Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th July 2014, 10:21   #1651
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul412 View Post
If reports are to be believed the Toyota Etoss cross has received 5600 booking & is carrying a waiting period of 3 months. . Good opportunity for Toyota to clear all unsold Livas by simply adding plastic claddings. On a serious note if Etioss Cross can receive a booking of 5600 there is no reason why Fiat Avventura ( which is a much much better car ) cannot just score double of that.I see 10K as a realistic target for Avventura
You're forgetting that Fiat is a nobody and Toyota is a market leader (except for Etios twins) when it comes to sales figures statistics.. Thus, people will have no issues flocking to Toyota, backed by their reputation of being reliable whereas Fiat is unknown/unfamiliar territory plus previous strategy disasters are probably still etched in the minds of Indians.

As member itsashishsharma has said, Avventura cannot expect great numbers out of the gates. If it sells decently, that itself will be cause for Fiat to celebrate.

Last edited by k_ajay : 10th July 2014 at 10:22.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 11:23   #1652
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed. Abarth, Jeep, new Linea & Punto coming. More insi

Quote:
If reports are to be believed the Toyota Etoss cross has received 5600 booking & is carrying a waiting period of 3 months. .

Good opportunity for Toyota to clear all unsold Livas by simply adding plastic claddings. On a serious note if Etioss Cross can receive a booking of 5600 there is no reason why Fiat Avventura ( which is a much much better car ) cannot just score double of that.I see 10K as a realistic target for Avventura
Etios Cross is a lovely car.. just about 50K-1L overpriced. Also, interesting that there is not a single ownership or buying thread on Team-BHP, this should also tell us all the strong comments here about a car or its rival may not be totally representative.
Old 10th July 2014, 13:40   #1653
BHPian

As per IAB, Fiat has launched Punto face lift in Indonesia with AMT

What are they thinking for India, especially looking at the excitement & popularity AMT has created here, courtesy Celerio & Zest.

Source:http://indianautosblog.com/2014/07/2...donesia-136583

Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
Fiat's India strategy revealed-2014fiatpuntoindonesiadashboard.jpg  

Fiat's India strategy revealed-2014fiatpuntoindonesiafront.jpg  

S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 13:42   #1654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I see 10K as a realistic target for Avventura
10k a month ? Absolutely totally and honestly utterly unrealistic.

After the initial hype dies down, if it sell 1500 month on month, Fiat will be more than happy. They dont sell 1500 a month with both Punto & Linea combined.
vinit.merchant is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 13:46   #1655
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scofield View Post
What mechanical issues ? I have done 80K in my 90 hp and haven't faced any mechanical issue despite driving through all the extreme terrains .

I would rather say that in its class Punto is the most sorted car mechanically after driving all the cars in the b+ segment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Am assuming he is referring to the infamous gear ratios and turbo lag.
Hi Scofield,

NFS2024 is right. I was indeed talking about the gear ratios as well as the ECU based tuning of torque/power curves. These issues are fairly mechanical (atleast 1 is) and are some major drawbacks (product related) in the Punto. These have been discussed in great detail on this forum as well as several others and i hope these are sorted out.

IMHO, it is important for the company to sort out issues with the product as well as other company related ones. And sorting out the product based issues will definitely be easier for FIAT than the others.
Old 10th July 2014, 14:14   #1656
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How did you arrive at these Un'realistic' figures?
Fiat's 3 cars in the current lineup are not able to sell 1000 each per month!

Fiat's brand value is low for the moment that people are hesitant to buy even when the cars are wonderful.

They should be contented if they can sell 3000 cars a month in total(2014 Punto+2014 Linea+Avventura+Linea Classic+may be Punto Classic).

IMO, If they have to sell more, Fiat has to make a small change. Replace the FIAT logo with a Suzuki logo or a Toyota Logo
Old 10th July 2014, 14:18   #1657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
If they have to sell more, Fiat has to make a small change.
For starters, improve the service quality. Launch models thick and fast, not wait for an year to see the market conditions and then decide. Get those monstrous Jeeps ASAP. Let people know that a brand called Fiat exists in India.

Or else be content selling the MJD's.
Old 10th July 2014, 14:24   #1658
Senior - BHPian

And we've done the same act of jumping on someone to either defend or display stupidity. Where has Rahul412 explicitly said it's 10K a month?

Let's relax a little, please?

Last edited by k_ajay : 10th July 2014 at 14:27.
k_ajay is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 14:25   #1659
BANNED

It is very hard to predict how well the Avventura will sell, and I doubt that even if it is a hit, there will be a spillover effect on the Linea. Look at the Duster -- Renault came out from nowhere with a bestseller (that too a rebadge of a Dacia), but it had almost no effect on the sales of their other products. Ford's Ecosport and Figo too had little effect on Fiesta (old/classic) sales, and Fiesta New was a disaster on the market. Even Maruti struggled to sell SX4, a fine car by all accounts. How well the Avventura sells depends very strongly on how it is priced. In terms of size the Ecosport is the closest competitor.

I think, also, that the Linea falls behind in terms of looks: the original looked nice enough, but nowhere near as striking as the Punto, while the new Linea is visually inferior (in my opinion). The new Punto and Avventura look much more promising.
rsidd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 14:35   #1660
BHPian

Quote:
If they sell 10k in a month, they would recover whatever operational losses that have occurred over past few years and would wrap up India operations and disappear.

Not even Fiat India's top honchos can get to that figure of 10k in there dreams buddy.
Bubby is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th July 2014, 15:54   #1661
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post
IMO, If they have to sell more, Fiat has to make a small change. Replace the FIAT logo with a Suzuki logo or a Toyota Logo
I have a better suggestion, they can replace the Fiat badge with Chrysler!
Old baggage of Fiat will be gone & people will accept the new brand!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I think, also, that the Linea falls behind in terms of looks: the original looked nice enough, but nowhere near as striking as the Punto, while the new Linea is visually inferior (in my opinion). The new Punto and Avventura look much more promising.
Looks are subjective!
Exterior wise, there is not much change in the New Linea except for new grill, redesigned bumper & chrome. And I like it...
Interior is completely revamped and fresh, better than the Punto Evo even!

Last edited by finneyp : 10th July 2014 at 15:55.
finneyp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 07:59   #1662
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp View Post
I have a better suggestion, they can replace the Fiat badge with Chrysler!
That will be disaster. What ever said and done, Fiat as a brand has great affection and loyalty from a niche segment.

Fiat India just need to get their products aligned to this segment' needs. Like Yamaha did when they ditched the commuter segment and went after the enthusiasts. And I believe this is happening, but Fiat needs to make things happen faster and much earlier. They are too slow for their size and numbers.

On the other hand, I don't there are many Chrysler fans out there.
deetjohn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th July 2014, 08:14   #1663
BHPian

The Indonesian variant retains the charm of the earlier generation exterior design with the updates on the inside. Just the adequate amount of facelift IMO.
It also hides the windshield washer unlike the Indian facelift where it comes on the hood.

And I already like Indonesia for not being chrome obsessed. .
Old 11th July 2014, 08:25   #1664
Senior - BHPian

http://www.motorbeam.com/cars/fiat-g...2014-in-india/

Motorbeam reports that Punto Evo will be launched in August. Then why are they delivering new models to dealerships right now? They probably are expecting huge demand in the initial months, and don't want to have any backlogs. They cannot increase the production capacity either, because demand will be temporary.

Since it is pretty much confirmed that existing lineup of engines will be carried forward, that too with manual transmission only, I feel Fiat has missed another chance. Are they aiming at common customers with all that chrome and small (fuel efficient) engines? They aren't. They can't, because they can never beat with Maruti or Hyundai, or even Tata. They aren't, as there is no automatic or even AMT on offer.

Are they aiming at enthusiasts? No, not with these engine options.
Old 11th July 2014, 09:17   #1665
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by avingodb View Post
The Indonesian variant retains the charm of the earlier generation exterior design with the updates on the inside. Just the adequate amount of facelift IMO.
Actually, it looks identical to the Punto 2012 (Europe model).

Most Viewed