Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2014, 20:58   #1606
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by adneo View Post
...@Swiftnfurious i think you missed the part where i mentioned "If the same engine or a smaller CC with the same sort of Turbo setup is offered in the Punto - well what do you know? Maruti if you are listening you better start thinking about the Swift Sport because you are about to be dethroned!"..
Honestly speaking, Yes! I did miss the highlighted part. However, I was more bothered about your "dethroning" the Swift comment.

Quote:
...Polo GT TSI was never in the same segment as the swift as it was a auto only option and invariably hit a higher price point...
1. So if Fiat brings in Punto with a 1.4L T-Jet, would Swift & Punto be considered to be in the same segment?

2. Will Fiat be able to keep the price point in the current segment or would it go to the Polo GT range?

3. Are we sure there could be a tweaked 1.2L engine on the new Punto?

4. Do we have a confirmed news on the 1.4L T-Jet in a Punto?

We all know the answers. Wouldn't it have made sense to wait a bit more and then make your sweeping statement? Moreover, NOT derive a comparison with another product at all?

Quote:
...But there is no point explaining you i guess as its evident from your alias that you are BIASED!!!...

Quote:
...But that doesnt make me stop hoping that another manufacturer brings in better products.
Everyone in this forum hopes for that! We need and deserve better machines.

Quote:
...And tell you what the swift cannot hold a candle to the Legend it replaced, the Esteem!!! Even without the boot.And the independent rear suspension...
And finally, what relevance has the above statement in this thread?!

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 7th July 2014 at 21:13.
Old 7th July 2014, 21:17   #1607
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Looking at the new pics, I don't know whether I like it or not, maybe mixed feelings. Initial impression, love the front grill. Headlights not to my liking, maybe it will look good with projectors. I like the new interiors, way better than the old one. Too much chrome. I would have preferred a dual exhaust in place of the bumper lights Overall good work, still lacking the wow factor. Maybe it will be different when I see the car in person.
Old 7th July 2014, 21:30   #1608
Senior - BHPian

The transition & Inspiration.

1. Inspired by Maserati
Fiat's India strategy revealed-puncom.jpg

2. Inspired by Jaguar
Fiat's India strategy revealed-compa1.jpg

I'm not sure if the new one looks good. Not a fan of 'vacuum cleaner' like face unless its a 'sleek' car

Pics : Google search

Last edited by HammerHead : 7th July 2014 at 21:31.
HammerHead is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 7th July 2014, 21:33   #1609
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Honestly speaking, Yes! I did miss the highlighted part. However, I was more bothered about your "dethroning" the Swift comment.
That's the problem right there, buddy. There's nothing to be bothered about. This is not personal

Quote:
1. So if Fiat brings in Punto with a 1.4L T-Jet, would Swift & Punto be considered to be in the same segment?
2. Will Fiat be able to keep the price point in the current segment or would it go to the Polo GT range?
3. Are we sure there could be a tweaked 1.2L engine on the new Punto?
4. Do we have a confirmed news on the 1.4L T-Jet in a Punto?

We all know the answers. Wouldn't it have made sense to wait a bit more and then make your sweeping statement? Moreover, NOT derive a comparison with another product at all?
At the risk of steering the thread further away from the topic, despite all the technical differences you stated (and even if the Swift has wings and Punto ends up not having them) what's wrong in guessing that car A if added with so and so feature could/might upstage car B just as you can continue to believe that Swift will continue to rule and absolutely no one can/should question that. This is not about one statement/view being more valid than the other, but it's about respecting some one else' view and responding to it without taking it personally, particularly when it's only hypothetical.

Sorry for sounding like a philosophy teacher, by the way.
prakash_ajp is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 10:15   #1610
Senior - BHPian

Punto Evo is here.

Motorbeam reports that the 2014 Fiat Punto has been given the name plate Punto Evo and models have started arriving at dealerships. These may be the demo cars that could be used for test drives as well as for display purposes.

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/fiat-g...led-punto-evo/

OT - Even with all the 'Sporty Colour options', Chrome, Linea interiors and bigger wheels, I personally think that the pre-facelift Punto looks better.
Vik0728 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 10:29   #1611
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by schakravarthy View Post
A side by side comparison.
The face-lift is really a good looking car. The chrome is a bit excessive, but that is subjective. It loses out only when the old GP is brought into the same frame. That's one classic timeless design! The old GP with the new interiors and a reworked transmission. Now, that will be something!

I really like the Fiat logo on the bonnet though. Its so retro and appealing.
Old 8th July 2014, 10:59   #1612
BHPian

The new Punto is definitely a looker. With new interiors, it is really much better than the previous generation. The problem area however, remains, and that is around the old school transmission and that clutch. As there is no auto/AMT option, even I, being a Fiat fan, won't dare buy their cars just because of the fact that in traffic conditions, I will have to deal with that pathetic set of gearshift and clutch.

Of course this car can take and deserves a much better engine lineup too. A turbo petrol (as is becoming the trend now), will be very well suited. If Fiat could come up with a similar unit to that of Polo's TSi, it will be a hit. If I were in the market, I would go for the upcoming Polo 1.5 TDi FGT, for that lovely combo of slick gearshit and easy clutch.
Old 8th July 2014, 11:35   #1613
Team-BHP Support

As an ex owner of a Punto, I've gotta say the facelift looks fantastic. The old one looks dated now, and the facelift totally changes that from the exterior, as well as the interior. I really hope the T-jet is offered, because if they haven't played around with the gearboxes of the MJD, then I don't see the sales improving a huge amount.

The old design, while still pleasing to the eye, looks a whole generation old now. The new design, if I have to find a fault with it, then it is the height. It looks too raised up.
Akshay1234 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 13:31   #1614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So if Fiat brings in Punto with a 1.4L T-Jet, would Swift & Punto be considered to be in the same segment?

Do we have a confirmed news on the 1.4L T-Jet in a Punto?
Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I really hope the T-jet is offered, because if they haven't played around with the gearboxes of the MJD, then I don't see the sales improving a huge amount.
Let me rest a few speculation on the car :
# The model that is being sent to the dealers is the top end Evo 90HP. The dealer does not have any information about other variants being launched simultaneously. This seems to put to rest the speculation about the 1.4 Tjet in the new car, atleast not now.
# The 90HP has the black interiors, lower variants will have the beige/black interiors like the Linea.
# The car has 195/55/R16 alloys and rear AC vents, both of which are segment first I think.
Sommos is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 13:40   #1615
Senior - BHPian

The new Punto aka Punto EVO is @ Trivandrum.
They might bring in TJet too.
Interiors arent full black; its similar to Linea.
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-altasnf4wkx_j2zg8yo12qhxzmpuvngfwjio2hzpfwhfj.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 13:52   #1616
BHPian

Amazing news Fiat. Two facelifts in a year. I'm floored by what they have done to Punto. The outgoing model already had a beautiful design which according to me is still the best hatch around. And now behold, here comes the new Avatar and i can't believe something so classic & elegant can be taken to an altogether new level. Now waiting for the engine spec. Hope to see the Tjet plonked into a red hot punto.
Old 8th July 2014, 13:56   #1617
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Let me rest a few speculation on the car :
# The model that is being sent to the dealers is the top end Evo 90HP...
So it's gonna be called Evo ?
Old 8th July 2014, 13:58   #1618
Senior - BHPian

Those wheels look really nice

Are these 16" on the Punto?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
The new Punto aka Punto EVO is @ Trivandrum.
They might bring in TJet too.
Interiors arent full black; its similar to Linea.
Old 8th July 2014, 14:19   #1619
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
So it's gonna be called Evo ?
Yes it is called Punto Evo 90HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anachronix View Post
Those wheels look really nice

Are these 16" on the Punto?
Yes they are 16" alloys. The car will come with three different alloys; details not yet confirmed. Buyers will have a option of changing the alloy.
Sommos is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 14:32   #1620
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
The old design, while still pleasing to the eye, looks a whole generation old now. The new design, if I have to find a fault with it, then it is the height. It looks too raised up.
Tinkering around with the GC, eh Fiat?
Was the GC not upgraded somewhere in 2011/12 already?

If GC is even more now, it maybe a rub off from the Avventura. With an eye on the Ecosport of course

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks