Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th July 2014, 17:14   #1576
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Just came back from a Linea T-Jet test drive. Got so excited thought of posting my experience.But got a small bit of info during the test drive from the SA. It seems they are sure that new Punto will be offered with a T-Jet engine as well. Now wont that make the Punto the segment rocker! Today I drove the T-Jet engine for the first time. One word for it. AMAZING. Perfect blend of refinement and power. If the same engine or a smaller CC with the same sort of Turbo setup is offered in the Punto - well what do you know? Maruti if you are listening you better start thinking about the Swift Sport because you are about to be dethroned!
adneo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 17:45   #1577
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Who else miss the old Aston Martin kinda styled front headlamp cluster?
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-fiat_grande_punto_exterior_dsc02714.jpg  

Last edited by Car_Freak_911 : 5th July 2014 at 17:47.
Car_Freak_911 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 21:29   #1578
Senior - BHPian

Fiat's India strategy revealed-10155460_782692841765003_9021702498171610041_n.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-1043858_903193099707580_8806231513585051091_n.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-1888585_782693515098269_8089678899016374558_n.jpg

Fiat's India strategy revealed-new2015fiatpuntoevofaceliftrear.jpg

As an owner of an original giugiaro design, I have always believed in one thing-giving facelifts to timeless designs is always difficult, but considering Indian market's love for flashy things, Fiat has done a very convincing job in bringing a fresh dose of excitement in a 10 year old design. So it gets a new bonnet, fenders, bumper, lights, dashboard and rear bumper and new upholstery. If the weaknesses (niggling issues and sub par acceleration) are resolved, this car will be a complete package. But, I will still agree with the fact that the old one had more personality outside, while the new one has the insides I always wanted at first place. And its high time Fiat gets rid of the "90 HP" badging and labels it as a "sport". If Hyundai can do that why can't Fiat?
sidindica is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 21:33   #1579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
Just came back from a Linea T-Jet test drive. Got so excited thought of posting my experience.But got a small bit of info during the test drive from the SA. It seems they are sure that new Punto will be offered with a T-Jet engine as well. Now wont that make the Punto the segment rocker! Today I drove the T-Jet engine for the first time. One word for it. AMAZING. Perfect blend of refinement and power. If the same engine or a smaller CC with the same sort of Turbo setup is offered in the Punto - well what do you know? Maruti if you are listening you better start thinking about the Swift Sport because you are about to be dethroned!
To me this does not sound exciting or great..! The aam admi does not know nor are they aware of Fiat Tjet etc or care about it.

My multijet returns 13kms in city and 16kms on highway which according to me is bad.. Am not sure why the layman will buy a Tjet compared to a Maruti or Honda etc.
Old 5th July 2014, 21:52   #1580

The car looks nice. The V-lines on the bonnet (though not too prominent) merging near the badge on the new car also point to design cues from the Avventura (which in turn looks similar to a skoda).

Would be great to have alloy wheels and projector lamps optional. Combined with a T-Jet and paddle shifters, Fiat can think of a Punto GT! (if only!).

Looks like spare tires are not alloy - same as Linea. Good to know they didn't carry over the half-baked arm rest idea.
Old 5th July 2014, 23:05   #1581
BHPian

Punto Evo looks awesome. Both interiors and exterior looks refreshing. I hope for all the efforts Fiat is putting in Indian market, Punto evo becomes a big success for them.

Source: TeamFiat
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo1.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo2.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo3.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo4.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-punto-evo5.jpg  

damager21 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th July 2014, 23:54   #1582

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
My multijet returns 13kms in city and 16kms on highway which according to me is bad.. Am not sure why the layman will buy a Tjet compared to a Maruti or Honda etc.
Agree. Fiat should include one variant/engine mapping/mode that focusses on 'Eco-Mode' and FE - even as an optional feature in the existing car. That would surely hit the Indian sweet spot.

But engineering and technology takes time. What they 'can' do is use the opportunity to improve upon their existing customer satisfaction and experience during sales and service one more notch.
Old 6th July 2014, 01:16   #1583
BHPian

Quote:
To me this does not sound exciting or great..! The aam admi does not know nor are they aware of Fiat Tjet etc or care about it.

Well i generally stay away from this sort of mud slinging but to the AAM admi the first thought that comes to their mind is that of the Mumbai Taxi.
Fiat is for people who know their machines and not just the numbers. Thats why Fiats specifically says in their ads "If you love driving, we are still ahead" and not something like "Kitna deti hae"
adneo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 07:58   #1584
BHPian

Quote:

Fiat catering to layman is not going to happen in the near future. Their act is to stabilise the sales for let's say 3k units per month. So in the process, the facelifts are welcome not to mention this is a facelift targeted at India. It shows they are taking India seriously, unlike others who try to push a decade old design hoping the brand name is enough to sell cheap cars. I agree they are making slow moves. And yes T jet is going to cater to niche customers and yes was GT TSI targeted towards lay men . Nah !
Old 6th July 2014, 10:25   #1585
Distinguished - BHPian

While the old design with plain headlamps and steel mesh type grills is a bit too old/bland now (almost a decade), the new design also seems out of place. The cross-suv headlamps on a Punto with a wide open front grill takes away from what it stood for, simple understated design. The only design that I liked was the international version of the Evo which manages the best of both worlds, the grill is effectively hidden by a cladding which houses easy to see indicator lights and the black touches in the headlamps gives it a less-boring sophisticated feel. The roof is gloss black as well

This design seems much more mature and modern and I'm sure many will agree with me. The rubber strips on the side creates some design contrast on what is otherwise a smooth flat panel finish, not to mention practical for countries like India. This design would've been pleasing to everyone and a sure winner.
dark.knight is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 14:00   #1586
BHPian

Quote:

I don't think car returning milage sounds exciting rather than the amazing feel of the torque that rushes through to push your car and your adrenal pumping fast and then you throttle to find the horses working the engine pushing it and then when you car handles like you want it to (unlike hyundai - absolutely no offence just a fact) this is what I call exciting. Not seeing the milage bar every time you get into a car. Come on polo tsi, Fiat tjet, Ford ecoboost these are brilliance and plz don't compromise on these... All Fiat needs is to remove the negatives and need some good branding
Old 6th July 2014, 17:22   #1587
BHPian

Quote:

Your comment would have received a 100 likes, if it was posted in Team-aam-admi.com. But considering the fact that this is Team-BHP.com, am not surprised by all the flak the above comment is receiving. You seriously need to do some soul searching and ponder whether you ended up at the wrong forum and the wrong car. If it would be any comfort to you, you are not alone here, but they are too few and are hard to spot in Fiat/Ford/VW threads. Search around.
blacksport is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2014, 19:19   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark.knight View Post
The only design that I liked was the international version of the Evo which manages the best of both worlds, the grill is effectively hidden by a cladding which houses easy to see indicator lights and the black touches in the headlamps gives it a less-boring sophisticated feel.
I think the facelift to the indian car has been deliberately done this way, different from the international evo. So that, when the Abarth is launched, there is a automatic visual differentiation, not a bad thing for the Abarth Punto planned next.
Old 6th July 2014, 22:33   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacksport View Post
Your comment would have received a 100 likes, if it was posted in Team-aam-admi.com. But considering the fact that this is Team-BHP.com, am not surprised by all the flak the above comment is receiving. You seriously need to do some soul searching and ponder whether you ended up at the wrong forum and the wrong car. If it would be any comfort to you, you are not alone here, but they are too few and are hard to spot in Fiat/Ford/VW threads. Search around.
Polite questions : Is there something wrong being aam-aadmi? Is there anything wrong to expect a complete package from a reputed company? Is there anything wrong in what NFS2024 mentioned about his expectations?

I think this is not the right forum to show off gang mentality of a few hundred so called enthusiasts. Each person has his own priorities, and based on that, he goes for a car of his choice. But just because a person does not own a Fiat/VW/Ford, does not mean that he chose the wrong car or he can not give his opinion in a forum - and it just does not make sense to ask him to do soul searching. As you said rightly, NFS2024 is not alone here, and this is not a Fiat/Ford/VW forum either.
vivekkr_99 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 10:44   #1590
Senior - BHPian

A side by side comparison.
(Image courtesy myfiatworld.com)
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-1404709974295.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-1404709995784.jpg  

schakravarthy is offline   (11) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks