Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2013, 12:25   #571
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

I think Fiat should discard the 1.4 and keep T-jet as the only petrol offering. The t-jet is as efficient as the 1.4 and is more powerful. Also, t-jet on the lower variants brings the price down. Hopefully fiat can improve on the sales number in the coming months.
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 12:35   #572
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

The T-jet may be a premium offering now, but the new Linea due in 2014 will reportedly have only the T-jet as the petrol engine. If Fiat prices the T-jet too high now, and price the new Linea due in 2014 at par with those prices, the new Linea may get the "over-priced" tag from day 1.

On the other hand, the competition could also have raised their prices by the time the new Linea is launched in 2014. So if Fiat prices the T-jet due in June at a premium to existing market offerings and then hold on to that price for the new Linea in 2014, the new Linea could end up priced on par with the competition.

Fiat seems to have taken a leaf out of Ford's book by planning to introduce a stripped-down Linea (classic) just like Ford did with the Fiesta (classic). But I hope they don't take a second leaf out of Ford's book and price the new Linea out of the market
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2013, 12:36   #573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
My counter-point for that was the T-Jet wasn't a commercial disaster because of its pricing. The failure had more to do with Honda's upper hand in brand image, relatively better servicing reputation and Fiat's lack of advertising the capabilities of this car or engine (T-Jet). There was nothing wrong with the T-Jet's pricing as such, if you look at the product objectively. It was in fact quite reasonable.
I completely agree with Karthik here. I was unaware of this model until I actually started reading reviews on Team-BHP. Atleast I am smitten by the turbo-charged petrol bug here and desperately waiting fo this model to be re-launched. I think 11-11.5L OTR is a very decent price for this beast considering the tech/goodies on offer. Anything more and I would be surely disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceman82 View Post
The point remains that Original TJet was a commercial disaster at the price point which it was offered in since general buyers if looking for a petrol would go for a Honda City and not to mention that City S-AT might be the same cost as TJet Emotion.
If one is a true enthusiast and not the so-called self-proclaimed enthusiast, AT anyways goes out of the window. So, now we know what we are left with then

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
I dont see the TJet to be a premium offering only for the reason that the regular petrol Linea is under powered. If the regular one was sufficiently powered, then TJet can be called as a premium offering.
T-Jet is a premium offering not because the NA petrol Linea is under powered but because of its own merits. Even if NA Petrol Linea didn't exist, T-Jet should be a premium offering because of the tech/goodies on offer as mentioned by Karthik above.
floyd.bell is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 01:49   #574
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkykar View Post
So when it comes to Petrol Linea, many may see the only option as TJet or
nothing (whether they are bothered about its sportiveness or not). .
Agreed , the reason i looked at the T-Jet was only because of the fact that the NA engine was simply not upto the mark , so for me , the T-Jet was the only option , i would have probably gone in for the 1.4 if it was a bit better on the performance ( not fuel economy) and the fun quotient , but it was not.

On a different note , and this could be just me , if they price it at the 11 lac band OTR i am fine with it too as mentioned previously , if they go higher - say 13-15 then i automatically have the laura in reach at that point , even with 130bhp on tap ( if they were to remap it) , there would be strong temptation to go for the Laura , and the new Octavia due this year might be even more aggressively priced thus reducing the distance even more monetarily.

This is assuming they will keep the feature list the same.

Plus we know that one can squeeze a decent amount in terms of discounts on Skoda , something like the new TSI AT variant would be staring at you from about 16 OTR.

I am ok and expect a premium pricing for the T-Jet and i would pay it as well - i only hope that its not too high - assuming that the feature list will be the same that is.

Ofcourse if they bring in a retuned 130bhp mated to a DSG type unit with a few more goodies thrown in then 13-15 would be pretty attractive.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:18   #575
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by puchoo View Post
...assuming that the feature list will be the same that is.

Ofcourse if they bring in a retuned 130bhp mated to a DSG type unit with a few more goodies thrown in then 13-15 would be pretty attractive.
Feature list gets better with rain sensing wipers. That should be available in T-Jet since that's present in the brochure as a common feature.

The launch in June will definitely not have a 130 bhp unit, unless you are talking about the 2014 launch. Fiat's website speaks of the same 114 ps unit.
Old 10th May 2013, 09:49   #576
BHPian

The re-launched Linea T-jet will be like a limited edition model. Early next year, the T-jet Engine will jump into the new Linea's bay. The current Linea will become Linea Classic and will not get the T-jet engine as per Fiat's corporate presentation. I could not find any information on the new Linea / Punto whatsoever. No (convincing) renderings, no spy pics, no news. But I am sure the new Linea will be a stunner.

Fiat, in their new TV Ad says "Make the move my friend, make the move." Every time I see it, my response is "Well, how about YOU make some move first and then tell me?"
amitg79 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2013, 09:59   #577
Senior - BHPian

Yes , i know that the website currently mentions the same stats as far as power goes , i was simply saying that a price bracket of 13-15 , if the linea ends up there , might be a bit too much unless they put some more stuff in it as well and then that would be a real temptation. Was not implying that it might be out in June.

Auto headlamps are also going to be present now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
Feature list gets better with rain sensing wipers. That should be available in T-Jet since that's present in the brochure as a common feature.

The launch in June will definitely not have a 130 bhp unit, unless you are talking about the 2014 launch. Fiat's website speaks of the same 114 ps unit.
Old 10th May 2013, 12:37   #578
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The Linea T-Jet better be priced below 11L, at 13+L it would be squarely in a higher segment and it just does not belong there and there are other options in that segment that will get preference on brand alone.
Old 10th May 2013, 17:04   #579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitg79 View Post
The re-launched Linea T-jet will be like a limited edition model. Early next year, the T-jet Engine will jump into the new Linea's bay. The current Linea will become Linea Classic and will not get the T-jet engine as per Fiat's corporate presentation. I could not find any information on the new Linea / Punto whatsoever. No (convincing) renderings, no spy pics, no news. But I am sure the new Linea will be a stunner
Check out this site. It is Brazilian, but you can opt for google translation. This is possibly what we will get. Since the Linea has already been facelifted internationally in some markets like Turkey, just that we didn't get it in 2013. I checked out the Turkey site as well, but they don't have the T-jet option. They do have a Multijet 1.6 at 105 hp. My guess is they might give a slightly better tune for the Indian model for T-jet. Or they they just might skip it, and give the same 114 ps unit.

http://www.car.blog.br/2013/02/novo-...celift-ja.html

The Turkey site, check out 'Yeni Linea':

www.fiat.com.tr

Last edited by Tats07 : 10th May 2013 at 17:09.
Old 10th May 2013, 18:47   #580
BHPian

Quote:
Check out this site...

http://www.car.blog.br/2013/02/novo-...celift-ja.html

The Turkey site, check out 'Yeni Linea':

www.fiat.com.tr
This is the facelifted version of the current Linea which was launched in Turkey. This will probably be launched as the Linea Classic, while the new Linea will be (hopefully) an all new platform.
Old 10th May 2013, 18:54   #581
BHPian

Quote:

This is the facelifted version of the current Linea which was launched in Turkey. This will probably be launched as the Linea Classic, while the new Linea will be (hopefully) an all new platform.
I think the existing Linea will become Linea Classic. That's what the Turkey website says as well, and that's what Fiat announced in India. This one should be the 2014 launch for India. Had there been a new platform, there should've been some report somewhere.

Please correct me if you have a different source, web or otherwise, which talks of a new platform.

Last edited by Tats07 : 10th May 2013 at 18:56.
Old 10th May 2013, 19:45   #582
BHPian

Quote:
Please correct me if you have a different source, web or otherwise, which talks of a new platform.
No I don't have any information on this whatsoever. I am hoping that it will be a new platform, as the current platform is six years old. But yes, I cannot find any information on any new platform for the Punto / Linea. And they should have been testing now.

The Turkey facelift is not a very big change from the current Linea. So the 'new' Linea and the Linea classic will just be the same car with different grilles, which will be a bit... umm... unfortunate.

Last edited by amitg79 : 10th May 2013 at 19:47.
Old 10th May 2013, 20:55   #583
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think so. The model which was released in turkey has 6 forward gears and 1 reverse( if you see the image carefully), So my guess is it is Linea with 1.6 MultiJet as 1.3MultiJet does not need 6+1 gearbox.

Also IMO, current linea/ striped version of current linea will be called as Linea classic and New linea will be released with New interiors as shown in the picture with 1.6MultiJet.

My two cents.
Old 12th May 2013, 02:20   #584
BHPian

For a market share of just around .5% by sales, Fiat still pulls such attention by media (auto magazines/webportals) as relatively is pulled by a new version launch of a certain model by any other manufacturer. Opening of a new showroom by Fiat is an occasion that no other similar brand can boast of (for all the right reasons or wrong)
Old 12th May 2013, 21:28   #585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuldagap View Post
For a market share of just around .5% by sales, Fiat still pulls such attention by media (auto magazines/webportals) as relatively is pulled by a new version launch of a certain model by any other manufacturer. Opening of a new showroom by Fiat is an occasion that no other similar brand can boast of (for all the right reasons or wrong)
This is an unsubstantiated and baseless statement. Fiat still has a long way to go to pull media and market attention. Other manufacturers have also given media ads, Fiat is not doing anything new that other manufacturers have already not done !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks