Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2014, 14:05   #1396
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by deoelect View Post
The perennial question - He was not aware about the engine options on the Avventura and said that even the dealerships haven't been communicated about them yet.
The Avventura is still undergoing road test and the production variant has not yet been decided, how do you hope the SA to know all the details. The dealer's mechanic gets to know the details only when they are called for training at the factory before the product launch.
Old 28th May 2014, 14:43   #1397
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
The Avventura is still undergoing road test and the production variant has not yet been decided, how do you hope the SA to know all the details.
Well the SA was very enthusiastic about the Avventura and was explaining about the 'SUV' characteristics of the vehicle and how different it is as compared to the Punto. So thought to confirm in case he has been communicated about the engine options so that some substance can be added to the speculations doing rounds
Old 29th May 2014, 12:33   #1398
BHPian

Wow my first post hard to believe. I feel Avventura definitely holds an edge over Etios Cross & Polo Cross simply because of a) higher ground clearance b) bigger tyres c) tail mounted spare wheel (does not matter if it looks awkward, we Indians will fall for it am sure) & d) Pricing, do believe that Fiat is going to price it sensibly.

Avventura can be a bridge between hatchbacks & compact suvs like EcoSport.
rahul412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 14:47   #1399
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
Wow my first post hard to believe. I feel Avventura definitely holds an edge over Etios Cross & Polo Cross simply because of a) higher ground clearance b) bigger tyres c) tail mounted spare wheel (does not matter if it looks awkward, we Indians will fall for it am sure) & d) Pricing, do believe that Fiat is going to price it sensibly.

Avventura can be a bridge between hatchbacks & compact suvs like EcoSport.
Hi Rahul. Welcome.

The Ecosport IS a hatchback, a version of the brilliant Ford Fiesta. The Avventura will be roomier in the rear, will have big wide tyres, and 190-200mm GC. Plus a 90hp diesel and a famously tough suspension. And much better interior design and materials (if the dashboard's the same as in the new Linea).

That makes it a pretty convincing faux-SUV, methinks. And, yes: that 'italian' style/detailing! What's not to like, if you are young and want to er showoff a bit?!
Old 29th May 2014, 15:15   #1400
BHPian

Hi Desdemona, thanks. Couldnt agree with you more, Avventura can really turn things around for Fiat India & it does not have to be as successful as EcoSport to do that (a consistent monthly sales of ~2000 units will do). It will mostly be bought by urban youth & yes if you want to impress your girl then Avventura is the choice .
rahul412 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 15:18   #1401
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
...The Ecosport IS a hatchback, a version of the brilliant Ford Fiesta. The Avventura will be roomier in the rear,..
Avventura roomier than an Ecosport in the rear? Unless they stretch the Punto dimensions, it would NOT be! Since the Ecosport has a taller sitting position, it can accommodate two 5'11" guys in the front & back easily.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 29th May 2014 at 15:19.
swiftnfurious is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 15:47   #1402
BANNED

Since the length is no different, unless they have pushed the rear seat back a little (maybe possible since they have removed the spare wheel?) I am not sure how it can be roomier. In fact, I was puzzled by this:

Quote:
During its unveiling at the Delhi Auto Expo, Fiat Informed that the Avventura also has increased ride height optimised driving position, thus giving a much clearer view to its driver.
Since the external dimensions are the same as the Punto, the driver seat height would be hard to increase without making it difficult for tall people, right? Or have they adjusted the horizontal position and not the height (but how? Horizontal position is already adjustable.)

Well, we'll find out by and by...
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 16:19   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
Since the length is no different, unless they have pushed the rear seat back a little (maybe possible since they have removed the spare wheel?) I am not sure how it can be roomier. In fact, I was puzzled by th

Well, we'll find out by and by...
Yes, it'll be interesting to see if they've tinkered with the seat height etc in the Avventura compared to the Punto.

What it will have, and so will the new Punto will be seats from the Linea with a pretty big scooped rear. I notice, comparing my old Linea to the new one, that that has made a big difference to knee room and to the perception of legroom.

In any case, isn't rear bench comfort more a function of a flat ride, and tight handling, alongwith seat bolstering and size of the seat bench, than a visual thing? I guess, looking at the popularity of the Ecosport, for the average Indian height, the rear of the Avventura will be comfy enough at the back. Not that either the Ecosport or this Fiat is meant for the chaffeur-driven.

Last edited by desdemona : 29th May 2014 at 16:21. Reason: delete quote
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 19:02   #1404
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
Not that either the Ecosport or this Fiat is meant for the chaffeur-driven.
Chauffeur-driven no, families or groups of friends yes I think the main selling point of mini-SUVs like Duster and Ecosport is extra space and comfort on bad roads.
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 21:00   #1405
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
Chauffeur-driven no, families or groups of friends yes I think the main selling point of mini-SUVs like Duster and Ecosport is extra space and comfort on bad roads.
Really? Because neither is particularly spacious at the back. Sure they are comfy because they ride well without hairy handling or steering, as will the Avventura, only better(?).

I think the main attraction of these small, faux-SUVs (CUVs?) is body-styling (for those who are allergic to Mahindra and Tata).

If that is true: the Avventura could sell well (by Fiat standards, that is!)
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 23:39   #1406
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep bets big on smaller SUVs for India.
Quote:
While the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee will lead Jeep’s Indian charge in 2015, these aren’t the most important models for India.
Quote:
The first of this pair will be the larger ‘C-SUV’ and is an all-new model that hasn’t been revealed yet. It is expected to be priced between Rs 13-20 lakh and be a bit larger than the Renault Duster in size. Power is expected to be between 105 and 120bhp from a 1.5-litre Fiat Multijet diesel engine (a downsized version the international 1.6-litre block) for the 2WD model. True to the Jeep brand, a 4WD version will be offered too and is expected to employ a larger 2.0-litre Multijet engine that will bump up power to a healthier 168bhp.
Expect the C-SUV to be on showroom floors by late 2016.
Quote:
The other SUV will be a smaller B-SUV that has been recently revealed as the Renegade in the USA. This SUV had initially been scrapped from the India portfolio, but a customer clinic revealed that there could be a strong demand for the Jeep Renegade in India. While both B- and C-SUVs are built on the same platform, the Renegade will be slightly shorter at 4.25 metres in length and will also feature the same 1.5-litre Multijet under the hood. Jeep is aiming for a competitive price tag of Rs 10 lakh for the B-SUV’s base variant, going up to Rs 16 lakh for the full-fat one.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ia-386915.aspx
volkman10 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2014, 23:47   #1407
BHPian

I don't know about Autocar's price estimates but if there's anyone with access to little chirping birds in most car firms, it's them.

A proper credible 'butch' b- and c-suv covering the range from the price of the Duster/Terrano upto that of the Fortuner, with the Jeep nameplate. Some delicious prospect this!
Old 30th May 2014, 10:35   #1408
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Jeep bets big on smaller SUVs for India...
A good article. But I do NOT find a need for the 1.5L downsized engine unless the B-SUV (brought under 4m) & Punto (Abarth) are going to be shoehorned with this! Else they can actually keep it as 1.6L itself - why spend more money on this without enough ROI.

And that sweet spot of 13-20L for a C-SUV will be a brilliant move I believe! No one has really given a shot at it, Maruti might be a first mover with S-Cross in that segment though.
Old 30th May 2014, 11:22   #1409
Senior - BHPian

Today I saw Avventura and new Punto side by side at Chandani chowk. I could not take pics since I was driving. To me there is NOT a much difference as far as height is concerned. There are chances that the road is not even and so gave this perspective of Avventura of same hegit as of PUnto.

I dont get FIAT's stand on mounting a wheel to a hatchback and calling it a cross over. I dont think its going to sell much with that strategy. OTOH, I hope the new Punto would do well, since they have addressed the much talked about part of current Punto - interiors.
Old 30th May 2014, 13:41   #1410
BHPian

I think the only company which can play a definitive role in bringing the 1.6 MJD is Maruti Suzuki. It was the Swift and it's volumes that made the 1.3 MJD possible. I don't think Fiat would've ventured out with a production facility if it were not for the success of the Swift. Just my thoughts.

On that note, the upcoming Ciaz is my hope for the 1.6 MJD making its way into India and eventually into the cars in the Fiat stable. Other than the Ciaz, I doubt if any other car in the current Maruti stable needs anything more than a 1.3 MJD with VGT. A 1.6 MJD maybe underpowered for something like Kizashi or in its segment. And would Maruti burn their fingers in that segment, again?

What else? Maybe local production for exports can be another reason to bring it here. And then eventually hope it will make its way into the existing Fiat lineup. But is there a global demand that exceeds their current supply capacity? Don't think so.:-(

Just thinking aloud, folks.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks