Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th December 2012, 15:11   #1
BHPian

Volkswagen Vento expected in CNG Avatar. EDIT : Now Polo too!

Link to news article from motorbash.com
Quote:
It seems Volkswagen is beginning to understand the Indian market slowly but surely. Looking at the current trend of major percentage of car buyers ditching petrol-only cars and choosingalternate fuels, manufacturers are also trying to provide options in CNG and LPG apart from diesel.
The more interesting point here is that this trend has reached C2 segment sedans. The latest to join the CNG bandwagon is Honda with its City CNG which was launched a few days back at 9.54 Lac. Now, in an exclusive scoop, we reveal the next entrant here – Volkswagen! These spy pics confirm that Volkswagen is busy testing the CNG variant of its smallest sedan here in India, Vento.
Featured here is a red hot Vento with CNG pipes and a few wires running through the roof from the rear trunk. We spotted this mule yesterday afternoon in Pune, followed it up for a few kms and after noticing us taking pictures, this Vento driver took a turn and sped away.
The interiors were also all full with wires hanging everywhere, a few of which could also be seen in the attatched pics. These are the first and only pics of Vento CNG over the web.

We know your next question would be – “What is that TDI badge doing over there?” That is what our question, infact, is! And let us assure you, that Vento CNG is not coming in diesel. So, the best guess we can make is, “to fool everyone“. We have seen Volkswagen do that earlier as well.
The Volkswagen Vento CNG would have a factory fitted kit unlike Honda City CNG. Expected price hike would be in the range of Rs 50,000- 60,000. We expect the launch to take place pretty soon. Now that we have revealed the Vento CNG to you, let us turn our attention to the next probable candidate, Skoda Rapid, if the Germans are planning to equip it with this cheaper fuel option. Stay tuned till we dig deep!
My take: But obviously this was expected. I only wish VW pulls a fast one on Honda by making this available in the AT version as well.
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 16:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Vento expected in CNG Avatar

I still donot think that it would be anywhere in the near future. Their Diesel lineup is their strength and I think they would be concentrating more on that rather than opting for CNG.
Old 10th December 2012, 16:09   #3
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, I doubt whether they will launch CNG in Vento and Even, If they do, I doubt, It will help them to increase sale of Petrol vento. I guess, there is around 1.2-1.5 L difference between Petrol and diesel, version of Vento.

And if they come up with CNG avtar, I assume price of car will rise by a 60k-70k, So what's the point, I'll rather put in some more bucks and I'll pickup diesel anyday over CNG.

Less hassles, No time being wasted in lines, No additional weight in the car, etc etc.

My 2 cents.

Cheers,
Sameer
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 16:17   #4
BHPian

Why do VW need a CNG. They have a diesel mill in their stead. Adding a CNG will not increase the price point of the petrol variant but put it in the base diesel model.

Now why would a potential consumer by a CNGed model sacrificing the boot space instead of a diesel?
Old 10th December 2012, 17:17   #5
BHPian

I have my doubts on VW launching the Vento in a CNG guise anywhere in the near future. It is not their competency and going by their history; they would be extremely wary. Also as I see it, they have enough and more to do within their current lineup. In any case, VW wouldn't get anywhere near commissioning this project without extensive and exhaustive testing. That itself could take months, if not years.

Last edited by Omtoatom : 10th December 2012 at 17:19.
Old 10th December 2012, 17:35   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Now why would a potential consumer by a CNGed model sacrificing the boot space instead of a diesel?
That's right. I have only seen a few people using a A3 segment car on CNG. These are typical sedate drivers who mostly commute alone, primarily using the car for office commute and have an alternative car (like a utility or A4 segment) in the family.

Doesn't seem like it's going to capture a lot buyers.
Old 10th December 2012, 18:27   #7
Senior - BHPian

Motorbash's latest spy sightings of the CNG-ed Vento with "CNG" stickers confirms the same. Here's the link to their report:

http://motorbash.com/xclusive-mb-vw-...s-launch-near/

BTW, this thread can be merged with the existing thread on the VW cars & strategy. Mods please do the needful.
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2012, 22:31   #8
BHPian

I came across the article and thought of sharing. I personally have no confirmed news that VW will offer CNG on the Vento. Having said that I can see a market, even if it is small.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
I guess, there is around 1.2-1.5 L difference between Petrol and diesel, version of Vento.
You are right. But do note this difference is in ex-showroom price. On-road in Mumbai difference between Highline Petrol and Diesel is 2.24L.

Quote:
And if they come up with CNG avtar, I assume price of car will rise by a 60k-70k,
Again that will be exshowroom difference. I assumed on-road may add another 10K, this would still make is cheaper by 1.4L on-road in Mumbai.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arup.misra View Post
Note the mentioned price difference. There is at least 1 BHPian I know who has CNG'd his Vento. Possibly Cabs, can be a market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omtoatom View Post
In any case, VW wouldn't get anywhere near commissioning this project without extensive and exhaustive testing. That itself could take months, if not years.
Would it really require months of testing? RTO already certifies retrofitted CNG, so should not take too much to get a clearance for a factory fitted CNG.

I can see the Vento CNG as a second car in the family. Not requiring the entire boot space but enough for grocery shopping. Keeps the status value of the big car. Also, why loose out to competition (i.e. Honda).

Disclaimer: Prices mentioned above are sourced from carwale.com
Disclaimer2: I was already considering getting a used Vento and CNG'ing it, when I googled 'cng in vento automatic' and came across this.

Last edited by kmadhok : 10th December 2012 at 22:33. Reason: added disclaimer 2
Old 10th December 2012, 23:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

^^Don't forget the hassles, you will face, standing in lines. I assume you don't have CNG car, Trust me sometimes it gets very annoying to stand in lines to get CNG and yes, I have CNG'ed car

Plus, out on highways, You don't get CNG everywhere. I have decided that my next car will be diesel for sure, no matter, I have to shell out even, 1.5L over petrol car, But still, IMO diesel is worth for the premium, If you've a good yearly running.

Cheers,
Sameer
Old 11th December 2012, 10:53   #10
BHPian

^^
Quote:
..If you've a good yearly running.
That is the catch right? People (read I) don't have a yearly running to justify a diesel, but still cannot digest paying more for petrol. And if we want the convenience of an Automatic [read higher fuel consumption], then CNG would make sense. If the extra taxation on the diesel vehicles becomes a reality the price difference increases. I read elsewhere on a different forum that CNG will receive a big push not so distant in the future.
Trust me I hate waiting, total waste of time. But in Mumbai it does not seem to be as bad as in Delhi. and with bunks less than 3kms from home, this can be a after dinner drive to fill up gas.
While I won't jump the gun on a CNG'd Vento, I feel there can be a market, even if it is small.
kmadhok is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 11:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmadhok View Post
While I won't jump the gun on a CNG'd Vento, I feel there can be a market, even if it is small.
Totally agree. In fact, I'd say market can be created as well, for example the Duster or to take it to an extreme - the ipad!!!

I think CNG is the future. The skew towards diesels in the present market means that theres an ever increasing differential in the prices of used cars (between Petrol and Diesel variants) and this means that at some point it wont be as viable to buy a used Diesel car. People will just buy used Petrol car for cheap, add a CNG unit and that would mean substantial savings. What would be the point of buying a used Diesel car (except for the few who want to have some fun)?

CNG Vento, in my view, totally makes sense. It might also be that company still has unsold petrol stock and they can convert that into CNG and sell that. It should make for a more attractive option to the buyer than Petrol only version.
joslicx is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 17:04   #12
Senior - BHPian

& the Polo will also be available in CNG avtar. Here is Motorbash' report on CNG-ed Polo under tests:

http://motorbash.com/xclusive-mb-sco...ht-red-handed/

Coming to the topic of how can the CNG help sell few more numbers, I feel that in States/ UTs where CNG supply is good, it can help few more numbers of the petrol variant when people need not find the reason to upgrade to the Diesel variant (because of preference or usage).
CARDEEP is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 20:42   #13
BHPian

VW Polo CNG spotted testing, launch soon

http://motoroids.com/news/volkswagen...d-launch-soon/

"Volkswagen India is surely betting big on the CNG car market in India. Only today, we reported in detail about the upcoming Volkswagen Vento CNG and now, Motorbach has also come up with pics of Volkswagen Polo CNG.

As with the Volkswagen Vento CNG, the Volkswagen Polo CNG that was spotted had CNG stickers on its windscreens. Unlike the Vento CNG, which would come to us in its entry level trim level, the Polo CNG will be more loaded and would have features like body-coloured door-handles, ORVMs and alloy wheels." - Motoroids

Pics Source: Motorbash, News Source: Motoroids
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Vento expected in CNG Avatar. EDIT : Now Polo too!-volkswagenpolocnglaunch1.jpg  

Volkswagen Vento expected in CNG Avatar. EDIT : Now Polo too!-volkswagenpolocnglaunch4.jpg  

Last edited by neerajpv87 : 11th December 2012 at 20:44.
neerajpv87 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2012, 22:26   #14
BHPian

Re: VW Polo CNG spotted testing, launch soon

Good news that! I hope dealers will be able to install kits on existing ones, I am dreaming I'll be able to put one on my Fabia. I know I can get the kits outside too, but I would prefer the official VW kit.
Old 12th December 2012, 09:14   #15
BHPian

That's good news..
But in city like pune, one had to think twice before going for the installation.

Pune has a serious shortage of CNG pumps, and the queue in front of the handful pumps on offer is a major turn off.

Can't these automotive giants put pressure on the system to open more outlets..
It would only benefit there sales.
Just a thought though.

Cheers
Abhijeet.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks