Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th March 2014, 17:35   #1156
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by karan561 View Post
Being a ex Punto owner i feel sad to see such a beautiful car being forcefully trying to look like a SUV/Cross over
Cant agree more. Whats worse, its still coming with the same old tired 1.3L engine.

What is unfortunate is that - it is a technology Fiat had for a long time. They delayed brining a 1.6LD engine they had by many years. In the meanwhile Honda created a new engine, bought it in India and is laughing all the way to the bank!

Half measures wont do. They have a Tjet - but to really get marketshare they need a good diesel engine. Most Fiat customers are enthusiasts and i am sure they will respond positively to a good 1.6L, 120bhp engine for Linea and the crossover.
SkyWalker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 21:36   #1157

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Since the Avventura's gear lever sports 6 gears i'm assuming it'll come with the 1.6. Otherwise, it'll be a disaster for sure. Fiat has already made a mistake by not plonking the 1.6 into the new Linea. Most competitors have 100bhp+.
Old 16th March 2014, 21:53   #1158
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigel92 View Post
Since the Avventura's gear lever sports 6 gears i'm assuming it'll come with the 1.6. Otherwise, it'll be a disaster for sure. Fiat has already made a mistake by not plonking the 1.6 into the new Linea. Most competitors have 100bhp+.
Can't be true. If they are lazy to bring 1.6L MJD in the Linea, will they take effort to bring it in the Avventura?
Avventura will come with the same 1.3L MJD 90HP, I strongly feel.
Old 16th March 2014, 22:18   #1159
Senior - BHPian

If Avventura features the 1.6L MJD, it will lose the excise duty benefits available to cars less than 4m in length and Fiat will not be able to price the Avventura well. If the new Linea had featured the 1.6L MJD, we could've hoped for atleast a top-end diesel Avventura with that engine. Since Fiat has not brought the engine in the Linea (their most expensive car in the market as of now), I'm quite sure the engine is not going to debut in the Avventura either.
StarrySky is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th March 2014, 23:27   #1160
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the Avventura's headlight design an absolute rip-off from the Kia Cee'd ?
Fiat's India strategy revealed-avventura.jpg

Anyway, hope it comes with the 6-speed 112bhp 1.4 T-Jet engine. IMHO, I don't crave for the 1.6mjd. Petrols are back. Also, it may help to keep the prices at somewhat affordable levels.

Off late a few of my friends too who aren't "car people" (so to speak - the kind who don't really look much ahead of the 'brand'!) are recognising an increased number of Palio's in Bangalore. They appreciated that the cars must be well built and even the company still supports their prev-gen cars.

So, hope FIAT finds ways to keep ownership costs low. The more people see the old (Pre 2014) Linea's and Punto's, the more FIAT will be commended for its build quality! Whatsay?

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 16th March 2014 at 23:30.
GrammarNazi is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 12:21   #1161
BHPian

any idea when 500 abarth is launching or which month ?
Old 17th March 2014, 17:54   #1162
BHPian

I had mentioned this before, FIAT should have started working on a 1.5MJD long back specifically for India. Since they already have a 1.6, shouldn't be much work to make it a 1.5. It would have benefited them a lot. If a 1.3MJD with a VGT puts out 90hp, a 1.5 with VGT should give out atleast 110 to 115 hp.

Last edited by nim_peter : 17th March 2014 at 17:55.
nim_peter is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 18:40   #1163
Team-BHP Support

Fiat is looking to start assembly of its Abarth brand in India in 2015. At present, the company has two models that sport the Abarth treatment - 500 and Punto. It is not yet clear which of these models will be assembled in the country.

Link to Team-BHP News Article
Aditya is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2014, 23:04   #1164
BHPian

From the information I had from dealership is 500 Abarth may be launched towards the end of this year. Fiat cafe got the display 500 Abarth imported from Australia. The price may hover around 19 L, and they are planning to market it as niche since there is no sports car available at that price range.

Again this news should be taken with a pinch of salt since I do not rate Fiat dealership informationally richer than us.

I am waiting for the kit which can be bolt on my T-Jet. I am engine braking and elongating the life of my brake pads only because I want it replace it with Abarth's.
Old 18th March 2014, 03:25   #1165
BHPian

It would've been great if the new Punto had come with a 1.4 T-Jet(Sport variant). That would have made it a complete driver's car. The only area where the Indian Punto lacks for the driver is the engine. The T-Jet would have fixed that up. Too bad :(

Guess, I should start hoping that the Bolt with the 1.2T turns out to be an acceptable driver's package.
Old 18th March 2014, 07:27   #1166
Senior - BHPian

Just wondering, does Fiat have a turbocharged 1.2 litre engine?

A 95-100 Bhp 1.2 litre Punto, may not be as explosive as the TJet, but better than the 1.4 litre NA one and the excise duty benefits may enable them to price it at par with it. Then probably do away with 1.4 NA engine for the Punto.
Old 18th March 2014, 08:28   #1167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
Just wondering, does Fiat have a turbocharged 1.2 litre engine?

A 95-100 Bhp 1.2 litre Punto, may not be as explosive as the TJet, but better than the 1.4 litre NA one and the excise duty benefits may enable them to price it at par with it. Then probably do away with 1.4 NA engine for the Punto.
No. The engine smaller than 1.4 is the 875cc MultiAir. But that's pretty much ruled out for India, because it is not suitable for bumper to bumper traffic.

It may not be feasible to turbocharge the 8 valved 1.2 NA engine.

Fiat should seriously consider a 3 cylinder variant of 1.4 TJet.
Old 18th March 2014, 09:06   #1168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
No. The engine smaller than 1.4 is the 875cc MultiAir. But that's pretty much ruled out for India, because it is not suitable for bumper to bumper traffic.

It may not be feasible to turbocharge the 8 valved 1.2 NA engine.
I cant understand why a small engine would not be suitable for bumper to bumper traffic, is there something that I am missing here?

Also, a 1.2L NA engine with 8 valves can perfectly be turbocharged! Just take a look at the recently unveiled Tata Revotron engine

Can Fiat look at sourcing that from Tata? Now that they don't share showrooms anymore, Tata could do at least this much in return for getting the MJD and its transmission from Fiat.
Old 18th March 2014, 09:52   #1169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I cant understand why a small engine would not be suitable for bumper to bumper traffic, is there something that I am missing here?
I had read somewhere that the torque produced by this engine at low RPMs is quite low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
Also, a 1.2L NA engine with 8 valves can perfectly be turbocharged! Just take a look at the recently unveiled Tata Revotron engine
Apologies. I meant, economically feasible. I mentioned 8v, just to compare it with the 16v 1.4.

For Europe or Australia or Africa, 1.4 Tjet is good enough. So, money spent on the research and development of 1.2 Tjet can only be recovered from India. But how many 1.2 Tjet Puntos should Fiat sell every month to make this R&D viable?
Old 18th March 2014, 10:00   #1170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
For Europe or Australia or Africa, 1.4 Tjet is good enough. So, money spent on the research and development of 1.2 Tjet can only be recovered from India. But how many 1.2 Tjet Puntos should Fiat sell every month to make this R&D viable?
Good point, no where else does the Punto 'need' a turbo charged 1.2L engine, as the 1.4 T-Jet is already doing duty pretty well. And developing one for India alone, makes little business sense... Unless they are developing a 1.2L diesel engine, as every other car maker will buy it from Fiat, making it very easy to recover costs

But Fiat can actually look at getting the Tata Revotron under the face-lifted Punto's hood, will certainly do better justice than the 1.2L FIRE engine can ever dream of.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks