Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th August 2013, 12:25   #766
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Fiat Punto Sport 2013 launched- Into the cosmetic game!

2013 Punto Sport comes with additional cosmetic updates and a black the 2013 model comes with minor cosmetic updates. The new Punto Sport is available in two paint shades, white and red, both come with a black roof. Also on offer are sporty exterior body graphics, roof spoiler and a sport badge, branded door sills, branded floor mats with red stitching, pedals with aluminum inserts and a chrome exhaust tip. The wing mirrors are painted in contrast shade which means the red car comes with white mirrors and the white gets red mirrors.

The Punto Sport comes with dual front airbags, an engine immobilizer with rolling code, Fiat’s Blue & Me technology, climate control, ABS, speed-sensitive volume control and a remote control for audio system.
The Punto Sport is powered by the same 1.3-litre MultiJet diesel engine.

Fiat has priced the 2013 Punto Sport at Rs 7.6 lakh (ex-showroom, Delh).

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/353...-launched.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 15th August 2013 at 12:27.
Old 16th August 2013, 10:03   #767
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Any idea if the roof is painted/ stickered? The finish seems dull, in the pics.
I have not seen the car in person, but it definitely will not be a sticker.
The dull finish is because of dust I guess. If you look at the third photo in my post, you can also see some hand prints or marks on the rear left of the roof
Old 17th August 2013, 12:22   #768
Distinguished - BHPian

Saw this on Fiat India's FB page a few minutes ago

Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiat-india.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiat-spares.jpg

Irony is that the poster shows the headlamps and tail lamps from Punto
And rear wipers of a Sedan!!!
hemanth.anand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2013, 13:01   #769
Distinguished - BHPian

Fiat India rolls out 2.50 lakh passenger cars and 5 lakh engines.

Quote:
The state-of-the-art facility at Ranjangaon, which is owned by FIAL, a joint venture company, is capable of producing 200,000 cars and 300,000 engines annually besides 300,000 parts & accessories
http://www.cardekho.com/india-car-ne...ines-11059.htm
Old 23rd August 2013, 14:51   #770

Fiat's just gonna drive itself deeper into the hole if they persist with just the Linea and Punto. Minor cosmetic changes can't really help them and I can't fathom why they don't get this. The new Linea? With all-new interiors? These would have worked a year or two ago, but not at this point. Even a new gearbox and engine won't help that much - beyond appealing to a small fraction. The Punto Sport refresh (Happened to see one when I took my Punto in for repairs) is an abomination. It's just another sticker job, and isn't gonna appeal to anyone who's already not fond of Fiat's cars. (heck, I love my Punto and I hated the stickers and red wing mirrors they got on the new Sport)

What do I think they should do?

1. Get in Alfa Romeo to compete in the premium bracket. With separate showrooms, not alongside Fiat.
2. Get the Jeeps - well, they are.
3. Get the Fiat Panda to compete against the Swift.
4. But most of all -> Those of us who own Lineas and Puntos mostly love the brand and would love our next car to be a Fiat as well. What's there for us? Nothing. I can't move up a class unless I look beyond Fiat. I *might* trade in my Punto for a Linea 1.6 if that comes in, but unless it's got a DCT, I won't even consider it - I'd rather wait and move up a size - perhaps to the new Octavia. (Or Vento, if VW give it a DSG). Getting the Viaggio might help here. But with a 1.6 diesel with the 6-speed (and DCT as an option)
Lord Ickenham is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:11   #771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ickenham View Post
4. But most of all -> Those of us who own Lineas and Puntos mostly love the brand and would love our next car to be a Fiat as well. What's there for us? Nothing. I can't move up a class unless I look beyond Fiat.
+1 to this. I echo your sentiments Ickenham.
My Punto is 4yrs+ now and I really want to upgrade. Not yet ready to look beyond Fiat. Hoping they will bring the Jeep soon and will have at least 1 model in the 12-15L range.
JohnyBoy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2013, 15:30   #772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Fiat's just gonna drive itself deeper into the hole if they persist with just the Linea and Punto. Minor cosmetic changes can't really help them and I can't fathom why they don't get this. The new Linea? With all-new interiors? These would have worked a year or two ago, but not at this point. Even a new gearbox and engine won't help that much - beyond appealing to a small fraction. The Punto Sport refresh (Happened to see one when I took my Punto in for repairs) is an abomination. It's just another sticker job, and isn't gonna appeal to anyone who's already not fond of Fiat's cars. (heck, I love my Punto and I hated the stickers and red wing mirrors they got on the new Sport)
The Linea refresh, with new engines, or the Punto refresh which will probably follow, are more of a short term improvement rather than a long term one. I dont think FIAT expect either to set the charts on fire. But they will hope the improvements will get the numbers upto may be about two to three thousand units a month.

FYI, Punto is all set to be replaced internationally in a few years. And I think FIAT will definitely be thinking of India as a major market for whatever replaces it. And the same for the replacement for the Linea.

Quote:
1. Get in Alfa Romeo to compete in the premium bracket. With separate showrooms, not alongside Fiat.
There really arent any Alfa models right now which could be brought in. Presently they sell only the Mito and Guiletta hatchbacks, neither of which will have any market in India.

They could though offer the Alfa 4C as a CBU, but I think the 4C is pretty over booked.

Quote:
3. Get the Fiat Panda to compete against the Swift.
The problem with the Panda is that it will be very costly, being barely cheaper than the Punto. At present rates, the Punto is at par cost wise with the Swift as it is. So FIAT should concentrate on the Punto and its future replacement against the Swift.

Though they should bring in the Palio and its sedan variant the Siena from the Brazilian market. If possible redesign the Siena to be a sub 4m sedan. Products like these will fit very well in their Indian portfolio, and play in segments that are likely to bring in the largest volume in years to come.

Of course, they have already announced a couple of UVs, probably something based on the 500L/500XL/500X.

Quote:
4. But most of all -> Those of us who own Lineas and Puntos mostly love the brand and would love our next car to be a Fiat as well. What's there for us? Nothing. I can't move up a class unless I look beyond Fiat. I *might* trade in my Punto for a Linea 1.6 if that comes in, but unless it's got a DCT, I won't even consider it - I'd rather wait and move up a size - perhaps to the new Octavia. (Or Vento, if VW give it a DSG). Getting the Viaggio might help here. But with a 1.6 diesel with the 6-speed (and DCT as an option)
This is always the issue. FIAT dont really have a competitor to cars like the Octavia, Jetta etc. They have never traditionally played in those markets.

As for the Viaggio, which is nothing but a Dodge Dart, I have my doubts how good an American car will be in India.

Hopefully the new Alfa Guilia and Alfa 169, can also be built in India in future.
julupani is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2013, 12:44   #773
BHPian

I hear that 1.4 T-Jet is available in a higher state of tune ~ 140 PS in some markets. Even if Fiat does not have anything in the D segment, it might be worthwhile for them to launch the refreshed Linea, add some more goodies, and price it in the 12 Lakh ex-showroom bracket. It might be a good move if they can do this in early 2014.
Old 24th August 2013, 14:41   #774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tats07 View Post
I hear that 1.4 T-Jet is available in a higher state of tune ~ 140 PS in some markets. Even if Fiat does not have anything in the D segment, it might be worthwhile for them to launch the refreshed Linea, add some more goodies, and price it in the 12 Lakh ex-showroom bracket. It might be a good move if they can do this in early 2014.
Well technically, the FIAT 1.4Tjet, with a variety of different turbochargers, has been available on various cars with upto 200hp.

I think there may be a few issues with having the T-jet in higher states of tune in a normal everyday car. Such a tune will bring down fuel efficiency, in what isnt exactly a very fuel efficient car as it is. Also, higher states of tune also require maintenance schedules to be tightened. I dont think FIAT will be comfortable offering a 15 thousand km service interval for such an engine. At best, the higher state of tune can be used in a sport oriented variant.

You could see a more powerful T-jet, if FIAT bring in the 1.4Multi-Air Turbo. That will give you 135PS of power, with the same peak torque rating. The Muti-Air system will ensure that you dont see a drop in fuel efficiency.
Old 26th August 2013, 22:11   #775
Senior - BHPian

A little birdie says that the car that will do battle in the B1 hatch segment will be the Uno. Not sure if it will be a revamped one.
But as an overall car it sure has the capability to do everything that the Figo does, probably more
Old 27th August 2013, 07:08   #776
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
A little birdie says that the car that will do battle in the B1 hatch segment will be the Uno. Not sure if it will be a revamped one.
But as an overall car it sure has the capability to do everything that the Figo does, probably more
Can you specify, which car..? Is Fiat considering Uno for Indian market?
Old 27th August 2013, 08:47   #777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxTorque View Post
Can you specify, which car..? Is Fiat considering Uno for Indian market?
From what I hear, yes. It will be the Uno in that range.
So it should be Uno (whatever they choose to call it) > Punto > Linea Classic (current) > Linea 2014

I tried to find out if they would bring the Bravo, but no response. As with others I hope they make a 1.5 engine for the new Linea.
Old 27th August 2013, 08:59   #778
BHPian

Quote:
So it should be Uno (whatever they choose to call it) > Punto > Linea Classic (current) > Linea 2014
Fiat India badly need a product below Punto. Uno is a perfect fit to play that role. By the way no news about Fiat 500L/XL?
Old 27th August 2013, 09:13   #779
Senior - BHPian

If Fiat brings Uno to India, they may need to do a couple of small changes:
1. get a new name
2. change the grille to a symmetrical one

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
You could see a more powerful T-jet, if FIAT bring in the 1.4Multi-Air Turbo
Abarth Punto comes with MultiAir technology, doesn't it? Or, is the MultiAir available only with Essesse variant?

Quote:
By the way no news about Fiat 500L/XL?
These cars are built on the same platform as Punto. But then, Fiat plans to build an entry level Jeep also on the same platform. I guess India will get the Jeep badge, rather than a Fiat badge.

Last edited by rohanjf : 27th August 2013 at 09:16.
Old 27th August 2013, 11:18   #780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Fiat India badly need a product below Punto. Uno is a perfect fit to play that role. By the way no news about Fiat 500L/XL?
IMO this should be the Panda, which is a tall hatch, much to the liking of middle class, which are the primary market/ buyers in this segment.

Uno may not find much favour by a lot of buyers, because of past bad experience with Fiat's after sales.

Most Viewed