Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th June 2013, 23:59   #646
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Oh man! After several sleepless nights and tens of test drives I had almost finalized on the Ford Ecosport. Now this...

Boy do these prices/feature sets rock.
Old 11th June 2013, 03:21   #647
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Well, to me these reduced prices clearly indicates a step towards re positioning of Linea to Linea classic and making way for the updated Linea somewhere in 2014. Nevertheless, good move by Fiat. Making less profits than no profits(by giving discounts close to 1L to clear inventories) would certainly be better.
Old 11th June 2013, 07:32   #648
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
KarthikK - Since you own a t-jet, pls clarify:
1. will the increased GC in Emotion variant affect handling badly to the extent of being a deal breaker, especially for Linea's reputation?
It might produce slightly more body roll than the earlier versions, but the handling will still remain a segment benchmark by being far, far ahead of most of the competition. I wouldn't worry too much about this. 2cm increase in height won't turn it into a fluidic verna.

Quote:
2. will the increased rim size and tire width in Emotion result in odo errors? how is Fiat handling the errors across variants. sorry for this noob query.
When the upsized tyres are factory-fitted (applies to any manufacturer supplying bigger wheel sizes on top-end variants), the manufacturer calibrates the speedometer to calculate properly with the increased tyre dimensions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
I week back I took a test drive of the current version (Linea 1.4L Fire). I noticed humming sound while driving, as if it is cabin shell resonance. I was a bit surprised because I thought Fiat car body shells are heavy. Has anyone else noticed such a thing? Will the T-Jet be any different? Will try to test drive the T-Jet over the weekend.
Not sure what is cabin shell resonance - hearing of such a thing for the first time . Your (humming sound) experience might even be due to bad/bald tyres shod on the car, or just some plastic panel rattling somewhere due to severe car abuse.
KarthikK is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 09:04   #649
Senior - BHPian

What is the driveability difference between the 1.3MJD and the 1.4Tjet? The torque and power quoted are almost the same. Can anyone, who has driven both, clarify this?
Old 11th June 2013, 09:22   #650
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
What is the driveability difference between the 1.3MJD and the 1.4Tjet? The torque and power quoted are almost the same. Can anyone, who has driven both, clarify this?
I have driven a Grande Punto 90 and the engine needs to be worked for all those 90 horses to show. No such feeling on the T Jet. The engine response of the T Jet is better at just about all rpm levels. 3rd gear in simply incredible on the T Jet. Try the same stunt with the mjd and you might wonder for a bit if the drive by wire system has failed. The T Jet engine response is on another planet when pitched beside the Multijet.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 09:33   #651
BHPian

I have seen members mentioning Punto Abarth could be introduced with 12L+ ex-showroom, which i feel would be suicidal for Fiat, which is on life support in India. It definitely does not want another sales dud in its armoury.

I still feel Punto with T-jet will make a smashing hot hatch - could take on Polo GTI head-on and out-score it on sales numbers.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:22   #652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
Now only thing I hate is its GC, what the heck man, I don't want a suv kinda gc in a car, which is otherwise a drivers delight.

The 15" alloys in dynamic looks puny, with 185 GC. And obviously it does affect the handling as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
It might produce slightly more body roll than the earlier versions, but the handling will still remain a segment benchmark by being far, far ahead of most of the competition. I wouldn't worry too much about this. 2cm increase in height won't turn it into a fluidic verna.
As already clarified by Karthik, the increased GC won't be much of a problem. The bodyroll will be slightly more but you'll feel the difference only if you have driven both the models. The Tjet handling will still be the best in the segment.

Last edited by Sommos : 11th June 2013 at 10:24.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:30   #653
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I have seen members mentioning Punto Abarth could be introduced with 12L+ ex-showroom, which i feel would be suicidal for Fiat, which is on life support in India. It definitely does not want another sales dud in its armoury.
I don’t see anything suicidal here. You expect the Punto Abarth to be a volume seller? Infact, I feel the said 12+ lakhs ex-showroom itself is too good to be true.

Quote:
I still feel Punto with T-jet will make a smashing hot hatch - could take on Polo GTI head-on and out-score it on sales numbers.
You mean the Polo GT TSI? But I agree, especially if they can launch the Linea T-Jet in such attractive price range, the T-Jet Punto should be something they should seriously think of.
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 10:39   #654
Senior - BHPian

I think the pricing is fair ,and its good value for money on the Active Trim. The new GC is one of the main reasons i wish to take a test drive again instead of simply booking the car and hoping to be able to do that within this week.
Old 11th June 2013, 10:47   #655
Senior - BHPian

According to the latest info provided by a small birdie in Thane Fiat dealer, Punto Abarth is now on a back burner for a while till the pricing thing is decided by the Fiat Mgmt. As of now Chrysler will be the first to be introduced in July end - Aug first half, followed by Jeep SUV in October 2013 second half.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 10:50   #656
BHPian

Anyone has any idea on the Bangalore ex-showroom prices for Emotion? The website hasn't been updated yet.

Was anyone from Mumbai present at the launch? Do the interiors look different from TJet+?
Old 11th June 2013, 11:19   #657
BHPian

Killer pricing from Fiat. I hope more enthusiasts buy this one and silence the critics. T-Jet is easily the best driver's car in the 10L price range and will outgun many cars more expensive than this.

I am not quite sure how the higher GC is going to affect the car though - not too much I hope.
johy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 11:59   #658
BHPian

Introduction of Active trim is right step, confirms two things,

1.) When Fiat announced earlier that they are planning to target enthusiast, they were serious. Linea Active with T-Jet, ABS and disk brakes is a mouthwatering and real value for money combination for enthusiast.
2.) Most importantly, they are serious about Indian market.

Now for petrol heads, there are three very good options available, Polo GT, EcoSport EcoBoost and Linea T-Jet and Linea scores over others due to its steering.

Good work Fiat.
Vishal.R is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 12:11   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vishal.R View Post
Now for petrol heads, there are three very good options available, Polo GT, EcoSport EcoBoost and Linea T-Jet and Linea scores over others due to its steering.
Polo GT TSI is in a diiferent league, as it is an AT.

Cheers!
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2013, 12:59   #660
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post

Polo GT TSI is in a diiferent league, as it is an AT.

Cheers!
Can you tell me how the league changes if its an AT?

Agreed DSG+TSI is a good combination but its not a better car compared to TJET if we consider other factors apart from an AT.

I have driven the GT Polo extensively during a test drive - the combination of the engine and gearbox is the only thing which makes it attractive however the ride and handling though better than the competition but it is no where near to TJET rather even Punto and the steering is not at all great to hold and the feedback is just fragile - it doesn't feel manly and is eager to swirl around not a good feeling when you drive at high speeds.

So the Polo GT falls on face when a very important fact to consider a petrol head's car i.e. handling, suspension and steering are not on its side.

Engine wise I would rate both in the same league and AT is good to have but petrol heads prefer a manual because its always nice to have the stick in your control when you drive below 2 litre car in a sport variant. A Laura TSI manual is a great example of it.

Price at which TJET is launched makes the Polo GT a costly and no value for money at least for a petrol head because its a hatchback which is costlier then TJET plus the factors mentioned above not in its favour.

Automatic itself doesn't change a league there have to be many other factors which are not in Polo GT's favour .

I would say one should appreciate a bold move from Fiat and don't deny the car the respect it car deserves in Indian market by giving unwanted on liners which don't convey any meaning.

Thanks.
scofield is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed