Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st December 2012, 11:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

*Rumour* - Hyundai to launch i20-based sedan

Hyundai seems to be planning for sedan version of the i20.

Mods, Please merge if a thread already exists.

Quote:
Expected: Late 2013; Price: Rs 5 - 7 lakh

With flagging Accent sales and no fluidic design car in the entry level sedan segment, Hyundai is expected to launch a new sedan based on the i20 hatchback by the end of 2013.

Featuring the frame and design of its smaller twin, it will be available in both petrol and diesel variants. An i20 with an integrated boot, it will probably be a sub 4-metre car packed with features, expected to replace the Accent
Source: zigwheels.com

Considering the length and the shape of i20, I just hope they don't try to restrict the length within 4m. That would make it weirder than Dzire. On the other hand, if it cannot take advantage of the lower excise duty, it could be close to Verna's pricing.

Ideal candidate to replace Accent should have been a sedan based on the next generation i10, which would give them enough length margin to gracefully add a boot and make it look like a proper sedan, making it a strong competitor to Amaze and Dzire.

Last edited by zenren : 21st December 2012 at 11:09.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 11:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

Looks like these Hyundai guys are good at marketing. The i20 itself is priced from close to 5L for the base petrol version to 7.6L for the top end Diesel. I can't believe that they would launch a sedan with the same price (if at all) of i20.
rameshnanda is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 11:37   #3
BHPian

re: *Rumour* - Hyundai to launch i20-based sedan

I seriously doubt the authenticity of this news.

i20 is 3940 mm in length i.e just 6 cm short of the 4m mark. Dont think it will be feasible to build a sedan on that platform below the 4m mark without extensive rework and investment.

Also note that the diesel i20 top end almost touches 9 lakhs OTR. The mentioned price range is laughable. There is the 1.4crdi Verna to the price conscious leaving no room for the i20 sedan.

This might just be somebody's weird imagination at work for all we know.
revintup is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 11:39   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Hyundai seems to be planning for sedan version of the i20.

Considering the length and the shape of i20, I just hope they don't try to restrict the length within 4m. That would make it weirder than Dzire. On the other hand, if it cannot take advantage of the lower excise duty, it could be close to Verna's pricing.
So Hyundai has started feeling the heat in the entry level sedan segment. Agreed that Accent is on the verge of being discontinued, they need to bring an entry level sedan to take on the Etios, Dzires etc and they need to get it ASAP. But based on i20 platform, doubt it. Also if priced close to Verna & if diesel variants are introduced, it will surely cannibalize the Verna sales figures.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st December 2012, 12:21   #5
Senior - BHPian

Compact SUV, Compact sedan and MPV are the new 'hot segments' that all manufacturers would want to have a presence in, though I'm not sure if the good numbers for compact sedan would continue once there are enough compact SUV alternatives at similar price points.

Price points are the imagination of the journalists based on the current range but the fact remains that the second largest car maker in India does not have a presence now in any of the above segments. They would be working overtime to get their presence in all these segments at least by end of 2013. Without this, their 2nd position could easily be at stake.

Sedan based on i10 should be more likely for the 5L-7L price range and would be ticking a lot more checkboxes than one based on i20. A compact sedan is surely going to come out from Hyundai before long, that is a pie they cannot afford to be not part of.
Old 4th April 2013, 09:46   #6
Team-BHP Support

Mods note: Thread opened again. http://www.zigwheels.com/news-featur...nveiled/16013/
Old 4th April 2013, 10:08   #7
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

But why? i20 based sedan will be thrashed by the Amaze as a Brand and Value proposition both. The Verna, Rapid, Vento, Sunny, Scala are all already present along with the Verna. The Verna is indeed priced on the higher side but there is not much margin between the i20 high end and the Verna lower end.

The Sedan market is not doing as well overall compared to Hatch and SUV's.

Don't know if Hyundia will be able to make the i20 into a good looking sedan. Hope then handle highspeed manners and braking distance as well at the same time.
Old 4th April 2013, 10:19   #8
Senior - BHPian

i20 based sedan? that too over 4 meters? won't it be too much into Verna territory?
IMO a i10 based compact sedan would have made more sense.
Old 4th April 2013, 10:21   #9
BHPian

I really like the sedan. The rear looks cool and interiors are really nice (typical hyundai). If priced 1.5 lacs lower than the Verna people will have options to choose from. So instead of Verna people who were looking for other cars might buy a Hyundai after-all, its Like maruti having multiple cars overlapping each other. I 20 has been in the market for a long time and parts sharing might actually bring the price down.

There is a huge price variation in Hyundai cars for the same model. The base price starts from one segment and top model ends in the higher segment.
Old 4th April 2013, 10:33   #10
BHPian

I don't get it.
i20 & Verna come closer on pricing front on many occasions and obviously there is more margin in selling a hatchback than a sedan.
How can they justify to sell the sedan cheaper than its hatchback brother?(as they plan to sell it below the Verna)
Is it the Jazz, City story all over again? Will be nostalgic to see if the turnout will remain the same.
Old 4th April 2013, 10:35   #11
BHPian

Just yesterday I was thinking of same. Well in my opinion since i20 sedan should be a hit. Customer already prefer i20 over swift.

Given a choice of buying a Hyundai sedan in 6-7 Lac I would definitely go for hit.

How different pricing would be from the hatchback ? Since i20 is already a premium to pay for, sedan would at least be 1L costlier.

Last edited by vivek.ks : 4th April 2013 at 10:38.
Old 4th April 2013, 10:44   #12
Senior - BHPian

Looks good. Competition between biggies eventually ends in better deals for the end buyers. So sure, I would love to see this avatar take shape.

But, if priced at par with the top end i20, it would cannibalize a part of the Asta and Asta (O) sales. If priced higher it will directly compete with the Verna 1.4.
At what price point is Hyundai going to launch the i20 sedan is indeed a good question!

Last edited by 9thsphinx : 4th April 2013 at 10:45.
Old 4th April 2013, 11:00   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

With the i20 based, where is Hynudai going to price it? The pricing will be major head ache for Hyundai.

If they indeed under cut the price and place it below Verna, it will definitely take a chunck away from the Verna's sales. It may be more profitable to sell the Verna than the i20 based sedan.

One more addition to this crowded sedan segment. Instead, Hyundai can try something like the Etriga with the i20 Platform and introduce an MUV/LUV.
nkrishnap is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2013, 11:06   #14
BHPian

I20 based compact SUV would have made more sense than a compact sedan.If honda can plan a jazz based CSUV and VW, a polo based CSUV, then why not hyundai?
If they go the compact sedan way, i dont know how they are going to integrate a boot and still keep the length under 4 meters.Another dzire?
Old 4th April 2013, 11:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

The sedan looks really good, especially the rear 3 quarters which has been harmoniously integrated with the front of the car. I am assuming Hyundai is following the bandwagon of other manufacturers hatchback/sedan sibling products. Ideally they should do away with the 1.4 crdi variant in Verna and plonk that onto this car. To me it makes sense to introduce another product, though it may take away some sales numbers from Verna or i20, I don't think it will cannibalize these two established products. But a MUV like Ertiga would be nice as that is an emerging segment.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks