Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2014, 15:10   #1276
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by _raVan_ View Post
FIAT's global product plan snapshot:

Attachment 1237894

The Avventura facelift is also planned for APAC region Also, 500X is not planned for APAC.

Source: Here
The product map looks quite weak! For the next 3 years, they have ONLY plans for the new versions of the 2 existing cars. The world would have moved on by then!
Old 7th May 2014, 15:29   #1277
BHPian

Re: Scoop! Maruti SX4 Cross likely to come with Peugeot's DV6 1.6 HDi Diesel engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
There are currently not too good sales for Fiat cars to launch it with a new engine like the 1.6 MJD. I guess Fiat is waiting to know what figures will the Linea garner after which they may launch the 1.6 MJD there. But speaking frankly Maruti will give good sales if this engine is launched in the upcoming models. A Swift Sport with 1.4 P and 1.6 MJD will give good competition to Polo GT TDI and GT TSI.

Anurag.
Which is exactly what has happened and why Fiat refrained from introducing the New Linea with the 1.6 MJD.

I, however, have a different opinion here. With the face lifted Linea, Fiat had ticked every box that was previously unticked - Better Interiors, Check. New Styling, Check. Improved Dealer network, Check. All that it longed for, was a bigger heart. And the bean counters at Fiat killed exactly that!

I cannot begin to imagine what a 1.6 MJD Swift would feel like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Fliat's Global LRP for APAC shows that a D-sedan (next-gen Linea?) is slated only for end 2016.
Yep. Just saw it on the other thread. However, 2 years is a long time to wait for this upgrade. Think about how far ahead the competition will have moved by then.

PS -Sorry for turning this into a Linea discussion. Not Intentional.

Last edited by iceman7 : 7th May 2014 at 15:30.
Old 7th May 2014, 15:33   #1278
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Here is the Fiat's Global LRP (APAC) from India's perspective.

Fiat's India strategy revealed-0_0_0_0_70_http___i_haymarket_net_au_news_fiat_apac_region25.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-0_0_0_0_70_http___i_haymarket_net_au_news_20140507074431_fiat_apac_region23.jpg

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...ns-384815.aspx

Last edited by volkman10 : 7th May 2014 at 15:41.
volkman10 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 15:35   #1279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by desdemona View Post

Imagine getting an authentic Jeep with the t-jet or the 1.6 mjd for 15 lakhs!
If you are talking about the renegade, I doubt whether they will be able to price it around 15L. Should start at around 20L. Also it is too early even to think about Jeep - since Fiat has for the moment shelved plans of Jeep for India. And the European launch of Renegade is almost 8 months to a year away
Old 7th May 2014, 15:59   #1280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
If you are talking about the renegade, I doubt whether they will be able to price it around 15L. Should start at around 20L. Also it is too early even to think about Jeep - since Fiat has for the moment shelved plans of Jeep for India. And the European launch of Renegade is almost 8 months to a year away
Do take a look at the post previous to yours. They have clearly marked 'industrialization' (i.e., local manufacture) under the Jeep heading. The time line says early 2016. I have it from an informed source that the Jeep launch is on for early 2015. Not only is the Renegade colour-coded 'local production' so is the Grand Cherokee! Assembly only I guess, but that is great news too.

For 2016 too is another Fiat launch (the Fiat India version of the Renegade? the 500L? ALL new Linea?)

What is VERY heartening to note is that they are committed to 3 products from the new global b-platform (developed mainly in Brazil, I am guessing). Which means, 2016 onwards there is going to be a major push into the cut-throat (small, cheap, sub-4m) segments.

That is not too slow. For that sort of highly risk-averse and herding-prone customer, the brand and the dealership coverage and ASS quality REPUTATION etc have to greatly further improve. They will have their hands full managing and tuningup all the new dealerships, many more of which are opening this year and next, even as they market the new Linea, new Punto and the Avventura.

The Abarth Punto is coming early next year!

Last edited by desdemona : 7th May 2014 at 16:10. Reason: incomplete
desdemona is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 16:13   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Do take a look at the post previous to yours. They have clearly marked 'industrialization' (i.e., local manufacture) under the Jeep heading. The time line says early 2016. I have it from an informed source that the Jeep launch is on for early 2015. Not only is the Renegade colour-coded 'local production' so is the Grand Cherokee! Assembly only I guess, but that is great news too.

For 2016 too is another Fiat launch (the Fiat India version of the Renegade? the 500L?)
I can see that presentation - but am still skeptical. Fiat currently hasn't got the financial leeway for such a high investment venture. I'll be happy if am proved wrong

The other Fiat's own brand launches sure looks on stream
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 16:58   #1282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallumowgli View Post
I can see that presentation - but am still skeptical. Fiat currently hasn't got the financial leeway for such a high investment venture. I'll be happy if am proved wrong

The other Fiat's own brand launches sure looks on stream
The Ranjangaon JV is profitable, and globally ChryslerFiat group's doing greater than most of the competition. So: the financial frailty that prompted them to depend on Tata is long over.

Now they also have the commitment from the top (Marchionne) to grow in Asia-Pac, which is probably the only weak spot in their global portfolio. They have been, are making strong moves in China too.

All they must do from now on is to work continuously on dealer/ASS quality and reputation building, and of course marketing. They are doing both already well, but they have to keep at it. India is a tough tough market.
Old 7th May 2014, 16:58   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by volkman10 View Post
Here is the Fiat's Global LRP (APAC) from India's perspective.
That looks like the new Punto. Image leaked? Doesnt look similar to the international one.
_raVan_ is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 19:46   #1284
Senior - BHPian

A close up of the aforementioned presentation shows the face-lifted India specific Punto and Avventura models. And I must say both look equally impressive! It's terrific to see FCA bullish on India this time around.

Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiat14.jpg
AyAn! is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 20:14   #1285
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
A close up of the aforementioned presentation shows the face-lifted India specific Punto and Avventura models. And I must say both look equally impressive! It's terrific to see FCA bullish on India this time around.

Attachment 1238101
Nice catch!
The new punto looks very similar to the ones that were spied during testing and the design of the front seems to follow the same style as the new linea.
But, in my opinion, the front grille of the current punto looks much better than this!
SR71-Blackbird is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 20:20   #1286
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Ranjangaon JV is profitable, and globally ChryslerFiat group's doing greater than most of the competition. So: the financial frailty that prompted them to depend on Tata is long over.
I was talking about the financial condition of Fiat Chrysler LLC. Recent financial news about FIAT is not all that rosy, and as such there will not be many who are willing to debt finance them

For eg- check out this

http://www.autonews.com/article/2014...rchionnes-plan
mallumowgli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2014, 20:21   #1287
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Scoop! Maruti SX4 Cross likely to come with Peugeot's DV6 1.6 HDi Diesel engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
But speaking frankly Maruti will give good sales if this engine is launched in the upcoming models.
True that! I guess since MSIL has taken the other route, Fiat doesnt have current plans or might have dropped idea of bringing the 1.6 to Indian market. And yeah why not a 1.6HDi swift? It would also be somewhat fun I think.

The move by fiat to continue the 1.3L in linea is another pointer towards MSIL moving away from Fiat for the bigger engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I clearly do not understand the ideology of garnering good sales as a pre-condition to bring in the 1.6MJD by Fiat. On the other hand if Fiat brings the 1.6 engine in the Linea and their other upcoming products, it should give them decent number of sales. The Tjet engine and the 1.6 MJD will provide an exclusivity to their products in the market.
I think Fiat is not willing to take that risk. Else they could have done it with the recent facelift right? At least if they were to supply engines to MSIL, the return of investment would be guaranteed. However if they got the 1.6 to be plokned into the linea alone, even a two fold rise in sales wouldnt have helped much IMO to compensate the money invested in bringing the engine here. If MSIL were to borrow engines from Fiat, I bet it would have been present on the current Linea as well.

Remember in 2007, the Palio Stile got the 1.3L IIRC slightly ahead of the Swift. But who got the real numbers? They could sustain the production of engines due to the decent performance of the swift in its initial days. Demand grew later for the swift, not initially.

Though I would have personally preferred the MJD in the S-Cross Fiat and MSIL dont seem to have the same plan. In this way, I think its indeed the 1.6HDi for the S-Cross. Regarding the linea, I feel the sales will improve since Fiat has now started to make its prescence more prominent, with their own sales and service network away from Tata dealers, who cant sell their own cars well. So in that line, their plans are also sensible, ie to get the bigger engine sometime later than now once the numbers increase.
Old 7th May 2014, 21:01   #1288
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR71-Blackbird View Post
But, in my opinion, the front grille of the current punto looks much better than this!
I agree, the current Punto as well as the current (2012) European Punto look better than this. But they probably wanted a new look, and/or wanted to share parts with the Avventura as much as possible? In this photo at least, there is not much visible difference between the Punto and Avventura -- roughly similar styling, same length. Perhaps the Avventura has a tad more ground clearance and height. Otherwise it would seem the roof rails and outside-mounted spare wheel are the only things that really distinguish it visually.

But thanks to that spare wheel going outside, the Avventura may in fact have a serious amount of boot space -- already quite generous in the current Punto. It may even be possible to provide foldable children's seats. Let's see.
Old 7th May 2014, 22:37   #1289
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I agree, the current Punto as well as the current (2012) European Punto look better than this. But they probably wanted a new look, and/or wanted to share parts with the Avventura as much as possible? In this photo at least, there is not much visible difference between the Punto and Avventura -- roughly similar styling, same length. Perhaps the Avventura has a tad more ground clearance and height. Otherwise it would seem the roof rails and outside-mounted spare wheel are the only things that really distinguish it visually.

But thanks to that spare wheel going outside, the Avventura may in fact have a serious amount of boot space -- already quite generous in the current Punto. It may even be possible to provide foldable children's seats. Let's see.
Agreed, except that the front bumper will be similar only in shape, it will have a dark grey cladding set on a black base on all body colours, while the Punto will, i think, have body coloured bumpers. That should differentiate it plenty, what say?
Old 7th May 2014, 23:01   #1290
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
I clearly do not understand the ideology of garnering good sales as a pre-condition to bring in the 1.6MJD by Fiat. On the other hand if Fiat brings the 1.6 engine in the Linea and their other upcoming products, it should give them decent number of sales. The Tjet engine and the 1.6 MJD will provide an exclusivity to their products in the market.

The eagerness is clearly on the part of MS to source a competent engine so that they can launch the S-Cross. The sedan is also in the pipeline for which they would require a 1.5/1.6 Ltr. engine.
The 1.5/1.6 mjd is coming, how soon is the only question.

It just may be available at the time of the Avventura launch but more likely early next year; to be used on the Linea, the India-made Abarth Punto and the Avventura, to be followed by use in the India-built Jeep b-/c-Suv.

Fiat India also exports just diesel engines to other Fiat companies abroad. The loss of Maruti's custom for the 1.6 mjd does not mean Fiat India will find it unviable to setup domestic production for it.

Although this thread is about the S-Cross engine, we really need to wonder whether it will be a big seller here. Hormadz of Autocar feels the styling is weak and soft, and unlikely to please, unless the pricing is VERY aggressive.

Most Viewed