Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2014, 08:15   #976
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Well, not only it will increase weight but length will also cross small car norm of the excise resulting in higher rate of duty and increasing price further.
No, actually it wont. ARAI does not take the boot mounted spare wheel into consideration while measuring the length of the car. Best and probably the only example is the Ford EcoSport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
This being posted 'cause it's the thing to bash Fiat or you have any genuine issues with your Fiat ?
I know four people who own / had a FIAT. Two amongst them are extremely happy, as they are finding the spares and general costs very low and are very happy with FIAT, its cars and its service and are in Love right now. One of them is happy and still recommends a FIAT Punto over a Swift for the sheer love of the car and its value.
One friend's Palio unfortunately ran into engine troubles and he broke his head before selling it off for a paltry sum.

But the point here is, it could happen to anyone, I personally know a Ford Fiesta, whose engine blew off, and right now as we are speaking, my neighbour's Santro is celebrating its 50th day at the service centre following a broken crankshaft fiasco!

So, its not just right to point out at one brand and laugh, especially if that manufacturer is taking pains to prove himself in the market. Rather, lets wait for the better / all new products promised!

One sad thing about FIAT cars in India is its resale value, and not much can be done about that, unless people change their outlook about the brand.

Last edited by aravind.anand : 28th January 2014 at 08:18.
aravind.anand is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 09:19   #977
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by HydroFuel View Post
Ha ha ha you made my day man.
Well, not only it will increase weight but length will also cross small car norm of the excise resulting in higher rate of duty and increasing price further.
No it will not. The spare wheel will not be considered as part of the car for such calculations.

Ford ES with spare wheel also crosses the 4 m mark

Cheers

Last edited by i74js : 28th January 2014 at 09:21.
i74js is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 09:37   #978
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This exclusivity no longer applies. Those 16 inch wheels are now standard equipment on the top specification diesel Linea too.
True, but Fiat already used the 195/60/R15 tires for the Top end Punto 90HP. And these set of wheels originally came along with the T-Jet. And recently in an interview Fiat India personnel mentioned that "Look out for changes under the HOOD". And Obviously they would want to make a so called "slow" car even slower.
Regards
Old 28th January 2014, 09:58   #979
Senior - BHPian

The little birdie met me again
Linea in May/ June
Punto in July

no news about what is under the hood. I asked if we could see the letters Abarth this year, but no response there too.
selfdrive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th January 2014, 10:30   #980
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by selfdrive View Post
The little birdie met me again
Linea in May/ June
Punto in July

no news about what is under the hood. I asked if we could see the letters Abarth this year, but no response there too.
Did little birdie disclose what is causing this delay?

Officially Jeep launch has been delayed, any news if they are planning to assemble it here.
Old 28th January 2014, 10:46   #981
Senior - BHPian

More spy pics of the Jeep baby SUV testing in Northern Europe (courtesy Carpoint-Au):

Fiat's India strategy revealed-ge4796167732344829881.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-ge4839208419822677872.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-ge5200712903153174766.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-ge5269417073573683681.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-ge5464989697295153724.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-ge5631652289502928857.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-ge5680022100834647201.jpg

This shares platform with Fiat 500X & will be built at Fiat's Melfi plant in Italy. It is anticipated that either or both may debut at Geneva Auto Show in Mar-14.
CARDEEP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 07:38   #982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I know four people who own / had a FIAT. Two amongst them are extremely happy, as they are finding the spares and general costs very low and are very happy with FIAT, its cars and its service and are in Love right now. One of them is happy and still recommends a FIAT Punto over a Swift for the sheer love of the car and its value.
One friend's Palio unfortunately ran into engine troubles and he broke his head before selling it off for a paltry sum.

But the point here is, it could happen to anyone, I personally know a Ford Fiesta, whose engine blew off, and right now as we are speaking, my neighbour's Santro is celebrating its 50th day at the service center following a broken crankshaft fiasco!
Sir ji... This is just to let you know what i faced. I had a Palio long back. And it ran like a charm. The Palio 1.2 petrol. I sold it to a friend of mine and it had problems from day one. I convinced him saying that it can happen to any used car. So he sold it off (rather i helped him sell it for not much loss). I recommended him a Punto in 2012. First 3 months were cool. Then it started getting minor/major faults like rattling/bearing sounds etc. Even then he was OK as they were rectified free of cost. Recently, after FIAT opened own service center in Kochi (Kerala), I asked him about the car and his reply was "That 6.5L joke is cool. It has been running around without ORVM for 2 weeks now." We had to finally source it from Tvm, Kulathungal Motors.

No I am my friend's favorite enemy. I never wanted to be one. Be it FIAT or TATA or Maruti; a company has to treat it's customers with more respect. A very simple and very important part like ORVM is nowhere to be seen even after 2 weeks, what kind of service are they providing ? 100 new Service Centers ? Who cares... all we need is an ORVM !!! By the way, I really like Punto and might buy one despite the fact that their service is bad. But "aam aadmi" is not like that !
DieselAddikt is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 08:13   #983
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselAddikt View Post
A very simple and very important part like ORVM is nowhere to be seen even after 2 weeks, what kind of service are they providing ? 100 new Service Centers ? Who cares...
Normally it is the dealer's responsibility to store the spares and storing more spares adds to it inventory cost. Hence most of them prefer to keep the stock low. The spares are readily available with Fiat and all the dealer has to do is raise the invoice, procure and charge the customer. If that takes ages, then Fiat need to be told about it. Raise the issue with Fiat on their FB page or write to Mangesh, I am sure the issue will be resolved. Instead if you want to continue ranting against Fiat, you are more than welcome to do so. This would definitely be similar to present aam aadmi who like to complain but dont want to take things in hand.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 08:25   #984
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Normally it is the dealer's responsibility to store the spares and storing more spares adds to it inventory cost. Hence most of them prefer to keep the stock low. The spares are readily available with Fiat and all the dealer has to do is raise the invoice, procure and charge the customer. If that takes ages, then Fiat need to be told about it. Raise the issue with Fiat on their FB page or write to Mangesh, I am sure the issue will be resolved. Instead if you want to continue ranting against Fiat, you are more than welcome to do so. This would definitely be similar to present aam aadmi who like to complain but dont want to take things in hand.
"Normally" it is the dealer's responsibility. And the answer lies in your post. More spares and inventory means more cost. I work for Wal-mart and I know the costs involved in storing vs ordering it on demand. If this was something less prone to damage, we'd not have complained. ORVM is something very important, mandated by law and is very easily damaged. If a service center cannot store such a part in advance, what are they doing ? What if my friend was caught by the police for not having a proper ORVM ? Not using the car for almost 3 weeks was not a practical solution for him. I am not pissed, but I am just arguing. Nothing personal. But this is something that FIAT India is not capable of. Agree that their cars are awesome. I like them... But instances like these can change decisions... for the "aam aadmi", again. I love Punto !!
DieselAddikt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2014, 11:12   #985
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
This being posted 'cause it's the thing to bash Fiat or you have any genuine issues with your Fiat ? ................................

Who cares if they bring in new models this year or the next as long as they are taking good care of existing customers.
As a customer of Fiat, you should care. Because even after strengthening the dealer network and service (hoping positively they are because I don't know), if they don't have volume in sales, Fiat in Italy is obviously going to be concerned about the money they're investing in India and not seing considerable, if not significant returns. Everyone is in this for the money, not for enthusiast's happiness.

2 other points I'll make to emphasis my comment. If 'only' service and dealership count were major selling points, Skoda should have shut shop long ago. But they still sell, about double of Fiat's total sales (YTD Dec 2013) and their vehicles are pricier than Fiat's offerings. Skoda sells because of their vehicle quality and characteristics, not on service dependability. Worse, there are many instances where a customer has 'not been cared for'. And as some members have posted, it isn't looking like all of Fiat's customers are happy or totally cared for (lacking parts, delayed parts, etc.). So only having solid sales and service centres is probably not going to help Fiat all through the way.

And why more models are required. Again, to help Fiat increase its sales and keep itself afloat. Example: Maruti. Why do they have so many cars in the A to B segment? Too crowded, actually (agreed, they're going to do away with a few flop models). But the point is they've crowded themselves with so many models that customer is more likely to select amongst one of their models when one enters their showroom, instead of thinking of going to another manufacturer (and their sales staff probably also do a good job converting). Also before you point out, I acknowledge Maruti, people say, has class leading service setup that helps sell their cars more than the quality of their cars. But it is highly likely Maruti won't be able to retain their market share with just 2 cars, something i'll willing to bet on, whatever their service reputation may be.

End of the day, having great cars outside showrooms won't help if a manufacturer wants to do well in India. And only service doesn't help either. There has to be good range of models that customers can choose from and great service to go with it. Balanced act. Exactly why Maruti is successful and Hyundai is trying to ever increase their market share.

For FIAT to sustain in India, they need more models. And as a customer, it is in your best interest that Fiat sustain in India (I am assuming so). No aurgument to hurt anyone, just observations and comments based on information in this forum and facts.

Last edited by k_ajay : 29th January 2014 at 11:13.
k_ajay is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 19:00   #986
BHPian

Fiat Linea MJD 1.6 confirmed, many people have got calls from showroom. It is supposed to be launched at the Auto Expo.
nkg77 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th January 2014, 22:17   #987
BHPian

Just got to know from an authentic source that 1.6 multijet engine will not be introduced in the new linea 2014, to start with

I think these guys / Fiat better pack up and go back
Old 30th January 2014, 22:30   #988
Senior - BHPian

A member nkrishnap, who is familiar with few individuals in Fiat and knows very closely a dealership or two, is not confident the 1.6 MJD engine is coming on the refreshed/updated Fiat Linea soon. (I'm guessing he's frustrated not know what Fiat is planning/doing, as well).
Old 31st January 2014, 11:54   #989
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_ajay View Post
A member nkrishnap, who is familiar with few individuals in Fiat and knows very closely a dealership or two, is not confident the 1.6 MJD engine is coming on the refreshed/updated Fiat Linea soon. (I'm guessing he's frustrated not know what Fiat is planning/doing, as well).
Ajay, of course what I shared with you over the coffee chat a few weeks back was indeed from a Fiat official and not from the dealership guys. The dealership guys are still in the dark and only Fiat knows why this is being handled this way. With a week to go to have the facelift Linea unveiled during Auto expo, the trainings have started in batches.

On the 1.6 MJD being launched in Linea is not happening any time soon as far as I am aware of. And it is indeed frustrating to know that the engines are available but are not being brought in here when the market is ready is really surprising. I really hope that Fiat really proves me wrong this time and I would be very glad with it.
Old 31st January 2014, 14:05   #990
BHPian

I for one believe that it is a good move by Fiat to not plonk in the 1.6MJD on the Linea. For Aam Aadmi, the Facelift Linea isn't going to bring in any excitement, and even if Fiat advertises the 1.6mjd on it heavily, it still wouldn't garner any interest. The common man is going to only view the Facelift Linea as a dying horse with new steeroids.

Fiat has to forget about the Linea and the Punto for future growth. These cars have brought in a reasonably good faith on the brand and the recent sleuth of sales and service center launches have only added to it.

What Fiat can do is -

- Bring in Fresh exciting products. The Fiat Viaggiao can be the right car to press the accelerator pedal for Fiat. Check the following link out. The car looks quite fresh and with 1.6mjd, it can seriously get into the contention list of a lot of buyers.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/intern...gio-china.html

- Considering Fiat's international portfolio, I don't think they have cars relevant to India at the moment. I don't think bringing in Panda would excite even a few, as the car lacks design appeal. Futuristic designs are the fad now. Owel, round and curvy cars looks dated. I know of guys who have decided on the Ecosports and the Fluidic Vernas without even doing Test Drives.

- Fiat has to look at their group companies' cars at the earliest. The Chryslers, the Dodges, have few products that can make relevance to Indian market.

- Develop a A-B segment car. Fiat being a small car manufaturer and India being a small car country. Fiat should not avoid this segment. With the expertise Fiat will have in the segment, they should think about bringing in a car in this segment at the earliest.

- A small car, A Viaggio, couple of products from the Chrysler and Dart group will set the stable right for Fiat. Jeep Grand Cherokee and Wrangler will only add to the exciting line up.

I understand that there are lot of intricacies involved in the previous statement. But with current lack of India relevant products in Fiat international stable, the road ahead is long and tough, and unless Fiat takes the above gamble, it will be hard for them to compete in the Indian market.

Branching out of Tata, setting up own sales and service centers, show that the company is thinking and willing to make a mark.

With right impetus and well thought out gambles, the company can definitely regain its lost glory.
CliffHanger is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed