Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 5th April 2013, 15:15   #31
BHPian

re: *Rumour* - Hyundai to launch i20-based sedan

As per Autocar india report Hyundai HB20S is not coming to India
It is designed especially for the south american market and is built on an entirely different platform making it unviable for the Indian market
Old 5th April 2013, 18:41   #32
Senior - BHPian

Re: *Rumour* - Hyundai to launch i20-based sedan

There is not much gap between i20 sedan and Verna. IF really needed Hyundai can bring a striped down version of the verna itself(why would they do so since they are doing good numbers there?)

They really need something in a sub 4m to get that excise benefit with which they can get into aggressive pricing.

All hyundai look same now a days. Its not a bad thing, but then i10 buyer can go for Eon, Elantra buyer can settle for Verna etc. since finally they look same and cannibalize their respective premium models.
Old 6th April 2013, 13:42   #33
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by oops View Post
As per announcement by Hyundai, what I feel is:
1. Compact SUV- HB20x(will be under 4m) - will be priced about 1 or 1.2Lac more than i20, making top-end model priced at 8L, targetting customers of Ecosport.

2. Compact Sedan- HB20s(will be 4.2m with 1.4L CRDi engine)- will be priced about 1 or 1.3Lac more than HB20x, making top-end model priced at 9.3L.

3. Verna base would get 1.6 CRDI engine, discontinuing 1.4 CRDi engine in Verna and increasing prise by 50k.

4. Actually HB20 is modified i20, where i stands for India and HB stands for Hyundai Brazil

5. Brazil has Elantra but no Verna.

6. HB20s is mainly targetted for likes of Sunny(top model is priced at 8.78L), Scala(top model is priced at 9.5L) and Rapid(top model is priced at 9.3L).

7. After all these, Facelift of Verna 9ofcourse some bumper modifications to increase length) will be introduced with price increase of 20-30K.

Hoping to have cracked the Korean Brain completely.
No, sorry I dont agree with you. I still stand by my views in the earlier post.

But I'm really thankful for your post - for I had missed the news on HB20X. Now thats an impressive piece of equipment, and could really take the fight to the Ecosport. And since HB20 is not there in our market - it wont look too much like a raised hatchback.
Old 10th September 2013, 11:14   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hyundai Grand i10-based compact sedan coming in 2014

Link to News Section

Hyundai India has just launched the Grand i10, a car that is positioned between the i10 and the i20 hatchbacks. The South Korean car maker is already putting together a compact sedan based on the Grand i10. According to a report on HindustanTimes, the new Hyundai compact sedan will be launched in April 2014. This timeline also indicates that the compact sedan could make an appearance at the 2014 Indian Auto Expo, a big ticket event where many upcoming vehicles are showcased.

*Rumour* - Hyundai to launch i20-based sedan-2013-hyundai-i10-grand.jpg

The Grand i10-based compact sedan will serve as a replacement to the Hyundai Accent sedan, a car that came in petrol, LPG and CNG variants and that was recently discontinued from the Indian market. The new compact sedan will sit below the Verna Fluidic, as Hyundai's entry level sedan offering in India. Both petrol and turbo diesel engine options are likely to be offered on the Grand i10-based Hyundai compact sedan.

It remains to be seen whether Hyundai persists with the 1.1 liter U2 CRDI, triple pot turbo diesel engine on the compact sedan version of the Grand i10. Since the Grand i10 does feature generous levels of equipment, expect a similar strategy for the Hyundai compact sedan as well. Also, twin airbags and ABS+EBD should be standard on the top-end variants of the car, given the competition that the Hyundai compact sedan will have to contend with.

*Rumour* - Hyundai to launch i20-based sedan-hyundai-accent-executive.jpg

Hatchbacks being engineered into sub-4 meter compact sedans is something that's becoming common place in the Indian car market. While the Tata Indigo eCS (a booted version of the Indica hatchback) kick started the sub-4 meter compact sedan trend in India, the likes of the Maruti Suzuki Dzire and the Honda Amaze have proven to be the big sales spinners for their respective brands in the compact sedan category. With the arrival of the Grand i10-based compact sedan, this trend will only get stronger.

Hyundai has also announced that it is developing a compact SUV that will take on the likes of the Ford EcoSport and the Renault Duster. In fact, test mules of the Hyundai compact SUV have already been spotted on Korean roads. A late 2014/early 2015 launch time frame for the compact SUV is likely. Hyundai is also developing an MPV that will rival the likes of the Honda Mobilio (Brio-based compact MPV) and the Maruti Suzuki Ertiga.

Last edited by JayPrashanth : 10th September 2013 at 11:23. Reason: News Link Added
JayPrashanth is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 18:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

I am not sure if its just me, although the Grand i10 looks great, but the picture of the Accent below it looks like a breath of fresh air/respite, low and wide. But then, that era is unfortunately all, but, gone.
Old 10th September 2013, 19:22   #36
Team-BHP Support

Re: Hyundai Grand i10-based compact sedan coming in 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
The Grand i10-based compact sedan.
Here is a PS sketch I made few days back-using Grand i10 design coupled with fluidic boot design from the Verna sedan.

*Rumour* - Hyundai to launch i20-based sedan-1124670d1376330525hyundaigrandi10officialpreviewdrivehyundaii10grandsedan.jpg

Apologies for any format issues- Posting from mobile.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 10th September 2013 at 19:23.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th September 2013, 20:04   #37
Senior - BHPian

Re: Hyundai Grand i10-based compact sedan coming in 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Here is a PS sketch I made few days back-using Grand i10 design coupled with fluidic boot design from the Verna sedan.

Attachment 1136718

Apologies for any format issues- Posting from mobile.
I am ready to buy if the car is going to look like that. This looks like the best sub-4m sedan in the world(considering that sub-4m sedans are found only in India)
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

IAB has reported a scoop that, the Grand i10 sedan prototypes are ready for road tests.
They are reporting that the sedan will duck under the 4m length thereby making it a Maruti Dzire and Honda Amaze competitor.

The first few prototypes have already been built and testing has already commenced.
The source was specific to point out that the rear door has been carried over from the Grand i10 without any changes to its design.
The pillar line starts slim from the top of the door and thickens as it reaches the bootlid.
The boot itself may look small from the outside, but it should match the competition in terms of volume.
The taillight’s design as a “typical Hyundai design” and said that it stretches into the bootlid.

As far as the powertrain options go, it would share the same engine options as that of the Grand i10 – a 1.2-liter Kappa2 petrol engine and a 1.1-liter U2 CRDi three-cylinder diesel engine.

*Rumour* - Hyundai to launch i20-based sedan-hyundaii10sedan.jpg
Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/10/h...0-sedan-101337
sarathlal is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2013, 10:47   #39
Senior - BHPian

As expected.. looks way better than the honda/suzuki designs.

This thing will sell like hot cakes.. like Verna
Old 22nd October 2013, 11:02   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post
IAB has reported a scoop that, the Grand i10 sedan prototypes are ready for road tests.
They are reporting that the sedan will duck under the 4m length thereby making it a Maruti Dzire and Honda Amaze competitor.

The first few prototypes have already been built and testing has already commenced.
The source was specific to point out that the rear door has been carried over from the Grand i10 without any changes to its design.
The pillar line starts slim from the top of the door and thickens as it reaches the bootlid.
The boot itself may look small from the outside, but it should match the competition in terms of volume.
The taillight’s design as a “typical Hyundai design” and said that it stretches into the bootlid.

As far as the powertrain options go, it would share the same engine options as that of the Grand i10 – a 1.2-liter Kappa2 petrol engine and a 1.1-liter U2 CRDi three-cylinder diesel engine.
It looks way more proportional than any other under 4m sedan in India. This is almost same as what @CrAzY dRiVeR had uploaded few posts earlier.

Hopefully it will get the 1.4L 90bhp diesel mill that the i20's got under its hood, instead of 1.1L engine in the i10 Grand.
Old 22nd October 2013, 12:14   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CARDEEP View Post
It looks way more proportional than any other under 4m sedan in India. This is almost same as what @CrAzY dRiVeR had uploaded few posts earlier.

Hopefully it will get the 1.4L 90bhp diesel mill that the i20's got under its hood, instead of 1.1L engine in the i10 Grand.
While that would be nice, I doubt that will happen. Hyundai will take aim at Honda Amaze and for that they will need good mileage figures to market. So it will be back to the 1.1L engine with higher power delivery.
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:18   #42
Senior - BHPian

Atlast some serious competition to the Dzire. Yes, the Amaze has had phenomenal response as well, but its 6-7k numbers are half the numbers that the dzire does even after 6 months of launch. May be its a capacity issue with Honda, but Hyundai really has the production capacity and dealer network to challenge Maruti in a bigger way than Honda. Grande Sedan means bye bye Manza CS/ Chevy Sail / Verito / Fiesta classic / Linea Classic etc, since the weaker cars get hit first. 90% of the entry level c sedan segment will split between between the Dzire, Amaze & Grande sedan.
Old 22nd October 2013, 14:49   #43
BHPian

Is there any connection between Grand i10 Sedan and Hyundai HB20S?

Note: HB20S > 4 meters

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarathlal View Post

Attachment 1155709
Source: http://indianautosblog.com/2013/10/h...0-sedan-101337
Attached Thumbnails
*Rumour* - Hyundai to launch i20-based sedan-2013hyundaihb20ssedan2.jpg  

Old 22nd October 2013, 15:03   #44
Team-BHP Support

No. Because both are based on two different cars / platform.

This sedan would not be anything more than Grand i 10 with a boot.
Old 22nd October 2013, 15:18   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aditya101 View Post
Is there any connection between Grand i10 Sedan and Hyundai HB20S?

Note: HB20S > 4 meters
Its a totally different platform without parts sharing with any model sold in India. HB20S will be in the same segment as Verna and hence Hyundai might not bring it here. Unlike Maruti, Hyundai doesn't believe in 2 cars co-existing in the same segment as is evident from the removal of 1.2 Kappa option from i10 with the launch of Grand.

When it is time for next generation Verna, they could go for any of the below options
1. Next gen Accent, when introduced in US market.
2. Sedan based on i20 platform. No length constraints here, but a car designed as a sedan might still be better than a hatch-converted-sedan where the original design was for the hatch.
3. Next gen HB20S.

Option 3 looks least probable, considering they don't get any real benefits out of it.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed