Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2017, 13:54   #2401
Senior - BHPian

Re: Fiat's India strategy revealed

It's deal time. I picked a 2011 Tjet+ in 2012 for almost the same price as what it was invoiced to the dealer by the manufacturer. Had all the liquids changed as well as the battery as part of the deal and a full tank of petrol along with all temp. registration charges thrown in complete with first year 0 depreciation insurance. I flew down from Dilli to Bombay to pick up the vehicle and even after the round trip expenses it was a hoot of a bargain given the price and the experience was enhanced by the pleasure of driving a brand spanking new vehicle on the highway, especially after the initial 1000 kms that came up around Himmatnagar (having driven the car a fair bit in & around Bombay during my 3 day stay). The best part is I sold the car after 4 years of fun filled driving for a shade below the purchase price and this after the car was depreciated in my account books.

Now, it's your turn to have some fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S2!!! View Post
........Opinions?
khoj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:32   #2402
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
For all those who have their eyes on the white 2015 Abarth Punto, the max discount available is approximately 1.70L i.e. 11.46L on-road Mumbai (-) 1.70L = Rs 9.76L.

Before you get excited and jump out of your seat to head to the Fiat showroom, please realize that it's a 2015 manufactured unit of a model that's not received a very favorable response from the market. It'll be a depreciation disaster at the time of resale as its already 2 years old, even before it leaves the showroom. I'm only interested to take the plunge if I'm getting compensated for the depreciation hit upfront. Some might call this price a steal, but in my opinion at least a lakh more off is a good deal.

Opinions?
Agree at least a lakh more would sweeten the deal. However, you may not want to let the car go unless its a lemon. Negotiate hard and have fun with the punchy motor.
nkrishnap is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:51   #2403
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
For all those who have their eyes on the white 2015 Abarth Punto, the max discount available is approximately 1.70L i.e. 11.46L on-road Mumbai (-) 1.70L = Rs 9.76L.
Some might call this price a steal, but in my opinion at least a lakh more off is a good deal.

Opinions?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Agree at least a lakh more would sweeten the deal. However, you may not want to let the car go unless its a lemon. Negotiate hard and have fun with the punchy motor.
From my last interaction with a service advisor 10 days ago I've learnt that the 2015 Abarth Punto is available for as low as 8 lakhs (ex-showroom I guess).
Lij is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:21   #2404
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lij View Post
From my last interaction with a service advisor 10 days ago I've learnt that the 2015 Abarth Punto is available for as low as 8 lakhs (ex-showroom I guess).
Could you share the details or number of this person either here or via PM? Add registration cost of 90000 + 45000 insurance to the Rs 8 lakh ex-showroom price and that brings the price to Rs 9.35 lakh. So that's another Rs 40000 off over and above the quote I received. Still a bit high IMO
S2!!! is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:59   #2405
BHPian

Quote:
Lij, any idea about the price of 2016 models?

Quote:
Could you share the details or number of this person either here or via PM? Add registration cost of 90000 + 45000 insurance to the Rs 8 lakh ex-showroom price and that brings the price to Rs 9.35 lakh. So that's another Rs 40000 off over and above the quote I received. Still a bit high IMO
S2!!!, I believe the insurance would cost ~30k if done outside. You have another 15k in hand there.
theredliner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 14:09   #2406
Lij
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theredliner View Post
Lij, any idea about the price of 2016 models?
No idea theredliner. Not sure if they even have 2016 stock. As per this post from nkrishnap doesn't seem so.
Lij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 16:44   #2407
BHPian

The service advisor at the Fiat floor that I talked today was hinting about Tipo coming soon. This was when I probed a bit about the existing models (Punto evo, Linea) grinding to a halt.
Sks_Biker is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2017, 09:33   #2408
BHPian

Quote:
No idea theredliner. Not sure if they even have 2016 stock. As per this post from nkrishnap doesn't seem so.
Can you please try to collect more info about the price of 2015 models from the service advisor you mentioned?
Old 4th April 2017, 10:03   #2409
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sks_Biker View Post
The service advisor at the Fiat floor that I talked today was hinting about Tipo coming soon. This was when I probed a bit about the existing models (Punto evo, Linea) grinding to a halt.
Must be google knowledge, same as us. There is no way a service advisor will be fully aware of future launches, unless the training actually start for the model launch.
Old 4th April 2017, 16:20   #2410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Must be google knowledge, same as us. There is no way a service advisor will be fully aware of future launches, unless the training actually start for the model launch.
Quite possible that you are right but it is sad seeing a good product portfolio being wasted (along with proper marketing and support).

I was more interested in the Jeep Compass launch from FCA, well that's just about a week's wait!
Old 7th April 2017, 23:51   #2411
BHPian

Re: Actual Revenues & Profits of car manufacturers (via company filings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Nice thread smartcat. Thanks for sharing. Quite an eye opener. Especially for VW and Fiat. Fiat of course makes money from the engines. I assume a lot of the VW margin comes from Audi. Apart from that I assume they will have nice fat margins on the Polo/Vento/Rapid. Considering these are 7 year old models, I think they have the Bill of Materials and manufacturing process perfectly optimized. The new features they are don't cost them much from an engineering perspective since most stuff is plug and play and available in the global models. And of course the prices keep increasing.

Ford probably would be disappointed. With new models like the Figo/Aspire and the Endeavor launched in the recent past, still seem to be struggling to generate the revenues proportionate to the effort being put in to crack the India market (compared to VW and Fiat).

Like GTO mentioned, Toyota is surprising. One would have thought they make huge margins from the Innova and Fortuner.
Based on this data - how does it affect all the rumours about FIAT shutting shop going around in some threads - FCA will focus on JEEP and Fiat cars will be phased out and hence one must not buy because spares availability will be tough etc.

If it is doing healthy business in terms of profit margins, even if you sell less than 1k cars per month it is fine, I suppose?

What's the expert opinion? Can/will Jeep and Fiat co-exist with their offerings?

[vested interest] i'm eyeing an abarth / urban cross 1.4 purchase in the near future (post GST probably)
Old 8th April 2017, 14:23   #2412
BHPian

Re: Actual Revenues & Profits of car manufacturers (via company filings)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sultanofswing View Post
Based on this data - how does it affect all the rumours about FIAT shutting shop going around in some threads - FCA will focus on JEEP and Fiat cars will be phased out and hence one must not buy because spares availability will be tough etc.

If it is doing healthy business in terms of profit margins, even if you sell less than 1k cars per month it is fine, I suppose?

What's the expert opinion? Can/will Jeep and Fiat co-exist with their offerings?

[vested interest] i'm eyeing an abarth / urban cross 1.4 purchase in the near future (post GST probably)
In all likelihood, they will phase the FIAT brand out because it carries too much baggage. They will still sell engines and concentrate on marketing their brands like Jeep. I wonder if they will bring Dodge or Plymouth or something like that into India from their portfolio.
Old 8th April 2017, 19:35   #2413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
In all likelihood, they will phase the FIAT brand out because it carries too much baggage. They will still sell engines and concentrate on marketing their brands like Jeep.
A different possible view though it may be wrong assumption. They may not phase out Fiat. People today are aware though Jeep and Fiat are different brands, they have same parent company. The main grouse with Fiat is inconsistent service and there is no new product in last 3-4 years. If they phase out Fiat, people opting for Jeep may get skeptical of future of Jeep brand as well.

Besides if Fiat launches new product like Tipo sedan or any other model in late 2018/early 2019, it may not earn profit immediately. But even if it is able to break even, overall it shall be better goodwill for FCA as a whole in the long run.

Also it is not necessary that they should discontinue Punto/Linea if they launch Tipo etc, because as per reports Tipo is less appealing to enthusiasts but tilted towards more practical, spacious, mass market oriented. Hence it can serve both class of buyers.

Also taking sales/service or at least sales in their own hand shall avoid division of margin/loss between FCA and dealers.

Last edited by GTO : 15th June 2017 at 10:21. Reason: Typo
HydroFuel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2017, 18:20   #2414
Senior - BHPian

Re: How some car manufacturers have evolved in just 5 - 10 years...and some haven't

Forget Palio or Linea T-jet, Fiat gave India the Abarth Punto. Product-wise there are worse manufacturers but its the thin network that is killing it (if not dead already).

I mean people are spending lakhs upgrading their Polos and even after spending all that money it hardly a match for the scorpion. I think Fiat has made some amazing cars for India and their after sales isn't worse than Skoda but you don't see so many Fiat cars simply because you don't see too many Fiat outlets to begin with.

I would hate to see Fiat leave India if at all they decide to shut shop.
Old 13th April 2017, 18:53   #2415
BHPian

Re: How some car manufacturers have evolved in just 5 - 10 years...and some haven't

Cannot completely blame Fiat for the disastrous run they have had all these years. The general populace of our nation has always followed the herd mentality.
While Japs/Koreans are known for products that are reliable and cheap ,the European/Germans have always sold cars that fall a little back in terms of reliability but are a lot more solid, well built and engineered and truly value for money as they age gracefully.
Fiat just like Skoda has fallen for this trap where the customers give more weight for the reliability but cheap quality over something that's better engineered and will more likely last longer.
Eg. An 8-10 yr old Baleno/Accent/Verna compared to a Linea of similar age.
We still see lots of Lineas that have been discontinued years ago still running on road. But not a lot of first generation Verna/Accent as they age quickly and are not worth keeping over longer time period.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks