Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 8th July 2014, 15:11   #1621
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sommos View Post
Yes they are 16" alloys. The car will come with three different alloys; details not yet confirmed. Buyers will have a option of changing the alloy.
I doubt they will give the 16 inchers to the 75 hp version. I see it as 15 inchers for the regular punto and the 16 inchers for the sport as they call it
Old 8th July 2014, 15:49   #1622
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
I doubt they will give the 16 inchers to the 75 hp version. I see it as 15 inchers for the regular punto and the 16 inchers for the sport as they call it
Thats atleast better than the 14 inches and the skinny JKs in the outgoing model for the 75hp dynamic and active. Then will the avventura get the 17 inches.

The alloy looks great in the pic.
Old 8th July 2014, 16:25   #1623
Senior - BHPian

Yea, i had a good long look at the punto evo while doing the pdi for my tjet Interiors were in beige and not all black as was shown in some pics. Maybe different variants.

Those alloys were yum
deathwalkr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 19:45   #1624
BHPian

How many of you would like a dual exhaust in place of the bumper lights? Any photoshop experts who can try?

Maybe it is meant for that, dual exhaust in Abarth maybe?

Last edited by nim_peter : 8th July 2014 at 19:48.
Old 8th July 2014, 20:23   #1625
BHPian

Only one word for the refresh: WOW!

This is a whole lot of a better job than the Linea refresh. For me, deciding between the earlier Punto and the VW Polo would have been a tough call. The refresh makes things much easier.
While the exterior is a step up from what what already very pretty, the new interiors are, a world apart.The only letdown now is the Palio-derived gearbox that puts all steam out of the engine. I wish Fiat had addressed this too.

In the image shared by jkdas, the Punto under the cover has a much nicer alloy wheel design than the one in the other pics. Is this some special variant?
Fiat's India strategy revealed-altasnf4wkx_j2zg8yo12qhxzmpuvngfwjio2hzpfwhfj.jpg
Old 8th July 2014, 21:02   #1626
Senior - BHPian

The car has made its way to the stockyard at Mysore. According to the supervisor there, it'll be displayed at the showroom tomorrow. These pics were sent over by a friend who had been to the bodyshop present on the same the premises.
By the way, when is Fiat planning to advertise the car? Next year??

Edit- my friend was told by the person in-charge of the stockyard that the gear ratios have been changed. I dunno how true that is, but if true, its indeed a welcome move!

Ps- Why no fuel/variant badges?
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-1404833147079.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-1404833156480.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-1404833168854.jpg  

Last edited by schakravarthy : 8th July 2014 at 21:08.
schakravarthy is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 21:22   #1627
BHPian

Outstanding job for an upgrade. This should be used as a case study for most other car manufacturers in India on "how to do an upgrade - looking beyond sticker jobs".

While I like everything they have managed to do with the car visually (with some reservations on chrome garnish), the best part is lack of stickers. A very clean looking car.

I can understand the split opinions on the external appeal. I feel it also has to do with the colour. For example, IMHO black would look absolutely fantastic in the new one.

But overall, a very desirable car to have. The only reason I did not buy a Punto when selecting my car were

1. Fit and finish + did not like dashboard design
2. Tata A.S.S (they hadn't separated by then)
3. Sluggish petrol engine with poor city driveability

So I am among the majority here waiting and hoping for a TJet variant.
vivekz is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 21:23   #1628
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post
How many of you would like a dual exhaust in place of the bumper lights? Any photoshop experts who can try?
Those would be a bit big for a small hatch IMO. Used MS Paint to blacken out the fogs:

Fiat's India strategy revealed-new2015fiatpuntoevofaceliftrear.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-77 View Post
In the image shared by jkdas, the Punto under the cover has a much nicer alloy wheel design than the one in the other pics. Is this some special variant?
Unsure about the variant but those were spotted on the scoop shots previously.

Links - 1, 2

Those are 15 inchers IINM.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 8th July 2014 at 21:38.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 21:35   #1629
BHPian

Beautiful upgrade! Now I am in a real quandary if to buy this, the new Polo GT, Ecosport or the Zest! What a choice to make.
Old 8th July 2014, 22:09   #1630
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nim_peter View Post

Maybe it is meant for that, dual exhaust in Abarth maybe?
Nope that place is meant for lights. Indian version has some black and chrome stuff added.

Picture of a Punto Evo I snapped in Austria for reference:

Fiat's India strategy revealed-img_3105.jpg
SunnyBoi is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2014, 23:19   #1631
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekz View Post
3. Sluggish petrol engine with poor city driveability
I'm not sure I understand this one: I have the 1.2 petrol version and the driveability is as good as you can want in a city. Excellent pickup, no problem accelerating to pass a vehicle at any city speed. It becomes sluggish above 120 km/h, but I don't generally exceed that even on the highway.

I see lots of complaints about the diesel Punto (compared with the Swift) here on team-bhp, and generally assumed it was because of the heavier body and an engine tuned for the poor-quality fuel in India (I have driven a diesel Punto in Italy and it was perfectly responsive).
Old 8th July 2014, 23:31   #1632
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I'm not sure I understand this one: I have the 1.2 petrol version and the driveability is as good as you can want in a city. Excellent pickup, no problem accelerating to pass a vehicle at any city speed. It becomes sluggish above 120 km/h, but I don't generally exceed that even on the highway.
Sure. It may not have suited my driving style. Could be a factor of gear ratios as well. For that matter, I found even Swift not suitable for my style in city, found it a bit too peaky.

In the Punto, I felt the movement was slow which could be a simple matter of getting used to. I own a Polo 1.2 petrol and it surely is not the most powerful and smooth engine. But I found it adequate for my driving syle, and also good enough on highway till 105-110 after which it feels strained, but then there is no need to go faster.

Slightly OT, my fav engine is i10 1.2 but then you buy the entire package, not just the engine

Coming back to Punto, I have not driven the 1.4 FIRE but given the specs I don't know why it is not rated better (apart from poor FE)

Last edited by vivekz : 8th July 2014 at 23:32. Reason: Adding another issue
Old 9th July 2014, 08:44   #1633
Senior - BHPian

I am disappointed that the tail lamp cluster is not an led unit. Looks like bulbs in there.

The 1.2l Grande Punto is terrible when it comes to power. I have driven a 1.2l extensively. The car has excellent road manners and the chassis is built to thrill. The 1.2l engine will never give you a chance to explore that beautiful chassis though. For that matter I feel that the 90hp diesel variant is also quite lame. Its an engine that needs to be worked to perform, thanks to the lousy gearbox too. Though the 1.4l isn't an exciting engine in any sense of it, I'd still pick this over the diesel twins.

I also hate it when you call something an EVO when there is nothing EVO about it.
sandeepmohan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 09:12   #1634
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I am disappointed that the tail lamp cluster is not an led unit. Looks like bulbs in there.
The red curvy border at the side is full of led. Same as u see in recent audi/merc. Tail lamps. Check the car in real. Tail lamp looks amazing at night.
tushky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2014, 09:25   #1635
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
I also hate it when you call something an EVO when there is nothing EVO about it.
We can call it a poor man's EVO, may be?

The truth is we Indians (most people that is) don't have an appetite for energetic and fuel thirsty cars. I have seen people pushing the car hard (when the car encourages them i.e.) and then complain about poor mileage. My neighbor is an example - he only has a Vista (90), but he is heavy on accelerator and brake but unhappy that he only gets 16-17 kmpl, whereas I get around 19-20 for similar driving conditions with my Linea.

Most Viewed