Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th April 2014, 16:47   #1246
BHPian

Can fiat bring the punto with a better gear box which can match the performance of the swift. I have heard that the 1.3 litre 75bhp European deisel punto had better acceleration than Indian ones.
Old 18th April 2014, 17:57   #1247
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Here is the biggest scoop of all (as far as Fiat is concerned):
http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/fiat-5...ikely-in-2015/

Fiat 500L spotted on test in India!
And the car is right-hand drive too.
Now this is something that might get some footfalls in the Fiat showrooms. IF they do actually launch it here.

Doblo is no go. Won't be a patch against the trusty and practical Japs.

Edit: Just went through the article. Now I'm sure this is not going to be launched here. In Mini territory, it simply doesn't stand a chance.
They must be testing engines then? Or the hot, humid and chaotic Indian conditions?

Last edited by one-77 : 18th April 2014 at 18:03.
Old 18th April 2014, 18:21   #1248
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
Now this is something that might get some footfalls in the Fiat showrooms. IF they do actually launch it here.

Doblo is no go. Won't be a patch against the trusty and practical Japs.

Edit: Just went through the article. Now I'm sure this is not going to be launched here. In Mini territory, it simply doesn't stand a chance.
They must be testing engines then? Or the hot, humid and chaotic Indian conditions?
The news about the 500L being tested here is great to hear whether it is just a mule to test the 1.6 MJD diesel and/or a mule to test the Jeep Renegade's Indian underpinnings and/or for launch in some version in India with Indian costing and localization.

I suspect it is all three! That is if one bases one's guesswork on the longterm perspective plan Fiat India revealed last year.

Remember: the 500L shares its platform and engines with the Jeep Renegade and the 500X. It has a staggeringly spacious and flexible interior volume, distinctive albeit cute-sy styling especially inside. We'll have to wait a while for this/these cars to enter here, because Fiat will be busy tuning its dealers/ASS and marketing through the launch of the new linea, punto, avventura, abarth, and the Jeep launch is delayed. 2 years at least, I am afraid.

The Doblo: it is a bestselling MUV, based on the Punto platform. There is only one "trusty and practical Jap" in the full-size MUV market: the Innova, which now costs around Rs 15lakh. There is therefore room for the likes of the Doblo. But: ongoing improvements in dealers/ASS reputation have a fair bit longer to run, first.

Last edited by desdemona : 18th April 2014 at 18:29. Reason: Incomplete
Old 18th April 2014, 21:47   #1249
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireblade007 View Post
Can fiat bring the punto with a better gear box which can match the performance of the swift. I have heard that the 1.3 litre 75bhp European deisel punto had better acceleration than Indian ones.
I drove one of those recently and, yes, you can easily accelerate to pass even when close to 130 km/h (the speed limit on autostradas in Italy) -- I can't do that with my 1.2l petrol Punto in India. And excellent fuel economy even at those speeds. I suspect it is tuned to higher-quality diesel in Europe, and in India they tune it to be trouble-free with the poorer quality fuel.
rsidd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 11:56   #1250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanksta View Post
I'm eagerly awaiting the launch of the new Punto hopefully there is T-Jet version. I think Fiat seriously has to concentrate on marketing the beauty of their cars I mean I have friends here who say the Punto and Linea are ugly cars I mean seriously come on I understand people can have their own opinion but calling it uglier than the Sail-UVA and Ritz(which are decent looking cars) is blasphemy. People have got so used to seeing plain Jane design's by Maruti and the likes of it, that they think these two Fiats are revolting to look at. Fiat if you're reading this do something about it.
MODS: Sorry just venting out, cannot stand it being a true petrol-head. Feel free to remove this post.
1. How can someone call it revolting I mean looks are subjective but The Linea initially was only known for its beauty... till the Tjet came along!!

2. even i agree about the tjet version of punto , however very few sales figures for the volkswagen GT Tdi (even though it wasnt meant for the masses but volkswagen could afford the venture)

3. Lets see if they put the Tjet in the Aventurra , even though Fiat claims
the hatch doesnt require a Tjet !!

4. FIAT does have serious problem with marketing, they have not yet figured out how to show off there products. The new linea ad is an example, they need to target the happy family audience rather than the single man driving. Look at the Xcent ad !!

regards.
Old 22nd April 2014, 13:34   #1251
BHPian

I googled for Avventura on internet and found this article in one of Nepalese paper "Himalayan Times" . They claim the Avventura to be releasing in September in Nepal.

Link to the article

KATHMANDU: Batas Brothers Motors, authorised distributor of Fiat is all set to introduce its ambitious models — new Punto (hatchback) and Avventura (crossover utility vehicles) in the Nepali market. These two models in both petrol and diesel version are expected to launch by the middle of September. The tentative price of new Punto is Rs 2.5 million to Rs 3.2 million while that of Avventura is Rs four million to Rs 4.5 milion.

“Punto has been selling like hotcakes all over the Europe and we are confident that this hatchback will be also popular among Nepali customers,” said Devshwarup, director at the company, adding that they aim to sell altogether 500 units of these four-wheelers within the first year. “The most exciting fact about this hatchback is its stylish looks, which people can never get bored looking at,” he said, adding that the car has won several awards. According to him, the hatchback comes in three variants — active, dynamic and emotion. Meanwhile, he informed, “The Avventura has been manufactured with a lot of focus which makes it look good and perform well.” According to him, the CUV has derived some of the interiors features from hatchback Punto. “The cockpit section of the CUV is the most attractive part of the interiors due to its stylish instrument cluster and central console,” said Shwarup added.

Punto’s innovative style include powerful automatic air conditioning and follow-me headlamps. It has double foldable rear seat for optimisation with 60:40 split. It has tilt adjustable power steering and power windows with delay and auto down function. This hatchback has given a lot importance to safety and security. It features crumple zones, collapsible steering column, and high tensile steel frame.

It also includes three adjustable headrests, anti-theft engine mobiliser with rolling code that prevents the engine from starting if the correct keys are not in use. The hatchback comes in colours like — oceanic blue, hip-hop black, tuscan wine, minimal grey, new pearl white and exotica red.

For comfort and convenience, both these hatchbacks and CUV are equipped with glove box unit, music system, rear AC vents, front centre armrest, vanity mirrors, sun visors and map pockets. As for the safety and security measure, the CUV provides anti-lock braking system with electronic brake, air bags, side impact protection, central locking system, engine immobiliser system, dual horn, seat belts, door ajar warning, and seat belt reminder.
vikrantj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd April 2014, 19:48   #1252
Senior - BHPian

Just saw a trendy commercial of Punto mentioning GC and other stuff, albeit its the same Punto available now. FIAT created a new commercial just to tell there are ' exciting offers ' available on Punto.
Seems the launch of next gen is near.
Old 23rd April 2014, 22:17   #1253
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fz_rider View Post
Just saw a trendy commercial of Punto mentioning GC and other stuff, albeit its the same Punto available now.
Note the new and what looks like a sixteen inch alloy wheel. Could be just for the television commercial. Will be exciting if that alloy wheel does make it to production cars.

Last edited by sandeepmohan : 23rd April 2014 at 22:18.
Old 24th April 2014, 09:28   #1254
Senior - BHPian

Fiat may just be conjuring to pull a proverbial rabbit out of its hat. L'il Birdie in the know says that the Italian is thinking of a new way to make its mark in the indian car market.

1. Downsize 1.6 MJD to 1.5 Litre. This will be done simply by shortening the stroke and no other changes to the engine. This will ensure fastest time to market at minimum cost with marginal loss in power / torque outputs (compared to 1.6 MJD) and yet qualify for the small car diesel norms (which stipulates the upper limit for small car diesels cannot exceed 1500cc). Also it will provide a worthwhile alternative to the 1.3 MJD currently being used. The 1.3 MJD can then be sold only in FGT guise (i.e. 74-75 Ps state of tune). So the Punto and the Avventura will get the much needed "go" to match their gorgeous "show". Mating of dual clutch auto tranny may also see the light of day.

2. The 1.4 L T-Jet is also being explored for downsizing to 1.2 L Turbo petrol. Again, this is being contemplated by simply shortening the stroke, leaving other aggregates untouched. Target in sight is to match or slightly exceed the POLO TSi figures, so a 104-105Ps and 175-180Nm , power and torque figures look realistic. Also on the cards is to mate Fiat's 7-speed dual clutch tranny to the downsized 1.2 L T-Jet, thus taking the fight fair and square to its German competitor. The 1.2 L T-Jet is being considered for Avventura and Punto.

It looks like Fiat has finally shaken off its stupor and coming to life, and hopefully if these come through, at least, we motor-heads may be experiencing some nice cars soon!
arjab is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 13:20   #1255
Senior - BHPian

^^^Downsizing the T Jet is not something I want Fiat to do. I don't know if its worth the effort. It is much easier to offer the engine as is. Both the cars will benefit from the additional power and torque.

I say the same for the diesel. Why meddle with something that is already proven.

The dual clutch transmission will be great to have.
Old 24th April 2014, 16:29   #1256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjab View Post
Fiat may just be conjuring to pull a proverbial rabbit out of its hat. L'il Birdie in the know says that the Italian is thinking of a new way to make its mark in the indian car market.

1. Downsize 1.6 MJD to 1.5 Litre..... This will ensure fastest time to market at minimum cost with marginal loss in power / torque outputs (compared to 1.6 MJD) and yet qualify for the small car diesel norms So the Punto and the Avventura will get the much needed "go" to match their gorgeous "show". Mating of dual clutch auto tranny may also see the light of day.

2. The 1.4 L T-Jet is also being explored for downsizing to 1.2 L Turbo petrol. Also on the cards is to mate Fiat's 7-speed dual clutch tranny to the downsized 1.2 L T-Jet, thus taking the fight fair and square to its German competitor. The 1.2 L T-Jet is being considered for Avventura and Punto.
I don't know about how 'little' the fiat 'birdie' is but: this sounds very good, provided they're going to implement it this year itself, when they launch the new punto and the avventura.

Fiat has long come out of its 'stupor', it is already walking steadily on the 'road to success'. With this kind of rumour getting real-ized maybe fiat will soon be jogging. And when Jeep is here (next year?) ....ah, but we get ahead of ourselves. Let us wait and see.
Old 24th April 2014, 19:38   #1257
BHPian

Looks like the new punto has been spotted again near ARAI, Pune!
So, I think the launch is pretty close!

Source and photo: http://www.motoroids.com/news/yet-an...t-image-pours/
Old 25th April 2014, 02:07   #1258
BHPian

Just speculating!

Doesn't the repeated sighting of test punto-s and avventura-s over many weeks now suggest that there is more being tested than merely new bumpers, grills and dashboard?

It maybe that these two rumoured engines, the 1.2 t-jet and the 1.5 mjd, are also being tested, already. In which case one or both could get deployed pretty soon on the new punto (june), the avventura (october) and/or the new linea. And, in the case of the 1.5 version of the mjd, on the upcoming Maruti Suzuki Ciaz?

Of course, fiat can hardly be said to be quick-footed. Though they are getting better. So perhaps the speculation is plausible? I don't, however, find the bit about the dual-clutch transmission at all believable because of difficult costing/pricing. Maybe the dualogic single-clutch AMT?

They surely do need these two engines if they want truly respectable sales numbers in this tough, unforgiving market.
Old 28th April 2014, 11:58   #1259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantj View Post
I googled for Avventura on internet and found this article in one of Nepalese paper "Himalayan Times" . They claim the Avventura to be releasing in September in Nepal.
If the vehicle's being launched in Sep14 in Nepal... IMO it will be launched earlier by 2-3 month in India. This means June or July could be montyh of some new releases by Fiat India.
Old 29th April 2014, 08:04   #1260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
If the vehicle's being launched in Sep14 in Nepal... IMO it will be launched earlier by 2-3 month in India. This means June or July could be montyh of some new releases by Fiat India.
June has been sounded out for the launch of Punto refresh
Rumour has it that this will include the Tjet,though not sure if it will be a direct lift from the Linea
this also fits in with the fact that Punto is seen at ARAI

unless they managed to bring the Avventura to ARAI as a disguised Punto which is not that difficult to do really!
Considering the steady increase in diesel prices a Tjet Avventura may actually be the way to go

I also spotted an ad for offers on the Punto on the telly over the weekend. But it disappeared before I could register anything. Maybe they are trying to clear existing stocks for the June launch
selfdrive is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks