Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:50   #31
BHPian

Re: December 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

Exactly 12 months back, Tata was at No.2 position. I remember at that time, sales of Vista were averaging at 11k and Manza at 8k.

Overall sales have reduced with Manza sales going into the Sunny kitty, Nano to Alto, Safari to XUV and so on.

It will be good to see how 2 new honchos bring the sales back to No.2 or 3 position.
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford5 View Post
Sx4 sold 329 units only even with a diesel option? I guess showroom floors stopped promoting this car even though it has the proven diesel 1.3. Just cannot understand this. It's a Maruti after all.
Unlike other months, a higher sales figures in December need not always translate to higher profits for the companies/dealers, considering the heavy discounts they are forced to give.

SX4 and Wagon R are ready with the facelift. I guess MSIL might have decided to take minimum damage by utilizing the year end dull period to make the required changes in the assembly lines for both these models. Launch should be round the corner for both of them. Add to it, the SX4 had a 65k discount in December. So I guess their priority might have been to ensure the old stock got cleared more than sales numbers.
zenren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 00:01   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHG View Post
the 2015 Aria that is rumored to share a platform with the 2015 All New LR Defender (which itself could see production in India)
Ratan Tata has categorically said that there are no plans for JLR production in India with current Indian tax regime and policies.
Old 4th January 2013, 09:32   #34
M35
BHPian

Just 5 Aria sold in the whole month. Are you joking?
1400 Safari+ storme is also disappointing considering Storme as a new launch. Tata should have launched it all over india at once and stirred the market better.

Rexton seems to be doing well around 200 units for an unknown brand and will hopefully achieve 500+ in the coming months.

But the overpriced Fortuner is still going strong with no competition at all.

The XUV compared to last year has done better but when compared with Nov-12 ,the number has gone down [could be the year end factor ?]

The veteran Scorpio still manages to get 3300 takers is commendable considering the fact that there are many options to choose from,now.
Old 4th January 2013, 09:55   #35
BHPian

Clear disappointment from the sales figures this month. No manufacturer would really come out happy with the year end sales figures. Some or the other model has for each of the manufacturer has lost its sheen for some unknown reason.

Be it Maruti with the WagonR (probably due to the facelift coming up soon) and the badly gasping for breath Sx4 (i doubt if the face-lift version is really going to infuse new life into the old chap)

Hyundai would be grossly worried over there star performer the Verna. Nissan has an absolute nothing to show for. None of Nissan's models have really set the charts on fire ever. The Sunny brought in decent numbers briefly but has lost its gas now.

And dear oh dear Tata, when your cheapest car is not selling then you have a big reason to worry. Tata's with there new heads have a huge task at hand, though i don't really see Toyota over-taking them as the new No.4 purely since there bread and butter is the most expensive car from there stable - The Fortuner, i wonder how long can Toyota survive with the hatch's & sedans under-performing.

The lesser said the better of VW, Fiat & HM. Skoda though has stuck it big time, which might turn out to be a flash in the pan thanks to the year-end & anniversary offers on Rapid.

With a couple of biggies scheduled to hit the charts in Ecosport & the 1.5 iDtec, one doesn't see too much of a hope in the Auto market for some time to come !!!
Old 4th January 2013, 10:19   #36
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Somehow one gets a feeling that some of the manufacturers may have shifted a bit of Dec shipments to Jan as the buyer prefers cars manufactured in the new calender year, else the shipments are low in Dec due to the dealers and the company both focusing on inventory built up all through the year moving off the shelf rather than remaning with the Dealer for the same reason.

TATA could be one of the vendors affected and managing inventories this way but we would know soon as if that were indeed the case then Jan will have to be a much bigger month and Feb again could be lower before again a big march due to the companies with results from Apr to Mar dumping on to the dealers. Can believe the Nano numbers even with the special offers and limited edition goodies. Storme was yet to be released in most of India inb Dec.

Hyundai going down was quite surprising but then this could be the impact of petrol varients taking a dip?

M&M and Maruti seem to be the only safe brands in this kind of a market. Can't figure why one should choose the Alto over the Eon.

Toyota continues to grow or did the dump onto Dealers in Dec to meet Jan - Dec calender year based financials like the India based cos would do in March? If that is the case then Jan could be lower for them.

A bloodbath overall in Dec lets hope the market sentiments are better in 2013.
Old 4th January 2013, 10:21   #37
BANNED

Here is some confirmed news. The good old Wagon-R is definitely on the path to an extremely minor facelift. The drop in dispatched was a combined effect of switch over to the facelift and plant maintenance shut down at Maruti gurgaon plant. The Ertiga dispatches too suffered due to this very reason.
Carophilic is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 10:27   #38
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful analysis. The most awaited thread of the month is here and how!

My views now:

TATA
  • I am a bit surprised for TATA falling onto the 4th position. Their cars are good and should sell more. It's time for them to get back to drawing boards and launch new cars and fast. In my opition what they should do is as follows - start the promotion of Grande; change the interiors to that of Aria (just the layout) no gadgets/fancy features, give alloys as standard on the GX/LX variant, ABS and sells it as 2013 Grande.
  • Bring in the 2013 Nano fast with CNG and minor facelifts. I believe that they are loosing a majoring of the chunk to Alto only because of a lack of power steering. It may jack up the prices by a couple of thousands but make it available. Add more colors (Blue, Black and Java/bronze Brown) to the already trendy list. These are now the new in "vogue" colors. LX should have black roof as standard.
  • Indica - I have started seeing less and less of Indica and more and more of Vista on the road now; I am sure that Tata too is seeing it; why not kill or limit the supply of Indica to limited markets if it not selling too well. Agreed that it would have an emotional appeal to TATA but no longer a business appeal.
  • The introduction of a 90 PS diesel engine with side (normal) style dashboard is a welcome move from Tata. However, I still believe that the full potential of Vista is not used. They can and they should launch a "Marina" version of the Manza. The market is much more mature now and it should bring in some decent numbers.
  • Refresh models should be launched all other leftover products.
Chevrolet
  • While we are saying that Sail-UVA has failed to Sail; I would rate 1000+ units as a decent number for an already overcrowded market. With the presence of Swift, equally good I20 and the Figo, 1000+ is a decent number for them.
  • They should launch the Sail sedan quickly. However, if possible, some last minute changes i.e. ACC should be added to the Sedan as that is a must for today's lifestyle and the priceband.
  • Enjoy may not have a very enjoyable run unless they launch it quickly and with a mouthwatering pricetag.
  • What happened to Chevy Trax? This news has died down, they should be fast tracking that.
Fiat
  • I am looking forward to Fiat in this year. They should launch their facelifted Linea and Punto soon post March. I see their dealer in Thane but not customers there.
  • Bring in the Panda with a diesel heart and the price band should be 4-7 lakhs.
  • Jeep, 500L should keep Fiat busy throughout the year.
keep up the good work folks!
amtak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 10:41   #39
Senior - BHPian

As always Thanks a ton GTO and parrys for the most awaited thread of the month and as always I am late in checking this thread.

Tata's have only themselves to blame with no new launches and heavy discounts forcing the company to rethink their strategies. Whatever happened to the expected success which Tata were hoping when they roped in Karl Slymm. Storme did not even ruffle a few feathers leave apart raising a storm. I guess the bad run had even a worser impact on the Fiat sales. C'mon Fiat start thinking out the box, dont just get relegated to being the engine supplier only.

Ford had a fantastic run in Dec mainly IMO owning to the midnight sale and new look Figo. For once Fiesta classic sales overtook the City.

Surprised to see Pajero selling in 3 figures, was there some heavy discounts offered?

I guess the Diesel price hike spooked the would be customers for i20 for such a steep fall in the numbers. Me thinks the diesel cars are going to witness a further drop in sales if the proposed hike comes by.
Old 4th January 2013, 11:00   #40
M35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
TATA[list][*]I am a bit surprised for TATA falling onto the 4th position. Their cars are good and should sell more. It's time for them to get back to drawing boards and launch new cars and fast. In my opition what they should do is as follows - start the promotion of Grande; change the interiors to that of Aria (just the layout) no gadgets/fancy features, give alloys as standard on the GX/LX variant, ABS and sells it as 2013 Grande.
Sorry buddy I disagree here. You are talking about two dudes from Tata Grande and Aria. Even after offering mouth watering discounts ,lowering the price with stripped down versions still these vehicles can’t find takers. Whatever you do ,you need to start designing newer ,fresh and contemporary products or a look alike one at least to create a stir in the market . It is high time that Tata should get rid of the habit of naming products as Indica W, Indigo X ,safari Y and Sumo Z and launching similar looking products.

Both Grande and Aria,unfortunately I assume are dead.In case of Grande,it is not going to sell irrespective of however you modify it. There need be efforts to change the perception of people about the brand.
Old 4th January 2013, 11:37   #41
Senior - BHPian

* Superb 199, Camry 19!!, Sonata 20!!, Accord 79 (up from 30s), Passat 96!
* Jetta 293!, Laura 216, Elantra 428!!, Fluence 68, Corolla 155!! (from nearly 500 marks), Civic 70
- seems like VW is doing something right in both these segments to be able to sell their highly 'over-priced' offerings and Toyota has lost the plot here. Superb is holding on to its VFM proposition still.

* Fortuner 1260!!, Endeavour 220! (nearly double), Pajero Sport 207, Rexton 197
- seems people still trust their 20 big ones with a Toyota only albeit it being under-kitted.

Off notes -
- Nano needs a bigger engine. Better still a DIESEL!
- Corolla needs a price correction, a 2L heart for its diesel and more upmarket interiors for itself and the Liva/Etios twins.
- Tata needs a total quality overhaul
- Duster needs a stronger engine variant (2L) and better interiors to really spice things even more. Fluence is highly under-rated product. Deserves better sales. May be helped by a 2L heart.
- Would love to know Alto 800 and K10 segregation.

Last edited by dkaile : 4th January 2013 at 11:47.
dkaile is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 12:09   #42
Senior - BHPian

All is not lost for TaMo, IMO. They should gain back some of the numbers in the next quarter or so, thanks to their upcoming launches, viz,

Vista with the conventional dashboard and 90PS Quadra and the CR4 engines.

Refreshed Nano with CNG. According to Rohin Nagrani of BSM, the refreshed Nano has new bumpers, tail lights, rear glass and yes a openable hatch. And, if it also comes with the much speculated 3cylinder petrol engine, it can address a much broader customer base. I, for one, am waiting for this 3cyl Nano!

Two products from the Tata stable that could have been decent volume garners but are lying in doldrums are Grande and Venture.

I fail to understand why the diesel Venture sells so less when it has no direct competition. On the other hand the petrol powered Eeco and Omni do almost 6K every month!

Last edited by safari_lover : 4th January 2013 at 12:11.
Old 4th January 2013, 12:50   #43
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
Do not see any belated treat here. What happened to Petrol: Diesel numbers?
Quote:
Originally Posted by aim120 View Post
Why no breakdown of petrol and diesel numbers.
Here you go! Added to the opening posts also.

The Petrol : Diesel Split (available for the following manufacturers only, others aren't willing to share yet).

HM
Ambassador 41 : 231

Nissan
Micra 154 : 562
Sunny 116 : 1401

Skoda
Fabia 36 : 183
Rapid 199 : 1691
Superb 77 : 122

Toyota
Innova 1 : 6457
Corolla 70 : 85
Etios 345 : 1812
Liva 246 : 1764
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th January 2013, 13:47   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
I fail to understand why the diesel Venture sells so less when it has no direct competition. On the other hand the petrol powered Eeco and Omni do almost 6K every month!
I have seen Venture used as a shared auto in many places in Chennai. I feel this is the positionining/marketing problem by TATA. They were not sure where to position this Venture. And after seeing the shared autos one will feel that Venture is a better version of Ace Auto. I guess this is impacting the sales bcause as far as I know people would be okay to buy a car which is popular in a taxi segment but not a auto as their family vehicle.
Old 4th January 2013, 14:15   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post

The Petrol : Diesel Split (available for the following manufacturers only, others aren't willing to share yet).

Superb 77 : 122

Corolla 70 : 85
Superb, the lone petrol warrior in the last month's report seems to have gone the diesel way this month. Only Corolla with its puny diesel heart seems to have comparable petrol:diesel mix.

Would be interesting to see what the next Rs.5/10 price hike in diesel could do to the ratios. For now, diesel rules.
CoolFire is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks