Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2015, 20:03   #2251
BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_cr View Post
But Ill stay away from any Fiat until the improve their service. The horror stories are never ending - trust me, I own both Linea and Punto.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I've had a Punto for five years and no issues with service, either with Concorde Motors at the beginning or with Ramkay now.
One of my good friends own a Fiat Linea for a while now and he initially used to have issues with service. He told me that later he had moved to Concorde Motors and the service improved considerably thereafter (since that's a wholly owned subsidiary of TML). After the Tata-Fiat divorce, he initially faced some issues with spare parts, but no issues with behavior and other service related malpractices.
I remember that he had some issues in one of the parts (can't remember now which one) that would cost 20K up. They made him go around for over two weeks and then he lodged a complaint with the company through their website. Immediately, Fiat responded and someone came down to Bangalore with the spare specially for him. Now it will depend on you how you want to read this story (positively or negatively), but I would say that things are improving. What's not improving (and I've been a bit vocal about it) are the sales pitches - as if they don't care if we but their car or not.
All this, mind you, are experiences from Bangalore. The sales pitch is my experience from their new showroom on Inner Ring Road.
So if at all, they first need to get the right sales guys to go after the customers. The rest would fall in place. After all, Fiat is a much older and better known brand in India than most (if not all) of its Euro-American peers.
IndiFuture is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st October 2015, 20:22   #2252
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by car_cr View Post
But Ill stay away from any Fiat until the improve their service. The horror stories are never ending - trust me, I own both Linea and Punto. Even Renault is better currently than them currently in service. The cars are gems but what is the use?
I am sorry to hear that you had poor service from Fiat but my experience is just the opposite in Chennai.

I own a Linea and the service from Ramkay Fiat has been very,very good. They even replaced my Clutch and Brake Disk under warranty @30K run with no questions asked.

They have most of the parts under stock and some parts (like Tail lamp cluster which some biker broke) which they did not have , was ordered and came within the stipulated time (took around 5 Days).Spare Parts are also reasonably priced (for MJD, TJET is more expensive).

Definitely someone like Maruthi would/should be better but Fiat service is not bad per se.
Aceman82 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 10:50   #2253
Distinguished - BHPian

For all the lovers of the Indian Grande Punto, here is a scoop:

- The Grande Punto will be making it's return to the Fiat dealerships in a price slot below the Punto Evo.

- This new "entry-level" Punto might be called either the Punto Prime or the Punto Classic. Name is under deliberation right now.

- It will be powered by the same 1.2L, 1172cc, SOHC FIRE engine producing 68 PS of power & 96 Nm of torque.

- Pricing is expected to start from 4 lakhs - 4.25 lakhs. Expect 2 variants at the most.

- Expected to go on sale from January 2016 onwards.
RavenAvi is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 10:57   #2254
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post

- The Grande Punto will be making it's return to the Fiat dealerships in a price slot below the Punto Evo.

- This new "entry-level" Punto might be called either the Punto Prime or the Punto Classic. Name is under deliberation right now.

- It will be powered by the same 1.2L, 1172cc, SOHC FIRE engine producing 68 PS of power & 96 Nm of torque.

- Pricing is expected to start from 4 lakhs - 4.25 lakhs. Expect 2 variants at the most.

Point less launch in my opinion. Unless they have the diesel variant which is solely intended at the taxi market like the OLA and Uber. I do not see too many private white board buyers going for this one.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 11:01   #2255
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Heard this from a very reliable source. Initially I thought it was a very bad move.

However-

When Linea got renamed as Classic, new Linea got TJet petrol and 90hp diesel options, while Classic got only the 75hp diesel option.

I have a feeling FIAT is bringing back the old Punto as Classic to retain the value card with only 1.2l petrol and 75hp diesel options, while giving the TJet petrol to the Evo. Currently there is a huge gap between the 1.4NA petrol and the Abarth Punto so that they can easily introduce a normal TJet variant in there.

Hope they are also thinking the same thing.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 11:36   #2256
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Point less launch in my opinion. Unless they have the diesel variant which is solely intended at the taxi market like the OLA and Uber. I do not see too many private white board buyers going for this one.
FIAT for taxi market these days!?
I don't think so!
There is a market among private buyers, for previous versions, for the classic looks, and this is what manufacturers try to take advantage of. The low price advantage of the previous versions also attract the buyers.
This is the same strategy adopted by companies such as Nissan (Micra Active, the previous version Micra, along with the new Micra), Ford (Classic, the previous gen Fiesta, along with the new Fiesta), Maruti (Alto & 800) keeping both the versions on sale simultaneously.
Many love Grande punto for its looks, more than the current Evo. So, I think no harm in bringing back the same, and place it at a lesser price point. It will bring some necessary sales for the FIAT.
It will be interesting to have many variations of Punto on sale! - Grande Punto + Punto Evo + Abarth Punto + Avventura + Abarth Avventura.
hybridpetrol is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 11:43   #2257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Heard this from a very reliable source. Initially I thought it was a very bad move.

However-

When Linea got renamed as Classic, new Linea got TJet petrol and 90hp diesel options, while Classic got only the 75hp diesel option.

I have a feeling FIAT is bringing back the old Punto as Classic to retain the value card with only 1.2l petrol and 75hp diesel options, while giving the TJet petrol to the Evo. Currently there is a huge gap between the 1.4NA petrol and the Abarth Punto so that they can easily introduce a normal TJet variant in there.

+1
Also for advertising sake, they can say, Fiat Punto starts at 4.29 Lakhs* which might get some footfalls.

on a lighter note, My extinct car is back to life!
Old 26th October 2015, 12:07   #2258
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
FIAT for taxi market these days!?
I don't think so!
There is a market among private buyers, for previous versions, for the classic looks, and this is what manufacturers try to take advantage of. The low price advantage of the previous versions also attract the buyers.
This is the same strategy adopted by companies such as Nissan (Micra Active, the previous version Micra, along with the new Micra), Ford (Classic, the previous gen Fiesta, along with the new Fiesta), Maruti (Alto & 800) keeping both the versions on sale simultaneously.
Many love Grande punto for its looks, more than the current Evo. So, I think no harm in bringing back the same, and place it at a lesser price point. It will bring some necessary sales for the FIAT.
It will be interesting to have many variations of Punto on sale! - Grande Punto + Punto Evo + Abarth Punto + Avventura + Abarth Avventura.
Agreed from a marketing point of view, having the older versions as classic along side the next generation/facelift works for most manufacturers who have decent volume. However, Fiat is far from having any meaningful volume. Remember the Linea Classic is almost dead, only sales happening are to the taxi market. There are deals which are being worked out with Uber and Ola to supply Puntos (Grande Punto in the base variant to keep the costs down)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post

However-

At least initially Fiat should not get the Tjet in the regular punto Evo at least for the next 2 quarters, it will kill the prospects of the Abarth. How much lesser can Fiat price the older Punto compared the 1.2 Punto Evo, hardly 20-30K. It would only cover price points from 4.xx lakhs to 9.95 lakhs now with various Punto Variants.
Old 26th October 2015, 13:08   #2259
BHPian

Quote:

If this is meant only for the fleet taxi market, then it might make sense to garner some volumes. Importantly, Fiat should consider adding ABS & Airbags to the lower and middle variants of the Evo as they are missing out a lot of sales for those two versions from buyers wanting safety features. To make matters difficult, the price jump is substantial for the top variant.
Old 26th October 2015, 13:57   #2260
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemanth.anand View Post

on a lighter note, My extinct car is back to life!
Would you really want a better reason to upgrade your 'Extinct' car to an 'Exquisite EVO' (T-Jet) hemanth ??

Jokes aside, I have seen quite a few of Punto EVO's on yellow registration plates. Initially I assumed that it was the same car, but realised they were of 2 different shades. So I think, though not the most preferred/sort after hatch by the taxi folks, Punto may just draw numbers if priced desirably.

As CrAzY dRiVeR has predicted, if FIAT do launch the Punto Classic (?), I for one think that it can be classified as below:

- Punto Classic (1.2 FIRE and 1.3 75hp MJD) - Active variants
- Punto EVO (1.4 T-Jet and 1.3 90HP MJD) - Dynamic & Emotion variants

At least until the 1.6MJD happens, the EVO Abarth 1.4 T-Jet will be the most premium offering, just like the GT's are for VW.

Last edited by Vik0728 : 26th October 2015 at 14:01.
Vik0728 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 14:17   #2261
BHPian

They should just offer a 2 door version and offer a sat nav system for the amount saved! That will be a good deal for under 4L!
kvish is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 14:47   #2262
Senior - BHPian

That's what I predicted sometime back in reply to your post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3830384

While we can have Dzire Tour, Fiesta Classic, i10 selling side by side to their upgrades, whats wrong if Fiat trying it out.
Linea Classic was partially aimed at Kolkata Taxi market, maybe same for Punto. I have seen A-Star, Swift, Beat and other cars without big boot as taxis, so what's wrong with Fiat.
Maintenance is low, robust build and proven engine, what else Taxi segment requires, added Bonus is wonderful handling. Even older Padminis (referred to as Fiats) were synonym for taxi in Bombay.
Quote:

Old 26th October 2015, 15:59   #2263
BHPian

Since Fiat is good two years away for any new product launch, this can fill the gap, keep up the excitement & bring some additional business for dealers.
Punto is still a good looking design, will give them opportunity to distinguish EVO with T-Jet (as mentioned by CD) while Abarth can continue as a niche, albeit affordable product targeted at pure enthusiasts.

On another note I strongly feel 1.6 Mjd on Linea (and may be EVO) will also makes good sense, especially after S-Cross.
Many of my friends/colleagues swear by FIAT build quality but are disappointed by power on offer. Sales chart may not be set on fire but will attract good attention (as Abarth has generated) and help enhance brand value.

Last edited by S.MJet : 26th October 2015 at 16:00.
S.MJet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2015, 22:47   #2264
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
They should just offer a 2 door version and offer a sat nav system for the amount saved! That will be a good deal for under 4L!

I have always wondered, why are so many cars that are offered as 2-door options in Europe sold only as 4-door here? Back in the day the Standard (Triumph) Herald was sold as a two door, but that is the only example in India that I can think of, and then they made it 4-door and renamed it the Gazel, and it died soon after. In those days only families with kids *and* grandparents bought cars and it was believed that a 2-door car would not appeal to the elderly. Does such logic still hold today, if a 2-door car comes with a significant discount?
Old 27th October 2015, 01:14   #2265
Senior - BHPian

I think it still holds true else till now how come no manufacturer has launched it while rolling out few spot-on products like Creta, Celerio, etc.
Also in the thread mentioned in the link there is a mention of same problem highlighted by you in one of the post.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3826304

How much discount is significant ? How will it be possible for the manufacturer to reduce the price by just making two doors fixed. Then it will be mentioned again and again that 'just by paying xyz amount more you get a 'proper' hatchback.

Few cars come to my mind which should've looked good as a 2-door option is A-Star, Beat, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsidd View Post
I have always wondered, why are so many cars that are offered as 2-door options in Europe sold only as 4-door here? Back in the day the Standard (Triumph) Herald was sold as a two door, but that is the only example in India that I can think of, and then they made it 4-door and renamed it the Gazel, and it died soon after. In those days only families with kids *and* grandparents bought cars and it was believed that a 2-door car would not appeal to the elderly. Does such logic still hold today, if a 2-door car comes with a significant discount?

Most Viewed