Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th February 2013, 11:27   #226
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Some interesting scoop news from a rather trustworthy source: Fiat plans to launch Abarth performance kits for Punto sometime in late 2013.
Brilliant. How did I miss this update?

Can the Linea owners also get the Performance kits?
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2013, 11:28   #227
tez
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Wow, so would it make sense to buy a Linea and then maybe 6-8 months down the line, bump up the power using abarth performance kit.
With fiat's handling, multijet linea would be a stonker.
Old 13th February 2013, 14:27   #228
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
Wow, so would it make sense to buy a Linea and then maybe 6-8 months down the line, bump up the power using abarth performance kit.
With fiat's handling, multijet linea would be a stonker.
Why do this when you get the 1.6 mjd new platform linea in 2014.

If still not satisfied, you can use the kits for this too and make it even more powerful.
Old 13th February 2013, 15:42   #229
tez
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Why do this when you get the 1.6 mjd new platform linea in 2014.

If still not satisfied, you can use the kits for this too and make it even more powerful.
true but i was in need of a sedan in next couple of months. 2014 is slightly far.
Seriously wish FIAT to succeed now.
Old 14th February 2013, 11:14   #230
h14
BHPian

Quote:
Some interesting scoop news from a rather trustworthy source: Fiat plans to launch Abarth performance kits for Punto sometime in late 2013. I'm talking about performance kits that can be retrofitted on currently existing Puntos.
Thanks for the scoop Karthik! I remember Mr.Enrico's speech at the factory,

Quote:
"I will give you more from Abarth, something in metal rather than just T-shirts!"
So, among all probabilities, this will happen
h14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 12:54   #231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Some interesting scoop news from a rather trustworthy source: Fiat plans to launch Abarth performance kits for Punto sometime in late 2013.

They are supposedly working on petrol and diesel performance enhancement kits which will be practical for the Indian market and driving conditions. The wait gets more interesting. Power to the Scorpion!
Thanks Karthik for this very exiting news. Will be waiting eagerly for further news / announcements on this Abarth performance kit, so please do update the forum from time to time.

I have my apprehensions about the Abarth Punto with the 1.4 Tjet engine priced above 10L. Really how many would be willing to buy a hatch at the price.
Old 14th February 2013, 13:05   #232
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Thanks Karthik for this very exiting news. Will be waiting eagerly for further news / announcements on this Abarth performance kit, so please do update the forum from time to time.

I have my apprehensions about the Abarth Punto with the 1.4 Tjet engine priced above 10L. Really how many would be willing to buy a hatch at the price.
True petrols heads and the rising diesel prices can fetch some numbers. If the abarth comes with the 1.6 MJD, there will be quite a few takers initally at the least.

Abarth is also a brand building exercise for FIAT, so whatever numbers they make should keep them happy.
Old 14th February 2013, 14:32   #233
BHPian

Hmm, interesting to see how this will play out. Abarth kit retrofit is quite an appealing idea.
A possibility I'm thinking of is to buy a used punto (considering its relatively lower resale value) and put in the abarth performance kit. :-)
gomzi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 17:29   #234
tez
BHPian

just a query here, what all would be a part of abarth performance kit. IMO it would be tuning box, air filter. Would they also give upgraded brakes, suspensions also.
Old 14th February 2013, 17:57   #235
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tez View Post
just a query here, what all would be a part of abarth performance kit. IMO it would be tuning box, air filter. Would they also give upgraded brakes, suspensions also.
A tuning box, airfilter and suspension is fine, but brakes, not sure how this will be handled.

Not sure, if this is a great idea by FIAT to provide Abarth kits. IMO, this dilutes the purpose of Abarth launch and positioning.
Old 14th February 2013, 22:20   #236
Senior - BHPian

Just read some interesting news. It seems that the Punto Abarth version will be in petrol and diesel and manufactured in India. I guess then it will come with the regular 1.4 T-jet with 114ps as seen on the Linea and the "abarth-tuned" 1.3 VGT with 104 bhp. I may be wrong though. Nevertheless I am excited

Quote:
The company will launch a new model -- 'Punto Abarth' by June and 'Wrangler' and 'Cherokee' Jeep brands by October in the country, Managing Director of FIAT Group Automobiles India Pvt Ltd, Enrico Atanasio told reporters here...While 'Punto Abarth' will be manufactured at the Ranjangaon plant in Maharashtra in both petrol and diesel versions, 'Wrangler' and 'Cherokee', the original Jeep brands, would be imported, he said.
Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...w/18500379.cms

Last edited by S2!!! : 14th February 2013 at 22:22.
Old 14th February 2013, 22:31   #237
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
Just read some interesting news. It seems that the Punto Abarth version will be in petrol and diesel and manufactured in India. I guess then it will come with the regular 1.4 T-jet with 114ps as seen on the Linea and the "abarth-tuned" 1.3 VGT with 104 bhp. I may be wrong though. Nevertheless I am excited...
I read the Punto Abrath petrol could be a 1.4L T-Jet (165 bhp) and diesel could be the 1.6L MJD (output not known). Can't really verify the authenticity though!

Edit
:: Another question. How about the transmissions on these cars? Would they be tuned better and could we expect a better shifting gearbox? Current one is NOT all that great in terms of shift quality, quite a rubbery feel to it. Takes away the sportiness a lot.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 14th February 2013 at 22:33.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 23:00   #238
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I read the Punto Abrath petrol could be a 1.4L T-Jet (165 bhp) and diesel could be the 1.6L MJD (output not known). Can't really verify the authenticity though!

Edit
:: Another question. How about the transmissions on these cars? Would they be tuned better and could we expect a better shifting gearbox? Current one is NOT all that great in terms of shift quality, quite a rubbery feel to it. Takes away the sportiness a lot.
I will bet my money on the 1.4 Tjet pumping out 160 odd bhp (185 might be kept aside for abarth SS) and the 1.6 MJD in VGT tune around 120 bhp.

either ways, both the engines will do proper justice to the fantastic chasis. The drive will just get hotter.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2013, 23:07   #239
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I will bet my money on the 1.4 Tjet pumping out 160 odd bhp (185 might be kept aside for abarth SS) and the 1.6 MJD in VGT tune around 120 bhp...
1.6L 120 bhp is the normal output for Linea. I believe this will come in the next gen. If we can expect a 165 bhp out of the 1.4L T-Jet (normal output of 114), I guess the 1.6L might be tuned to deliver atleast 150 bhp! That's my guess & wishlist! No point in having a 120 bhp on an Abarth right, that too from a 1.6L mill?
Old 14th February 2013, 23:11   #240
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
1.6L 120 bhp is the normal output for Linea. I believe this will come in the next gen. If we can expect a 165 bhp out of the 1.4L T-Jet (normal output of 114), I guess the 1.6L might be tuned to deliver atleast 150 bhp! That's my guess & wishlist! No point in having a 120 bhp on an Abarth right, that too from a 1.6L mill?
If they really tune the 1.6 MJD in a higher state of tune, then India will be first one to get the higher state of tune. They may be able to do that with the Multijet 2.

With Multijet 2, FIAT atleast needs to ensure that they dont share it with other manufacturers in India atleast for 1.5 - 2 years to differentiate themselves from the crowd.

With all this, for god sake, they need to get rid of the current gearbox.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks