Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2013, 21:12   #391
Senior - BHPian

Fiat, Chrysler India businesses to be led by Nagesh Basavanhalli

New head for Fiat India. A little strange that Enrico is moving out so fast.

http://profit.ndtv.com/news/industri...anhalli-320366

Quote:
Fiat Group Automobiles India and Chrysler India Automotive have appointed Nagesh A Basavanhalli as president and managing director for their India operations with immediate effect, the companies said on Tuesday.

"In the newly created position, (Nagesh) Basavanhalli will manage Fiat and Chrysler India operations, reporting to Mike Manley, chief operating officer for the APAC (Asia Pacific) region, Fiat SpA. The appointment is effective immediately," the two firms said in a joint statement.

Enrico Atanasio, who was managing director of Fiat Group Automobiles India Pvt Ltd (FGAIPL) until now, will take on new responsibilities with the APAC region that will be announced at a later date, the statement added.

Commenting on the appointment, Mr Manley said, "In the short term, Enrico will work closely with Nagesh on a smooth transition of responsibilities and integration of the new structure to support the continued development of our business in India."

Prior to this new role, Mr Basavanhalli was head of Chrysler India Automotive Pvt Ltd (CIAPL) and was responsible for Fiat and Chrysler's APAC technical center located in Chennai, India.

He had joined Chrysler in 1994 and has held numerous positions in engineering and product planning.
fiat_tarun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 10:44   #392
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

GOOD NEWS FIATIANS - LOOKS LIKE NEW PUNTO'S ARE ROUND THE BEND !!

One of my cousin's was on the lookout for a petrol hatch until he Test drove the 90HP Punto D. He went ahead and booked the same last week. A quick pep talk with Karthik and his assurance with Fiat A.S.S of his T-Jet and P90 D sealed the deal.

My cousin got a call from the SE who informed that Fiat are introducing some changes on the Punto now. Accordingly -

- White and Red in Punto gets a Shine. Since my cousin has confirmed he needs a white, SE informed him that Punto's white color will be closer to an actual white and not the existing off-white.

- Interiors have been worked upon as well, which are cosmetic. So I am guessing might be the fabric color, trims, etc.

- Not sure about the Alloys design but seems that the color has been changed to a darker or a gun metal shade. Not sure if this is optional or available only on the Emotion version.

- Fiat will be introducing Abarth in India soon, which will allow both existing and new fiat owners to customize their rides.

I am not sure if these have already been discussed here, just wanted to keep this spirits high for all you Fiatians, considering that this thread has been dormant for 2 days now!!!

Last edited by Vik0728 : 4th April 2013 at 10:47.
Vik0728 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 10:57   #393
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Good insights there Vik0728. Which dealer is this by the way?

The updated/facelifts are supposed to launch on the 10th April (the dates that are floating around) on the internet.

The current Bossa Nova White is very mod friendly, they should retain this option while introducing the pearl white color (Vocal white in Fiat Terms). The Vocal white had some issues of paint peel off when it was initially launched sometime in 2009.

Do keep us updated with any insights you get.
Old 4th April 2013, 10:58   #394
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vik0728 View Post
GOOD NEWS FIATIANS - LOOKS LIKE NEW PUNTO'S ARE ROUND THE BEND !!

One of my cousin's was on the lookout for a petrol hatch until he Test drove the 90HP Punto D. He went ahead and booked the same last week. A quick pep talk with Karthik and his assurance with Fiat A.S.S of his T-Jet and P90 D sealed the deal.

My cousin got a call from the SE who informed that Fiat are introducing some changes on the Punto now. Accordingly -

- White and Red in Punto gets a Shine. Since my cousin has confirmed he needs a white, SE informed him that Punto's white color will be closer to an actual white and not the existing off-white.

- Interiors have been worked upon as well, which are cosmetic. So I am guessing might be the fabric color, trims, etc.

- Not sure about the Alloys design but seems that the color has been changed to a darker or a gun metal shade. Not sure if this is optional or available only on the Emotion version.

- Fiat will be introducing Abarth in India soon, which will allow both existing and new fiat owners to customize their rides.

I am not sure if these have already been discussed here, just wanted to keep this spirits high for all you Fiatians, considering that this thread has been dormant for 2 days now!!!
Interiors upgrade was discussed earlier - Punto was rumoured to get interiors shared with Linea from April. Afterall - in hatchback market - beige is considered premium.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 11:23   #395
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
Thanks for the information , lets hope its sooner than later. My point on the Amaze was actually , and i should have clarified this , from an advertising point of view - i am expecting other companies such as GM/ Maruti to be fairly aggressive in pushing their products once the Amaze is out - this can typically lead to media getting expensive and/or the space cluttered - so fiat might have to spend more to stand out , or alternatively there is a chance that their money might not stretch as much so to speak!
Why should Fiat fight it out for the launch of Amaze with players such as Honda, Maruti, etc. Amaze's USP has nothing to do with Fiat's USP. I, for one, am not excited about Amaze's launch.

What am I going to get from Amaze?

Probably a car that runs a little more longer for a litre of diesel and probably a better space managed cabin, what else?

I don't have to write down what you will get from a Fiat, those who know Fiat know that.

When Fiat says it has no inclination to be a mass market player, it doesn't have to worry about mass market cars such as Amaze. By mass market cars, I mean cars with Max KMPL, tin can build, feather light steering, glossy shiny interiors, thin tires, VFM, etc etc.

Instead, it needs to have a consistent marketing campaign to make people aware of its niche.

After watching the Grand Cherokee's review the other day, I felt Fiat has got its cards right at the moment. I expect Fiat to come back strongly.

As Fiat owners and prospective owners, we understand their cars, lets also try to understand their plans.

Last edited by CliffHanger : 4th April 2013 at 11:46.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 13:03   #396
Team-BHP Support

I do like Fiat cars, and I do think that these steps of going solo and bringing in more products will put them on the right path.
But this kind of extreme reactions is what normally ignites the Fiat v/s all other brand debates

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger View Post
Why should Fiat fight it out for the launch of Amaze with players such as Honda, Maruti, etc. Amaze's USP has nothing to do with Fiat's USP. I, for one, am not excited about Amaze's launch.
What exactly is Fiat’s USP now? For me, the Linea is a well rounded car in its segment, but sadly it lacks an USP to bring in more buyers. For me, the USP was the T-Jet engine, and it is indeed good news that they are bringing it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffHanger

Probably a car that runs a little more longer for a litre of diesel and probably a better space managed cabin, what else?
Its new to the market, and cannot really comment on what we will get from the Amaze. But from the look of it, it’s a well-engineered car with all the positives you mentioned. And those parameters like efficiency and space management are important too. One big complaint I have about the Linea is on space management. Big car from outside, but not so usable space inside (compared to the competition). It’s something which Fiat needs to address. From what I have experienced, it’s the same case with even with Punto Evo.

Quote:
When Fiat says it has no inclination to be a mass market player, it doesn't have to worry about mass market cars such as Amaze. By mass market cars, I mean cars with Max KMPL, tin can build, feather light steering, glossy shiny interiors, thin tires, VFM, etc etc.
They don’t need be mass-market, but it is important for them to garner respectable numbers to justify their presence in a huge market like India. And don’t dismiss those parameters as mass-market. Cars are getting lighter, manufacturers are going for low weight & high-strength materials and the next gen Linea / Punto will most probably be lighter than the current gen. And not many manufacturers have perfected the steering when they moved from HPS to EPS. I am interested to see how Fiat evolves in this space. Lack of steering feedback is a complaint on many of the newer Fiats / Alfa Romeo etc.

Quote:
After watching the Grand Cherokee's review the other day, I felt Fiat has got its cards right at the moment. I expect Fiat to come back strongly.
Jeep Cherokee is indeed a good addition to our market, but it may not do much for Fiat as a brand. It’s like saying the launch of new Skoda Octavia will boost the Volkswagen brand.
Old 4th April 2013, 13:45   #397
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Better space managed cabin, better FE, better power, better driveability and a supposed to be better brand.

For someone looking at a Punto 90HP, Amaze strikes off every advantage of the Punto, except for looks and build quality. I know I'd be confused if i were in the market for a sub-4m powerful diesel.

I dont consider Linea and Amaze to be in the same segment though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
What exactly is Fiat’s USP now?
+1.

Thats the question FIAT needs to answer, and fast. If they want to cater to the enthusiasts (24% of whatever as they claim) -

1. They should bring in T-Jet as the main engine for Linea petrol (Atleast on mid and top variants)- Check (almost).

2. Bring in Abarth for brand buildin. - Check (almost),

3. Bring in performance + visual upgrade kits for existing owners to go gaga about - Cross. (Dont think company is thinking along these lines).

4. Bring in the newer models - Check (But only by 2014).

5. Bring in T-Jet powered Punto. (Performance hatchbacks are back, and while Abarth will rule this segment on paper, its too exclusive to make an impact) - Cross. (Dont think company will go ahead with this!)

6. Make sure there is a dealer base to support all this - Check (Atleast they are trying!).
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 14:43   #398
BHPian

That brings me to the question of when is Linea T-Jet being re-launched? Last I had heard April, but till now, there's not a single buzz. There's a Fiat Caffe opening up at Inner Ring Road here, I'm hoping that they might put a T-Jet up on display if their opening coincides with the re-launch.
Old 4th April 2013, 14:48   #399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Better space managed cabin, better FE, better power, better driveability and a supposed to be better brand.

For someone looking at a Punto 90HP, Amaze strikes off every advantage of the Punto, except for looks and build quality. I know I'd be confused if i were in the market for a sub-4m powerful diesel.
+1. The market does not want good build quality and about the looks its very subjective, but from the Dzire sale numbers, I dont think the market cares too much about the looks too. No offense to anybody.

Quote:
I dont consider Linea and Amaze to be in the same segment though.
+1, They are not in the same segments to be compared.

Quote:
1. They should bring in T-Jet as the main engine for Linea petrol (Atleast on mid and top variants)- Check (almost).
The Linea should have been lanched with the Tjet and 1.6 MJD from day 1.

Quote:
3. Bring in performance + visual upgrade kits for existing owners to go gaga about - Cross. (Dont think company is thinking along these lines).
I dont think this performance kits thing is going to happen anytime soon. May be only cosmetic stuff would be made available.

Quote:
New generation Linea and Punto that comes in 2014, needs address a few things without losing any of the positive attritbutes that it currently possess like the build quality, ride and handling, steering feedback.

The things that need to improve upon is the space management, adapting the interiors to meet the market need (read as beige), bottle holders, n number of storage places, upmarket finish similar to the likes of Verna and i20. And last but not the least, shout from the top of the roof about all this in every possible media to ensure the market knows that they have a good product on hand.

Quote:
5. Bring in T-Jet powered Punto. (Performance hatchbacks are back, and while Abarth will rule this segment on paper, its too exclusive to make an impact) - Cross. (Dont think company will go ahead withPunto would be.
They can definitely plont the Tjet in the upcoming new generation Punto, by then the Abarth would have settled down in the performance car category. The new generation Punto should be made far more affordable than the Abarth to get some numbers. With the price difference between the Petrol and diesel narrowing, there will be a good number of people looking at the powerful premium hatchback segment.

Quote:
6. Make sure there is a dealer base to support all this - Check (Atleast they are trying!).
Yes, they are indeed trying. The facelifts supposed to be out yesterday is delayed as there were a few more dealerships to open before the 10th April. They would get that done first and then launch the facelifts.

Whatever they do, from now on, they need to be on their toes to ensure not a single customer goes dissatisfied. But its easier said than done, to succeed, one needs to work hard and bend their backs with extra efforts.
nkrishnap is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 15:50   #400
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

The same advantages you listed down for Amaze almost holds good for i20 as well. When you bought the Punto, you had the i20 as an option as well, but why did you chose the Punto?

It's nice to thrive to be objective, but not at the cost of self's integrity. It makes the discussion meaningless.

Quote:
Thats the question FIAT needs to answer, and fast.
For us humans life is short, but companies and conglomerates are expected to run for at least hundreds of years. Please understand Fiat is not a small entity, it's built by several thousand people and exists for over several decades.

Quote:
If they want to cater to the enthusiasts (24% of whatever as they claim) -

2. Bring in Abarth for brand buildin. - Check (almost),

5. Bring in T-Jet powered Punto. (Performance hatchbacks are back, and while Abarth will rule this segment on paper, its too exclusive to make an impact) - Cross. (Dont think company will go ahead with this!)

A redundant read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
I do like Fiat cars, and I do think that these steps of going solo and bringing in more products will put them on the right path.
But this kind of extreme reactions is what normally ignites the Fiat v/s all other brand debates
It will be nice to list out the facts before claiming something. Claiming something to be extreme without reasoning out why, doesn't sound right.

Quote:
What exactly is Fiat’s USP now? For me, the Linea is a well rounded car in its segment, but sadly it lacks an USP to bring in more buyers. For me, the USP was the T-Jet engine, and it is indeed good news that they are bringing it back.
For you, the USP of Fiat may be just the T-Jet engine. For many of us it is a lot more - The solid build, the sheer Ride, the Handling, the sense of safety, the looks that could put cars above many segments to shame, the dynamics, the nifty safety features such as the metal sheet running behind the back seat, etc etc.

Quote:
Its new to the market, and cannot really comment on what we will get from the Amaze. But from the look of it, it’s a well-engineered car with all the positives you mentioned.
Nothing against the Amaze, but is just a look enough to understand the depth of engineering?

Quote:
And those parameters like efficiency and space management are important too. One big complaint I have about the Linea is on space management. Big car from outside, but not so usable space inside (compared to the competition). It’s something which Fiat needs to address. From what I have experienced, it’s the same case with even with Punto Evo.
One of the reasons for relatively lesser space in the cabin is - The long protruding bonnet which in turn gives a bigger crumple zone.

What do you want? A little more space in the cabin or a cabin that is a little more safer?

Quote:
They don’t need be mass-market, but it is important for them to garner respectable numbers to justify their presence in a huge market like India. And don’t dismiss those parameters as mass-market.
They are not sitting idle.

Quote:
Jeep Cherokee is indeed a good addition to our market, but it may not do much for Fiat as a brand. It’s like saying the launch of new Skoda Octavia will boost the Volkswagen brand.
You are looking to buy a flat. Whom would you choose? A builder who is just starting his first construction or a builder who has proven establishments under him?

You may ask did Hyundai do that?

Fiat made a mistake and looking for amends. Yamaha failed and they brought in the streeght fighter FZ, I was bowled over by the bike, likewise many youngsters would have and that started the Yamaha's resurrection story. Fiat don't have exciting products under their portfolio for India at the moment. So they are bringing in products from some of their other stables which don't you think makes sense?

Last edited by CliffHanger : 4th April 2013 at 15:54.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 16:28   #401
BHPian

I think Fiat has to demonstrate that they will support products after they are discontinued for buyer confidence to return. As of now, their reputation on this front is a little too bad with even models which were sold after the Tata partnership facing issues. Until they improve this, the buyer base will remain quite niche. Great product can only go so far if not backed by reliable service. For me personally, Fiat is still on the 'do not buy' list. I came close to buying a Palio Stile before I bought my Swift in 2008 and now thank my lucky stars that I didn't. Even for the car change which I'm planning now, was tempted by the Linea but ultimately don't trust Fiat enough to buy it. I don't care about resale etc but do care about being able to get spare parts when the need for repairs arises a few years out.
jaibir is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 16:49   #402
Senior - BHPian

I am not suggesting they do , my only point being that it might become very noisy in terms of the number and the frequency of advertising and fiat could get a bit lost in this with their advertising or have to increase budgets to be able to make reasonable noise themselves. Not saying they need to fight the Amaze.

Quote:
Old 4th April 2013, 16:50   #403
BHPian

Quote:
The same advantages you listed down for Amaze almost holds good for i20 as well. When you bought the Punto, you had the i20 as an option as well, but why did you chose the Punto?
That's exactly why the i20 sells more than the Punto. Even though Fiat says it would want to cater to enthusiasts, I am sure they would be more than happy being a volume player. I think that's exactly what they should try without diluting their core competency.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 17:21   #404
BHPian

Fiat in world market has 10+ products which are very successfull, not sure what happened when they re-arrived in India and till now and still in 2013 they are talking about only 2 products same old Punto & Linea. Forget Jeep that falls in a different segment, why can't they bring Panda, Bravo, Freemont to Indian market?
asdon is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 18:39   #405
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
When Fiat says it has no inclination to be a mass market player, it doesn't have to worry about mass market cars such as Amaze.
If that is the case, then whats stopping them from phasing out the anaemic engines that powers their current range of cars, including the indian T-jet.

Seeing a current generation Fiat car ahead of oneself during peak hour office commute is so frustrating, even if the owner inside might be basking in Build quality, safety and handling perceptions.

Most Viewed