Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th March 2013, 18:05   #271
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

May be due to the high state of tune and may require RON97. No idea why Coimbatore specific.

It is nice that FIAT is not masking anything here. They already declared about Abarth launching. So let the public see the machine in skin and drool
Old 16th March 2013, 18:30   #272
Team-BHP Support

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I saw a Punto Abarth test car today. It was a 2 door model with nice looking alloys and there was a paper pasted in the dashboard that said "Special fuel".
Punto Abarth as CBU unit should be with a price tag more than 13-14 lacs. I doubt how many they'll manage to sell.
Haven't seen any 500 on road for years. Hence.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th March 2013, 20:06   #273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Punto Abarth as CBU unit should be with a price tag more than 13-14 lacs. I doubt how many they'll manage to sell.
Haven't seen any 500 on road for years. Hence.
Why would Abarth Punto be CBU when Fiat manufactures Punto locally? Only some parts will probably be imported. But of course, it won't sell much and I don't think Fiat is also expecting it to sell much. This is probably just for brand building.
Old 16th March 2013, 20:53   #274
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarrySky View Post

Why would Abarth Punto be CBU when Fiat manufactures Punto locally? Only some parts will probably be imported. But of course, it won't sell much and I don't think Fiat is also expecting it to sell much. This is probably just for brand building.
I do not think Abarth can help Fiat in building a brand in India. Abarth can only appeal to enthusiasts and connoisseurs which will be a miniscule population here.

I think what will help Fiat build a brand is Punto Evo if it can sell good volumes.

I for one am not clear if Fiat's strategy is being a niche player or a volume player in India.

On a hindsight, with all the dealerships opening, it is safe to assume that they do want a good share of market in India.
Old 16th March 2013, 20:55   #275
Senior - BHPian

Isn't that a Punto Evo? I don't think they'll launch this here. They are probably just testing the 1.4 Tjet engine in one of its highest states of tune, to see how it fares with Indian special fuel.

I hope launch it in a lower state of tune and provide an option for remapping at the dealer level.
Old 16th March 2013, 20:55   #276
Senior - BHPian

Fiat show room coming up near domlur. Pretty near my home. I hope they work on services aspect too. Italian beauties are not selling only because of service
Old 17th March 2013, 12:16   #277
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Isn't that a Punto Evo? I don't think they'll launch this here. They are probably just testing the 1.4 Tjet engine in one of its highest states of tune, to see how it fares with Indian special fuel.

I hope launch it in a lower state of tune and provide an option for remapping at the dealer level.
It's not a fiat punto evo. The badge says it's Abarth
Old 17th March 2013, 16:01   #278
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ece2k2 View Post
I saw a Punto Abarth test car today. It was a 2 door model with nice looking alloys and there was a paper pasted in the dashboard that said "Special fuel".

Attached is a photo - sorry for the poor quality image.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
The Punto Abarth in the picture is a esseesse model. It comes with 180hp@5750rpm & torque of 270Nm@3000 rpm in Europe .
It is an Abarth Evo all right, but there is something wrong about the badging. The Punto in the picture says "Evo", but it says EsseEsse (stands for supersport) on the right, and nowhere on the actual SS does the "evo" logo appear. Maybe this is to remind Indians that this is not the "aam aadmi Punto".

Here's how the actual EsseEsse looks from the back
Fiat's India strategy revealed-2011fiatpuntoevoabarthesseesserearangleview.jpg

In case you spot the test mule again, check if the sides / front look like this:

This is an Abarth Punto Evo, 165 bhp
Fiat's India strategy revealed-abarthpuntoevo1730874.jpg

And this is an Abarth Punto SuperSport, with 185 bhp. More understated looks, more performance. Talks lesser, delivers more .
Fiat's India strategy revealed-abarth_puntosupersportlg1.jpg

Since we are hot on the trail of the Abarth Punto SS launch, here's some copy paste job from the Abarth UK website for petrolheads to keep drooling on the tech specs till the launch happens:

ENGINE
4 cylinders in line with 4 valves per cylinder, 1368 cm3
Power: 180bhp (132kW) at 5700rpm
Maximum torque of 270Nm at 2500rpm
IHI RHF3-P Turbo

TRANSMISSION 6 Speed Manual

SUSPENSION
Front: MacPherson configuration with anti-roll bar
Rear: Torsion beam with anti-roll bar
Lower sports suspension

STEERING Electric Assisted EPS with Torque Transfer Control

BRAKES
Red Brembo monobloc Brake Calipers
Front: 305x28mm
Rear: 264x11mm

WHEELS
Bespoke Matt Black 17" Scorpion alloy rim - Tyres: 215/45 R17"

ENVIRONMENTAL LEVEL
Complies with Euro 5 CEE-F5 standard.
CO2 emissions 142g/km.

FUEL CONSUMPTION
Urban cycle (l/100km): 8.0 (35.3mpg).
Combined cycle (l/100km): 6.1 (46.3mpg).
Extra-urban cycle (l/100km): 5.0 (56.5mpg).

PERFORMANCE
Maximum speed: 134mph (216 km/h).
Acceleration 0-100km/h (0-62mph) in 7.5 secs.

Looks like I better start saving for my next purchase in 2014 end - Abarth Punto SS, budget permitting

Last edited by KarthikK : 17th March 2013 at 16:27.
KarthikK is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 01:33   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post

Here's how the actual EsseEsse looks from the back
Attachment 1063168
It is indeed EsseEsse only. They had shifted the EsseEsse logo from right to left (left hand drive to right hand drive). Evo logo is an indication of 2014 upgrade of all Puntos to Evo.

Anyway 185 bhp. May end up with morons racing with likes of BMWs.

Side note: Let it be 185 or 165 bhp. Fiat should provide that mean Scorpion-claw alloy as standard (at least as accessories).

Cheers!

Vinu
myavu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 08:24   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by myavu View Post
Anyway 185 bhp. May end up with morons racing with likes of BMWs.
Nothing in the sub-50L space can match the performance feel of a 185bhp t-jet'ted hot hatch. The much acclaimed BMW 3-series, Skoda Laura vRS and even the 5-series can be gobbled up for breakfast. Barring the 530D and the Volvo S60, every sub-50L car can be demolished with ease by the Abarth Punto SS, thanks to the extreme power-to-weight ratio.

Abarth Punto SS : 185 bhp, kerb weight = 1185 kg. Power to weight ratio = 156.8 bhp / ton

BMW 320D : 184 bhp, kerb weight = 1445 kg. Power to weight ratio = 127.77 bhp / ton

Skoda Laura vRS : 160 bhp, kerb weight = 1340 kg. Power to weight ratio = 119.4 bhp / ton

The only thing which can possibly become a competitor is if Volkswagen decides to launch the Polo GTI in India, something which is unknown at this time. Until then, the Abarth SS will definitely be the (affordable) performance king of all the sub-50L cars. Maybe the Skoda Octavia 2014 vRS will be a candidate too, that's another tasty proposition in the performance segment.

Just hoping they price the EsseEsse well enough. Anything below 15L and I'm queuing up outside the Abarth dealership next year. SBI manager, are you listening?

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th March 2013 at 08:37.
KarthikK is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 08:43   #281
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
Nothing in the sub-50L space can match the performance feel of a 185bhp t-jet'ted hot hatch. The much acclaimed BMW 3-series, Skoda Laura vRS and even the 5-series can be gobbled up for breakfast. Barring the 530D and the Volvo S60, every sub-50L car can be demolished with ease by the Abarth Punto SS, thanks to the extreme power-to-weight ratio.
To get these performance figures in real-life I believe we should have better quality fuel available. With the current standard of 91 RON petrol, that maybe a bit difficult.

Anyway, it’s good to see that these real hot hatchbacks considered for our market. If one gets successful, other brands will follow soon.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 10:40   #282
Distinguished - BHPian

Even if FIAT sort of detunes the engines for the quality of fuel available here. The remaps will defintely be available in a few months down the line.

The power hungry petrol heads can always opt for it
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 10:53   #283
Senior - BHPian

Thats not entirely true now , while still not readily available across the country 97 is becoming easier and easier to find and fill up on now , in fact for the last 3 months - one of the 2 oil companies have launched 93 RON as well which is being advertised extensively through onground creatives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
With the current standard of 91 RON petrol, that maybe a bit difficult.

Anyway, it’s good to see that these real hot hatchbacks considered for our market. If one gets successful, other brands will follow soon.
Old 18th March 2013, 11:27   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Thats not entirely true now , while still not readily available across the country 97 is becoming easier and easier to find and fill up on now , in fact for the last 3 months - one of the 2 oil companies have launched 93 RON as well which is being advertised extensively through onground creatives.
OT: What I mentioned is the current fuel standard, which is 89-91 RON, and I believe fuels like Speed/Power (except for the 97) do not actually increase the actual Octane numbers but just come with a few additional additives.
The likes of Speed 97 are only available in selected cities /outlets, and IIRC it cost close to Rs.100 per litre.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 12:59   #285
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
To get these performance figures in real-life I believe we should have better quality fuel available. With the current standard of 91 RON petrol, that maybe a bit difficult.

I agree with you on the fuel quality part. Fiat has to find some way to be able to run these (higher state of tune) MultiAir T-Jet engines here in India with a lower fuel quality (89-91 octane), without letting the performance figures dip too much.

Placing a requirement on the customer to use only 97 octane petrol will severely limit the sales of the car to 3-4 metros, and will only be bought by people who have the patience to go to some specific bunk every time they need to tank up.

I agree on the second point too. With Abarth being the first true-blooded performance entrant into the Indian auto scene, other manufacturers too might be tempted to take a bite of the cake. The Polo GTI is another such mean machine which I wish would come here.

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th March 2013 at 13:01.
KarthikK is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks