Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 11:34   #421
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Completely agree with 1100D on the issue of sluggish variants offered. Since they made tall claims of saying "We will cater to the enthusiast segment of Indian car buyers" and so on, they need to get their act together and put a line-up which should cater to the enthusiasts, and start bringing in newer technologies into Indian variants - things like MultiAir, Dualogic, etc.

Last but not the least, what is required is a truckload of marketing and advertising effort. Most of their ads are either stupid, or don't focus on the USPs of the vehicles, or both.

Quoting myself from what I posted 2 pages back, I would like to see a lineup building up like this (nothing wrong in wishing ) :

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
My variant line-up would be something like this, if I were to design it :

Punto petrol :
Active, Dynamic - 1.4 Fire (89 BHP)
Emotion - choice of 1.4 Fire 89HP or 1.4 T-Jet 114HP
Sport (petrol option) - 1.4 T-Jet (114HP) with 'sporty' bells and whistles like decals, sport pedals, blah blah
Abarth SuperSport version - 1.4 T-Jet (180HP)
* get rid of 1.2 engine option

Punto Diesel :
Active, Dynamic - 1.3 MultiJet 75HP
Emotion - choice of 1.3 MultiJet 75HP or 90HP
Sport (diesel) - 1.6 MultiJet 120HP

Linea Petrol :
Active, Dynamic - 1.4 T-Jet (114 HP)
Emotion (or T-Jet+) - choice of 1.4 T-Jet 114HP or 155 HP
* get rid of 90PS Fire engine from Linea completely.

Linea Diesel :
Active, Dynamic - 1.3 MultiJet 90HP
Emotion - choice of 1.3 MultiJet 90HP or 1.6 MultiJet 120HP

choice of Dualogic automatic boxes on all of the top-end variants would be welcome too

Last edited by KarthikK : 5th April 2013 at 11:36.
Old 5th April 2013, 15:25   #422
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
OK Guys, here are the pics my cousin got from the Stockyard of the first batch "Re-worked Punto"

Its looking like an aged car. If I compare with that picture my 3 year old BNW punto looks better. Hope this is due to image quality. But coming to the so called refreshed avatar its the same old wine that too in a old bottle. I was expecting much more.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 5th April 2013 at 16:25. Reason: I had quoted Vik0728 on this post. But the quoted text is not coming in a box
Old 5th April 2013, 16:18   #423
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

I think... the colour of the wheels is not because of brake dust. It looks like the alloy wheels have got a gun metal finish to it or am I trying to be bit too optimistic here?

Why would the rear wheels have the brake dust!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
OK Guys, here are the pics my cousin got from the Stockyard of the first batch "Re-worked Punto" !!
Old 5th April 2013, 20:30   #424
BANNED

Always wondered whether FIAT stood for Fails in India All the Time.

I don't wonder anymore, this last move confirms that they always will.
Old 5th April 2013, 22:57   #425
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeyronSuperSprt View Post
Always wondered whether FIAT stood for Fails in India All the Time.

I don't wonder anymore, this last move confirms that they always will.
Come to think of it, I remember my dad saying FIAT = First In Automobile Technology. I hope they find success soon.
Old 6th April 2013, 02:55   #426
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
I think... the colour of the wheels is not because of brake dust. It looks like the alloy wheels have got a gun metal finish to it or am I trying to be bit too optimistic here?

Why would the rear wheels have the brake dust!?
True, but it looks like a dusty version of the old alloys, and hence the above remarks.
Old 6th April 2013, 10:43   #427
BHPian

If these are the new 2013 models, I think that angry mobs are going to chase Fiat with pitchforks and torches soon.
Fiat lovers (and the 24% enthusiast community) have a lot of expectations from this resurrection.

Does anyone have any sort of information on the next generation Punto / Linea? Any spotted test mules or what platforms will be used? Considering they are not too far from launch (early 2014), extensive testing should be on.
Old 8th April 2013, 09:04   #428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Expanding the network to tier-2 cities is something I would have liked to be done long ago. Not sure why they waited so long to do this. It will only dent their image in all non-metro locations too.
Moved that discussion here. I cant comment with surety. But today Fiat has almost no sales in Tier-II cities. That I think cant be improved outright, even with new outlets in these cities. They can only start to help gain traction and slowly build up the momentum. The new products are also more on the higher end of the spectrum.

Thats the reason I said I am not sure. Because I think opening new outlets in Tier-II would not increase sales in a big way, but they are still needed for momentum and branding. That may be one of the reasons why they may have not started it long ago.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 09:31   #429
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Moved that discussion here. I cant comment with surety. But today Fiat has almost no sales in Tier-II cities. That I think cant be improved outright, even with new outlets in these cities. They can only start to help gain traction and slowly build up the momentum. The new products are also more on the higher end of the spectrum.

Thats the reason I said I am not sure. Because I think opening new outlets in Tier-II would not increase sales in a big way, but they are still needed for momentum and branding. That may be one of the reasons why they may have not started it long ago.
They are working on it. From what I have heard the dealerships are coming in a month or two in Hubli and Belgaum. So similarly a few more dealerships would definitely open by the end of this year. Until then the reach is quite less and the pressure on current dealerships that have opened to make numbers will be immense.
Old 8th April 2013, 13:53   #430
Senior - BHPian

Just to update everyone , spoke to someone in one of the dealerships in Delhi today whom i have a decent relationship with - the announcement of the new Linea including the t-jet is expected between the 10-15th sometime , cars for display and test drives expected by the first week of May but bookings will open as soon as the announcement is made. Updates to the website expected by 15th of April.
puchoo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th April 2013, 16:47   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Just to update everyone , spoke to someone in one of the dealerships in Delhi today whom i have a decent relationship with - the announcement of the new Linea including the t-jet is expected between the 10-15th sometime , cars for display and test drives expected by the first week of May but bookings will open as soon as the announcement is made. Updates to the website expected by 15th of April.
Quite possible bcoz as per close source even i got to know yesterday that the 1 april deadline although met for split with tata but since some dealerships were not ready so its postponed to 10th april when fiat would officially announce it and create media hype
Old 8th April 2013, 17:43   #432
BHPian

I am counting days for the Abarth remap to be made available for the MJD. I would have gone with Pete's a while go but then Abarth news kicked in.
Old 8th April 2013, 17:57   #433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
I am counting days for the Abarth remap to be made available for the MJD. I would have gone with Pete's a while go but then Abarth news kicked in.
Don't be too serious about it, that remap may not see the day light in 2013.... Abrath model itself is scheduled to come in the later half of the year, and if they want to sell few, I am sure they will hold releasing the kit for MJD puntos.
Old 8th April 2013, 19:37   #434
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedaltothefloor View Post
Firstly Abarth does not have a diesel in its forte to introduce remaps here. So the question of getting remaps is out of the window.

May be a few body kits would be made available like pedals, skirts, stickers alloys etc.
Old 8th April 2013, 20:57   #435
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat Press Meet on 10, Expect Refreshed Punto & Linea Launches.

http://motorbash.com/official-fiat-p...inea-launches/

Most Viewed