Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2014, 09:35   #1321
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

I found this article on Economic Times:
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/34990304.cms

An image from the same article:
Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiat.jpg

Last edited by rohanjf : 12th May 2014 at 09:36.
Old 12th May 2014, 10:47   #1322
BANNED

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Globally too, Fiat-Chrysler's ambitious plans are attracting skepticism. In particular, they want to grow Alfa Romeo globally, from nothing in the US to an Audi competitor. I wonder why they can't do that in India, where people already pay insane prices for Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar? Alfa Romeo, Lancia, Maserati cars are beautiful-looking machines, and visually very different from anything on the Indian market now. They would make more sense in India than the Abarth 500 which will only appeal to a few hard-core enthusiasts -- most people in India who have that kind of money to throw around will want large cars from "luxury" brands. Fiat should market style and flair to the moneyed crowd.
Old 12th May 2014, 12:31   #1323
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
In particular, they want to grow Alfa Romeo globally, from nothing in the US to an Audi competitor. I wonder why they can't do that in India, where people already pay insane prices for Audi/BMW/Mercedes/Jaguar?
I think I know the answer
At the moment, there aren't suitable cars in the Alfa Romeo lineup to launch in India. Such large hatchbacks as Giulietta have virtually no market if they come from an unknown brand. MiTo is too small to build the brand. The 4C could come here. But once it builds the brand name, there is no other India-relevant product to strengthen the brand.

As you would have observed already, all the luxury players in India came with sedans first (because most Indians think that sedans are elegant). Only after establishing themselves as "luxury" brands, Mercedes Benz and BMW finally launched their hatchbacks. Audi still has no plans for hatchbacks in India.

What I am saying is, Alfa Romeo would need a sedan to follow the 4C. As far as I know, Giulia is still not in production in Europe.

Comparing Mercedes and BMW cases, Alfa Romeo should logically follow:
- 4C for brand building
- Entry level luxury sedan to strengthen the brand
- Entry level luxury SUV to give the brand a further push (rebadged 500X/Renegade?)

That probably is going to take another 10 years, no?
rohanjf is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 13:53   #1324
Senior - BHPian

New Fiat Punto will be something like this :

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/05/f...-render-130038

Looking smashing IMHO. I quite liked it. Front looks fresh & smashing. Interiors are similar like new Linea, so its also very good in terms of looks & quality. Hope it will do well in the market.
aniketi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 12th May 2014, 14:22   #1325
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by aniketi View Post
New Fiat Punto will be something like this :

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/05/f...-render-130038

Looking smashing IMHO. I quite liked it. Front looks fresh & smashing.
Makes it look even more Maserati-like. Definitely better than Punto Evo, probably better than Punto 2012. I'm not sure I like the headlamps, however.
Old 12th May 2014, 17:46   #1326
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Comparing Mercedes and BMW cases, Alfa Romeo should logically follow:
- 4C for brand building
- Entry level luxury sedan to strengthen the brand
- Entry level luxury SUV to give the brand a further push (rebadged 500X/Renegade?)

That probably is going to take another 10 years, no?
I guess the target markets for the new Alfas, which will all be ready by 2018, are Europe, the US and China. Alfa is a much more storied, Eurocentric and historic brand even than Mercedes and Jaguar, let alone BMW and Audi.The brand will travel poorly to markets like India, which are less open to its stories and history. Fiat is right to target the luxury end of the Indian market with Jeep suv-s, staring next year. But eventually, one hopes for the strong entry of the new Alfas, and for more maseratis too.
Old 12th May 2014, 21:15   #1327
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
At the moment, there aren't suitable cars in the Alfa Romeo lineup to launch in India. Such large hatchbacks as Giulietta have virtually no market if they come from an unknown brand. MiTo is too small to build the brand. The 4C could come here. But once it builds the brand name, there is no other India-relevant product to strengthen the brand.
Well, true, but I also mentioned Lancia and Maserati. I did see sedan-type Alfa Romeos in Italy recently, didn't realise they are not in production. Lancia is almost as common as Fiat there, meanwhile, in particular the Lancia Ypsilon is as common as the Punto (or maybe I just noticed it as often) -- being a relatively expensive hatchback that would probably be unsuitable for India, but I don't see why the sedans wouldn't work. For performance cars, I would think Maserati would be a better choice than Abarth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
I guess the target markets for the new Alfas, which will all be ready by 2018, are Europe, the US and China. Alfa is a much more storied, Eurocentric and historic brand even than Mercedes and Jaguar, let alone BMW and Audi.The brand will travel poorly to markets like India, which are less open to its stories and history. Fiat is right to target the luxury end of the Indian market with Jeep suv-s, staring next year. But eventually, one hopes for the strong entry of the new Alfas, and for more maseratis too.
No arguing about the appropriateness of Jeep. I was just puzzled by their pushing Abarth-500, given that Fiat-500 bombed (and Volkswagen Beetle didn't do great either). I doubt even Abarth Punto will find much of a market. Even if it's just for building brand image, will it translate into sales for other models?
Old 12th May 2014, 22:20   #1328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
No arguing about the appropriateness of Jeep. I was just puzzled by their pushing Abarth-500, given that Fiat-500 bombed (and Volkswagen Beetle didn't do great either). I doubt even Abarth Punto will find much of a market. Even if it's just for building brand image, will it translate into sales for other models?
I suspect the Abarth Punto will have a very tempting price, being india-made, including the engines, transmissions and suspensions, with just the Abarth kit imported. Well below 10 lakhs for the t-jet tuned to at least 120 bhp?

I am not in the market for such a vehicle, and will never be because I regard such speed and torque (even though I've just bought a Linea t-jet) more than a bit obscene in India.

I bet, though, that they'll shift at least as many as VW will manage with the polo tsi and gtd. It's a low cost way to sex-up the brand for the longer run.

But you are right: they, Euro-style super-hot hatches, won't sell much given our market's obsession with size, a boot, and beefiness.
Old 13th May 2014, 09:29   #1329
Senior - BHPian

Fiat Avventura caught testing:

Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiatavventurarearspyshot.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiatavventurafrontspyshot.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiatavventurasidespyshot.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiatavventurawheelspyshot.jpg

Source: Here and photos courtesy TeamFiat.
_raVan_ is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 10:39   #1330
Senior - BHPian

I think Fiat have already killed the Avventura by giving the Punto refresh the same face. Now the Avventura will just be a Punto with a boot mounted spare. The Punto I'm sure will come with 195 mm ground clearance anyway, so the extra 5mm on the Avventura won't really make a big difference. From these latest pictures, it looks like even the projector setup won't make it to all variants.

I really hope they differentiate between the two, otherwise it will go the Polo Cross / Etios Cross way.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 11:34   #1331
BHPian

I wonder why the secrecy when they have already launched the Avventura? Are there any changes in the production model?

Fiat has been delaying the launch of Punto and Avventura for too long. Looks like they will be left testing the product when others will be laughing their way to the bank.

Please wake up Fiat!!!!
Old 13th May 2014, 15:45   #1332
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post
I wonder why the secrecy when they have already launched the Avventura? Are there any changes in the production model?

Fiat has been delaying the launch of Punto and Avventura for too long. Looks like they will be left testing the product when others will be laughing their way to the bank.
No one in this market is 'laughing' let alone 'to the bank', except Hyundai.

Hopefully they are testing out new engine(s) too: a 1.2 T-jet? Maybe the Dualogic AMT gearbox? Maybe, if we want to engage in a wish-fulfilling fantasy, the dual-clutch DDCT transmission?

The Avventura front and rear bumpers will have a sculpted dark grey cladding, and will not be entirely body coloured, while the Punto-s will have body coloured bumpers, and a cladding-less front and rear bumper.

They are launching the new Punto in a month's time. So, they are right to wait till say October before they launch the Avventura.
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 16:01   #1333
BANNED

Also, only a few months ago Fiat India was reported to be profitable on the back of diesel engine sales and exports to China. They are planning for a car market that they think will grow to surpass Japan over the next several years. If they get the products and support right (which is what they are trying to do right now), the sales will come.
rsidd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th May 2014, 17:42   #1334
BHPian

@desdemona - If Fiat wait till October for Avventura they may be too late in my opinion. They have already showcased the car at Autoexpo and created a demand. If they are so slow people will get tired of waiting and move onto some one else. Looking at the popularity of Ecosport, this would be a right time to launch Avventura.
Palio_2005 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2014, 16:58   #1335
Senior - BHPian

Err.. which one is it ? Launched or Delayed !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palio_2005 View Post

Please wake up Fiat!!!!
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks