Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th January 2014, 09:14   #946
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohanjf View Post
Could you check the prices of the variants shortlisted for India?
- 3.6L petrol, manual, 4 WD, short wheelbase
- 3.0L diesel, automatic, 4 WD, long wheelbase (Unlimited)
I thought all Wranglers and Unlimiteds in US came with the 3.6L gasoline engine and 4WD. Can you please tell which exact versions are slated for India. I was not aware that they had frozen the exact version and feature list for India even before they decided when to launch it.

BTW, I know the CBU route would typically double the prices for India but I'm confused to hear that the variants slated for India already cost in the range of 20L-40L in US which would translate to 40L-80L as India price!
Old 16th January 2014, 17:22   #947
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Chrysler Delays Jeep Debut in India

Posted: January 16, 2014 at 2:01 am

Chrysler Group LLC tells The Wall Street Journal it has suspended plans to introduce Jeep SUVs in India until the country’s economy revives.

Chrysler intended to begin importing Jeeps last year. But Michael Manley, who heads the Jeep brand, says he shelved the plan because of India’s weakened market.

The Journal notes that Suzuki Motor Corp. has temporarily postponed scheduled construction of a new auto plant in India for the same reason. Car sales in India slumped in 2013 for the first time in 11 years, according to the newspaper.
Old 16th January 2014, 18:02   #948
Distinguished - BHPian

In a way that's a good thing.
We will get the updated Wrangler with better engines and better gearboxes.
Old 17th January 2014, 08:51   #949
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
I thought all Wranglers and Unlimiteds in US came with the 3.6L gasoline engine and 4WD. Can you please tell which exact versions are slated for India. I was not aware that they had frozen the exact version and feature list for India even before they decided when to launch it.

BTW, I know the CBU route would typically double the prices for India but I'm confused to hear that the variants slated for India already cost in the range of 20L-40L in US which would translate to 40L-80L as India price!
Please check older pages of this thread.
When I said "twice", I didn't really mean literally multiplying by 2. We colloquially use "twice" for X 1.85, or even X 1.75

Apart from the 3.6L Pentastar V6, both Wrangler and Grand Cherokee also come with diesel engines.

Wrangler comes with 2766cc DOHC I4 CRD engine, with some 200+ PS power. I think this engine is available only in Europe.
And apologies - rear wheel drive Unlimited is no longer available.

Grand Cherokee is available with 2987cc DOHC V6 CRD engine, with power output of some 240+ PS. If I remember right, this diesel engine is available in Grand Cherokee even in US.

Needless to say, petrol engined Jeeps probably will constitute less than 5% of Jeep's total sales!
Old 17th January 2014, 09:35   #950
Senior - BHPian

ACI reports that launch of Jeep in India would get delayed. Hope Fiat India launches face-lifted Linea soon.

Source
Old 17th January 2014, 11:29   #951
BHPian

Fiat surely is a master at knowing 'how not' to do business in India. Market slump is a word associated with lower end models. Higher end products like the Jeep Grand Cherokee are not market dependent. Note the Mercedes S class which has an on road price of 2 crores virtually selling out the entire stock on launch.

In the real estate sector also, higher end flats are definitely in demand, at least in Chennai as far as I know. The higher the price, greater is the demand among the well heeled. Image & exclusivity alone are the watchwords.

Even in the consumer sector, we read reports of high end televisions outselling the low end ones since it is only at the lower end that the pinch of the rupee is felt.

Also with regard to the updated Linea, the wait seems to be endless and by the time the car is released, other manufacturers will be way ahead. Speed is the need of the hour in all decisions and for achieving success, there has to be a right product at the right time. Right product at the wrong time is a marketing disaster.
thesilentone is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th January 2014, 12:20   #952
Senior - BHPian

IMO Fist is concentrating establishing on the middle class brand - Fiat, in India, an attempt they should have made 10 years back.

However, at appears they are serious this time, & off late they have opened up their 100th dealership in India. It seem to me that they want the momentum on brand Fiat, rather than working on any premium brand & losing the momentum on the bread & butter brand.

Afterall, if they have the logistics & support in place, they will ably support Jeeps & Chryslers in India, rather than damage reputation for being unable to provide decent A.S.S. to buyers.

I hope they don't prove me wrong.
Old 21st January 2014, 09:27   #953
Distinguished - BHPian

Punto Crossover to debut in Auto Expo 2014 as 'Punto Avventure'!

Source:IAB
volkman10 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st January 2014, 10:57   #954
Distinguished - BHPian

IAB speculates FIAT's India plans for 2014.

1. Fiat Punto Avventure - Crossover

2. Punto Abarth - CBU

3. Linea Facelift

4. Punto facelift - could use the Eu design language or resort to minor changes!

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/f...4-plans-113745
Old 21st January 2014, 11:06   #955
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Punto Crossover to debut in Auto Expo 2014 as 'Punto Avventure'!

Source:IAB
Is that a possible typo by someone in IAB that got converted into a scoop? Every other site is mentioning it as Adventure.

EDIT: Check the side profile picture of the green Punto (first pic) in the IAB article. It is clearly written 'ADVENTURE' on the front left door.

Would like to see the guy who thought a typo was a scoop name and repeated it 7 times in that article

Last edited by zenren : 21st January 2014 at 11:13.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 11:17   #956
Senior - BHPian

Jeep’s upcoming entry-level crossover “Jeepster” has been spied for the first time ever in Italy wearing a production body kit with heavy camouflage by Worldcarfans.com. The pics are here:

Fiat's India strategy revealed-jeepentrylevelcrossoverjeepsterspied.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-jeepentrylevelcrossoverjeepsterspiedfront.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-jeepentrylevelcrossoverjeepsterspiedside.jpg
Old 25th January 2014, 11:54   #957
Senior - BHPian

Friends, not a very encouraging news. Got to know this from a close acquaintance in Fiat, Ranjangaon plant. The facelift Linea expected to be launched in the month of March is not going to sport the much awaited 1.6 Ltr multijet. It is going to be the same 1.3 Ltr multijet.
AutoIndian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2014, 19:04   #958
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Friends, not a very encouraging news. Got to know this from a close acquaintance in Fiat, Ranjangaon plant. The facelift Linea expected to be launched in the month of March is not going to sport the much awaited 1.6 Ltr multijet. It is going to be the same 1.3 Ltr multijet.

That is a not a good news at all. If fiat is not able to make a good foothold in spite of having better products is because of their shoddy planning and good for nothing management team.

Sorry to be sarcastic they would be waiting for Maruti to bring in the 1.6 MJD and wait for its success and then claim it is a fiat engine.

I was eagerly waiting for this product and this news is a clear disappointment.

Fiat india why are you guys so shy to bring in your superior products ?
Old 25th January 2014, 23:27   #959
BHPian

If they aren't bringing the 1.6 then fiat would take a serious beating amongst its fans. Most of them are waiting for a powerful linea, while fiat have speculated and garnered interest only through rumours. Bad move fiat.
D'Artagnan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th January 2014, 08:09   #960
Senior - BHPian

Fiat fiat fiat!!

Years ago Uno garnered the highest number of pre-launch bookings, and where is the company today? Fans after fans have been let down by the poor quality and aftersales support. Also by the fact that it seems Fiat is not genuinely interested in the Indian market. We hear news of them bringing Jeep to India and then we hear that may not happen. All that points to a very confused strategy for the Indian market. All this when they already have what the market here wants. They can think of grandiose plans later, but the need of the hour is that 1.6 MJD for Linea and a true Punto sports with the Tjet.

They have what they need to move ahead, yet they don't seem interested in doing what needs to be done. :banghead:
vibbs is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed