Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th January 2014, 12:36   #931
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Here is the latest updated on the Flaunt your Fiat contest:
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiat.jpg  

funkykar is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 10th January 2014, 14:54   #932
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

So Fiat did not verify/ check for legal issues before shooting off the publicity campaign.
Fabulous.

I wonder who is in charge of these things, and if any accountability exists within the organisation for such 'facepalm' incidents.
selfdrive is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 07:36   #933
BHPian

Now this :(

http://m.us.wsj.com/articles/SB10001...?mg=reno64-wsj

Quote:
Chrysler Group LLC said plans to launch its Jeep sport-utility vehicle in India have been delayed as a slowing economy has scared other foreign investors from the South Asian country. Chrysler originally had planned to bring Jeep to the Indian market by the end of last year. But the auto maker is now reassessing when best to enter the market, said Michael Manley, president and chief executive of Chrysler's Jeep brand.

Last edited by noopster : 15th January 2014 at 15:47. Reason: Added extract of original atricle in keeping with fair usage policy
Fiatanic is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 11:13   #934
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiatanic View Post
This is really sad for the Indian consumers & bad move for Fiat India.

There would be so many SUV enthusiasts waiting for Jeep to be launched in India.

Not sure how newly signed up dealers will take this news, I am sure many of the urban dealers would have partnered with Fiat looking at Crysler plans for India.
Old 15th January 2014, 12:04   #935
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.MJet View Post

There would be so many SUV enthusiasts waiting for Jeep to be launched in India.

Not sure how newly signed up dealers will take this news, I am sure many of the urban dealers would have partnered with Fiat looking at Crysler plans for India.
Its a real shame. Wrangler had a huge potential in the 10L-20L segment as an iconic lifestyle vehicle. Mahindra would surely be delighted with this announcement.
Old 15th January 2014, 12:20   #936
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiatanic View Post
Now this :(
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Its a real shame. Wrangler had a huge potential in the 10L-20L segment as an iconic lifestyle vehicle.
Perhaps I am reading the article in a different light. I don't see the article all that negative for Indian market. The guy is just trying to justify the delay in launch and why he believed that 2013 was not the 'right time'.

To quote the article:
Quote:
Mr. Manley said Jeep is still committed to introducing its vehicles in India, first via imports of completely built units and then gradually to include locally assembled models to compete better with Land Rover, Audi AG, BMW AG and Mercedes-Benz which all assemble their vehicles in India. Locally assembled vehicles attract lower taxes in India than those that are imported as fully built units.
Source
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 12:34   #937
Senior - BHPian

This is sad for enthusiasts who were waiting to see the Jeep in India, but I think it's the right move for Fiat-Chrysler. There was already a danger of the Wrangler and Grand Cherokee being too pricey since they were planned to be brought in via the CBU route. With the sharp decline of the INR against the dollar, I guess the Jeep products would've priced themselves out of the market on the day of the launch itself and earned the "failed brand/product" tag.

The Jeep products wouldn't have been volume sellers anyway given their expected prices, so I don't think the dealers would be too concerned at this point of time. They can also put off investments on Jeep showrooms. I guess the dealers would be more concerned about Punto/Linea refresh and other sub-15L launches which are expected to bring in volumes. I think the current sales of 1000 cars a month between 100 dealers is not good enough to sustain business.
StarrySky is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 13:10   #938
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
Perhaps I am reading the article in a different light. I don't see the article all that negative for Indian market. The guy is just trying to justify the delay in launch and why he believed that 2013 was not the 'right time'.

To quote the article:

Source
Agree, this could be justification for delay, but I don’t agree with reasons Mr Manley is talking about.
Economic slowdown has not impacted Luxury segment in any way, in fact it has clocked double digit growth in 2013 & is expected to continue the climb in 2014.
On one hand Germans are so optimistic (Merc launched several new products in 2013 & plans lot more in 2014) & Chrysler on the other hand feels this is not the right time?

Could there be something else to it?
May be they don't want to launch CBUs & are planning assembly route to price competitively. If this could be the reason, the delay would be worth.
S.MJet is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 13:34   #939
BHPian

Quote:
May be they don't want to launch CBUs & are planning assembly route to price competitively. If this could be the reason, the delay would be worth.
Even I hope this is the reason. I agree that Fiat group needs to be more proactive and aggressive than what they are in Indian market. The word/process "due-diligence" doesn't seem to be a part of their dictionary and work culture. They make announcements and then realise all the challenges associated with the announcement.

I don't endorse their 'point of view' or strategy. The reason behind my post was that I felt many of us were reading only the headline "Chrysler Pulls Back on Plan to Launch Jeep In India" and missing out on reading the entire article. The headline is downright negative for Fiat enthusiasts in India however, the article is not all that negative.
Biraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th January 2014, 14:19   #940
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
On one hand Germans are so optimistic (Merc launched several new products in 2013 & plans lot more in 2014) & Chrysler on the other hand feels this is not the right time?
May be they are getting this vibe about "slow economy" from the Fiat India management who are probably trying it as an excuse to justify their pathetic sales numbers.

With 2 cars in the high volume sub-10L band, they managed to sell just ~8700 - even less than what Audi and Mercedes did last year. All this dealership and service network establishment and similar excuses seem hollow to me since Fiat already has enough network compared to the big Germans.

Last edited by zenren : 15th January 2014 at 14:30.
Old 15th January 2014, 15:06   #941
BHPian

Quote:
May be they are getting this vibe about "slow economy" from the Fiat India management who are probably trying it as an excuse to justify their pathetic sales numbers.
I don’t think India management can misguide to this extent. Fiat headquarters must be well aware of the segment's performance & future potential in India.

I hope Fiat India management & headquarters are mature enough to take ownership & are jointly strategizing long term plans.

Last edited by S.MJet : 15th January 2014 at 15:08.
Old 16th January 2014, 01:08   #942
Senior - BHPian

It only takes Fiat-India to ruin enthusiast hopes in this country. This is all the more unacceptable given that its the same company that boasts of some of the most desirable names and brands any auto-enthusiast would die for, Lancia, Alfa, Ferrari, Jeep. What do we have to be content with a 1.3 MJD engine that does a better job in a Japanese shell. Kudos to Fiat India.
Old 16th January 2014, 08:32   #943
Senior - BHPian

I thought Rupee had climbed against the Dollar, and is hovering around 62-63 Rs per Dollar.

Did Fiat do a market survey and find that there won't be takers for Jeep brand?

Quote:
Wrangler had a huge potential in the 10L-20L segment as an iconic lifestyle vehicle.
Really? Even in its home market, Wrangler is available at twice that price!
Old 16th January 2014, 08:43   #944
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Really? Even in its home market, Wrangler is available at twice that price!
Wrangler price starts from $22395 in US. Where does this info of Wrangler costing twice that come from?

Till I went to bed yesterday, 22500*65=14.62L though I don't know if basic concepts in Maths changed overnight. I'm yet to see today's newspaper!

Link: http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/wrangler...ack&top=no-top

Last edited by zenren : 16th January 2014 at 08:47. Reason: Adding link from Jeep US site for the price
Old 16th January 2014, 08:48   #945
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Wrangler price starts from $22395 in US. Where does this info of Wrangler costing twice that come from?

Till I went to bed yesterday, 22500*65=14.62L though I don't know if basic concepts in Maths changed overnight. I'm yet to see today's newspaper!

Link: http://www.jeep.com/en/2014/wrangler...ack&top=no-top
Could you check the prices of the variants shortlisted for India?
- 3.6L petrol, manual, 4 WD, short wheelbase
- 3.0L diesel, automatic, 4 WD, long wheelbase (Unlimited)

For the feature list, I think Motorbeam and Auto Car India had done test drives, and had listed the features.

EDIT: just thought of mentioning my observation: if any car costs XX thousand Dollars or Euros, it costs approximately XX lakh Rupees in India (in many cases, even for SKDs)

Last edited by rohanjf : 16th January 2014 at 09:08.

Most Viewed