Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st March 2013, 12:26   #316
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post

I don't think anybody on this forum will say "Only Fiat buyers are enthusiasts and others are not".
"The car is a member of my family". It's not about the Puntos or Lineas it started way earlier.
There is a lot of contradiction here. We are talking about an enthusiast's car and then we justify underpowered cars with niggles, bad service etc as an enthusiast's car. If this was the case then Fiat would have made quite a mark in India, if the only criteria for buying a car was ride and handling.

However lets all hope that going forward Fiat makes a name as well as the numbers for itself in the Indian market.

Last edited by Jaggu : 21st March 2013 at 20:49. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large post and youtube links. Affects readability. Thanks.
NFS2024 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 12:32   #317
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Firs of all let me clear one thing that I also have always been Fiat admirer but than I don't want to be called myself biased and have always respected other cars equally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
What most of the "Fiat enthusiasts" are trying to say is that they do have compelling reasons to chose a Fiat product despite there being concerns with A$$, resale value, and social stigma.
So what? Don't other car owners have reasons to choose other cars?

Quote:
Now, we can not go to roof top and shout about the fantastic dealer network or "kitna deti hai" so, all we can do is praise the ride quality, handling and how we all feel connected to the car (seriously, it can't be explained, only experienced).
Same is applicable to other cars as well, atleast with few others if not all.

Quote:
Now, on your point about underpowered cars - I would say they are adequately powered and the one I own (T-jet) has more than decent power.
You are lucky that you could get your hands on T-Jet but there are many others who want that car and Fiat has discontinued that. Recently my cousin wanted to upgrade from his Dzire and asked me some suggestions. I suggested him few cars along with T-Jet. We headed for test drives and found that T-Jet is discontinued.

Quote:
If going for a heavier, sturdier and safer car means losing out on a couple of BHPs, it's a decent tradeoff.
Sorry boss, I am not going to get drooled on this logic any more. If sturdy and heavier is the criteria than Ambassador should win hearts of everyone. We are having older generation of these Fiat cars here in India, once Fiat brings newer models, they will be lighter and every next generation will keep getting lighter and lighter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Very True, FIAT has given nothing more than a frugal engine where every other manufacturing is sitting at FIAT's doorstep to get their quota
Okay, let's repeat one of the common logic given to prove Fiat best over others.
Many a times its said that Swift is selling because its a Maruti car and its called as a mass segment car. Well if that is the case than the 1.3 MJD is also a top selling engine in India, shouldn't that be considered as uninspiring mass segment engine than?

Quote:
and secondly again true on the underpowered cars that have provided which ride and handle better than the cars in its segment, which provides a cocooned feeling because of the build and last but not the least puts a smile everytime you drive it.
Wish you had come down and met to the reality. As I mentioned above, we were considering a T-jet for my cousin, we ended up having test drive of Punto 75 (since no Linea or 90HP were available for TD). Believe me, Today that car is no where near to Fabia or Polo in terms of handling and cornering. Don't know what exactly they have done to it, new Punto has lot of body roll. Its not the car which I used to drive some 2 years back owned by one of my friend.

Talk about ride quality, its not at par with i20 when low speed ride quality is compared. Come to high speed ride quality on uneven roads, it wasn't comparable to Polo and Fabia. Steering definitely felt heavier and better but once they will bring newer generation of these cars, they will also be having electric steering so that remaining strong point is also going to be lost, just wait till they bring newer generation.

Though reserving my comment on Linea's ride and handling since couldn't get chance to TD newer model of Linea.

Quote:
I would be really dissappointed with FIAT the day they provide a tin can just for the sake of "kitna deti hai"
Punto/Linea are based on German brand Opel's small car platform. Once they decide to ditch this platform and develop their own newer platform, next car from them will be 'tin can' most probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Anyways, I agree with you- There is no proper definition for this term 'enthusiast'. You are free to have your opinion, others are free to have theirs. FIAT and its owners should refrain from using it
Thats what my point is. Even when I like Fiat cars and had got opportunity to drive some of the Fiats in the past, I feel pissed when Fiat lovers just end up making such disrespectful comments (not pointing to particular, but have noticed this many a times)

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
Underpowered - are you comparing 0-100 timings? Yes they may be slow on that front because of the weights and 1st and 2nd gear ratios.
If you ask me than I would say persoanlly I don't bother about these figures too much because I am not a track racer. What I said was based on my daily drive experience. And please stop giving logic of heavy weight, I have said enough on the weight.

Quote:
Once the intertia is overcome and the car is already rolling check the 20-80 or 20-100 timings. Check below, the cars which you call underpowered may blow off other cars
Also note that the Fiat cars can handle the full top speed of 185 kmph with easy and without any fuss. Many cars cant hold beyond 130-140kmph without giving nervousness to the driver.
I went through these tables, did you compile these? Looking funny, especially some of the remarks in front of some of the cars. For example a remark - "light build quality and mild hallow thud" is written in front of Vento whereas most other cars including Indigo/Manza cars are said to be sturdy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swami.n View Post
I think you have mistaken his comments here. He never mentions that, those who opt for non Fiat vehicles are not enthusiasts. All he says is, any middle class person, who also happens to be an enthusiast would shy away from a 14 lakh Fiat and rather settle for a much cheaper option.
Thanks for clarifying this.

Quote:
Further more, I would say that owning a Fiat is in lot ways similar to owning an Enfield, as I owned both. Both come with a lot of little niggles attached, but its more connected to the heart than the brain. The feelings only have to be realized and cannot be explained.
Believe me, I have met many other car/bike owners who love their rides (which are non-Fiat) with equally same passion.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 21st March 2013 at 12:41.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 12:41   #318
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
If this was the case then Fiat would have made quite a mark in India, if the only criteria for buying a car was ride and handling.
Way off the mark, buddy.

Fiat would have made quite a mark in India, if the only criteria for buying a car- was the car itself.

Unfortunately- its not. Cleanliness of the dealership, space, smile of the SA, offers, chocolate boxes, number of service centres, exciting 'new' limited editions- and a lot many others things matter too.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 12:42   #319
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbppjpr View Post

Punto/Linea are based on Germnan brand Opel's small car platform. Once they decide to ditch this platform and develop newer platform, next car from them will be 'tin can' most probabby.

I went through these tables, did you compile these? Remarks in front of some of the cars Looking really funny, for example a remark - "light build quality and mild hallow thud" is written in front of Vento whereas most other cars including Indigo/Manza cars are said to be sturdy.

Thanks for clarifying this.

Believe me, I have met many other car/bike owners who love their rides (which are non-Fiat) with equally same passion.
FYI, Fiat are not Japanese. So Tin can is the last word for any european car. Japanese are so obsesses with light weight and those punny tyres that now they are so happy that they have the lightest diesel engine

I dint compile any of the tables , they are compiled after a thoughtful points from TBHPians and authoritive facts. One very good thread on our forum.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e-ranking.html

Have you checked the Vento ? I own it, the boot is wafer thin, the doors are light, the bonnet is also light. My Lineas boot needs to be closed with both hands, bonnet needs to be opened with both hands and door close with a massive thud.
So dont laugh on the fact mentioned in the sheet. And yes the sheet metal used by TATA is one of the finest supplied by the same company that supplies to almost all manufacturers in india.

You might have met people with other cars who are passionate about their car, but you will not come accross any single FIAT owner who is not passionate about his ride.
Thats the major difference.

Quote:
Way off the mark, buddy.

Fiat would have made quite a mark in India, if the only criteria for buying a car- was the car itself.

Unfortunately- its not. Cleanliness of the dealership, space, smile of the SA, offers, chocolate boxes, number of service centres, exciting 'new' limited editions- and a lot many others things matter too.
Perfectly said. I had quoted earlier too, had it been linea and punto standing in Maruti showroom besides a SX4 or Dezire or swift, Indians would have been standing in a queue with a lottery booking form in their hands.

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 21st March 2013 at 12:45.
amit_mechengg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 12:53   #320
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Firs of all let me clear one thing that I also have always been Fiat admirer but than I don't want to be called myself biased and have always respected other cars equally.
Most of the teambhpians here are similar to you in many ways, but why demean only one manufacturer?

Quote:
So what? Don't other car owners have reasons to choose other cars?
Yes, anyone buying a car has his own reasons the purchase, its afterall his own money.

Quote:
Okay, let's repeat one common logic given to prove Fiat best over others. Many a times its said that Swift is selling because its a Maruti car and its called as a mass segment car. Well if that is the case than the 1.3 MJD is also a top selling engine in India, shouldn't that be considered as uninspiring mass segment engine than?
You can definitely go about making various inferences based on your thoughts, findings and analysis.

Quote:
Wish you had come down to the reality. As I mentioned above, we were considering a T-jet for my cousin, we ended up having test drive of Punto 75 (since no Linea or 90HP were available for TD). Relive me, Today that car is no where near to Fabia or Polo in terms of speedy handling. Don't know what exactly they have done to it, new Punto has lot of body roll. Its not the car which I used to drive 2 years back owned by one of my friend.
What I wrote is with my reality pretty much in check. My extended family has cars from Alto to an E Class. Pretty much driven these cars to come to my conclusion which I am entitled to. What you write about Fabia and Polo is really surprising, no doubt they are good in their own right, but writing off Punto to have lots of body roll is a bit surprising.

Quote:
Talk about ride quality, its not at par with i20 when low speed ride quality is compared. COme to high speed ride quality on uneven roads, it wasn't comparable to Polo and Fabia. Steering definitely felt heavier and better but once they will bring newer generation of these cars, they will also have electric steering so that remaining strong point is also going to be lost, just wait till they bring newer generation.
This again is taking things a bit too far. i20 has a softer suspension set up which helps in the city, but definitely it lacks in the slow speed to high speed balance with respect to the ride quality. Again with Polo and Fabia it was the other way round even my relatives who drove the linea and vento back to back whole heartedly agreed that Linea rides and handles better.

Quote:
Punto/Linea are based on Germnan brand Opel's small car platform. Once they decide to ditch this platform and develop newer platform, next car from them will be 'tin can' most probabby.
How did you get an insight as to how FIAT would manufacture tin cans once the platform you mentioned is ditched?

Quote:
Thats what my point is. Even when I like Fiat cars and had got opportunity to drive some of the Fiats in the past, I feel pissed when Fiat lovers just end up making such disrespectful comments (not pointing to particular, but have noticed this many a times)
You too are hurtling similar demeaning/disrespectful comments in the name of being a fiat admirer. How different are the comments that are being made to show that FIAT is the worst of the lot. A few posts in this page and the distribution thread conveys one thing, if anyone reads the word FIAT, bash it is the first that comes to the mind.

Quote:
Agree on this, its more to do with the person's taste and interests than the car they own.
nkrishnap is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 12:57   #321
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You are lucky that you could get your hands on T-Jet but there are many others who want that car and Fiat has discontinued that. Recently my cousin wanted to upgrade from his Dzire and asked me some suggestions. I suggested him few cars along with T-Jet. We headed for test drives and found that T-Jet is discontinued.
Can't stop laughing now, sorry. This is hilarious stuff.

Earlier you were fighting for the rights to be called an enthusiast, and now you tell you recently took your cousin for a TD of something which was last produced in 2011.

On a serious note, its coming back- better than ever- this April.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st March 2013 at 13:02.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 13:02   #322
BHPian

Quote:
Have you checked the Vento ? I own it, the boot is wafer thin, the doors are light, the bonnet is also light. My Lineas boot needs to be closed with both hands, bonnet needs to be opened with both hands and door close with a massive thud.
So dont laugh on the fact mentioned in the sheet. And yes the sheet metal used by TATA is one of the finest supplied by the same company that supplies to almost all manufacturers in india.
If you consider the "sheet metal" as build quality or safety than what more can be said. If you are so confident than please open the door pads and measure the inner metal thickness of Linea and Vento. I am confident about Vento's build quality since I have a friend who owns ICE shop and I keep observing inner parts of the cars when they come for getting ICEd and have seen many naked Vento, Linea, Punto etc.

About the bonnet and boot lid, doesn't matter how heavy or light they are. Because ultimately they gonna get ripped if any mishap happens. Another point to be noted is the pedestrian safety norms. Vento is based on Polo which has scored 5 stars in the test. And the pedestrian safety norm is the reason behind soft/spongy type bonnet lid. You have Vento, press the bonnet in the middle, it will go down.

What actually matters for safety is the inner structure and crumple zones.

And I would believe on a German cars when build quality or safety is considered. luckily the Fiats we are currently having in India are also based on German platform, I mentioned the same in my previous post too.

Quote:
Earlier you were fighting for the rights to be called an enthusiast, and now you tell you recently took your cousin for a TD of something which was last produced in 2011.
Looks like you didn't read first line of my previous comment.
But seriously, I never realized that T-Jet is discontinued, I always considered Linea means T-Jet.

Quote:
On a serious note, its coming back- better than ever- this April.
My cousin is still holding Dzire, even when he has finalized the deal to resale it and have received advanced amount.

Last edited by tbppjpr : 21st March 2013 at 13:13.
tbppjpr is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 13:03   #323
BHPian

Interesting to see the way people think -
(1) There is no hot hatch in market
(2) FIAT makes one and starts testing it
(3) People bash FIAT for making it saying there is very little market for it.

Oh GOD someone help understand what FIAT needs to do
flycatcher is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 13:22   #324
Distinguished - BHPian

I see some comments on the handling of the *NEW* Punto / Linea. Well, this is what my car crazy friend commented after taking numerous TDs of Linea / Punto (and almost every other car in the 5-20L range) :

"The new Punto & Linea can NOT be compared to the old ones (before the GC increment) in terms of handling. There is quite a lot of difference. I wanted to buy a Linea, but was so disappointed with the poor handling after increasing the GC. Even the Punto is NOT in the previous league, but it's better than Linea as the difference in handling is NOT very obvious and settled for it" !
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 13:39   #325
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I see some comments on the handling of the *NEW* Punto / Linea. Well, this is what my car crazy friend commented after taking numerous TDs of Linea / Punto (and almost every other car in the 5-20L range) :

"The new Punto & Linea can NOT be compared to the old ones (before the GC increment) in terms of handling. There is quite a lot of difference. I wanted to buy a Linea, but was so disappointed with the poor handling after increasing the GC. Even the Punto is NOT in the previous league, but it's better than Linea as the difference in handling is NOT very obvious and settled for it" !
Doesn't it mean- the ride and handling, Punto specially (in his opinion), though worse than pre 2012 cars, still impressed him the most in the 5-20L category?

Although you have obviously posted in the negative- I feel its similar to my experience where I did TD of cars till Cruze, but finally fell for Punto.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 21st March 2013 at 13:42.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 13:44   #326
Team-BHP Support

Quite a lot has been happening on the thread since I last visited it, I see .

Someone said a tuned (pre-owned) Honda City with aftermarket turbos and headers and FFE and blah, blah is a better choice than a factory tuned Abarth hot hatch with 3 years and 1,00,000 km warranty (this is what they offer as standard in UK and other countries, not counting extended warranty periods)

Then someone saw this and interpreted as "everyone who is not interested in an Abarth is a non-enthusiast AND/OR everyone who is an enthusiast and worth his salt, has to purchase one to prove it".

Then this person goes to great lengths to prove that Fiats' strengths are not really strengths, but just a temporary phase after which their strengths become weaknesses in future versions.
- Fiat Punto / Linea don't actually handle/ride well. It is just an illusion
- Ride quality is mediocre compared to i20, polo and fabia
- They are underpowered and heavy, so they are slow (and hence not enthusiast cars)
- Build quality is not really that good. Just the doors are heavy to fool customers, but interior strength is matchbox grade.

What exactly is the intention behind these posts? No one here said Fiat is superb and every other car is junk. If you saw some post which said that, please argue on that thread with whoever said that.

This thread is about Abarth / Jeep / Fiat launches and speculation about those products/ dealerships. Please lets keep it clean and free from pointless debates. My last post until the thread comes back on-topic, hopefully with the help of some moderator(s).

Last edited by GTO : 22nd March 2013 at 13:55. Reason: Please do NOT use abbreviations for cars (OHC). Second, no need to badge anyone a troll. You can report such posts. Thanks
KarthikK is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 14:04   #327
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Excuse me, if someone doesn't buy a Fiat for the sake of driving enthusiasm than does it mean he/she is not enthusiast?

I see lot of comments in Fiat talks where some people consider only Fiat buyers as enthusiasts, and I consider that like abusing others.

What exactly Fiat given to this country, one frugal commuter engine and some underpowered cars, what else?
Could you please explain where I mentioned a non-FIATian is not an enthusiast? Or am i missing something?

Quote:
So if one can get a 150 BHP car in 6-8 lacs , going by your logic why does one need to even buy a premium hatch like i20 or honda city or vento?
Why buy a new car at all. Get a old car and go to some tuner and pimp it.
Easy Brother, I was talking about getting a high performance car at budget. If somebody can afford a out-of-factory sports car nothing like it. My statement was purely for the likes of me, who aren't blessed with enough vit-m to afford a stock high performance car but have similar hunger for performance.

And when did buying a premium hatch or honda city come into picture? Obviously the primary car for daily/family use will be one among these, but when I say high performance cars, I meant the likes of Abarth. Do you think compared to Abarth any of the stock Ventos/i20s/Citys would even come close? And any car of similar performance would obviously set you back by atleast a couple million or more in india.

Quote:
Comparing a Out of factory performance car to a after market pimped ride by some of the tuners down south or up north is criminal.
Quote:
Also keep in mind the pain and errors associated by relying on the tuner. The best of the tuners in India had rendered our forum members brand new mitsubishi with a blown out engine.
Totally Agreed. But the performance car I tried to project was more of a weekend/race car which you use occasionally for that mad-a** fun. For such cars paying a visit to tuner's shop once a while doesn't hurt me.

Just my opinion. Peace!!!

P.S : Personally I love the Punto Sportz and eagerly waiting for the Abarth.
SoumenD is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 14:25   #328
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you consider the "sheet metal" as build quality or safety than what more can be said. If you are so confident than please open the door pads and measure the inner metal thickness of Linea and Vento.
What actually matters for safety is the inner structure and crumple zones.
Seems you are hell bend to write off Fiat for the things its well known for i.e safety and sheet metal strength. You are trying to explain the build quality to a person who own a vento as well as Linea. I love my Vento too but i will never say its better built than my linea.

FYI, i have ICED and also put seat covers etc and have ripped off all the panels and checked multiple times. The Fiat sheet metal is undoubtedly the thickest outside as well as on the inside.

Next time i will let you know the thickness witha Micrometer.

We all have seen the various accidents. So lets keep that fancy cribbing about inner sheet metal, crumple zones, 5star rating of flimsy japanese cars etc at bay. I dont want to post the photos crushed sheet metal cans here again.

If you want open the bumpers of a honda city or vento and check what lies beneath. Open the fenders and see.

Check the Fiat inside below. There are very strong thick crumple bars all over, one such example is the front. On top of that they have a bounce back thich rubberised foam.

Also you will never find a Fiat rolled up like a flimsy 5star car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoumenD View Post

Easy Brother, I was talking about getting a high performance car at budget. If somebody can afford a out-of-factory sports car nothing like it. My statement was purely for the likes of me, who aren't blessed with enough vit-m to afford a stock high performance car but have similar hunger for performance.

And when did buying a premium hatch or honda city come into picture? Obviously the primary car for daily/family use will be one among these, but when I say high performance cars, I meant the likes of Abarth. Do you think compared to Abarth any of the stock Ventos/i20s/Citys would even come close? And any car of similar performance would obviously set you back by atleast a couple million or more in india.

Hey Bro, no hard feeling. I got your point. But the thing is many indians miss some simple point. Fiat launched TJET, a good performing turbocharged petrol car for a price lesser than most of the cars in its segment.
Very rare that we indians get to drive such good cars. But we neglected it. I know there must be some reasons, but the TJET is still a mean machine.

When i get a out of factory 180bhp performance car which performs better than most of the costly daily use cars why should i still shy out of it.
The difference between Abarth and a car prepared by tuner is that you can safely drive Abarth on daily basis without fearing of breaking down.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-gopis20ferrari.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-image0211.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-etios-2.jpg  

Last edited by amit_mechengg : 21st March 2013 at 14:30.
amit_mechengg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 14:40   #329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I don't believe that's correct, FIAT messed it up big time only and only because of their service issues .

People don't buy car to keep it @ home all dressed and shining .
FIAT would have definitely made a mark in india, if they would have understood that they also need to help their customers to maintain their cars in top shape .
We all understand that these are mechanical things, and mechanical things can go wrong anytime anywhere no denying on that , but i guess FIAT thought that their cars once sold will never ever come to service centers for issues , so they didn't even bother to address that .
But i seriously hope with these new centers coming up, these issues will not be reported anymore.

Cheers
Schoudhury is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 21st March 2013, 15:32   #330
BHPian

Quote:
Daily i walk down the stairs and when i have a look at her she pleases me so much. I hold the steering and i feel so relaxed, i drive through nerve breaking traffic still i feel fresh when i reach my office 30kms far away, when i shut the door, the thud reminds me that i am safe in a coocoon. When i have a blast on the highway she says " Come on lets rock" , she hugs the road so firm.
Absolutely loved it. Exactly the feeling I have with my Palio 1.9D, even when it is 9yrs old. See, this is what I referred to as connected to the heart.

Quote:
Really good to know that from you. But on reading your posts, I get the feeling you are too much against the brand FIAT.

Quote:
I understand your point here, but let me point out the difference. It is pretty easy to love your ride, when it is having a good A.S.S, problem free ride, people do not look at you in shock when you say what car you own, etc etc.

But what amazes me is the Fiat, which has probably the worst A.S.S, lot of small niggles, friends asking "How are you able to maintain a FIAT?", etc etc, but still is very much loved by each of its owners.

Some where I heard, "The true test of your love is when things are not going well", and this is where Fiat owners prove different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
This thread is about Abarth / Jeep / Fiat launches and speculation about those products/ dealerships. Please lets keep it clean and free from pointless debates. My last post until the thread comes back on-topic, hopefully with the help of some moderator(s).
Couldn't agree more. Lets stick to what we feel about the brand Fiat and their strategies and not mix what we think, Fiat owners think of other cars. We can probably have a separate thread for that.
swami.n is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed