Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th June 2014, 02:23   #1471
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post
(a) fiat owners tend to be vastly better informed, vigilant AND vocal. Hence there is a statistical quirk of more negative comments of FASS performance entering the internet etc, relative to other brands. Also, happy Fiat owners, and they may be the majority, are not as motivatedly vocal as those who feel they are not getting their due from FASS.
I hate to make this sound like an appraisal discussion (especially when the appraisal season is still on). The segment that you call "Happy but Silent Fiat owners" would probably rate Fiat's service as 'Meets expectations' instead of 'Exceeding Expectations'. Now in real world, for the appraiser as well as appraisee 'Meeting expectations' will translate into 'just being there' i.e. safe but still a lot more is desired. The appraisee that manages to only 'meet expectations' never gets the desired laurels, and the appraiser also expects much more from them.

If Fiat is 'ME' for the majority and 'NI' (needs improvement) for the remaining majority , then they really need to work hard. There are some like Hyundai and Maruti, that constantly get EE (Exceeds expectations) and enjoy high numbers. Then there are the ones like Honda and Toyota that get rated Excellent and enjoy higher margins (read premium pricing).
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 02:30   #1472
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

I typed out a detailed service report for half an hour, but my stupid comp died & the data was lost.

So in short :
  • I'd been to KHT-FIAT on Sunday. It was crowded, unlike the last free check-up camp. My regular SA there had changed jobs & I was abit apprehensive about how the new guy would be.
  • Mr. Swamy was the SA this time & came across as very co-operative. Since it would've taken 4hrs that day, on request he allowed me to return on Monday for the Free Check-up & a Glow Plug issue.
  • Monday I reached SC at 9:30, he'd already studied the car's service history(nice!) & took the car in & work started immediately.
  • There was this very helpful Sr.Mechanic there. Helped check out 4-5 niggles with the car. Good chap. Gotta find out his name next time.
  • By 11:45 car went for wash. I went for billing. Online billing was slow, poor SA was multi-tasking while system updated my bill & ownership details. FIAT should have faster online billing system.
  • Car was washed & ready by 12:15. After billing I remembered an issue with rear seat not folding. SA immediately sent a guy who strenuously got the tags out from the parcel tray.
Left happily for home. Car ready for HVK - MONSOON DRIVE.

Last edited by GrammarNazi : 18th June 2014 at 02:57.
GrammarNazi is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 13:19   #1473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibbs View Post
However, I disagree that we cannot expect the same level of service from Fiat as is provided by Maruti.

No, I just shared my experience. And I do not expect Fiat to have the same reach as Maruti has in the country, but I certainly do expect that in the service centers, that they have set up, they provide service that matches the best. Because I as their customer deserve that.

There are many here who have reported that service tends to get better once you get to know the staff at the centers or even prod Fiat after sales for lingering issues. However I believe that having bought a car, the manufacturer is obliged to ensure that the customers are taken care of.
There is no dispute about the fact that any problem in the car should be resolved to the satisfaction of the customer, whether it is MS or Fiat. I can assure you that back in 1999 (I had my M800 from MS then) the Maruti service was not as it is now, it needs some time to set such high standards and it cannot be achieved in one year. This is all that I wanted to convey.

Moreover, many of the SA and staff working in the FASS have been taken over from the earlier Tata-Fiat showrooms, it will take time for the attitude to change towards a more customer oriented approach.

Secondly, if you're not satisfied with the service provided by the dealer, then there is no harm in raising a complain with the manufacturer. Even after that if the parent company/manufacturer does not take any initiative to resolve the issue then you can fairly blame them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
Just curious, is there much regional variation in service quality?
As per the members feedback in various forums, Fiat service is best in Chennai, Bangalore and Pune. Majority of the other states does not even have multiple dealership and people have to travel long distances for the servicing.
Old 18th June 2014, 15:08   #1474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
would probably rate Fiat's service as 'Meets expectations' instead of 'Exceeding Expectations'. Now in real world, for the appraiser as well as appraisee 'Meeting expectations' will translate into 'just being there' i.e. safe but still a lot more is desired.
If they can be just "Meets Expectations", for the majority, I think it will work for now. The rest will fall into place automatically. I have seen far too many instances of half hearted efforts from the ASS. It is probably better for the brand experience to be mediocre, sincere and steady than being stellar but unreliable, especially when they are trying to make their mark. Their publicity efforts are definitely picking up and showing positive change. Whoever is in charge, is doing a much better job than what was being done, even a few months back. The ASS however, is glittery from the exterior, with fluent English speaking CRMs and well dressed "corporate" SAs, but rusty deep down.

Slight OT : I have some reports coming in already, of the "high quality" dash of the "new" 2014 Linea losing its lustre in this intense Delhi heat and sunlight. I haven't seen it for myself, but will try to post a pic.

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 18th June 2014 at 15:11.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 00:25   #1475
BHPian

I just did a slight photoshop job on the avventura. How does that look? I hope it hasn't gone wacky
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-avventura3.jpg  

Sagz is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 10:40   #1476
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagz View Post
I just did a slight photoshop job on the avventura. How does that look? I hope it hasn't gone wacky
You need to tell us which portion has been photoshopped! But, this car is looking GOOD!!
Old 19th June 2014, 11:24   #1477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
You need to tell us which portion has been photoshopped! But, this car is looking GOOD!!
The c pillar has been blackened!! I thought that would help in further differentiating the avventura from punto.
Old 19th June 2014, 12:39   #1478
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Sagz, for the photo.
I took the liberty of copying it. I did further changes with MS Paint, to extend the rear a little bit more. I always wanted to know how Avventura would look like, if the rear end was near-vertical, unlike the sloped rear of Punto.

I think now the car looks like a mini SUV, but because this will require redesign of tools, Fiat will not do it:
Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 2399
Size:  325.6 KB
rohanjf is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th June 2014, 13:04   #1479
Senior - BHPian

So much talk but where in the Indian Jeep Wrangler with its 2700 cc Diesel Engine. The promised launch date of 3rd quarter of 2013 is long past we are coming to 2014 3rd quarter next month.
Old 19th June 2014, 15:49   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertfox View Post
So much talk but where in the Indian Jeep Wrangler with its 2700 cc Diesel Engine. The promised launch date of 3rd quarter of 2013 is long past we are coming to 2014 3rd quarter next month.
They had put off the Jeep launch because of the severe depreciation of the rupee, elections, etc. They've recently confirmed that Jeep will launch in early-mid 2014.

They claim: Wrangler will be a CBU, the Grand Cherokee will be assembled in Ranjangaon. And there will be one (autocar says two) India-made, localized Jeep SUVs (Renegade?) in the price range of 10-12 lakhs to 20-22 lakhs in 2016, with possibly a cheaper Fiat version too.

I'd snap up a Jeep b/c-SUV if it had truly desi prices. For really tough off-roadies: the Wrangler will be, what?, 30/35 lakhs?
Old 20th June 2014, 01:00   #1481
BHPian

Pathetic Service Experience

Hi everyone. May turn out to be a Long Post

Apologies for the late reply.
With Reference to this Post :
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkingGuru View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
...Edit::It will always be helpful if you put down the name of the dealership / A$$ too...
It was KHT - FIAT. The Service Advisor was "Mr.Swamy.".

I'd mailed Fiat for the Service History soft copy on Sun (Jun 15).

I received a reply only after complaining on twitter after 2 days (Tue, Jun 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM) advising me to contact the dealer & they'd do the needful.

Having been to the Service Center the previous day, I replied (within 5 minutes) how the Service Advisor declined & later ignored my request.

It's EOD 19th June today and I haven't received any reply from FIAT. No service feedback call yet either - its been 3 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrammarNazi View Post
...So in short :...
Hi GrammarNazi! Good to read your experience. Unfortunately I didn't have such a great time. Just a few questions :
Quote:
Monday I reached SC at 9:30, he'd already studied the car's service history(nice!) & took the car in & work started immediately.
Are you sure he didn't remember since you'd have already mentioned that just the previous day? Check if he's opened 2 job cards. Your service history may have 2 glow plugs changed on 2 consecutive days.
Quote:
There was this very helpful Sr.Mechanic there. Helped check out 4-5 niggles with the car. Good chap. Gotta find out his name next time.
I'm quite sure this is a short chap at the SC, correct me if I'm wrong.

Q)Did he actually 'Solve' any issues that he pointed out?

I've come across him as the person who pretends to *try* sorting issues. My honest advice : Be Careful. I wasn't and I've paid the price for it.
He's damaged my cars Air Filter Assembly while yanking it out to reach the Glow Plugs.

Q) You also had the Monsoon Check-up done right? Did this 'Good Helpful chap' even get your cars Air Filter blown through/cleaned?

Anyway.

Quote:
By 11:45 car went for wash. I went for billing. Online billing was slow... FIAT should have faster online billing system.
Same here - took half an hour for a simple bill! IMHO such delays are not warranted. Its 2014! - Can't FIAT make something as simple as the payment process quicker? Or at the least SA could keep the bill ready to confirm & print.

After standing there for 5 mins, I realised he doesn't care a damn for waiting customers. He's being easily distracted for the slightest of things. The Service Feedback form is a B/W print out - for all I knew, it was a sham just for the sake of customers satisfaction to feel like we've given 'Feedback'. Feedback forms by Tata Motors are serially numbered & colour printed AFAIK.
WorkingGuru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st June 2014, 00:55   #1482
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pathetic Service Experience

Hi WorkingGuru!
Quote:
...I'd mailed Fiat ... - its been 3 days.
Any progress here?
Quote:
...Are you sure he didn't remember since you'd have already mentioned that just the previous day?
Could be. Yes, probably.
Quote:
Check if he's opened 2 job cards. Your service history may have 2 glow plugs changed on 2 consecutive days.
Oops! I hope not!
Quote:
I'm quite sure this is a short chap at the SC, correct me if I'm wrong.
Yep, suppose so.
Quote:
Q)Did he actually 'Solve' any issues that he pointed out?
Not really, no. Oh! Now I get it! Each problem he addressed eventually lead to something that needed to be replaced.
Quote:
...He's damaged my cars Air Filter Assembly while yanking it out to reach the Glow Plugs.
OMG, he seems to've done the absolute SAME thing to me!
Quote:
Q) You also had the Monsoon Check-up done right? Did this 'Good Helpful chap' even get your cars Air Filter blown through/cleaned.
Right. NO he didn't!

This also got me thinking, & I remember this chap used the windscreen wipers (without spraying water) when it was dusty & dry! I particularly NEVER do that! And now it seems to've developed some tiny slight scratches and 1 deep scratch that wasn't there before the service!

Quote:
...Same here - took half an hour for a simple bill! ...SA could keep the bill ready to confirm & print.
My previous SA used to do that. But I guess thats more of an issue with FIAT than the dealership itself.
Quote:
...The Service Feedback form is a B/W print out - for all I knew, it was a sham just for the sake of customers satisfaction to feel like we've given 'Feedback'. Feedback forms by Tata Motors are serially numbered ....
You're right, the authenticity could be questioned. But then you'd get the Service Feedback call too right?
Old 22nd June 2014, 00:58   #1483
Senior - BHPian

Re: Pathetic Service Experience

Billing delays are not FIAT specific, this is my personal observation having experienced the process at Suzuki, Honda, Toyota, JLR, BMW, GM & FIAT. The wait has varied between 20 odd minutes to a couple of days (bill was sent by courier and cheque collected by the same chap).

BTW on my last visit to Tuli FIAT, billing was instantaneous and not just for me but almost all customers were being made to loosen purse strings at a very rapid pace. The most consistent fastest billing however has been at Mitsubishi, never more than 5 minutes irrespective of the nature of the job whether routine service or accident repair including insurance claims. The accounts / billing guys at Excel motors have been swift in making one pay up.

Quote:
Same here - took half an hour for a simple bill! IMHO such delays are not warranted. Its 2014! - Can't FIAT make something as simple as the payment process quicker? Or at the least SA could keep the bill ready to confirm & print.
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 11:49   #1484
BHPian

Punto facelift coming early August - Autocar India

"The upgraded Grande Punto will go on sale sometime in early August this year and will feature a new look and new interiors.
The look of the new car is very different from the earlier one. It features swept-back headlamps, a squared out grille and intricately detailed bumpers"

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...on-388749.aspx
S.MJet is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th June 2014, 13:50   #1485
Senior - BHPian

Multiple sightings and speculations later, the New Fiat Punto is expected to launch in early August this year.

Link to news article
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed