwhile FIAPL) FCA had chalked down tall plans to launch cars in quick succession under FIAT badge. Which never kicked off, considering that how we can rely on JEEP's road map. In reference to below image;

AT did.
I disagree with the implication that the FCA Maps are bad.

I drove a Jeep Renegade for 12 days in Rural Southern France in Sep-Oct 2018. The maps were absolutely perfect.

Before that, in May-June 2018, I drove an Alfa Romeo for 12 days over a large portion of Italy including a lot of rural bits. The maps in it were absolutely perfect.
Old 22nd November 2018, 19:55   #2496
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I disagree with the implication that the FCA Maps are bad.

I drove a Jeep Renegade for 12 days in Rural Southern France in Sep-Oct 2018. The maps were absolutely perfect.

Before that, in May-June 2018, I drove an Alfa Romeo for 12 days over a large portion of Italy including a lot of rural bits. The maps in it were absolutely perfect.
I sense a misunderstanding here, I believe varoon9999 is referring to Roadmap in terms of the future Strategy for Jeep and not Navigation maps
vsrivatsa is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2018, 20:01   #2497
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsrivatsa View Post
I sense a misunderstanding here, I believe varoon9999 is referring to Roadmap in terms of the future Strategy for Jeep and not Navigation maps
Ha ha
I truly misunderstood. Apologies!
Old 23rd November 2018, 10:14   #2498
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
Ha ha
I truly misunderstood. Apologies!
Ha ha ha at first I thought it was a sarcastic remark to glorify FIAT. Later I realized you misunderstood it, that's perfectly alright.

But I am happy to learn that FIAT cars are equipped well with "Maps" and they actually work.
Old 23rd November 2018, 17:02   #2499
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rampaps View Post
Dear friends,

I purchased a Fiat Avventura on 1-Jan-2016 from Urs Kar, Mysore.

Vehicle number - KA 51 MH 6398
Chassis number - MCA11846D07063909DHZ

I am facing one major problem among other smaller ones.

After crossing small humps, or on a slightly uneven tar road, there is a “dug dug” noise from the front bottom portion of the car. I have reported this 4 times in the last two years when I gave the car for servicing & also reported this in between services! It is still not fixed.

I lodged a complaint with the FIAT call centre few days back. Complaint ID number is 1-6737236801. No response yet.

Is there any Senior person in FIAT India to whom I can escalate this? Kindly let me know.
I had a similar noise from the frony suspension, it was what they called the elastic pads or the rubber mounts. Got them replaced under warranty and noise went away..
Old 7th December 2018, 22:19   #2500
BANNED

Mod Note : Please do NOT post messages that add little or no informational value to the thread. We need your co-operation to maintain the quality of this forum. We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further. Request to post ONLY when you have something substantial to add to a discussion.

Last edited by GTO : 10th December 2018 at 09:56.
rampaps is offline   Received Infraction
Old 7th December 2018, 22:29   #2501
BHPian

Maybe their strategy is to be THE one-trick pony. And intentionally cull all other ponies to remain true to their strategy of being an one-trick pony. And be mighty proud of it in board meetings.

"Dave, You had ONE JOB!!.. "

"And.. you did kinda ok. Good job."
Old 18th December 2018, 13:59   #2502
Distinguished - BHPian

Next-gen Jeep Renegade under consideration for India - Will arrive only in 2022.

As usual seems too late, looking at the declared time frame.

Quote:
the current Renegade – which is, for now, Jeep’s smallest offering in international markets – will not be making its way to India.
Link

Last edited by volkman10 : 18th December 2018 at 14:04.
Old 18th December 2018, 18:37   #2503
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoon9999 View Post
Somehow FCA roadmaps doesn't give you confidence, Likewise (erstwhile FIAPL) FCA had chalked down tall plans to launch cars in quick succession under FIAT badge. Which never kicked off
IMHO publishing such "road maps" should be considered as an act of cheating, at least in the point of view of dealers. Imagine yourself as a prospective Fiat dealer. You walk in for a business chat with the top brass and they give you this picture. Several cars under wraps. You look at the launch date, you sign the deal.

Sort of the guy who once sold acres of land on moon.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th December 2018, 22:26   #2504
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Next-gen Jeep Renegade under consideration for India - Will arrive only in 2022.

As usual seems too late, looking at the declared time frame.
The link also mentions a sub-4m car in 2020 and a 7-seater in 2021. Plus a next-gen (and localized?) Wrangler and the Compass Trailhawk in 2019. If they keep those promises it is more impressive than anything they did with the Fiat brand.
Old 19th December 2018, 01:16   #2505
BHPian

I think 2019 is crucial year. Either sub-4 meter or 7 seater should be declared in first half and launched before Diwali 2019. This is mainly from the point of view of dealers and customers. If these two are not possible then at least localised Wrangler or Renegade should see the day of light in India, if they want people to believe that this time they are serious. Else I fear Fiat story may repeat.

Most Viewed