Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:06   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: December 2012 : Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis

In the Bolero sales are Bolero Maxitruck sales included? They sell a whole lot of them to ferry people, livestock, vegetables and there is no competition to them.
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:13   #17
BHPian

GTO, thanks for the very detailed report (as usual)!
One quick observation is the new baby Rexton has nearly 200 shipments where as our home grown TATA Aria has just 5. Any reasone behind this or this is the people verdict?
Old 3rd January 2013, 18:41   #18
Team-BHP Support

I'd expected a far worse sales chart considering what a dull month this has been, loads of business news channels were already reporting the steep fall in sales. Thankfully, it doesn't look so bad.

- From the very first graph, what can be concluded is that the market is gradually shifting its focus away from traditional C2/D1-segment sedans and instead towards SUVs and MUVs. I was a bit surprised to see the Verna sales fall by 50%. Barring the DZire, all the top sellers in that list are hatchbacks and SUV/MUVs. I can only imagine the Ford Ecosport nudging its way somewhere into this list once it is launched with a competitive price and engine options.

- Alto 800 - many people commented on its horrible looks compared to its predecessor. That doesn't seem to have affected it one bit in the sales chart. Great going

- Nissan Evalia: Expecting it to sell like hotcakes was wrong anyway. No offense meant, but who will want to buy a car which looks like an ambulance with a paint job , and supposedly "moves like music"? Not me for sure. Innova looks and drives far better, is better equipped and comes with the famed Toyota service network unlike Nissan's non-existent network.

- About Fiat : I'm going to sound like a stuck record now. On every single monthly report thread people keep commenting and lamenting about their sales, and those who know about their independent network keep repeating this. Let me repeat it once again : Fiat is concentrating on establishing the independent dealership network and getting that running by March 2013. THAT is their primary focus area now rather than marketing or advertising for more sales numbers. YES, their sales will be low until they launch any new products or wake up their marketing departments. Let us please stop posting/ranting about the same thing again and again, and instead move on and concentrate on other aspects of the sales chart

Last edited by KarthikK : 3rd January 2013 at 18:53.
KarthikK is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:17   #19
Senior - BHPian

Excellent report, as usual - thanks guys!

Whats wrong with Brio? How could it not sell atleast 5K per month? Especially with the new EX model? Beats me..

Cant help but feel sorry for Tata Motors.. Cant imagine they going down to 5th position - pls!! Hope 2013 models change their fortunes! One thing that would surely help them is better build quality..

Any news on the new WagonR launch? Someone I know seems to be very interested already!!

Eon seems to be picking up well. This neat car deserves atleast 50% numbers of Alto.. Do they have plans of launching the 1 litre engine, like the Alto K10? Wouldnt harm I thought.

Last edited by Equus : 3rd January 2013 at 19:31.
Old 3rd January 2013, 19:44   #20
Senior - BHPian

Time of the month to go through the numbers, many thanks for that GTO. Appears that Maruti models (Alto, Swift, Desire) have a stupendous market share. All three put together accounts for 56746 of 142730 that means a whooping 39.75%.
If Maruti get their home work right for their Alpha Concept SUV that percentage should readily increase. Maruti should be very pleased as Swift & Desire share the same platform which makes it even more mouth watering. (30512 Units)
ku69rd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:39   #21
BHPian

Tata Sumo sale figure for Nov 2012 was 2959 units and now for December 2012 it is just 1451 !! Massive drop of over 50 % in just one month and that too even after heavy discount offer. I am unable to understand this drop.
Old 3rd January 2013, 20:57   #22
BHPian

Nothing more satisfies the mind than this monthly report from the TBHP stalwarts. Great compilation GTO. Thanks.

But the auto industry just is not in a mood to satisfy anybody. The japs at MSL would be happy they developed something called "Swift". Its an unstoppable horse now. Nothing to say about "Alto". Rosy as ever.

And Tata are just not doing enough to stall there free fall. Toyota is catching up fast. There is not much time for complacency by the Tata camp anymore, a bit more and they will be better managing there commercial segment only. New products that deliver is the only answer. Carl Slym must be feeling the heat.

All credits to M&M for their good products and good show. Only a home brand can beat another home grown brand. Well done.
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:14   #23
Senior - BHPian

Little late, but as usual crisp analysis. kudos

1. Wondering what happened to WagonR which always had sales of 10K per month+
2. Quanto seems to be settling in a nice range of close to 2.5K-3K per month. I am liking this car/van(dont know what to call it, but not SUV) more and more as i see it.
3. Innovas selling more than Etios twins combined .. Wow. Cabbies surely prefer Innova over Etios
4. Duster and Ertiga sales are slightly down - may be year end effect, but its high time renault stops playing around and delivers what customers ask for and does not touch price anymore.
rajshenoy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:25   #24
Senior - BHPian

Tata Motors has a lot to worry about the next year roadmap. More than losing the #4 spot to Toyota, they should be worried about further drop down the ladder once the Amaze and Ecosport gets launched and starts selling volumes to get Honda and Ford to the 5 digit monthly sales. Even at 30% of DZire's monthly numbers, that is more than the total monthly numbers for some of the manufacturers.

If Sail sedan/UVA/Enjoy catches up some numbers, Chevy is another manufacturer who could potentially go above Tata. Considering the acceptance of Sail-UVA so far, that doesn't seem very likely but Honda and Ford would most likely overtake Chevy in a few months post the new launches.

Seems to be a very tough year ahead for Tata Motors unless they are willing to change from their current operating model. Where is the much talked about Manza CS?
Old 3rd January 2013, 21:55   #25
BHPian

Do not see any belated treat here. What happened to Petrol: Diesel numbers?
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:05   #26
BHPian

GTO Thanks for the sales figures.

The Wagon R selling only 4300 units instead of it's usual 12,000+ seems really strange. I had mentioned in another thread that Wagon R Vxi's were not available in December 2012. Only the Lxi CNG variants.

I went to Vitesse today in the hope of spotting the new face lifted Wagon R but they had nothing. No Wagon R's available - period. Nothing for the next 10 days either! Something strange going on here. Even the test drive car was missing. Asked again about a new model but no answers were forthcoming. I'm sure there is something more than a facelift being launched. There is no way Maruti is going to lose out on sales of their "bread and butter" model without good reason.

Guess I'll just have to wait for the official launch. Let's hope its a Waggy with a diesel engine under the bonnet.

Regards,
SS
Old 3rd January 2013, 22:17   #27
MHG
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Appears that Maruti models (Alto, Swift, Desire) have a stupendous market share. All three put together accounts for 56746 of 142730 that means a whooping 39.75%.
If Maruti get their home work right for their Alpha Concept SUV that percentage should readily increase. Maruti should be very pleased as Swift & Desire share the same platform which makes it even more mouth watering. (30512 Units)
Currently its Swift, DZire and Ertiga from the same platform. Soon there will be a 4th car (XA-Alpha) from the same platform and there can be no doubt that its going to be a runaway success considering how the C2 market is moving away to small MUVs and SUVs instead of Sedans. Could Swift be called India's national platform ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by justwheels View Post
And Tata are just not doing enough to stall there free fall. Toyota is catching up fast. There is not much time for complacency by the Tata camp anymore, a bit more and they will be better managing there commercial segment only. New products that deliver is the only answer. Carl Slym must be feeling the heat.
For some reason I have a feeling Tata has something really good up their sleeve which should atleast be previewed before the end of 2013. A lot of things that can set the market on fire are currently cooking - Diesel nano which should hopefully arrive this year, the sub-4m SUV set for launch in 2014-2015, the 2015 Aria that is rumored to share a platform with the 2015 All New LR Defender (which itself could see production in India), Tata's Zero Turn technology which can do wonders in India (and the rest of the world), etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshenoy View Post
Little late, but as usual crisp analysis. kudos

1. Wondering what happened to WagonR which always had sales of 10K per month+
Dealers stopped taking bookings and current stocks are being cleared to make room for the WagonR refresh that is going to be launched shortly.

Quote:
2. Quanto seems to be settling in a nice range of close to 2.5K-3K per month. I am liking this car/van(dont know what to call it, but not SUV) more and more as i see it.
How about just calling it what it really is ? Oddly shaped MUV ?

Quote:
3. Innovas selling more than Etios twins combined .. Wow. Cabbies surely prefer Innova over Etios
Wrong. Cabbies have taken to LOVE Etios. Its the single reason why Verito is unable to sell well despite being priced much lower than any other sedan in the country.

Innova sells because though its just a van/MUV, people like its practicality and reliability and for some reason it has ended up becoming an "Image Car" in several cities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Tata Motors has a lot to worry about the next year roadmap. More than losing the #4 spot to Toyota, they should be worried about further drop down the ladder once the Amaze and Ecosport gets launched and starts selling volumes to get Honda and Ford to the 5 digit monthly sales.
Bingo. I see the #4 spot easily occupied by Honda once their Diesel lineup arrives. Ford still has image problems due to being an American company, but Honda has lots and lots of respect (similar to Toyota) and they've been surviving currently with just Petrol cars. If they bring Diesel engines to India nobody can stop them from becoming #4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunilrj View Post
Nissan Evalia. The Much Touted People Mover doesnt seem to be Moving well. Yet to see one in Mangalore yet!

Sunny seems to be losing its Sun-Shine. The Caaar Sales slowing down a Little.
Doesn't this have something to do with the standoff between Nissan and its Dealers ? Its such a pity.
MHG is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:01   #28
gemi_kk

As usual, Excellent report. Thank you Mod's.

I don't understand how Maruti is managing volumes. 27K Altos? God… how are they selling in this gloom?
In the hatches space, In one month, Swift sales reach 17K around and Dzire stands at 13K. The following month, Swift falls to 13K mark where as Dzire sells 17K. This pattern is occurring regularly and i dont understand why?
Figo kept the pace. Ford must be happy.
Indica/Vista. Something is happening with Tata.

Sedans space, Vento lost marginal share. Rapid's birthday offer seems to have worked to some extent.
Etios twins haven't lost much. Huh.. they don't have much to loose too.
Verna loosing its share is what i don't understand.
Indigo Manza, worst performers.

SUV Space, ARIA sold only 5 Units? Man, i don't understand what Tata is doing at home.
I don't understand what Tata motors sales people are doing. Are they trying to sell the cars or are they relaxing? Agreed that their cars look dull but the company shouldn't let them to let the sales go down by 50%.
Nissan must launch Duster copy soon. IF not, they will soon loose more share. May be they are planning to compete For FIAT's position.

Last edited by GTO : 4th January 2013 at 12:58. Reason: Lets not make this a Fiat discussion

Old 3rd January 2013, 23:12   #29
BHPian

Sx4 sold 329 units only even with a diesel option? I guess showroom floors stopped promoting this car even though it has the proven diesel 1.3. Just cannot understand this. It's a Maruti after all.
Old 3rd January 2013, 23:37   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Why no breakdown of petrol and diesel numbers.The sales of december will always be lower due to people wanting to buy it next year.

I wonder if fiat can ever recover its image in India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks