Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th December 2012, 13:27   #1
Senior - BHPian

Fiat's India strategy revealed

Updates from the press conference;
  • Chrysler and Fiat to complement each other. Will operate alongside new Fiat network & will have separate dealerships as well
  • New Punto & Linea from 2014 ! Existing Linea will also be sold as Linea Classic... New Linea will get 1.6MJD and 1.4 Turbo Petrol
  • FIAT will also bring performance brand Abarth to India.. woo hoo..!!
  • Jeep will launch Wrangler and Grand Cherokee in second half of 2013 as CBU. 2 compact locally made SUVs in 2014
  • Fiat-Chrysler targets 5% mktshare in India by 2015
  • New compact car range from Fiat coming soon for India and the world. Will target Alto-Eon segment.
  • 9 new cars for India over next 4 to 5 years. 5 from Fiat (includes new gen Punto/Linea). 4 from Jeep
  • Fiat will also launch a compact UV with a 1.4L petrol & 1.3L Diesel
  • Fiat India will have distribution control
  • Jeep will have 32 dealers in 25 cities & Fiat will have 126 dealers in 112 cities

Source - OD / SVP Tweets

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 6th December 2012 at 13:53.
fiat_tarun is online now   (40) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 13:54   #2
BHPian

Re: Fiat to bring JEEP Grand Cherokee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiat_tarun View Post
Updates from the press conference;
  • Chrysler and Fiat to complement each other. Will operate alongside new Fiat network & will have separate dealerships as well
  • New Punto & Linea from 2014 ! Existing Linea will also be sold as Linea Classic... New Linea will get 1.6MJD and 1.4 Turbo Petrol
  • FIAT will also bring performance brand Abarth to India.. woo hoo..!!
  • Jeepwill launch Wrangler and Grand Cherokee in second half of 2013 as CBU. 2 compact locally made SUVs in 2014
  • Fiat-Chrysler targets 5% mktshare in India by 2015
  • New compact car range from Fiat coming soon for India and the world. Will target Alto-Eon segment.
  • 9 new cars for India over next 4 to 5 years. 5 from Fiat (includes new gen Punto/Linea). 4 from Jeep
Source - OD / SVP Tweets
A step in the right direction, methinks. The need of the hour is for Fiat and Chrysler to work together, leverage each other's strengths and synergies and present itself as a strong combined entity if it has to take significant market share from other carmakers.

The Linea getting the 1.6 MJD and the 1.4 Turbo Petrol is great news. However I think they've left it a little late - the current cars are already nearly 4 years into their life cycle and really struggling, if not going anywhere at all. They should've really had something lined up for 2013 - at least in the second half of the year.

Really looking forward to the Wrangler and the Grand Cherokee. At one point in time, I used to lust after the GC.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 6th December 2012 at 13:55.
Old 6th December 2012, 14:19   #3
BHPian

Thanks a lot tarun for giving the live updates, the plan looks promising - now they need to execute it properly and in an efficient manner.
The news of setting up of FIAT only dealership in the targetted cities is coming up everyday and looks very much in pace with the March 2013 deadline.
I would say 5% market share is little to ambitious however I am very much sure they have the right products for the Indian market.
Definitely waiting for 1.6MJD :-)
scofield is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 14:24   #4
BHPian

I'm so happy after hearing this!!

After Punto 90HP, my next car has been finalized. A 1.6 MJD Linea :-).

Fiat has finally woken up. The showrooms are coming up pretty soon. Hope they execute the plans well. But something needs to be done immediately for the dying sales of Punto & Linea.
Old 6th December 2012, 14:32   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
New Punto & Linea from 2014 ! Existing Linea will also be sold as Linea Classic... New Linea will get 1.6MJD and 1.4 Turbo Petrol
Good news about the 1.6MJD in Linea, but 2014 seems to be a little to late, seeing as Linea is already selling only in two-digit numbers. May sell even less now due to the "Linea Classic" announcement, because Fiat will probably cut the current Linea's price to create the "Classic" and make space for the new Linea. So buyers may wait for the price cut.

There was another recent report about all-new Linea/Punto in 2015 (source). So either that report got the dates wrong and the all new Linea/Punto will come in 2014 as announced today, OR India will be getting Punto Evo and Evo-based Linea in 2014 while the world will move to all-new Linea/Punto just a year later.

Quote:
FIAT will also bring performance brand Abarth to India.. woo hoo..!!
Answer to the Polo GTD?

Quote:
9 new cars for India over next 4 to 5 years. 5 from Fiat (includes new gen Punto/Linea).
That leaves 3 new cars from Fiat other than Punto/Linea. I hope atleast one of them comes in 2013 to keep people interested in the Fiat brand.
Old 6th December 2012, 14:54   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

IAB reports..

Jeep future products for India
In the third quarter of 2013 India will see the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee
  • In 2015, the company will launch a B-Segment SUV (name, specifications not available)
  • In 2016, a C Segment SUV will be launched (no details here again)
Jeep is not ready to divulge plans on what the second and third products are at the moment.

Fiat India (By 2016)
  • Fiat will be present across the country through 112 dealers
  • Jeep will be have 82 dealers throughout the nation
Fiat India future products
Fiat will launch 4 new products in 2013-2014
  • Fiat will launch Abarth in 2013 – No other details were divulged
  • All new Punto will be launched in 2014. The new Punto will be refreshed (think MY2012 Tata Nano, MY2012 Fiat Punto) in 2015 and 2016
  • A B-Segment Fiat SUV will come in 2014
  • Fiat will reposition the Linea as the ‘Linea Classic’ in 2013
  • An all-new Linea will be launched in 2014
volkman10 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 15:44   #7
Senior - BHPian

Considering that they are going to launch Linea with 1.4 Tjet, I am guessing that they will launch Punto with 1.4 Tjet too and badge it as Abarth.

I was really hoping to read the word "Panda" here. I am very disappointed. I have to replace my 4 year and 80k km old Palio MJD, mainly because of the lack of safety features. Panda would have just fit the bill. It is small and efficient, yet a good highway mile cruncher (unlike most other cars in its segment).
Old 6th December 2012, 15:57   #8
Senior - BHPian

Fiat is still keeping it's plan very secret.
There is no specific product named except the Cherokee and Wrangler from Jeep.
Fiat has also not disclosed any models from their stable except the 1.6MJD and the 1.4Turbo petrol.

No words about the dealership network, we are hearing some news only on the forums that too in the metros. What about the dealership in other tier B and C cities.

Was bit disappointed but atleast things are moving.
Hope this does not end up being "Too little, too late".
Old 6th December 2012, 16:10   #9
BHPian

For me the best news is the the launch of Wrangler and Grand Cherokee in second half of 2013 as CBU. Jeep is a legend in its own right and this is a perfect move.

Our market is slowing moving towards SUV and this is add to the choice. Wish they could use localization and price it well.

2 compact locally made SUVs in 2014 - Taking on the EcoSport?
Old 6th December 2012, 18:18   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
Answer to the Polo GTD?
The Abarth will be a petrol, so I guess if the Polo GTD does come, it will make more sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post
That leaves 3 new cars from Fiat other than Punto/Linea. I hope atleast one of them comes in 2013 to keep people interested in the Fiat brand.
I too expected something for 2013 on the Fiat front. I really hope that one among those 3 launches is the Panda.

Also read that Fiat will be concentrating on marketing activities. I look forward to that. Guys, do check out the 500 ad's for the US on youtube - brilliant stuff

Last edited by fiat_tarun : 6th December 2012 at 18:21.
Old 6th December 2012, 19:01   #11
BHPian

It would be a GTD if it was a GTI with a sparkling diesel. Its not. Its just a cheap bargain basement economy car with a still very mild engine and no sparkle at all that defines the very essence of GTI or GTD.

Last edited by Harbir : 6th December 2012 at 19:31.
Harbir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 19:59   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

ACI says Fiat may work on an Abarth diesel for India. They also claim that Fiat says they will price the car sensibly unlike the Mini!

Could anyone tell me what price are we looking at for Abarth (Punto), roughly?
Old 6th December 2012, 20:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

ABARTH - Coming to India - 2013.

I believe a seperate thread is in order - for - its going to be something we all craved for years- affordable performance cars.

ABARTH is coming to India in 2013!

Source -

http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...ors_picks=true

Although i do think the FIAT 500 Abarth will not be affordable to the masses due to it being a CBU, i hope the Punto Abarth will be made in India/ CKD kit would be used.

And hopefully, they will launch a full range of merchandise/ kits to get our FIAT cars 'abarth'ed, officially without praying that the local sticker-wala doesn't end up harming the paint.

Fiat's India strategy revealed-f6ea957e0a0d028a0128647a0e547c08.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiat500_abarth_2012_800x600_wallpaper_01.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-screenshot20120806at10.14.46.png

MODS: I couldn't find any thread relating to Abarth in India. Please merge if already exists. Thanks.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 6th December 2012 at 20:05.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 6th December 2012, 20:37   #14
BHPian

Re: ABARTH - Coming to India - 2013.

Is the news official by Fiat? If this is so, Fiat seriously seem to be tucking their sleeves to fight in India. First the Jeep and then the Abarth! But as everyone knows, Fiat's A.S.S is not good and they really need to revamp their dealer and service network if they want to support such a huge upcoming car portfolio. Would their be seperate showrooms for Abarth and Jeep? I highly doubt so! Would they be incorporated under one Fiat showroom? Seems most likely option but (and a big one!) how would they do it? Everything doesn't happen over-the-night and they need to toil very hard if they want to earn profits in India.

All the best to Fiat for their Indian innings!

Keep revvin'
S@ndy
Old 6th December 2012, 20:39   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
The wrangler though might do what a Thar is supposed to do, we should not be comparing it simply because of the different price points these two come at.

One could buy probably around 3-4 Thars depending on the price of the Wrangler.

I dont think any launching happening today. There might be announcements about future launches and the probably a few dealerships and related announcements.
I expect the Wrangler to be priced between 15 and 25 lakhs. If they are not going to go crazy about variants, one well equipped variant for 20 to 25 lakhs is what we can expect.
The Grand Cherokee would be priced between 30 and 35 lakhs.
I'm assuming these prices from the $ prices these cars sell in the US for. If the Wrangler sells for 25k$, I guess it could be sold in in India for 20 lakhs+ - like the Camry/CR-V etc.

Most Viewed